CL W Champions League Group H

Manchester United 4:1 Istanbul Basaksehir

Post-match discussion

Tue, 24 November 2020

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For sure, but it was a great indicator that we don’t necessarily have to play with two defensive mids and also that DVB is capable of being more than the 10 some think he’s limited to being. That was a fantastic game for him.

But yes, he could do well next to McT’s physicality no doubt. We have good options in the middle of the park currently.
Its a trade off isn't it. Always about finding the right balance. We will certainly be a better offensive team with Donny as a 6, but i think we'll also lose some of that solidity that Fred and McTominay give us.

I think the fans always want to see United with an attacking philosophy, so im all in favour of giving it a go, but people have to be aware that it might cost us a result at some point. Thats the potential price of experimentation and we are certainly still in that phase as this team finds itself.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah it's just you seemed to say that if we lose both games then it will go to head-to-head results - it probably won't.

Technically, it's possible that all four teams finish on 9 points. Wouldn't that be a mindfeck.
Sorry, then I might have misunderstood. Why is it not head to head ? All of them will be on 9 points. So next one will be head to head, right?

GazTheLegend

If we lose our next 2 we remain on 9. PSG & Leipzig win their games they will have 12 each!
Yeah but all it takes is for us to draw vs PSG or Leipzig and we are through. I'm fairly confident we'll manage that. And I reckon the Turks will take points off either PSG or Leipzig, they're not duffers.

Siorac

Sorry, then I might have misunderstood. Why is it not head to head ? All of them will be on 9 points. So next one will be head to head, right?
Well the only way all four teams will end up on 9 points is if we lose both our games and Istanbul win both of theirs. That'd be freakish though.

If PSG and Leipzig beat us and get something against the Turkish, they'll finish ahead of us.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Its a trade off isn't it. Always about finding the right balance. We will certainly be a better offensive team with Donny as a 6, but i think we'll also lose some of that solidity that Fred and McTominay give us.

I think the fans always want to see United with an attacking philosophy, so im all in favour of giving it a go, but people have to be aware that it might cost us a result at some point. Thats the potential price of experimentation and we are certainly still in that phase as this team finds itself.
I’ve long been saying that Fred, McT and Bruno is my preferred midfield and that remains the case but it was good to see Ole put DVB and Bruno out together and it was even better seeing them perform so well in the same side. It means we have workable options. A luxury we’ve not had in midfield for some time.

Also Cavani made a big difference.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well the only way all four teams will end up on 9 points is if we lose both our games and Istanbul win both of theirs. That'd be freakish though.

If PSG and Leipzig beat us and get something against the Turkish, they'll finish ahead of us.
Oh yeah, makes sense. Thanks

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
Cavani and VDB class. Any other group and we'd be feeling very confident. Still in the balance though
Don't forget Cavani is still coming to grips with the language. In just the short introductions he's shown that sulking, pretentious little french shit on the left how the number 9 position should be played. Hopefully he'll learn from Edison. Can't see it happening. He'll go to his other french mate and have a sulk and whinge with him. Time for both of them to be gone! Agree VDB needs to be a starter, preferably alongside Scotty.

Zoo

Savage was really tedious tonight he was right on United needing a top class 6. Imagine dropping Carrick into that lineup tonight.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I’ve long been saying that Fred, McT and Bruno is my preferred midfield and that remains the case but it was good to see Ole put DVB and Bruno out together and it was even better seeing them perform so well in the same side. It means we have workable options. A luxury we’ve not had in midfield for some time.

Also Cavani made a big difference.
Yes I agree with you. I posted something a while back regarding Oles summer signings. They all bring qualities that give us flexibility in many ways. Each of our new players is quite different to the others in those positions here and its nice to see, and i dont think was an accident, or we got who we could get late on. Its designed to give us these workable options that you mention.

I really do believe we will get better and better as this season progresses. The players will understand each other more and the staff will too.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I think that might have been the best and most positive looking lineup I've seen Manchester United field in a long, long time. That is a fun team.
Now keep it like this against other opponents too.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
i dont think was an accident, or we got who we could get late on. Its designed to give us these workable options that you mention.

Regardless of my lack of confidence in Ole as a long term manager, that’s another story, I’m a big admirer of his transfers. All of the players he’s brought in have a great attitude and I agree with you, no accident.

I’ve always thought it must have been a shock for him on his return. The juxtaposition between the attitudes of the players he shared a dressing room with to what he inherited. For putting this squad together he deserves massive credit.

Obviously still stuff to sort out but it’s a good start.

Seeing us tonight though has reinforced my opinion on wanting a proper CF.

redmanx

He goes back to the bench where he belongs.
IF Pogba comes back our results will suffer again, but he doesnt want to play again and is happy to see out his contract, and the sooner he's gone the better.

davidmichael

I thought VDB oozed class all game and for me was man of the match, he won’t grab the headlines like Fernandes but VDB had one of those classy understated games where everything went through him and he made the team tick like Carrick or latter day Scholes did.

I’d love to see us play home games with a Matic upgrade next to VDB then Fernandes ahead of them as the Matic upgrade could simply sit in front of the defence and allow VDB and Fernandes to go their thing, McTominay and Fred could play tough away games together to give us a solid defensive platform as they always do together.

Telles was good down the left and Cavani was a pressing monster, the difference in our play with him up top is massive as he’s a proper centre forward and a great alternative to Martial. I thought Maguire looked ropey again and at this point I’m just hoping he’s having a poor run of form, he looks very off his game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
IF Pogba comes back our results will suffer again, but he doesnt want to play again and is happy to see out his contract, and the sooner he's gone the better.
To be fair, that's presumptuous. He may well want to go but he's been nothing but professional in his attitude when training with us, coming off the bench to make an impact etc.

Judas

Open to offers
Cavani is world class in his movement, pressing and just overall work rate, and he's a dinosaur. It's so impressive his level of effort. Hope he can stay mostly fit.

redmanx

If we lose our next 2 we remain on 9. PSG & Leipzig win their games they will have 12 each!
Cant we just all be a bit more positive? We have an excellent chance of going through and maybe even topping the group and a good run in Europe will do us a world of good.

Judas

Open to offers
We still desperately need an upgrade on Fred so we can play VDB and Bruno together more often, as I just don't see that midfield with that defence behind holding up against the majority of teams in the league. It's a shame.

Longshanks

Started very well great tempo and intensity and got ourselves two goals up. Than for some reason got carried away with ourselves and lost control of the game needlessly giving the ball away which gave us a somewhat chaotic rest of the game. Job done though.

Van de beek, cavani, telles and bruno were all very good. Encouraging signs but got to be better with ball retention.

I see alot of posters having a go at the defence but if the midfield and attack keep needlessly giving the ball away putting the defence under pressure time and time again I'm not sure there is huge amount maguire and co can do.

Sometimes we play slow and almost risk free when we need tempo and risk taking, and other times like tonight when were in control and can slow it down keep it simple and pick them off we keep playing with tempo and risk truly bizarre.

Still overall good performance, good results bring on Southampton.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Regardless of my lack of confidence in Ole as a long term manager, that’s another story, I’m a big admirer of his transfers. All of the players he’s brought in have a great attitude and I agree with you, no accident.

I’ve always thought it must have been a shock for him on his return. The juxtaposition between the attitudes of the players he shared a dressing room with to what he inherited. For putting this squad together he deserves massive credit.

Obviously still stuff to sort out but it’s a good start.

Seeing us tonight though has reinforced my opinion on wanting a proper CF.
Oh for sure. Imagine how our fortunes might have changed had we landed Haaland. It adds a new dimension to the team without a doubt.

Six of Oles signings started tonight. First time for me its really felt like we'd properly moved on from what Jose left behind. Not in terms of performance necessarily, but the team sheet felt incredibly fresh.

Devil may care

Some really exciting football from us in that game, loved having a CM in VdB that could dictate the tempo, and I thought the front 3 with Bruno in behind worked well. Defensively the CB's are still wobbly and they had chances. Overall I'd say that's the best we've played attacking-wise since the Leipzig game.

RUCK4444

We still desperately need an upgrade on Fred so we can play VDB and Bruno together more often, as I just don't see that midfield with that defence behind holding up against the majority of teams in the league. It's a shame.
Most important position for us to upgrade imo, more than RW.

Ole will revert to Fred and McTominay in the league because every other variation in midfield has invariably let him down. We must get a top DM. I’m so bored of repeating myself but I’m adamant that with a top DM for Ole to rely on the rest of the starting 11 picks itself and I believe that will directly improve our consistency.

Yorke to Cole

A very positive performance to match the attacking lineup. The first 20 minutes displayed some fluent attacking play associated with Manchester United and the days of Solksjaer himself.

Some of the interchange exchanges were exceptional and those are the qualities needed to succeed in a European encounter. We will need to take more care with our possession and protect our goal with better concentration against P'S and Lepzieg. Also, a shame that Tuanzebe got booked and is suspended in the next match.

I think with better wing play, this is as close to what the manager wants to achieve with his team.

MrBest

Gutted we didn't start the second half as we finished the first, the first half was a great watch. Despite a nervy last 20 mins, it was a needed 3 points and we now need one point from two to qualify from the group of death.

Bruno was brilliant but for me, DVB was man of the match. He made us tick in the middle, added security to the defence and energy and class in the middle. He needs to be starting all the big games. Great games from Fred, Cavani, Telles and AWB. Tuanzabe looked nervy at first but grew into the game.

We played against a average team we should be beating anyway, we now need to carry this on to the league. I'm tired of one step forward and two steps back.

tjb

No one is pointing out the biggest difference between Cavani and Martial. One of the we were able to move the ball around when we had possession in that first half had to do with Cavani's willingness to come deep in situations where our defenders and deeper midfielders were looking for passing options. Martial comes deep only in situations where he may be required to hold up the ball or when the ball is in the final third ( ironically).

That movement alone helped bridge the gape between midfield and attack. In addition Van De Beek's positioning when we were on the ball was fantastic.

tjb

Greenwood > both Rashford and Martial
One a one off situation, yes. In fact, I would want to test his consistency in comparison, because I actually trust Greenwood's game more than both. But Rashford ( moreso) and Martial can have unplayable games, which Greenwood hasn't had the opportunity to show yet.

Shimo

It's. not a matter of upgrading Fred, it's the CB pairing. Don't think there is a CM out there that can effectively cover for our CBs. If we had a pair that you could rely on defending consistently 1 on 1 or against faster players, then having 1 DM would be sufficient to allow the 2nd CM to have more freedom to get up and about the pitch. But, with the current setup, we need 2 more workman like CM against most decent quality sides.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We start DvB and Cavani and suddenly we look like a UCL-winning team? :) Hope Ole takes some lessons away from this.

Great game, great win, thank you, lads!

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Istanbul Basaksehir win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 Istanbul Basaksehir