PL W FA Premier League

Leicester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 26 July 2020

Shiva87

Massive relief and this gives us a good platform for next season, but man, there's a lot of work to be done. A huge improvement is needed, both in terms of players and game management.
I thought game management today was excellent. We never let Leicester get momentum and manged both our energy and the scoreline. I don't remember a better 25 mins that we have played (after the 70th min goal) in a under pressure situation. Time wasting, unnecessary fouling, keeping the ball at times, making subs - all of it was spot on.

OneUnited24

I get it wasn’t a classic but I don’t get people saying we were awful. I thought we controlled the game for most of it bar a few brain fart moments.

Im buzzing great achievement by ole and the boys given the injuries we’ve had throughout the season. Hopefully we get our business done early to give players a chance to integrate with the team

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
What a surprise, we qualify for the Champions League, we finish third and there are only six pages of this thread.

Almost as if our hystercal schoolgirl 'fans' are disappointed we didn't fail. Then I look at the ratings and Lindelof and Lingard lead the ratings; haha!

Anyway, nervous match , bit sterile but Leicester were equally not threatening , only our own mistakes put us in a bit of trouble.

Not at our best but well done, catch up 17 points on Leicester i some feat and overtake Chelsea and guess what the match against West Ham we didn't need to win, .

Lingard finally contributes something eight minutes into injury time in the last match of the season which was already won and asks Ole, can I have a new contract please.

Right, well done Ole and let's win the Europa League!

sport2793

Had the CL theme song on loop for the last 30 minutes. Amazing achievement to get 3rd from the "relegation" position we were in earlier in the season. Of course, we need to now improve and start challenging for the league again. My hope is to get 4 quality players in this window, next season the team learns to play together and get better at pressure situations, finish in the top 3 and then really go for the title in 2021-22.

edgecutter

What a surprise, we qualify for the Champions League, we finish third and there are only six pages of this thread.

Almost as if our hystercal schoolgirl 'fans' are disappointed we didn't fail. Then I look at the ratings and Lindelof and Lingard lead the ratings; haha!

Anyway, nervous match , bit sterile but Leicester were equally not threatening , only our own mistakes put us in a bit of trouble.

Not at our best but well done, catch up 17 points on Leicester i some feat and overtake Chelsea and guess what the match against West Ham we didn't need to win, .

Lingard finally contributes something eight minutes into injury time in the last match of the season which was already won and asks Ole, can I have a new contract please.

Right, well done Ole and let's win the Europa League!
Mate, a lot of people don't post when we win, and that hasn't changed after this result.

HowYouDoin

Amazing. Whats more to say. Woah.

Now lets get some good players and we will be a tough team to play against.
We really need better full backs especially cuz we play from the back so much.
Get two full backs and then whatever else we can get, I dont care.

DavidDeSchmikes

Where's that "could we get relegated" thread gone? Woooo PL for another season:p
CL:D
Bruno scoring again
De Gea with a clean sheet (13th in the league
Lingard scoring our final goal of the league season
Good game for Lindelof

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We just need a trophy now, but we did great to finish like this. So damn happy.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Completely embarrassing lurking the match day thread all through that game. So many takes like “Ole has to go”, “Bruno is a poor passer”, “Rashford in average”, “can PSG buy Rashford please?” Etc. Just embarrassing.

Manchie

The end justify the means! top 4 acquired and at this stage it's all that matters

newgiz

Happy that we made it through to the CL. I hope the board sees this as the first step towards a crucial rebuild. I know Ole has talked about the need for improvement, so I am confident that he's not going to be comfortable with just third.

Our performances since Bruno's signing (who has been phenomenal) have been for the most part positive. The few stutters we have had along the way have been primarily down to the lack of depth in the squad, and I hope we address that in the off-season. We need a CB,CDM,CAM,RW at minimum and I hope that we make the signings we need to close the gap to Liverpool and City.

Come on United!

DSG

Over the moon... a real relief.

Not particularly convincing. Almost threw the remote control with the Rashford miss. Will say that Ieanacho’s bad miss and Morgan’s whiff... a better team would have punished us.

DeGea looked really shaky. I have zero confidence in him right now.

downunder red

Very professional display by a very tired side. Well done to Ole and the rest of the staff behind the the scenes.
Over to you now Ed. Back Ole with a good transfer, or two, or three, or maybe even four.

TheMod

Bruno has basically paid his transfer fee back to us...if we didn't sign him there is no chance we would get champs league

Adcuth

What would the returns on this Lingard not scoring bet have been?

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Happy that we made it through to the CL. I hope the board sees this as the first step towards a crucial rebuild. I know Ole has talked about the need for improvement, so I am confident that he's not going to be comfortable with just third.

Our performances since Bruno's signing (who has been phenomenal) have been for the most part positive. The few stutters we have had along the way have been primarily down to the lack of depth in the squad, and I hope we address that in the off-season. We need a CB,CDM,CAM,RW at minimum and I hope that we make the signings we need to close the gap to Liverpool and City.

Come on United!
He definitely won't be comfortable with third. Regardless of the debate over his abilities as a manager, he came from a winning culture after all. He also told the board that he had a 3-year plan when he first came in, let's hope it goes smoothly.

Dash247

Job Done. Couldn't get a good sleep last night as I kept thinking about the outcomes for today's game. We were a bit shacky but I am glad we pulled those 2 goals from this game. We have had been mostly wonderful since the season restarted. Lets go get that Europa League title as well.

FatherWolff

I thought game management today was excellent. We never let Leicester get momentum and manged both our energy and the scoreline. I don't remember a better 25 mins that we have played (after the 70th min goal) in a under pressure situation. Time wasting, unnecessary fouling, keeping the ball at times, making subs - all of it was spot on.
Indeed. And leaders. Matic stepped up. Pogba stepped up. All did their job! It was a shit game up to 70 minutes.

Bobski

Completely embarrassing lurking the match day thread all through that game. So many takes like “Ole has to go”, “Bruno is a poor passer”, “Rashford in average”, “can PSG buy Rashford please?” Etc. Just embarrassing.
As is your reaction here. Match threads, on every forum, from every team, are full of the same hyperbolic statements. It is how people deal with the stress of the match day situation, most people understand this and know not to take those specific threads too seriously.

UDontMessWith24

Ole proved the haters wrong. Proud you, Ole.
He proved those that completely dismissed his managerial abilities wrong. He deserves credit for the turnaround, and hopefully he will reap the benefits he earned in terms of strengthening the depth of the squad and (maybe) keeping Pogba around. This is the lowest point total for a third place finish in over a decade if I’m not mistaken, so I’m still not ready to say I feel confident that he can lead us to title contention.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
As is your reaction here. Match threads, on every forum, from every team, are full of the same hyperbolic statements. It is how people deal with the stress of the match day situation, most people understand this and know not to take those specific threads too seriously.
Yeah. People are stressed and react to the situations as they are happening. Goodness knows what was going on with Leicester fans. This is why this is a good forum. You can criticise the teams when they deserve it.

Gator Nate

Stayed out of the matchday thread until the Lingard goal... enjoyed the game much more that way.

The only thing poor I felt we did today was passing. Too many passes behind the target, which has been a theme the last several games. And Pogba is too slow for this setup. Not sure if it is a mental thing or if he's tired or if he's just that slow.

Beyond that, the back line was solid. I though Williams played very well. Lindelof was aggressive. Maguire was passionate.

While I voted Lingard MOTM because I could, really, I thought Martial was tops. Good movement, would have had that goal if two guys hadn't gone in on him like that.

Rashford looks lost. Not sure what's going on with him right now.

DeGea made a couple of decent saves but I never thought he was challenged, which leads me to: Even in the second have, I never felt we were threatened.

Credit to Leicester: Defensively, they played like a top-tier team and kept us out of the goal. I really felt we were doing something in the first 20 minutes, but we just couldn't penetrate or finish.

Loved that Lingard got that goal to finish off the year. He played aggressively from the moment he took the field and it paid off in spades at the end.

Born2Lose

Crossed the finish line in the top 4 which was the main thing. Hopefully a busy summer with a lot of ins and outs to come.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We meet Wolves in the final and play the E team :lol:

But I hear 4th doesn't lose it's spot in this scenario though.
Yeah if Chelsea had finished in 5th and gone on to win the Champions League and Wolves win the Europa League, Leicester in 4th would have dropped into the Europa League.

Champions League would go to Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Wolves...in that scenario.

fps

As expected United got a win, Leicester have been hamstrung by their injuries but I was surprised Barnes didn’t start as a direct player who could cause problems, Iheanacho utterly anonymous as well when Leicester must really have hoped he would step up to an occasion like this.

United often slowed the tempo, played like professionals rather than lovers of the game, but it’s been quite a schedule and a fantastic run of form. Special mention for Bruno who was knackered from minute one but did not stop trying or running and eventually did find that killer pass for the penalty. Additional mention for Martial who worked so hard when he may have gone missing in a match like that in the past, and finally Lindelof was fantastic.

It did ram home that three or so high quality signings are needed this summer mind. Bench has very little on it that you’d use to turn/control a game.

reddevil80

GET IN!!!!!
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WE'RE BACK HA HA HA.

WELL DONE TO OLE AND THE BOYS AND THANK YOU TO SPORTING FOR BRUNO.

We are in desperate need of quality for ECL next year, let's hope we can get it pre season.

P.s, Congrat's Jesse too.

Schmeichel=God

The only thing poor I felt we did today was passing. Too many passes behind the target, which has been a theme the last several games. And Pogba is too slow for this setup. Not sure if it is a mental thing or if he's tired or if he's just that slow.
I am beginning to verge on the idea of selling Paul, but I don't think we'd get the right money for him now.

In this midfield 3 with one DM sitting (Matic) and one AM pushing ahead (Bruno) I think we need more mobility and intensity from the one in between, the box to box. Pogba is too often mia for me.

So if we have a buyer at a good price for him, then why not...wages off the bill, and go for a more all action reliable type with more consistency.

For all his strength and technical ability he is dispossessed too often, so going for someone less showy, more reliable, more tenacious...might well be of benefit to us.

McT is rather in that mould for me; less technical ability but more oomph. But no harm in using funds from any Pogba sale to go for another CM or AM, as we could bring Fernandes back to CM due to his work rate.

(Potential for a two footed Greenwood at AM/False Nine behind Martial, with Sancho at RW?) :drool:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thought we played pretty well after our first goal. Managed the game well - possession, time wasting, fouls etc.
SAF type of closing a game down. Could have been a goal up at HT really if Rashy had a little bit more luck with the spinning ball.

Maureen-yo

He didn't.
Interestingly, I was reading an article about possible changes to Fantasy Football next season and they are thinking of awarding extra points for a player scoring the ‘winning goal’, so if it was 3-0 would anybody get a bonus point? Seems strange, almost like disadvantaging players playing for teams that don’t win by just 1 goal. The lower teams normally win games by less goals/margins.

Nikelesh Reddy

Great result,professional performance...I thought the first half was very scrappy and tense,there was probably too much at stake for it to be a free flowing game...But as Leicester came at us more in the 2nd half,we did find plenty of space to hit them on the break and in the end,we thoroughly deserved the 3 points...A hugely consequential result that could be a springboard for the future...

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 356 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Leicester 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd