PL W FA Premier League

Hull City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2016

MrBest

Rooney is not going to get dropped. So logically the next worst player should be because not matter what, he wasn't great against Southampton too. And I am talking about Martial here. So should we accommodate Rooney in the number 10 roll where he is really struggling or try him out in the roll Martial was playing, if Mourinho drops Martial? We could have Mkhitaryan playing in the no.10 roll which would be a big improvement.
Fair point that he won't have balls to drop Rooney, but I also think he won't drop Martial. My reasoning is that he didn't have a pre-season and we should probably consider the first three games as pre season for him. He is having a slow start but the talent is clearly there. Secondly last year our team was rubbish. This year we have obviously stepped up the tempo although work still need a to be done. Martial is now in a team with multiple good performers so his exploits don't stand out as much. I would love to see miki in number 10. Just feel he is being wasted in number 10.

carlosp

@MrBest Fair point on Martial having no pre-season etc. Though can we be certain that Martial is in the right state of mind at this moment since the break up with his ex and their child being in the middle of the mess etc. Surely this is having an effect on him.

Though I do concede and have stated before that as much as we scream and shout abuse about players, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day Mourinho watches them train and chooses the team so he might think Martial does need the practice on the field during games. However there just seems to be better options at the moment and Martial would get better via training and could improve once the EFL Cup and Euros come along.

We really do need an on form player on the field though as currently we have two off form players where we could have one off form player instead.

carlosp

That match was a little bit of a gut check. Hull acquitted themselves well. They gave a good preview of what a well-organized, tenacious defense is for this squad to deal with. United have a squad capable of winning the league, but they still look a ways from putting it together. It's going to take a more cohesive effort to consistently beat squads that play like Hull did. That will probably come with time, but this United team is a ways away from being better than the sum of its parts.

Eventually gravity will take effect, but Phelan looks to be the best possible man for the job at Hull. They may very well have the best possible man at the helm for their situation. He is the poise and competence they need at a very, very difficult time. It'd be suicidal of them to look elsewhere for a manager.

It's clear Mourinho has a deep and varied squad. He has a lot of options, and he'll make good use of them. It was a good summer. Four signings and the squad's gone from obviously incomplete to a potential juggernaut domestically.

The difference between LVG and Mourinho is amazing. LVG worked through the week and treated match day like a supporter in a hospitality suite. He did nothing to fix problems between the whistles. Mourinho--on the other hand--is clearly at the helm of the team throughout. From working on the touchline to going straight for Smalling after Rashford's goal, he was in charge in a meaningful way. I hated watching LVG allow problems to continue. He just accepted them and seemed to make chagrined comments to his assistants. Mourinho is there to fix problems and win. United are far better for it.

Rashford made the crucial difference when he came on, and I put him down as man of the match. If it weren't for that, I'd picked Blind. Bailly has stolen a lot of the limelight being a new signing, new to the league and ahead of the curve for his age as a center back. Quietly, Blind has made a strong, strong case for being one of the two starting center backs. Smalling will have to be at his best to take a spot from either of the two. As it stands, they are playing to their strengths and their weaknesses look pretty much theoretical. Long may it continue.
Excellent post.

peridigm

Just watched the 10 different angles of Rashford's goal. The best was the last. The players and fans celebrations were mental. The other stand out that speaks volumes of our manager is seeing Jose immediately make his way through the celebrating players and coaches to seek out Smalling and give him instructions before being brought on.

All in all that is one of the most exciting matches I've seen from us in a very long time. It had everything. Frustration, relentless pressure, a stoppage time goal, it just felt like a United win.

Difficult for me to pick a MOTM between the two CB's. Absolutely buzzing with the result and momentum that will give us for the derby.

LouisDanGaal

It feels like it was a proper defining game even looking at It now just a day later. Those celebrations, seriously, what was going on there, it was absolute anarchy. I think from moments like that you take belief, when you can bring on two game changers and absolutely dominate the game like we did towards the end. Something is happening and I think this game was absolutely key, if we follow that up with a good derby we are really going places.

RedDevil@84

Btw.. What is the exact handball rule? Are shoulders considered part of handball rule?
Was there a discussion on the handball thing for which we could have got a penalty.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I really enjoyed that game, despite us not creating many clear cut chances.

DDG- had nothing to do really, but his distribution was an important asset when it mattered.

Valencia and Shaw- involved more in attacking that in defending but did their primary job wonderfully well when needed. I like their involvement on attack.

Blind- the guy is clairvoyant. He knows what's going to happen so he adjusts his body position and place on the pitch accordingly.

Baily - a beast. Brute force attitude. He uses his strength and pace so well. Glad we got him.

Watching our defence is fun. In the Hull game it was like a fight between a heavy weight boxing champion and a kung-fu trainee. Whatever they wanted to do in terms of counter attack bang! our back four dealt with that in the first instance.

Fellaini- clearly instructed to protect back four and do little more. And he has been excellent.

Pogba- bad game, didn’t influence the events. I assume he has been put through hard fitness program and that might have taken its toll.

Mata- very solid performance, IMO he should keep his place in the team.

Rooney-slows everything back, a fantastic assist should not cover the fact the fact he was the weakest player on the pitch ( along Pogba and Martial)

Martial – doesn’t look like a player from last season but I see progress in his game. Hopefully his form will be ok to face City. If not Miki should replace him

Zlatan- did what he could with little service he got.

One thing – our finishing is bloody terrible! :lol:

Oneunited26

Can't really disagree with that. I read that Fellaini could be out for several weeks but if it's not that bad then good news. Interesting that you put Herrera ahead of Schneiderlin though, I really like Herrera but do you think for a game like City we need the defensive qualities of Schneiderlin? Pogba is going to be playing box to box so I feel we need someone who can play as a holding midfielder.
Well I am hoping I would never thought I would say this lol, that fellaini is back, 2 weeks can change in football. Does jose have faith in Morgan? hard to say. I think Pogba will be allot more reserved against city, we can't have him exposing us letting city having that space to exploit, but think many underestimate there can be allot of pace in this united side when you swap mata and martial, for rashford and Mkh. Would I rest martial against city? na, I think he will play, but many bitching about rooney he's played a vital role assisting both our opening goals against Southampton and Hull, Martial for me has not been providing enough of his speed to help us stretch the play, rashford and Mkh have helped solve that problem in our team

soad

It wasn't the best performance but the players gave their souls in the last 20 minutes and the win was totally diserved with the fantastic Rashford. This boy needs to start vs City. Him and Miki made the diference.

Zoo

Herrera mata bromance at the winner:D
Great stuff. Smalling wants to go mental with the other lads but then he sees Jose. And Faria on our side now doesn't seem so bad.

Acole9

Outstanding
Just seen the highlights today. Real smash and grab but that might be what we have lacked in the last couple of seasons.

Ibi Dreams

Btw.. What is the exact handball rule? Are shoulders considered part of handball rule?
Was there a discussion on the handball thing for which we could have got a penalty.
Shoulders are okay, but the defender moved his upper arm to block the ball. It was deliberate handball imo and should have been a penalty.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Just seen the highlights today. Real smash and grab but that might be what we have lacked in the last couple of seasons.
We were so dominant and could have scored 4 or 5. The opposite of a smash and grab

Acole9

Outstanding
We were so dominant and could have scored 4 or 5. The opposite of a smash and grab
I'm only basing it on the highlights I've seen. We may have had many chances but Hull were very sound defensively.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I'm only basing it on the highlights I've seen. We may have had many chances but Hull were very sound defensively.
Should of had a penalty too for handball. You can't call that win a smash and grab, makes no sense as we were the dominating team making chances

Now, in football we use this when one team dominates another but still does not secure the victory, rather the team that has been under pressure all game breaks out from defence and scores a goal to secure an unlikely victory. This happened last weekend at Anfield, when Liverpool had most of the possession, were in control of the game, but were hit on the break by Aston Villa, who were soon 2-0 up. A classic smash and grab.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Should of had a penalty too for handball. You can't call that win a smash and grab, makes no sense as we were the dominating team making chances

Now, in football we use this when one team dominates another but still does not secure the victory, rather the team that has been under pressure all game breaks out from defence and scores a goal to secure an unlikely victory. This happened last weekend at Anfield, when Liverpool had most of the possession, were in control of the game, but were hit on the break by Aston Villa, who were soon 2-0 up. A classic smash and grab.
I don't remember that game. :confused:

VanGaalEra

More than happy with another away win, 2 in a row to start the season. We struggled away from home badly under LVG.

carlosp

http://twii.edgeboss.net/download/twii/manutd/video_mufc_20160827_joseIV.mp4

Mourinho: We won in 'Fergie time'
Jose Mourinho was delighted to win in classic Manchester United fashion - with a goal "in Fergie time" - as the Reds claimed a dramatic and deserved victory over Hull City. Here are the main points from the manager's post-match interviews...

Happy to call it Fergie time
"[Sir Alex Ferguson is] such a legend in the club and I’m more than happy to say that we won in 'Fergie time'. I’m more than happy with that."

I always believed the goal would arrive
"I know when we score late people will speak about a bit of luck but the reality is we deserved it, especially in the second half. We were so dominant, so intense in our rhythm and our attacking wave and I always believed the goal would arrive."

Great credit for our opponents
"I have to say that Hull City did an amazing job and defended with everything. They couldn’t counterattack because I think we played very well defensively and every time we lost the ball we were really strong. But I think they did fantastically well, congratulations to them and if I was the chairman I would give the job immediately to Mike Phelan. In the eyes of everyone, the players are giving everything and for him. They couldn’t do more than what they did and congratulations to Mike and the Hull boys."

Rashford's special contribution
"A big smile and a big hug is enough! Marcus [Rashford] is working extremely well and both times when the team was in trouble and needed one goal. The Community Shield with the score at 1-1 and today when the score was 0-0 he came on and gave a special contribution. Everybody is speaking about him and Ibra [Zlatan Ibrahimovic] – they can play together as they showed today. I think with more work he can play coming from one of the sides but I think the kid is a striker and when we play with him and Ibra together we give different problems to the opposition. Sometimes Ibra drops back because he already likes to play with the ball at his feet and Marcus is fast and has appetite to attack the last line. We tried everything."

Fellaini had to stay on
"I was thinking about a last change with Marouane [Fellaini] coming off but I was a bit afraid with them at set-pieces. It can happen when you dominate, dominate and dominate and there can be a set-piece in the last minute and you can lose the game. Marouane is a special guy for us in our defensive work and I think everyone played well and gave everything."

The fans had that feeling
"The spirit is amazing. You only win these matches if you want to win a lot. If you are in a comfortable situation and you think a point is not bad or you think let’s see what’s going to happen, you don’t win, but the boys until the last minute believed. Of course I feel sorry for Hull but my guys deserved it and the way the fans supported them, especially in the second half, the fans had that feeling too and knew we were doing everything."

Mental side can make a difference
"We started to think about what this game could be even before the game started. We knew the way they defended. We knew that [Tom] Huddlestone would play in a line of three and we knew they would be very organised. Tactically you can change things, bring situations to the game, try to create problems for your opponent, but it’s the mental side of it that can make a difference. We speak about this all the time."

Our objective is to be champions
"Our objective is only one – to be champions. If at the end of the season we finish second, third or fourth it’s because someone is better than us, if you finish fifth or sixth it’s because we were not good enough. You have to play to win every game. If we don’t win, we don’t win, but the mentality is there and the boys are giving everything . It’s amazing when I look to my side and I see the people on the bench suffering with us and then jumping for the goal. It’s a privilege for me to work with these guys."

Jose Mourinho was talking to BT Sport and MUTV.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...ester-uniteds-last-gasp-win-at-hull-city.aspx

Will Absolute

I watched this game again last night, and the first half was woeful, as bad as anything in the LVG era. When we turned on the afterburners in the second 45 though, the ghost of Van Gaal was exorcised.

I think as long as we have players like Fellaini, Rooney and Mata playing through the center, it's going to be difficult to raise the pace of our attacking game.

Verbalkint

I watched this game again last night, and the first half was woeful, as bad as anything in the LVG era. When we turned on the afterburners in the second 45 though, the ghost of Van Gaal was exorcised.

I think as long as we have players like Fellaini, Rooney and Mata playing through the center, it's going to be difficult to raise the pace of our attacking game.
Good point. Mkhitaryan's got to start. He'll inject some much needed pace into the midfield at the cost of Mata. Did you notice his acceleration with the ball? Scythed right through those Hull defenders :)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Yep. Rooney/Mata/Fellaini/Ibra is a very average speed 4/6 attacking positions

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 913 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd