EL W Europa League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:1 LASK

Post-match discussion

Wed, 05 August 2020

Matriac

All in all a good game, feel-good even.
Typical United in Europe.

Yes it was "only" Lask Linz, but considering we were 5-0 up it was no surprise that first half was boring.
And considering that for our First XI only Maguire played 90 (who is our most consistent player), Brandon only starts at the moment because Shaw is injured, Pogba got 30min and Martial 10min.

We won the game, and we played our rotations, when we never had to make an effort.
Yes we should have been leading the game from first half due to chances created, McTominay and Ighalo should have scored. We should have converted others. Mata was slow but still got to opportunities that wasn't converted to chances due to lack in final third. James ran but couldn't do much in the end. Lingard did well for what it's worth, our most creative player through the game, but we lacked in the final third, he scored a goal and did what was asked of him.
At 40mins I called out to my United group chat for Rashford and Chong to come in at 60min for Mata/James.
Didn't happen that way, but we still did OK, guess that's why I'm not the manager.

I thought Pereira did excellent in his 30mins, Chong seemed nervous at first, but later did real well, especially playing off Pereira, they created lots of chances for us.
Super chuffed for Teden Mengi to get his debut, didn't see much of him, but looking forward for more features next season.

Typical harmless Europa game where we give a lot of players the chance and it's a mixed result. We won and got positive answers from some players. I was generally feel-good and happy throughout second half, also cause Martial comes off the bench with less than 10min to go, scores and looks immediately to Ole as to answer that he did promise that goal if he got the chance.

We've given 8 academy players their first start this season. We are in the Round of 8. All around positive vibes!

Edit: Forgot to mention that LASK only scored from a worldie, and part of me feels like De Gea could have saved that as I think he would have been positioned more in the middle of the goal before the shot.

Last edited:

dalriada

1st half only. Why did they stop with that strategy in the 2nd?

It's like the Villa game.
Don't think they can sustain it for 90 minutes. They played pretty well the way their new manager was hinting at in the Austrian press. He has some new players who apparently fit that kind of high-pressing style of play, but they weren't eligible for the EL matches. They've also lost Tetteh and Krauss, their loan players, although Krauss's quality wasn't that impressive in the first leg.

Denis' cuff

Don’t understand some of the comments about Mata. He showed exactly what he is: a decent footballer who is capable/often provides the vital touch but is way off the pace because of lack of physical presence. Who knew?

edcunited1878

@Annihilate Now! @12OunceEpilogue very right about Chris Sutton's colour commentary. Awful, cliched crap all game long. How is it that BT Sport can't find a better colour commentator than bloody Chris Sutton. He's worse than McManaman. Aren''t there any out of work managers that might have something insightful to say that they could get on?
Did he not say at one point that Lingard had to pull his finger out?! I'm pretty confident I heard him say that and I'm thinking, how the feck can you say that?! And he just scored!

Dr. McBeasty

Of the “non-starters” making a case for more starts, have to say Romero, bailly, and possibly Fred made the strongest impressions. If lingard can keep this up, I think he’s worth keeping as a squad player. Chong looked pretty good in his cameo, almost seemed to look stronger than earlier this year. Good to see a lot of players get a chance, but also showed how questionable our overall squad depth is.

lysglimt

Scout
Embarrasing. Safe to say that our B team would fight for relegation in the EPL, and probably lose. And there's people talking about challenging, nuts. Let's see if the board and Ole do what they need to do, bin half of the feckers and replace them with actual quality, starting (late) now. Not going anywhere with this squad.
Embarrassing that out B-team didn't destroy one of the best teams in Austria ? Has it ever occurred to you that OGS probably told his players to avoid injuries and run yourself to the ground ?

Withnail

Embarrassing that out B-team didn't destroy one of the best teams in Austria ? Has it ever occurred to you that OGS probably told his players to avoid injuries and run yourself to the ground ?
It was about fitness for most.

As Ole said a lot of them had started their last game a month ago and weren't match fit.

Think a fair few will get more time against Copenhagen.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Embarrasing. Safe to say that our B team would fight for relegation in the EPL, and probably lose. And there's people talking about challenging, nuts. Let's see if the board and Ole do what they need to do, bin half of the feckers and replace them with actual quality, starting (late) now. Not going anywhere with this squad.
Over the top considering how meaningless the game was and how infrequently some of the payers who played, play.

Fussball13251

Scott McTominay's intelligent movement off the ball made that second goal. It was pretty obvious this seeing as how the first leg was 5:0.

Last edited:

freddie the red

Evidence, as if it was needed, that this squad isn't deep enough to mount a proper challenge for the big prizes.

Withnail

Evidence, as if it was needed, that this squad isn't deep enough to mount a proper challenge for the big prizes.
There is a danger of reading too much into what was essentially a warm up game with nothing on the line.

The squad isn't deep enough for that imo but this match isn't what we should be judging who should stay or go on.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Pereira and Lingard did pretty well. mata , too, when he moved central.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The tie was already won, so was more about giving people a rest and getting minutes on the pitch for others. It did the job without being exciting, but didn't really expect it to be. We still won the game.

pascell

Anyone watched Luckhurst videos of our attacking training drills after the game last night? Words escape me how good of a talent Greenwood is.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That was pretty dull and shows how weak our squad really is. LASK played well but there were some truly poor performances: Mata, James come to mind immediately. Bailly looked good enough to keep, we have to hope Brandon William kicks on next season (he certainly deserves the chance) and there were a few nice touches from Lingard.

The thing that stood out for me - and I expect buckets or abuse - was the last-second save by Romero. Yes it was at a different height but his reflexes were sharp and so was his concentration... unlike DDG at Wembley

freddie the red

There is a danger of reading too much into what was essentially a warm up game with nothing on the line.

The squad isn't deep enough for that imo but this match isn't what we should be judging who should stay or go on.
Haven't taken last night's match in isolation at all, it was never going to be a fair indicator of anything in reality.
No, it was simply a point of view based on an accumulation of match after match watching the "second strings" not even flatter to deceive.
We are, sadly, a long way off the top of the pile atm and the bulk of these players are not going to help us close the gap between where we are and the big trophies.

Craig Ward

being 5-0 up and coasting - we were never going to play a strong team and never play with the intensity of a must win game.

It was always going to be a laboured kind of game.

Lask done well and made us defend. Romero had to make some saves and Maguire was beaten in the air a bit too easily for me. Maguire is hopeless at attacking corners as well - he should score nearly every game.

To those bigging up Lingard and Mata. They done well, yes. But considering the opposition and the limited impact they've had over the last year or two, this is about all they're useful for. Playing well under no pressure, no press in a game we've already won. Lets not get too excited, they're both pretty much ineffective in actual competitive games.

I was disappointed Chong didnt start in truth, we know what Mata and Lingard bring. He done well when he came on and is desperate for minutes. James needs to keep plugging away.

Bailly still manages to look erratic in this kind of game. Ighalo worked hard and deserved a goal. Fred/McTom decent.

Average performance but in truth thats all we needed. Was a good run out for players and i expect a much better performance against Copenhagen

dalriada

Agree with this, some of the football was frustrating to watch at the time, which accounts for all the comments that "xxx isn't good enough...", but look at it in the cold light of day and the objective was to give match time to players who haven't had much since the restart. Some of them will be needed in the following matches, there has to be players fit enough to cover injuries and the new season isn't far off.

We do need to add to the squad to compete, but it's also about getting players to a point where we're not totally dependent on the "First XI" every match, so there'll be crappy performances along the way.

briansy

That game gave me chills and brought me back to a dark place from early in our season. It is a sobering reminder of how lacking in depth our squad is. Just turd.

Gordon S

It was obvious the players lacked sharpness, a lot of it! But i honestly enjoyed that! We played with some decent intensity and we tried to go forward and create chances. If just one of Martial or Greenwood played from start i think we could have got 2-3 more goals.

People complaining about this game should go back and watch a couple of our games from the LvG and Mou era. Endless sideway passing with no intensity or attacking intent, and hoofing it to Lukaku/Fellaini for 90minutes

King Andow

You are half right and half wrong. Remember, most of these boys has carried our season. But some of them need to go. Out on loan, and some out of the club.
Who?

They are terrible and coming from 4 defeats in a row. And sure, James and co were holding back from injuries, even if they need to prove themselves to keep a place in the squad. They're not just bad at all.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Total non-event until LASK scored. Attacking wise back to the reason why the first part of the season was poor producing chances with no.14 as no.10 ho ho, he did score though.
Better after the hour mark.
Fred, James and McTominay were poor.
Mata and Williams did OK and Pogba and Martial provided some better class.

Anyway moving on to more serious matches and would be nice to win this cup again.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 164 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 LASK
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 LASK