PL W FA Premier League

Hull City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2016

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I scared the life out of my little one year old oscar when rashford scored, the poor little thing, but he has to learn.

Always thought we was going to score feels like we can score with every attack.

Alls i could hear in my head was "will united score they always score"

redshaw

62% sounds more accurate, honestly thought it was 66-68%.

Pleased with the second half play and thrilled for Rashford. Also some great play from Rooney to thread the ball through the guy's legs.

First half was way too much going through Valencia and Martial looks out of sorts. I like Valencia in the team and trust like Fergie but we can't be playing through him like that non stop.

Just hope Mourinho can keep the players happy. Was a little sad to see Mkhitaryan not start or not come on earlier.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mkhi simply has to start somewhere. Blind was MotM when the result looked to be a draw, and I still voted for him despite the goal.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's very promising that we've played good against defence sitting deep. Mourinho usually sets up his teams to counter attack, but you can't do it against every opposition so I'm glad we can play like we did last 30mins.

I feel our back four is a bunch of dementors, sucking joy from opposition attackers. Not only doing job defensively, but also useful in attack. When was the last time De Gea had to make a save?

Mata should be dropped. I hate when we look so lopsided with him on the "right wing" (he rarely stays there). Mkhitaryan looks much more threatening, although still seems to think he has more time on the ball.

There's something wrong with Martial, and with Rashford conitinuing to impress, he's the one who should be coming from the bench I think.

Ibra dissapointing, Rooney better in the second half. I feel he improves when moving to the left, centrally he has too little space and time to operate.

clarkydaz

When we lost to his Real Madrid in the CL it was the same. We can talk about how the Nani red card was unjustified etc, but his reaction to it to switch Modric on exploited the weakness immediately. We were too slow to react and once we did it was too late.
he done it at Stamford Bridge in Cl a few years back aswell. Late goal, sprinted to the cornerflag to break the celebrations and give instructions

MUFAN79

A last minute winner? What year is it?
Early days of course but that's a massive win, and one we wouldn't have got under Moyes or LvG.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Guaranteed that either Rashford or Mkhitaryan will start the next match in place of Martial. The only question is whether Mata will also be dropped to the bench to get both of them on.

Bailly and Blind didn't have all that much to do, but they were impressive. I've thought the Vidic comparisons were going a bit over the top, but there was one moment late on where Bailly just dominated the striker two or three times in short succession where I must admit it felt like watching Vida again. And while I'm sure Smalling will get plenty of gametime when the matches start coming thick and fast as Mourinho's 'ideal' would be Smalling-Bailly, he'll have to play very well to move ahead of Blind. Mourinho won't change it just for the sake of changing it. He'll give him the chance, but Smalling will have to show he deserves it to actually change the first choice line up.

Rooney started absolutely shit, but slowly got better as the match went on.

A lot of people are only talking about Hull's defensive play, but to be fair to the they actually did quite a lot of good stuff on the ball in the first half. It was only in the second half as the match went on that they got more and more pushed back to their own box.

OneUnited24

We score...we always score....

We can believe that again.
Thats what was really telling today. I can recall so many games last season where, even 1 nil down, our approach was so pedestrian that you'd wonder if we wanted to score. From what i've seen this season we look like we BELIEVE we can score.

Reddevildans

I would be concerned if we had won that game without creating good chances and not looking to force the ball foward quickly. But we didnt. With over 20 attempts at goal and Pogba not having his shooting boots on I think we deserved that game. Hull were incredibly negative as you would expect but now inferior teams are seeing the likes of Pogba and Ibra on the pitch and being that extra little bit conservative against us, possibly thinking of the consequences of opening up thier shape against us. I wouldnt say we have that fear factor back yet but we're getting there. The substitutions were great and Rashford was magestic. Shaw and Bailly: Solid as feck. Great to go into the international break with 3 wins out of 3.

Raw

Also we've currently conceded the least goals in the league with just 1 goal in 3 (a pretty fantastic finish in the Bournemouth game). Obviously it's still early days but I just thought it was nice, our defence has been pretty fantastic.

Cantona's Collar

To use a well worn cliche that was the definition of a game of two halves. Didn't really look at the races in the first half but then we came out in the 2nd half and took the game to Hull, who fair play to them defended brilliantly (Davies in particular stood out and for me was overall MoTM with Blind being our MoTM). I thought Rooney was absolutely atrocious in the first half but started to play a bit better in the 2nd and really grew into the game when he took Martial's position on the left culminating in his run and pass for the goal. I thought Pogba and Fellaini looked average in midfield today and Ibra didn't have the best game. Mata was also quite disappointing and Martial had by far his worst game in a Utd shirt. The weather will have played it's part for sure but that's something most of the squad should be used to be now living in Manchester and all :D. I think at this point Smalling must be absolutely gutted that he got injured when he did because I can't see how he gets into the starting 11 at the minute. Our defence looks so much more composed than it did last year and Bailley and Blind are absolutely bossing it at the moment. Not only should Blind be playing with a cigar as someone suggested earlier in the thread but he should be doing it whilst wearing a smoking jacket and comfy pair of slippers, he just looks so relaxed and composed it's unreal to think that's not his natural position (or it wasn't at least). For me he's been our best defender since about Feb/March. The only way I can see Mike getting back into the side is if/when there's a suspension or injury. You'd also never guess that Bailley has only been playing in the PL for 3 matches, he looks custom made for the league.

Mkhitaryan had a massive impact on the match when he came on and really started making life difficult for Hull and he's got to be making it difficult for Jose to justify leaving him out of the starting eleven. Same goes for Rashford who was tormenting the Hull defence and then took his goal really well (granted it was a tap in but the run was good and he got himself into the perfect position to finish the move). I don't think Jose knows his best starting eleven yet so I can see there being a few tweaks in the squad as the season wears on. Hopefully this spurs the likes of Martial to find their best form because he's in danger of losing his starting spot at the moment. If we can add last year's Martial to this year's squad we'll be a real force to be reckoned with. Any 4 from an in form Ibra, Mata, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Mkhitaryan gives us so many options going forward it's unreal (compared to last season). That's without even considering Lingard, Memphis and Young.

Feck the international break and roll on City.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I dont get mourinho negative football jibe, his football is the closest things to late era fergie. Decisive fast direct football
Agreed. I've enjoyed all our matches under Mourinho.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yeah ok. Then there's the issue of bias too. Well, fair play to him in providing the assist. He shouldn't be starting ahead of Mkhitaryan though that's for sure.
Jose has some crazy selection headaches these days. I actually believe him when he says he can't wait for some of the other competitions to start. This was one game that felt like a draw, though, didn't it?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Thought that myself about Rooney, Jose should have swapped Rooney and Martial around and give Zlatan somebody link up with and put through.
Yep, Martial, like Rashford, has quick feet and can lay off pass or play 1-two with ease, should've tried to play him behind Ibra since it was obvious that Rooney can't operate through all that midfield traffic.

PeteManic

Listening to Mourinho talk about his squad and his team, it's clear how low the confidence must have been in the club when he came in.

He is CONSTANTLY bigging up his players, repeatedly mentioning the ones he hasn't on the bench or the ones he "has to leave at home" by name. Very clever psychology.

eggwithsideburns

My throat is sore now from cheering at the end, anyone else's like that? It looked like it was going to be a disappointing day but Marcus Rashford said no. Well done to Rooney too for beating his man and putting in the good ball when we needed it most, still he didn't do much else apart from that. I'm so happy that we won and we look like the united of old.

RedFish

Jose has some crazy selection headaches these days. I actually believe him when he says he can't wait for some of the other competitions to start. This was one game that felt like a draw, though, didn't it?
I guess the long and short of it is that for 90 minutes Hull held us and we almost ran out of time. We didn't and thank goodness for that, but the substitutions provided immediate penetration and chances to win the game. It's not a fluke, it's the caliber of Mkhi and Rashford. Not saying they should start every game but Martial for example shouldn't be starting the next game I feel - not when the bench as it stands is producing the goods. With regards to Rooney, I'd say he's lucky to be a what seems like a default pick for the starting XI. I'm sure as the season progresses that will change if he continues to play like he has been....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
My throat is sore now from cheering at the end, anyone else's like that? It looked like it was going to be a disappointing day but Marcus Rashford said no. Well done to Rooney too for beating his man and putting in the good ball when we needed it most, still he didn't do much else apart from that. I'm so happy that we won and we look like the united of old.
Ha ha, yeah I was screaming like there's no tomorrow. Off to get a bottle of Bulmers to soothe the throat. I knew Rooney was going to do something to make it difficult for Mourinho. But I would still bench him, I don't care!.

Still maximum points, 2 clean sheets and 2 goals conceded. City to come next. Can't ask for anymore.

pre Munich Red

Rooney - great passes against Soton and Hull for the goals, deserves a lot of the stick but the man is some truer, has to be admired..…

krazyrobus

Props to Rooney who up until the assist was having an anonymous game.

Mkhi had an excellent cameo. My MOTM for his 25 min masterclass in finding players, and space between the lines. Needs to start games.

eggwithsideburns

Ha ha, yeah I was screaming like there's no tomorrow. Off to get a bottle of Bulmers to soothe the throat. I knew Rooney was going to do something to make it difficult for Mourinho. But I would still bench him, I don't care!.

Still maximum points, 2 clean sheets and 2 goals conceded. City to come next. Can't ask for anymore.
Bet that Bulmers will taste extra sweet :D

I would bench Rooney too, I want to see Mkhitaryan play behind Zlatan.

RedFish

....And a 5 point gap to Liverpool (and Arsenal). So much more to come. We need to go all out for the win and start Mkhitaryan against Citeh. We've got home advantage and can win this.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Feels good to be United fan again, even just getting a few wins back to back after the horror thats been the last few seasons.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Take back my opinion that Rashford was equal to City's young kid, Rashford is sublime.
There was a thread on here that i was reading the other day united squad vs citys and someone actualy put ineacho above rashford as if he is some massively more experienced player.

Ineancho said last year that rashford is hes inspiration.

carlosp

I guess the long and short of it is that for 90 minutes Hull held us and we almost ran out of time. We didn't and thank goodness for that, but the substitutions provided immediate penetration and chances to win the game. It's not a fluke, it's the caliber of Mkhi and Rashford. Not saying they should start every game but Martial for example shouldn't be starting the next game I feel - not when the bench as it stands is producing the goods. With regards to Rooney, I'd say he's lucky to be a what seems like a default pick for the starting XI. I'm sure as the season progresses that will change if he continues to play like he has been....
I said a few days ago that Martial should be dropped for this game. Oh the abuse I got for that. He also didn't play well against Southampton.

RedFish

I said a few days ago that Martial should be dropped for this game. Oh the abuse I got for that. He also didn't play well against Southampton.
Apparently he has 'domestic' issues. Not surprised to hear that,as he looks distracted to say the least. A period on the bench is not disastrous for such a young and exciting player. His time will come again, and needn't worry about his future....

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 913 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd
  • 26% Hull City 0:2 Man Utd