EL W Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 LASK

Post-match discussion

Wed, 05 August 2020

YAMS49

First half really poor, second half we seemed to raise the tempo & play the wings which gave us more freedom & caused them real problems. Thought we were quite good second half, especially down the left. Jesse, Fred, Bailly & Romero decent. Chong & Andreas made a nice impression.

Regarding Chong though you can never play left back like that against teams of our level. Nice to see some confidence from him though.

dalriada

I thought it was predictably meh. Lingard looked ok and Mata got 2 assists (but of course one missed shot and you have posters saying it's his worst game ever...) Martial really did look a class above when he came on.

Anybody else get near-panic attacks watching us try to play it out from the back?
Just a bit! We give the ball away in some scary places.

Pavl3n

2 assists for Mata today. Two...
Surprisingly, a player can look like a total bag of shite, even if he had 2 assists.
And then there's James - no assists to mask how shite he is. A very pacey shite.

Ighalo got absolutely no service, which is a shame.
Chong looked really bright, happy with his involvement. Overall good game - players rested, minutes to players who need game time. Never really expected anything spectacular, just comfortably to go through.

But again, Mata and James, fecking hell... haven't seen United player play so bad since... oh well, De Gea in the FA semi...

SirScholes

I actually think Lingard looked decent. It's possible if he can get back to form he could be a reasonable back up for Bruno and we can spend the Grealish money elsewhere, such as a deeper midfielder or defender. I also thought Mengi looked promising.
No
Just no, he got taken off, after scoring, that shows the actual game he was having. He’s a donkey

SirScholes

Surprisingly, a player can look like a total bag of shite, even if he had 2 assists.
And then there's James - no assists to mask how shite he is. A very pacey shite.

Ighalo got absolutely no service, which is a shame.
Chong looked really bright, happy with his involvement. Overall good game - players rested, minutes to players who need game time. Never really expected anything spectacular, just comfortably to go through.

But again, Mata and James, fecking hell... haven't seen United player play so bad since... oh well, De Gea in the FA semi...
that sounds very painful and messy haha

SirScholes

It’s the first time ever I have seen glimpses of a player in Chong. Really good, better than Williams. Maybe he shall be an attacking LB we strive for?

Happy for Mengi who’s got his debut and didn’t put a foot wrong.
Massive knee jerk that like, he played a awful team, came on when they were shagged and leaving space all over.
Bit of a stretch to say he could defend in the prem better than Williams

Lentwood

Scary to think some of those players who started tonight have made 30+ appearances this season. I honestly think it’s a minor miracle what Ole has achieved- our 2nd XI wouldn’t be far off relegation

There’s players who played tonight who shouldn’t get another chance

OrcaFat

Only Maguire, Mata, and Romero resembled footballers on first half. The rest can be binned, imho.
Yeah. Pretty much.

And this is why injuries, fatigue and individual losses of form cripple us. There’s nobody to come in.

Robertd0803

That will do. Irritating we needed to play Maguire when he probably didnt need to.
Lovely footwork from Martial for the goal.

Our B team is......... in need of creative reinforcement to say the least.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Fred was quite good, pretty much everything good we did for the first 60 minutes came from his passes breaking the defensive line and putting us on the attack. Was disappointed he came off as I want to see him given a chance in the deeper role next to Pogba. The only time we've seen it so far was about a month ago when he came off the bench for the last 20 minutes and did very well in that role. Bailly was fairly good as well, and I thought TFM was probably our third best player in the first half although he seemed to disappear after half time.

Otherwise none of the starters really did anything to put any kind of pressure on the main 11.

rakesh289

Players looked rusty, we have to remember that most of these guys haven't played more than 60 minutes in the last 4-5 months.

Having said that the crosses from mata and james in first half was horrendous.
I dont understand when we had such a atrong forward in ighalo why didn't we pass to him, let him hold so that mata, lingard and james can run off him.

Good cameo from andreas and chong.

Fred was decent needs more game time.

McT with minutes would have buried both those balls into the net.

Happy for jesse, martial came on and proved why he starts.

Bailly was our best passer in the first half.james need to look up when he gets the ball.

Copenhagen next. Lets win this

Alemar

Didn't think he was on long enough to rate him, but I think it was Ole who said, he has presence. Looks promising.
He was on exactly the same amount of time as Martial as it was a double substitution... :)

sport2793

Fred looked rusty, Scott was okay, Ighalo and the others overall pretty meh. I expect we'll see Pogba, Bruno and Martial for the next match.
Its gonna be the A team, you can be sure of that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People do realise that it was these same squad players for the most part that beat LASK 5-0 right?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Ya but that was pre lockdown + Bruno Fernandes started and provided the sharp attacking impetus to control the match.
But that's what should be happening right? These players playing alongside our first teamers and winning games?

OldTrevil

I thought Bailly, Lingard, Mata and Fred were our best performers and the latter and JL were hard done by the subs. James and McT didnt do themselves any favours and should have been the ones to go off. TFM had an up and down game but kept battling, showed some good plays but ran out of ideas with end product. Iggy ran himself to the ground and was unfortunate with James having one of his worst games for us, although the former had a couple of chances that he should have buried. Credit to Lask players for not phoning it in. Very soon Martial with the black boots and gloves might just be too much sauce for me.

BestRed

Job done, majority of the 1st team rested for Monday. Thought Chong did well when he came on.

The Irish Connection

Must say, and I’ve been a big fan of his, mctominay was poor, as was Mata. Chong did well, deserves more time.

Martialfc

We were so bad and boring in the first half. Fair play to Chong when he came on though he looked half decent. I’d play him in that position more often he’d be better than Williams and Shaw that’s for sure.

Our B team looked so average, we need strengthening during this window. With regards to the Scholes comments, he’s right we would benefit from having a Harry Kane but then again who wouldn’t! I just hope we sign Sancho so I dont have to keep watching James, Lingard and Andreas play anymore.

Okey

Hard game to make judgements on. The tie was done. Was always going to be difficult to raise the performance tonight. Of course our second XI isn't good enough but same team plus Bruno routed this lot at their home. And then most of them have hardly played since. Just for that reason I'll temper judgement. We still won. Job done...

lex talionis

Forgettable, which is actually a great thing. This was not a night for a memorable performance. Clocked punched, job done. Turn the page and forget about this one.

dalriada

He was on exactly the same amount of time as Martial as it was a double substitution... :)
True, and no question about Martial's impact, but still think Mengi didn't have enough involvement in 7 or 8 minutes to make a meaningful rating. Not a criticism, I have a high opinion of him from what I've seen in the second team and hope we see more of him.

Shark

@NotShark
We were so bad and boring in the first half. Fair play to Chong when he came on though he looked half decent. I’d play him in that position more often he’d be better than Williams and Shaw that’s for sure.

Our B team looked so average, we need strengthening during this window. With regards to the Scholes comments, he’s right we would benefit from having a Harry Kane but then again who wouldn’t! I just hope we sign Sancho so I dont have to keep watching James, Lingard and Andreas play anymore.
He's still peddling that tripe? Yeah Harry Kane is brilliant but so is Martial and we've other areas that need far more strengthening.

The Irish Connection

Fred was quite good, pretty much everything good we did for the first 60 minutes came from his passes breaking the defensive line and putting us on the attack. Was disappointed he came off as I want to see him given a chance in the deeper role next to Pogba. The only time we've seen it so far was about a month ago when he came off the bench for the last 20 minutes and did very well in that role. Bailly was fairly good as well, and I thought TFM was probably our third best player in the first half although he seemed to disappear after half time.

Otherwise none of the starters really did anything to put any kind of pressure on the main 11.
Yes, Fred was good without being amazing. I’m glad because he didn’t deserve the poor run of form/game time after lockdown.

Coops73

Thought McTominay, Mata and Jesse played well. Wasn’t the most exiting game but I never thought it would be.

Not sure about Chong and I really feel for James, he looks like a rabbit in the headlights and I want him to do well but looks out of his depth, he has time though and let’s be honest he’s had a tough year or so.

Good result, shite game and Chris Sutton is a cnut of the highest order, the feckwit who gave him a contract should be fired to feck.

Glorio

Lingard and Fred were actually ok, Pereira was surprisingly as well, even though you get the sense that it might just be about the level of opposition!

Bailly actually has a dribble and a pass in him! The answer to beating the high press! :lol:

I didn't get the point of playing TFM at all. Actually, I don't get him as a footballer. What is his actual position? Because he's definitely not a natural fullback.

Scott, Dan, and Juan (even with 2 assists) were really poor, even if Mata improved when James moved to the right.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Thought McTominay, Mata and Jesse played well. Wasn’t the most exiting game but I never thought it would be.

Not sure about Chong and I really feel for James, he looks like a rabbit in the headlights and I want him to do well but looks out of his depth, he has time though and let’s be honest he’s had a tough year or so.

Good result, shite game and Chris Sutton is a cnut of the highest order, the feckwit who gave him a contract should be fired to feck.
Brandon puts in a low cross that should have been converted.. Chris Sutton "terrible final ball"

Their player swings in a routine cross that isn't near anyone and our defender heads away with ease... Also Chris Sutton "what a fantastic delivery! Such pace on the ball..."

Borys

Statistics Wizard
None of Lingard, Mata, James, William and Pereira will have any significant impact next season, so we might replace all of them with some promising players. Mata can stay as I can't imagine him playing as bad as today ever again. Still got 2 assists. He's a mystery to me.

Fred was good, McTominay decent but I think he needs some time to get to his usual level.

In theory Bailly can be a very good partner to Maguire. His decision making was good, made a couple of nice interceptions. I wish he could play a couple of games and not hurt himself.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Brandon puts in a low cross that should have been converted.. Chris Sutton "terrible final ball"

Their player swings in a routine cross that isn't near anyone and our defender heads away with ease... Also Chris Sutton "what a fantastic delivery! Such pace on the ball..."
He had in his mind our final ball had been poor, which it had, so he decided to call that Williams ball woeful despite two players being inches away from poking it in. Clown, and a voice like a millstone turning.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Annihilate Now! @12OunceEpilogue very right about Chris Sutton's colour commentary. Awful, cliched crap all game long. How is it that BT Sport can't find a better colour commentator than bloody Chris Sutton. He's worse than McManaman. Aren''t there any out of work managers that might have something insightful to say that they could get on?

RikRuud

Showed that our deeper squad lacks quality in certain areas. Needed to bring Martial on to to settle the game.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 164 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 LASK
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 LASK