PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 July 2020

littleman

On Danish television, the pundits talk about United having improved compared to recent seasons. But if you look at the number of points we have achieved the last 5 seasons, there has not been a big change:

Season 19/20: 66p (3rd place)

Season 18/19: 66p. (6th place)

Season 17/18: 81p. (2nd place)

Season 16/17: 69p. (6th place)

Season 15/16: 66p. (5th place).

The question then is whether one can measure an improvement in points, in position or in the way the team plays?
Maybe 66 points gave a 3rd place this year rather than a 6th place this year because several other teams have improved?
It's a good point, but almost impossible to judge fairly. I'd say the 17/18 team would beat this team in most games head-to-head.

In the end though, trophies and honors and qualifications are a relative game and you can only be as good as your competition so that's all that matters.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I can’t say I remember watching him tbh. Deeney has been a constant thorn in the side of top 6 sides for a few years now, and could be a a shrewd signing.
Not disagreeing but I'd take him on a free not a buy.

Besides the direction Ole wants us to go in is much more the City/Liverpool style: speed,possession,creativity with mobile forwards. I have a lot of time for Deeny with his honesty and character but he's not the type we'll sign

sport2793

It's a good point, but almost impossible to judge fairly. I'd say the 17/18 team would beat this team in most games head-to-head.

In the end though, trophies and honors and qualifications are a relative game and you can only be as good as your competition so that's all that matters.
Na, no way. This starting XI would dominate that 17/18 team, the league was weaker that season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not disagreeing but I'd take him on a free not a buy.

Besides the direction Ole wants us to go in is much more the City/Liverpool style: speed,possession,creativity with mobile forwards. I have a lot of time for Deeny with his honesty and character but he's not the type we'll sign
Everyone needs a plan B though. As a replacement for Ighalo sit on the bench and shake things up when he comes on I’d take him, not as first choice though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Everyone needs a plan B though. As a replacement for Ighalo sit on the bench and shake things up when he comes on I’d take him, not as first choice though.
I can see where your coming from so why not go for a much more talented option who's around the 28-30/31 age bracket

HarryRedCrumbs

Not the prettiest game but they got it done, and finished with a humorous goal from good old J-Lingz. Some of the big guns looking really tired over the last few games and I hope they get a good rest, and a meatier squad for next season. Big thanks to Ole for getting us here, and big respect to everyone who’s backed him all the way.

Alemar

Then again if we’d finished 5th and won, would 4th get bumped off the CL places?
Also no, in this case England would have got 5 teams in the CL. But given we are in the top 4, now our winning of the EL wouldn’t yield additional CL quota. Actually, it may still happen if Wolves win it

freddie the red

Not a fan of Jesse as a footballer but I believe he's had a fair amount of personal issues away from the pitch so I'm pleased for him that he got his goal at the death.
Also, it just shows that a spot of timely pressing on the keeper can bring great rewards.......ain't that right Dave??

sp_107

On Danish television, the pundits talk about United having improved compared to recent seasons. But if you look at the number of points we have achieved the last 5 seasons, there has not been a big change:

The question then is whether one can measure an improvement in points, in position or in the way the team plays?
Maybe 66 points gave a 3rd place this year rather than a 6th place this year because several other teams have improved?
it’s not about points or 3rd place but I really enjoyed our football since January after a long time. hope we build on from here

dare to say even SAF last 2/3 seasons were also not that great as our midfield was so dire but games since Bruno arrived were really great

instead of being just a one trick counter attacking team we are now capable of playing different ways

R'hllor

It would be really bad that we missed on CL and lose vs that Leicester team, them without those names, so my issues i have when it comes to certain aspects of Ole`s managment, glad for him that he pulled it off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I can see where your coming from so why not go for a much more talented option who's around the 28-30/31 age bracket
Like I say I haven't seen him play. Whenever I hear Sarr I think of that French centre back who's around 19 years old.

Okey

So so so proud of the boys. After such a topsy turvy season and so many misses when opportunities presented, this might be a seminal moment for them. It's how mentality gets built after all. If they can win EL, they'll be a much better group going forward. Now for some much needed rest. Shouldn't need too many of the big boys for the next 2 games. The team have done their job. Now up to the board to so theirs. Big summer needed to consolidate!

wolvored

An unlikely win today. Could see this fizzleing out to a 0-0 draw. We semed knackered since Southampton. Its obvious that we need top class recuitment in RW CD and DM positions.

Gopher Brown

I honestly felt like that was one of the worst performances of the season and I'm amazed we won. We could barely string a pass together, players ambling around, seemingly not bothered if we win or draw (or lose). If that was tiredness then Ole needs to learn to use his squad more, but they've essentially had 3 months of pre-season training for the last few games.

Bigger picture stuff - great we got 3rd and Ole deserves a lot of credit. I've not been convinced of him in the past, but he's getting there.

peridigm

I can’t recall if we were so obvious when attempting to play out of the back before lockdown or not. We’ve clearly been doing it since the restart. I have to say it makes for some squirmy matches. I don’t know why we’re so slow with it. Letting opponent press us back further and further until a FB is forced to pass to a defender under immense pressure and then we give away a chance or concede a soft goal. Gives me nightmares of LVG football. Missed several chances today but overall a different mindset compared to our last two matches. Not everyone was firing on all cylinders either but we got the job done. The squad is building character and it shows. Glad the season is over as a couple more match weeks playing 2-3 times per week might have seen us crumble.

Giggsy13

Putting things into perspective further, we had 79 points during our treble winning season. The mid table clubs like Wolves and SU did well and the former have navigated the transfer market more efficiently and effectively than the traditional big clubs. Chelsea are investing heavily and we will likely follow suit now so you could see the gap widening again to the usual levels.

Devil may care

Both teams looked nervy, neither played particularly well but we got the job done and have given ourselves a stronger base to build on with CL qualification.

cyril C

The last few games have been awful for the mental health but we're third!

Now rest Bruno. Until the start of CL qualifier, league start.
What are you talking about, there is no CL qualifier, all 4 teams go into CL group stages.

Beside, have you forgotten about Europa in Germany? 3 more games for a trophy, what is wrong with that?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Meh. We beat an injury hit Leicester in front of a bunch of subs and F all else.
We were 33 points off the winners.
I'm not chucking back the bubbly here.
If we go out and buy a centre back, a midfielder, at least one winger and a striker I promise to be suitably happy.

zenith

I did not see this game on telly for fear of jinxing us and having my nerves shredded but followed it on the BBC feed intermittently.

Can't believe we have finished at the dizzy height of third. Well done team and well done ole.

Hopefully we can push on from here

ReallyUSA

Then again if we’d finished 5th and won, would 4th get bumped off the CL places?

A maximum of five Premier League teams are eligible for UEFA Champions League qualification.

If a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League, and neither finish in the top four, the club lying fourth in the Premier League will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/...er League club,UEFA Europa League group stage.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Meh. We beat an injury hit Leicester in front of a bunch of subs and F all else.
We were 33 points off the winners.
I'm not chucking back the bubbly here.
If we go out and buy a centre back, a midfielder, at least one winger and a striker I promise to be suitably happy.
Whilst I am a tad more congratulatory of United's achievements this season I agree with your points.

I don't think we will end up with more than 3 additions.

I really hope we get a CB. While I saw a few positive passages of play from us from the front 3, that backline looked incredibly nervy and Maguire seemed less self-assured than what is required for a defender of his stature (i.e. price tag).

What CB do we go for to partner Maguire is the next big question. We need a no-nonsense CB.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Care to elaborate?
Well..
Martial is easily our best player...?
Bruno awful.
Without Bruno yesterday...
Without Bruno 2020...
Where are we?
Martial is ‘easily‘... I like him ... but, no he is not easily ...

On a day when we stumbled home. Scraped home. Shattered - every fan watching from behind the couch - the post seemed weirdly out of tune with the sentiment I as a supporter was feeling ... Bruno was far from perfect, but he was far from awful. Go celebrate; and go easy on the absolute judgements, I’d say. (I might say the same to myself!!) And best wishes!

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 356 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Leicester 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd