EL W Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 LASK

Post-match discussion

Wed, 05 August 2020

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I just like seeing former first choice players occupying roles as squad players. I like the look of that, feels like the squad is being improved.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Embarrasing. Safe to say that our B team would fight for relegation in the EPL, and probably lose. And there's people talking about challenging, nuts. Let's see if the board and Ole do what they need to do, bin half of the feckers and replace them with actual quality, starting (late) now. Not going anywhere with this squad.
Knee Jerk Reaction is knee jerk.

Job was done months ago. Absolutely zero to play for tonight.

Play the full first team and risk injuries, Ole's Fault

Play all kids and scrape a result, Ole's fault.

Let's face it they got dicked in their home ground and the first thing their coach would have said is avoid a white wash. We won, no injuries and fringe players got minutes under their belts. No concerns from me

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Embarrasing. Safe to say that our B team would fight for relegation in the EPL, and probably lose. And there's people talking about challenging, nuts. Let's see if the board and Ole do what they need to do, bin half of the feckers and replace them with actual quality, starting (late) now. Not going anywhere with this squad.
:lol:

Rolaholic

Ole played the players with a point to prove today and they didn't exactly prove anything positive...

Our squad depth going into next season is awful, hope we manage to change that a little this window

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That felt so much like a pre-season match. Our players' executions were terrible for the most part, and things only got better once we brought on Pogba and Martial (later on). This match offered much-needed minutes for our fringe players, so I'm not really fussed about the poor passes, extra touches, or delayed executions.

Defensively, we looked intense and did a good job in pressing the opposition. On the attack, we had several good moments with some nice, quick passing only to be let down in the final third with delayed executions. Despite that, we do have some potential to look like a good side. We broke Linz down on countless occasions only to be let down by a poor cross, pass, or shot.

Chong at left back was something that I sort of expected down the line. He can become a good wing back if he develops his game. His pace and stamina will be of good use, and he's a good crosser with his left foot, too. Pereira looked decent coming in from the left; I hope that he can get more minutes to get his game going. Mengi coming on was great to see; he looked pretty composed out there despite getting caught out at right back on a couple of occasions.

Overall, I'm glad that we finally got this out of the way. I'm looking forward to the next round.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Knee Jerk Reaction is knee jerk.

Job was done months ago. Absolutely zero to play for tonight.

Play the full first team and risk injuries, Ole's Fault

Play all kids and scrape a result, Ole's fault.

Let's face it they got dicked in their home ground and the first thing their coach would have said is avoid a white wash. We won, no injuries and fringe players got minutes under their belts. No concerns from me
Job was done by these players too more or less.

dalriada

Won't live long in the memory. Puzzled why so many players looked so knackered, have to put it down to lack of playing time for most of them. Chong and Pereira were OK, as was Lingard (who looked devastated to be subbed off). Mata, McT, James all struggling. Everyone else was curate's eggs, good in parts.

Passing was awful, losing the ball all the time, fortunately for us LASK were as bad. Some scary moments playing football around our own box.

Paul Scholes saying he thinks Lingard is on his way out, and possibly Fred as well (?).

jem

I thought it was predictably meh. Lingard looked ok and Mata got 2 assists (but of course one missed shot and you have posters saying it's his worst game ever...) Martial really did look a class above when he came on.

Anybody else get near-panic attacks watching us try to play it out from the back?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Only watched the second half.

Somehow they scored a pearler but aside from that it was pretty controlled. Martial scores again which is great, hopefully this means Rashford and Greenwood will be hungry to catch him.

Siorac

First half was a bit of a warm up /players getting up to speed... Then I thought the second was pretty good all things considered . Final ball let us down a lot but there were some nice moves in there.

I think these players can still compliment our first team
for the rest of the tournament, which is what we'll need them to do.
'This colour looks great on you, Tony!'
'Bitching beard there, David!'
'Having a good hair day today, Nemanja!'

Gator Nate

The problem with playing all the bench guys is that they never all play together in matches. For one, they're all a step or more below the players they back up. Do that eight or nine times and the talent dropoff is going to be huge. But also, they're used to subbing into the main squad, where the players around them can lift their game and only for 15-30 minutes. Not 90. Mata looks pretty good alongside Bruno or Martial... with Lingard, not so much.

We won the game, we wanted the players rested, and we should have expected what we saw. Copenhagen up!

fps

Wish they’d stop asking/ talking about Lingard, it makes me feel a bit awkward.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Lingard did very well, shame he got the hook quite early really, slightly odd one that. Mata was bang average as usual and poor old James had another shocker. McT was also pretty awful, as was Bailly. Pogba didn't impress much when he came on, sloppy again, though he's clearly a level above Fred in terms of ability. Romero did pretty well again, I think he deserves the run to the final now to show what he can do. Chong is an interesting one, looked ready when he came on, hope we get to see him again before the season is out.

Jaxa

James,Scott and Mata had shockers, the rest were decent,

Tbf Chong and Periera both done well when they came on, Martial looked like a Man vs Kids when he had his cameo,

Full 11 vs Copenhagen with maybe the exception of Lingard for Greenwood and Fred for Matic.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't know about you but I'm extremely embarrassed by that
It was a second team with no need whatsoever to overexert themselves. I thought James was downright poor tonight but rest showed a few flashes here and there and a few players got run-outs. It certainly wasn't one for the history books but you must have been dying of shame these past seven years if that was extremely embarrassing.

Withnail

It was a second team with no need whatsoever to overexert themselves. I thought James was downright poor tonight but rest showed a few flashes here and there and a few players got run-outs. It certainly wasn't one for the history books but you must have been dying of shame these past seven years if that was extremely embarrassing.
I was being sarcastic mate.

I thought it would have been obvious.

OrcaFat

Didn't realize that there are so many trash in our squad.
You did. You absolutely did realise that at least half the squad is trash. Surely?
On the plus side, almost half the squad is looking good.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Tonight we saw, again, why Ole doesn't rotate the first XI much and why we badly need reinforcements. If we only sign Sancho this summer we'll be relying on a lot of these players next season. The same players who got stomped all over at West Ham and Newcastle and Bournemouth and Watford etc.etc. The squad isn't good enough. We didn't learn anything tonight we didn't already know. Its harsh to say but there are a lot of wage thieves at United who really need to move on.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
What are you on about... We didn't run at a million miles per hour and win 10-0!! It's a travesty.

Revan

Assumptionman
Chong looked great. Would be interesting to see if he can defend, and if so, to really try him as LB (maybe starting from easy matches or matches when we go with a back 5).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You did. You absolutely did realise that at least half the squad is trash. Surely?
On the plus side, almost half the squad is looking good.
Only Maguire, Mata, and Romero resembled footballers on first half. The rest can be binned, imho.

fps

Sanchez to be confirmed as an Inter player tomorrow. Someone give Conte a medal.

keithsingleton

The only thing confirmed tonite is we only have a top 11 really. Our bench players no where near the standard of the noisy neighbors. Any type of title challenge ( if any ) we will need to basically go injury free which isn't going to happen.

On a positive note we could win this Cup with our first team.

COME ON YOU REDS.

Hester_manc

Solskjær is right; It can be difficult with FC Copenhagen. Copenhagen is really well organized and often manages good results against better teams in Europe. They have a lot of young talents who have really become something. And they also have some experienced players who have tried to play for bigger clubs. They are much better than LASK.

2 of their greatest young talents must be Jonas Wind and Daramy. Their best player, however, is Carlos Zeca. He is one of the best players in FC Copenhagen for many years.

But of course we will win, but I dont except a walk over like against LASK.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I like Bailly's one-touch passing when we circulated the ball. I've been thinking Maguire and Lindelof are discouraged to do that as they seem to do it only under pressure or if it's really safe. Bailly did it a few times when I thought he would take two touches and it made breaking the press that much easier.

There is a good player in Andreas but his critical decision making is just lacking. He made some nice plays to create chances and then he.....hesitates or makes the wrong choice. If he were 21 or 22, I would be excited about him. At 24, though, I'm not.

Maybe we can get another million for Lingard now that he has scored in 2 consecutive matches.

Pogba and Martial were classy.

Let's win this cup!

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 164 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw

Detailed Results