PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Huddersfield Town

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 December 2018

Alabaster Codify7

Enjoyed it - 3 more goals, some fast, attacking football and 3 more pts.

Defensively we are still midtable quality though. Huddersfield and Cardiff shouldn't be scoring against teams with major aspirations, they are filthy teams with filthy attacking football. But, 8 goals in 2 games against them is the type of numbers the top title contenders get so we have to be happy we're at least moving in the right direction.

Pogba was immense, nice to see a cameo from Gomes too.

Lingard needs rotating out though, Martial back in for Bournemouth please!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Still have some work to do defensively but is the feel good factor back?

Oh boy yes! To see the coaching staff hugging each other, the smiles, the communication is such a joy after Jose’s miserable demeanour

The play was very positive from the start and with better finishing we would have been 2-0 up at HT. It was good for a change to see us continuing the attacking even after the second goal.
Pleased to see Angel on

lex talionis

Beautiful stuff today. We went hunting for goals and got the job done.

On the downed tools v manager-lost-the-plot debate for me it's clearly the latter. I'd mention this in another thread but it's worth repeating what everyone can see, which is that the players are willing to fight for a manager who's willing to support them. Early days, of course, but the early report card for Ole is an A+.

Roosney

Yeah, we really could do with having Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez available now. The front players could barely run the last 15 minutes.
Rashford tracked back about 50 meters with fast space near the end, but yeah I think Pogba and Lingard faded a bit towards the end.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Rashford tracked back about 50 meters with fast space near the end, but yeah I think Pogba and Lingard faded a bit towards the end.
Lingard does more running than anyone else

Problem is, without Lukaku and Sanchez we have very little to come on. He’s played 2 high intensity games and is looking in need of a rest

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Vintage United today. Didn't play well but won and was entertaining at the same time.

Huddersfield were very well organised and difficult to break down. We looked knackered in the second half, which is probably attributed to our new pressing game and will take some time to adjust to. A few players had an off day but Pogba, Matic and Lindelöf were great.

Would watch again 7/10.
vintage united is not playing well?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I was impressed with the team. You could tell we were knackered.

minoo-utd

Still have some work to do defensively but is the feel good factor back?

Oh boy yes! To see the coaching staff hugging each other, the smiles, the communication is such a joy after Jose’s miserable demeanour

The play was very positive from the start and with better finishing we would have been 2-0 up at HT. It was good for a change to see us continuing the attacking even after the second goal.
Pleased to see Angel on
This and this. Joy and positivity will surely reflect on the pitch. Simple.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Playing and team selection to get sacked - Jose exploited the absurdity of the modern game with poor regulations, silly money and useless contracts.

In the end his pressers had no bearing on the game played. He should be put on gardening leave for a couple of years as they do in business.

Let him cool down kicking his heels.

agree. But it must be written into the contract.

The thing is the club cannot counter sue for sabotaging. difficult to prove.

some of the teams he selected....damn.

The Red Thinker

When the Full backs press super high and the midfield doesn’t take care to cover those spaces in defence, we look very very average.

The defence is in serious need of aerially dominant players.

If we play like this against Tottenham, we will be ripped to shreds. Huddersfield has SO MANY chances it’s not even funny.

I smiled through the goals but cringed when they exploited the space down the sides so easily.

Danillaco

Hoping we get to see Pereira get a full outing next game. Fred didn't look very good, definitely missed a good chance today.

ManchesterYoda

Obviously not as great a performance as against Cardiff, but the attacking philosophy was the same which is most important. Pogba definitely MotM. He is the player to build the team around like Ole is quoted as saying once. The only disappointing thing for me was the performance of Fred and Dalot but the fact that Ole and coaching staff identified our weakness and subbed them off makes me optimistic.

fallengt

Wasn't very comfortable but everyone ran their ass off and enjoyed the game.
Exactly what I want to see

AndyMUFC

Deserved win in the end. Really good first half again with some beautiful football and should've really been more than 1-0 up but we let it slip second half and were under the cosh a bit before Pogba became the game changer we all want him to be. He was brilliant today, and made the difference.

There were a few below average performances, namely Dalot, Fred and Lingard so expect them to sit out the Bournemouth game but we've got good options to replace.

Still got problems defensively and it was disappointing not to get a clean sheet yet again but if you can't defend, you might as well attack, attack, attack. That was never in Mourinho's nature, and we suffered for it.

Bring on Bournemouth.

RuudTom83

I agree somewhat with the poster mentioning Martial absence, its not that he was missed today because the performance was good and United scored 3. But it is clear to see the difference he makes to the team.

I feel the Shaw-Pogba-Martial trio is something special.

But everything is positive at the moment, only thing missing is a clean sheet for David haha.

Shimo

Glad I sprung $50 for NBC Gold rest of the season, even if it ends up being this one game. Most of the season have not been bothered to miss matches. Just seeing us moving the ball quickly around even if it does not lead to many chances, at least for now. That we are working to try pull teams apart and attack is such a sight for sore eyes.

We definitely tired towards the end, some sloppy loss of possession in our own half but it was incredible to see Rashford still run like crazy at that point, he just didn't have anyone else with the legs to keep at it.

It's nice to have a fluid set of players but, also, now that we have our fullbacks giving width, when Lukaku is on the pitch, it will give us another dimension which we've some what lacked these last 2 games. Will be a bit of give and take with him in the side - just nice to have more options.

Would really like to see Pereira get a game now, he's got the energy and bite plus with the pace of moving the ball around, he can very well help add some guile from the back.

Eric's Seagull

Didn't get opportunity to watch game :(. But had a quick look at the goals. All decent. Especially last Pogba goal, nice to see him hit it without taking loads of touches. Happy with result:). Keep it up guys:devil:

crossy1686

career ending
I’m not sure the poster has seen much of the peak SAF era
Only the whole 26 years of SAF football.

vintage united is not playing well?
Perhaps I worded that wrongly. What I meant was, it was a tough game where the opposition kept compact and behind the ball, the kind of games where we wouldn't blitz to opposition, ala Cardiff but we'd wear the other team down in the end and get a win. Not amazing, scintillating football, more a lesson in patience and perseverance to grind out a win. Playing badly and winning is the wrong phrase.

RedDevil@84

I didn't know that the "2OLEGEND" poster was removed from the stadium before and now kept back. I thought it was always there.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Loads of room to improve frankly. We weren’t that great today, but things feel a lot better when the mood of the club is right and things will tend to fall your way, as players work just that little bit harder for the second ball and to block shots.

Atmosphere was great. Loved the continuous 5-10 minutes of the “Ole at the wheel” chant. Never heard that one at Old Trafford undr Mourinho although I know there was a Jose version,

Kaj45rpm

De Gea save was world class and came at a crucial time.

8 goals in 2 games is a positive improvement, even though they were against teams we should be beatin.
Onward and upward.
Keep it up Ole

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Happy with the win but would be nice to see us keep a clean sheet in the next few games - not happened since the goalless draw vs Palace over a month ago.
Forget clean sheets. Conceding is good...it comes with going all out attack!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What does Woodward know? It was clear to the supporters that central defence was a problem area. As for losing faith, I agree with Gary Neville that you don't extend the manager's contract in January then refuse to back him in the transfer market a few months later. Maybe Jose was right when he said finishing second last year was a great achievement.
To be fair, every defender that Jose seemed to be interested in was being ridiculously over-priced by their clubs. If Woodward had been able to sign one of them for a more realistic price I do feel he would have.

Lentwood

Some observations - trying to be as neutral and fair as possible and focusing ONLY on this game not what’s gone before

- Tempo was good as was the attacking intent

- Passing was sharper

- We missed Martial at times

- Rashford and Pogba played well and seem to have been given a boost by the sacking of Jose

- Everything Jones does is on the edge of being suspect/last ditch

- Dalot was suspect defensively, much more solid when Young came on

- Lindelof was very good

- We looked much better when Herrera replaced Fred

- If we were facing a better team we could easily have conceded more goals

- Matic was much improved

Gasolin

Loved every bit. Especially the last part.
The bit about Paul who loves the club and knows it through and through is shivering and hopefully this time, we put things in place to go for that damn title that should be ours!

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 91% of 677 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 450 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw