PL W FA Premier League

Hull City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2016

The Hungry Surgeon

Like the United of old, fight till the end and bag the winner in Fergie time!

Great finish from Rashford.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
There we go, that never say die spirit back in abundance. That was genuinely the closest performance to anything we've seen under Fergie since he retired. That gung-ho, send everyone forward, control the game with defenders in advanced positions, style of play. I had it down as a 1-0 win for us, and I just felt that goal was coming. I haven't had that sort of confidence in us scoring late in fecking years.

Poor first half, but complete domination in the second. Unlucky not to have a penalty, but we constantly tried to make things happen. Big performance from Rashford, he has to start now. Mkhitaryan too, they both changed that game drastically -- and, unfortunately for Martial, Mkhitaryan really showed how little he was doing in the first half. Not a criticism of Anthony, because he's still a young player adapting to a new role under a new manager. He'll be fine.

Finally - feckING YES.

Edit: Bailly is incredibly good. Mourinho signed a gem there. Very similar to Rio, and even bits of Vidic.

Giggs86

Felt like a proper United home game under Fergie. Battering the opposition but due to some shitcnut luck can't score. But deep down you feel that no matter what we will always score.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bailly had an insane game, terrific back there.

Almost a shame to break this little run with internationals now, but City up next, and we'll get a clearer impression of how we're going to go.

Vida5Nick

NFP
Need a few more players for attack/defence. Worrying if we have to rely on rashford to provide the winner. No answers for 90+ minutes for a well organised Hull team. A more experienced team will exploit that. City will punish us and Hull almost punished us.

Mark Pawelek

First part of the game we looked like a superior LvG team. After Mkhitaryan and Rashford came on it looked like a SAF team from 20 years ago. Don't play Rooney, Mata, and Martial in same team. Especially with Mata + Martial on their "cut inside" wings. Mkhitaryan and Rashford should start next game.

FujiVice

I wouldnt have been utterly depressed if it had stopped 0-0, like I would have been last season. Contrast that to the Newcastle game this time last year, where we farted our way to a 0-0 at home and looked rotten doing it. Thought we were unlucky in the second half. We were so good coming forward and Hull didnt put a foot wrong for most of the second half. But when you have a manager with a winning mentality and the players we have, you will always have a chance. Absolutely delighted for Rashford.

Typical England manager luck. Put him in the under 21s and he goes and plays like that.

paulscholes18

Deserved win, they were 0-0s under LVG, Mkhitaryan and Rashford improved us no end when they came on, don't like our 4-2-3-1 needs Lingard on the right we were very narrow, also Valencia's crossing purple patch seems to have come to an end today

Renegade81

29 shots 9 on target against a very resiliant Hull City tells you all to know. WELCOME BACK!

jem

I thought Bailly was fantastic again. I think there's no way you can keep Mkhitaryen and Rashford out of the starting 11 now. Martial could probably use a break. I'd play Mata over Rooney, but doubt that will happen.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Can't remember the last time we piled on the pressure like that against a PL team. It was just relentless in the 2nd half. Dare I say just like back in the day..

Mhiky and Radhford has to start as things are right now, period.

Oh, an injury time winner as well.. so sweet :drool:

mav_9me

Amazing win, this is the real united, even without the win i'd still be satisfied with this performance.

The team simply today never gave up, hull defended brilliantly, with van gaal we'd be hopeless, but now we've done what we've been doing for decades with fergie, amazing feeling.
Only watched last 20 mins but that was Fergie football. Just kept going for it.

RetroStu

Can we have a shout out for Blind as well, he mopped everything up and looked so calm.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There we go, that never say die spirit back in abundance. That was genuinely the closest performance to anything we've seen under Fergie since he retired. That gung-ho, send everyone forward, control the game with defenders in advanced positions, style of play. I had it down as a 1-0 win for us, and I just felt that goal was coming. I haven't had that sort of confidence in us scoring late in fecking years.

Poor first half, but complete domination in the second. Unlucky not to have a penalty, but we constantly tried to make things happen. Big performance from Rashford, he has to start now. Mkhitaryan too, they both changed that game drastically -- and, unfortunately for Martial, Mkhitaryan really showed how little he was doing in the first half. Not a criticism of Anthony, because he's still a young player adapting to a new role under a new manager. He'll be fine.

Finally - feckING YES.

Edit: Bailly is incredibly good. Mourinho signed a gem there. Very similar to Rio, and even bits of Vidic.
Yep. The first half was a bit poor as you say, but the second. Just great to see. If we had LVG last year we would have just pissed the game away passing side to side.

I'm ecstatic with that second half and how we have won the game.

Raw Cantona

Frustrating game with a brilliant end.
Thought Jose wasn't adventurous enough against a well organised Hull.
We were crying out for players to run at that defence and panic them, especially in those conditions where it's easier to slip or make a mistake. In his defence, Martial having a stinker didn't help.

Bailly and Blind look fantastic together and complement each other so well, Jose needs to trust them more to handle a counter especially with De Gea behind them. We don't need to be as patient as we were in the first hour.

Was fantastic to see wave after wave of attack to get the winner though, felt like the old days when it went in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Far from perfect, lots of sloppiness, but you can see the signs returning of being a direct unit, over a turn-back-and-pass-sideways side. Great to see everyone get a foot on the ball and immediately look to face goal. Hard to break down such a deep defence as that, but we got there in the end. When the attack truly starts to gel, it will be great to watch. Still a long way to go, but the signs are so promising.

Get In Scholesy

Back in Fergie's years, the opposition would clear the ball out for only a few seconds of reprieve because we were set up to win any ball that would be cleared out of their third. Today was the same, ball barely got over halfway line given our set up. That was what yielded the result for us, extremely satisfied.

Moonred

Don't you just love a late fecking winner. We were good, Hull were good. In the end all that matters is winning and winning like that is what makes a team great at times. long way to go, but that was brilliant in its own way.

Irrational.

Haven't seen a team pin the opposition back like that since the Fergie days. It was relentless. Amazing.

Mickey and Rashford came on and completely changed the game. They added movement and penetration, and have to start against City.

Oh and Hull were awesome defensively. They came to park the bus, and boy did they park it.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Only watched last 20 mins but that was Fergie football. Just kept going for it.
I like to see the siege mentality of just continuous pressure, my only issue was the delivery needs to be better.

togg

And let's not forget Rooney in this goal....it was really really good, past a player...looked up...and drilled that ball at the right pace for Rashford. I mean...hats off to him right?

sport2793

People are talking about how Mkhitaryan and Rashford should start. Honestly though I think both benefited from the fact that Hull were absolutely knackered by the 70th minute.

I would agree with Martial getting a stint on the sidelines, although when we have 2 games in a week he should start at least 1. I don't see Rooney being subbed off at this rate but fair play to him for the game winning assist.

I want to see Rashford continue to be the super sub who can provide the burst of pace when the other team is tiring. Would like to see Mkhitaryan start next match for sure though with Mata as there were makings of some chemistry between the two.

Carolina Red

Staff
Great games from our entire back 4. Fellaini had a much improved 2nd half. Rooney does his seemingly typical thing now of having a crap performance highlighted by a singular moment of class. Rashford and Mhki were brilliant after coming on. Hopefully Jose takes the international break to get them in as starters for our next time out.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 913 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd
  • 26% Hull City 0:2 Man Utd