PL W FA Premier League

Hull City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 August 2016

Raw Cantona

Yep, Martial, like Rashford, has quick feet and can lay off pass or play 1-two with ease, should've tried to play him behind Ibra since it was obvious that Rooney can't operate through all that midfield traffic.
Interesting that both Rooney's assists this season came from a wide position, i'm not advocating he plays out there but perhaps he should be looking to switch positions with a wide player more often in a game when he's getting no joy through the middle.

ThanksBoss26

Just got back from the game. Hard fought win and well deserved. I think we'd have drawn that game last season but we kept going and got what we deserved.

Things to work on as you'd expect at this stage and also plenty of positives.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
De Gea, Bailly, Blind, Shaw, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan, Rashford,

These are the players that can easily become part of a solid premier league winning team.

Jose really has changed the core of our side.

The Purley King

Trevor Francis is certainly the most moronic and ill informed commentator around today but one thing he said made sense.

You have to start with Rashford and miki.

I know hull were tiring but these two, Rashford especially made us look completely different. Rooney was the worst player on the pitch for long long periods but have to say that assist was brilliant.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Just like the Ferguson days. :)

Have to feel a bit for Hull, they've been brilliant under their circumstances.

Pscholes18

Everything has pretty much said about this match...the player who has impressed me the most has got to be Bailly...the man has hardly put a foot wrong.....maybe I'm overstating things after only three matches but ffs he has been solid gold.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Trevor Francis is certainly the most moronic and ill informed commentator around today but one thing he said made sense.

You have to start with Rashford and miki.

I know hull were tiring but these two, Rashford especially made us look completely different. Rooney was the worst player on the pitch for long long periods but have to say that assist was brilliant.
Made us look differwnr because they were fast and fresh vs knackered Hull defenders. I doubt they would have had simimar success in the rain against fresh defenders.

As if any of us or these pundit morons know better than Jose. Lets trust our manager and just enjoy the spoils for now. Constructive criticism can come if it goes totally pear-shaped!

Yagami

Good post resistant
What a match. Even without the goal I thought we played well with everyone putting in a good showing bar, sadly, Martial. Hull defended brilliantly but we still had a few good opportunities to score. That feeling of scoring a late winner again, and not being that surprised by it as well, is so nice. I've missed it.

On Rooney, I thought it was going to be one of those games again when he lost the ball 3 consecutive times in about a minute around the 11 minute mark, but credit to Wayne he was good today. Another brilliant assist.

It was nice to see Rashford and Mkhi get some game time, and it's a nice to have that headache of who to play because we have so many options again. Mata, for me, was fine, so I'd have no issue with him starting again against City over Mkhi who did look good; though I'd probably prefer him over Juan myself, but Rashford has to start.

Deleted member 101472

Not long watched the game , paused it a few times when rashford has the ball in the box , the defenders look genuinely terrified . I think word has well and truly spread that he is the real deal, and his time with the England squad will have helped this. I'd genuinely consider using ibra as the impact sub against city and starting rashford , he would tear John stones a new one !

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Not long watched the game , paused it a few times when rashford has the ball in the box , the defenders look genuinely terrified . I think word has well and truly spread that he is the real deal, and his time with the England squad will have helped this. I'd genuinely consider using ibra as the impact sub against city and starting rashford , he would tear John stones a new one !
Rooney looked a threat on the lef. New position?

suheilsworld

Great game there. Reminded us of the good old days of the Fergie era. The team did not give up and rarely gave a sniff to the opposition.

Great defense form our back 5. Always there when called into action and ably supporting in attack for most of that 2nd half. Do not want to touch this back 4 but I am tempted to put Smalling ahead of Blind against City. But still I would not mind this back 4 in the coming games.

Great engine and tenacity from our team. Mata for Mkhitaryan is the only change I would like to see for our City game. Rashford is a great outlet as a substitute and will change a game whenever he comes on.

Would not be much fussed about Pogba's performance. You cannot expect him to have WOW games week in week out. He is going to be a solid engine in that midfield of ours.

Last couple of years I would not look forward to seeing us play till the final whistle when we needed a win. I used to see the game but would never have the anticipation that we would score. This felt different. The adrenaline, the push, the speed of the game. Just gave me a rush which I have been missing seeing our games last couple of seasons. Mind you we are still not fully functioning as a unit and it would be mouth-watering to see when we do that. Great relief to go into the international break with 3 out of 3 and now just pray and fingers crossed that we do not have any crazy injuries to our players. :devil::devil:

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Dropping our leading goalscorer is blasphemy. Drop Mata/Martial and add Rashford/Mkhitaryan to the mix.

ricky-romeo

The way we just kept going and attack obviously impressed me the most. Something that rarely to be seen under previous 2 managers. Feels just like we are back to those fergie days.:drool:

Rooney had a poor game but did had his moments. Credit for the run and assist as well.

Defense had to be concentrating. Bailly and blind again were brilliant.

Somehow with zlatan, pogba, rooney, miki, rashford on the pitch even with few minutes left, we got personel who can change the course of the game in just one moment, and in this case rooney and rashford.

Rashford obviously changed the game. In 20 minutes with him we put up a gear in our attack. Same can be said about miki, just that he lacked a bit of that finishing touches.

legball

It might take us playing a 3 man midfield for that to happen. Pogba at the top of the point facing forward with a 2 of whomever behind.
Yes, I think our midfielders are better suited to a 3, rather than 2, but then that would mean dropping Rooney as we won't require a #10. So, probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Finally 30 minutes of football that felt like old United. Attack, after attack, after attack and still the midfield & defense able to hold its own. The happiest I have been watching United since those couple of games in the first year under Van Gaal.

Bailly is tremendous. It feels good to have such a commanding CB play for us again.
Rashers is the best thing since sliced bread. Needs to be on the pitch for more than 25 minutes.
Mkhi looked good. His pace and creativity was essential.
Great 3 points again. We either lost or drew these games under Moyes and VG.

Now to the first 60 minutes. I don't think Fellaini, Zlatan, Mata and Rooney should be in the same team against oppositons that want to compact themselves to the last 1/3rd of the pitch. We need players with pace and ability who can run with the ball and get behind the opposition defenses. Mata is a waste in these type of games; we missed creativity from the midfield and with Martial's bad run of form we didn't have anyone with the ability to dribble past Hull's midfield and defense.

With the talent we have now, and the Jose factor, most teams will deploy these tactics against us. We should work on ways to break them down earlier than we did last night. I know it will not happen, but I would love if we can move Mata along and get a more creative number 10, someone who can dribble and get at compact teams. Or may be we can use Mkhi at 10 and get another RW with pace and dribbling ability.

Anyway, the signs look positive. We are a couple of little tweaks and Martial's top form away from becoming an excellent football team. Feel more positive after our performance in the last 1/3rd of the game last night.

Last edited:

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
To see United play now vs the years with moyes and lvg. This is excellent. Been waiting for this since saf left. So fun to watch now. players have confidence now. They want to fight and win.
Tears in mi eyes
Seeing Rooney after rashfords goal. Haha he went crazy!

Perrick Dubois

Just watched, such awful conditions. Everyone fought hard and played until the end, so proud of everyone. Smart cross from Rooney, that ball was not going anywhere but the back of the net. We resorted to humping it in a little bit too much, 49 crosses.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
That was an excellent 2nd half. Hull never wanted to get anything other than a point and they defended for their lives. Our players were fantastic, never game up. Threw hook line and sinker at them. Rooney's assist was very good. Fellaini brilliant in his new role as well.

JustinC00

Nobody commented on this?
Typical fan that needs to win 3-0, 4-0 for it to be a good performance. 63% and 30 shots and probably about 95% possession for the last 20 minutes of the game continually attacking isn't dreadful. Dreadful is when you have 68% possession, only 6 shots, 1 on goal and lose.

As for his comment about citeh, meh they're not world beaters right now. Had a struggle with Sunderland at home and I know the scoreline doesn't indicate it but that game against Stoke was a 2-1 game in the 85th minute.

Last edited:

bleedred

What a difference a manager makes to the team. There were games last 3 years where we could have played for 180 minutes and still would not have found the net.

But there was the feel throughout the second half that a goal was imminent and it was clearly visible in the players as well. Our squad strength in terms of attacking options also looks good. Its a breath of fresh air around the club.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
What a difference a manager makes to the team. There were games last 3 years where we could have played for 180 minutes and still would not have found the net.

But there was the feel throughout the second half that a goal was imminent and it was clearly visible in the players as well. Our squad strength in terms of attacking options also looks good. Its a breath of fresh air around the club.

Amen. Preach brother, preach. Dare I say it shades of Ferguson. We're Man Utd and we do what we want. 1-0 down we're coming to kill you. I was honestly on the edge of Mt seat screaming go on boys. It was like a fox hunt (I've never been on one but my blood was up)

Coops73

A great second half that reminded me of the United I love, there's no way we would of played like that under Moyes or LVG, the team didn't give up and fair play to Hull for their defensive work, Curtis Davis played out of his skin and really pleased for Phelan, I hope they give him the job.

When Ross and Rashford came on I thought they made a huge difference and despite the assist from Rooney with those players playing like that it's surely getting harder to justify his place in the team but it was an exiting finish and one of those typical premiership games where you have to work your bollocks off for a result. Not the greatest game we'll see this season but shitloads more entertaining than anything I've seen in the last couple of years.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Good times.
Mkhitaryan and Rashford really Need to start more games.
Would be great if Martial could get back to his best as well.

Credit to Rooney. The assist has been phenomenal. Absolute worldclass and something only very few Footballers are able to do.

Also our defense + Fellaini has been great as well. Pogba has all the Tools but can be better than yesterday.

Siorac

Van Gaal clearly did a number on me because I found it incredibly unusual, weird even, that we were actually attacking and putting pressure on the opposition for sustained periods of time. They were under siege for the last 20 minutes in particular. This is very, very pleasing.

And it's always a nice bonus when Rashford gets the winner. You can't not like that kid.

redspoony

Say what you like about 4-5 and 5-0 wins, especially under a new manager, but games like last night's are the ones that really show what the new boss is doing with his team.

Relentless attacking, absolute belief, brilliant use of substitutions and a sheer bloody mindedness - all of which have been missing for the last three years.

Last night was as pleasing a United win as any in that time.

ti vu

SAF esque performance from the team. :drool:

2 wins away. The huge amount of attempts and chances. All new signings have certain impact. What more can one ask for a new manager

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Gripes to start with:

- Why was it when our players were about 30 yards from goal, they were perfectly willing to shoot on site, launching balls into the stands, wide, first time volleys, swivelling impossible first time shots with their back to goal etc...but when presented with near open goals from about 8 yards out, they all suddenly have to prat around doing everything EXCEPT having a fecking shot?

- Fellaini. He was still a lot better than hatever LVG had him doing, but the amount of times he inexplicably ran past the ball despite Hull being the team in possession of the ball was just impressively stupid. I mean I somehow lost count of the amount of times it happened even though I could count the amount of attacks Hull had on one hand.

- BT Sport - "United lack width", "United desperately need to add some width to their game", "there's just no width in the team for United", "United need to bring on some wide players", "the players just aren't providing any width" ...Yes I think we get it now. Though it was particularly dumb at half time when they were saying this while showing a montage of crosses from United players. It was even said at one point WHILE Luke Shaw was running down the wing and putting in a cross.

- Why is sitting on the edge of your own area for an entire half of football and then losing "brave"? It is the opposite of brave. It's the equivalent of a boxer refusing to throw a punch for an entire fight because he's too scared of getting hit back, and then getting knocked out anyway.

Non gripes:

- I'd forgotten what it was like to not consistently be angry/miserable after United games, even when we win. I'd also forgotten what it was like to think "yeah we deserved that goal" rather than "how on earth did we even win that?"

- Bailly is an insane nasty man and I like him

- Last season in this game, what would have happened is, it'd have got to 70 minutes at 0-0, then LVG would have made some baffling substitutions, shoved Fellaini up top, ad we'd have spent the last part of the game repeatedly hoofing the ball off the pitch for a goal kick. Then afterwards idiots would have claimed LVG was just "playing to our strengths"

- Rashford. Funny what happens when you bring him on with more than 3 minutes to go

- Luke Shaw...looking so much better now he's had a few games.

Confusion:

- Not that I disagree with it in the sense of Rashford getting playing time, but if Rashford has been droppped to the U21s due to not playing until this weekend, shouldn't Deli Alli also by default be in the U21s? Makes no sense

- Does Hull have it's own unique weather system where it's currently the middle of the monsoon season? What the feck was going on? How did the pitch not end up being under water?

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 913 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Hull City 0:3 Man Utd
  • 26% Hull City 0:2 Man Utd