PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 July 2020

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The morning after: the main emotion is relief. Now let's see which players we actually sign - there is no excuse of not being in the CL. We are still miles away from Liverpool (and City despite the results against them).

The Leicester game was Southampton and West Ham again but this time we got over the line. What is clear is that Bruno needs more help in midfield. As soon as his game drops off, so do we and so do the results. Pogba was awful in the first half but did some good defensive work in the second. I still think we can do better than him. DDG still looked shaky despite having little to do - I can't help thinking his confidence is shot to hell.

I thought Lindelof was magnificent yesterday and on a number of occasions he has looked steadier than Maguire. The more the two play together the better.... there are more important holes in the squad to fill although if there's enough money more CB cover would be good.

Of course, this season was weird and I can't help feeling the long lay-off helped us in one way but everyone looked shattered long before Sunday. I do worry that they will get so little rest before next season and that includes Ole who needs to switch off.

Over all, I never expected to finish above Chelsea so third is pretty good but I'm not sure we've progressed as much as some people seem to think (Ole included). Major reinforcements are vital in this window as is a director of football (yeh, right!)

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
What are you talking about, there is no CL qualifier, all 4 teams go into CL group stages.

Beside, have you forgotten about Europa in Germany? 3 more games for a trophy, what is wrong with that?
Thought it was just the top two that auto qualified and 3rd and 4th entered the 3rd round?

See! Too long without CL football!

Untd55

Nope, 1st, 2nd and 3rd get automatic entry. 4th is a playoff, usually one game.
4th is automatic also. All Champion's League positions in the Premier League automatically go into the group stage.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If we win the EL does that mean Leicester get in to the CL?
I think that the PL would only get a 5th CL spot if the winner of the EL or CL finished outside of the top 4.

cyril C

I think that the PL would only get a 5th CL spot if the winner of the EL or CL finished outside of the top 4.
The 5th Club clause get triggered, when the CL or Europa winner, falls outside Top 4. Say if Wolves win Europa, then they become the 5th Club into CL.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Bruno was absolutely shattered and yet still scored a crucial penalty. When you are exhausted it takes a special player to have the mentality to be able to take responsibility. Hopefully, we will be able to buy in the summer and be able to give him , and the others who were out on their feet - Rashford, for one - a good rest . I would have taken a 3rd place at the start of the season, absolutely amazed that they made that. Im still unsure whether Ole is the man for the job. he could have blown it by over relying on a few players; not wishing to be Captain Hindsight but the Europa League could have seen some of them have a rest - there again it was an insurance to get into the Champions League if we failed to get in via the PL.

And now it all starts again in about a month's time!!!! Got to get cracking in the transfer market !

USREDEVIL

Still buzzing about it. Means a ton for our near future in terms of money, prestige, progress, team spirit and signings. This needs to be the moment when United turned it around.

DannyDee

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

If a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League, and neither finish in the top four, the club lying fourth in the Premier League will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1724150#:~:text=If a Premier League club,UEFA Europa League group stage.
The scenario that drops the 4th place team out isn't possible though. Even if Wolves win Europa League, every other team left in UCL in the EPL has already qualified through league play (City and Chelsea).

ReallyUSA

The scenario that drops the 4th place team out isn't possible though. Even if Wolves win Europa League, every other team left in UCL in the EPL has already qualified through league play (City and Chelsea).
I understand that, just spreading the full message so we all understand. Question was asked a few times.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 356 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Leicester 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd