PL D FA Premier League

Leicester City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 December 2020

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We were the better team as we created better quality chances. Even their 2nd goal was going wide until it took deflection from Tuanzebe but we need to do better in defending the lead.

I thought it would have been better if we play Lindelof & Maguire instead and use Tuanzebe as right back. Unless if it’s for a top centre back or new player like Upamecano, I don’t like the idea to break our pair centre backs who have built good understanding and partnership. Prior this game & post spurs game, we only conceded goals from two open play goals only which very good top bin corner from Leeds and the Everton goal. The rest of the goals we conceded were own goal and set pieces.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Had some time to reflect on this result. Definitely furious about dropping 2 points but at the same time I think our attack (in full flow and momentum) is mesmerising to watch. There is now an acceptable baseline level of performance, even if the results don’t always come our way.

We’ve not crumbled in recent games or completely stopped trying. There is a bit of confidence that we’ll get a positive result no matter the opposition - which wasn’t always the case post-Fergie.

If we beef up that defence in January and stop playing short passes around the backline - play towards our skill set involving quick clinical counters, we might see a trophy sooner than most expect.

Dr Fink

Although Bruno will get the plaudits, I thought Shaw was magnificent yesterday. It was one of his best displays. The weak link is Lindelof, not strong enough. Bailly and Harry looked good. We looked better with Tuanzebe at RB too. Cavani I up top with Martial LW, Rashford RW and Bruno behind Cavani is the optimum front set up.

I doubted Cavani’s signing, being honest, but he looks everything we’ve been missing up top. Neither Rashford or Martial are strikers.

TsuWave

really annoyed at not winning this so much so I kept my activity post game to a minimum. Fully avoided most football discussions/highlights etc

it was there for the taking. feck sake

vanrooney

it only shows our progress imo. nowadays you have the feeling again that there is the chance that we score again at 1-1 in the 80 min. had we won the game it would have been a typical win that typifies a champion. maybe we are not there yet but in the end it was an unlucky goal to concede as the ball went wide. nevertheless i am happy that watching united is fun again since ole took over. of course there were also many downsides on the way until now but all in all i think we are on the right track. hope we can get 6 points out of the next two games and maybe we are lucky and liverpool looses some points. its a long way to go so i will just enjoy the ride.

Foxbatt

We were the better team as we created better quality chances. Even their 2nd goal was going wide until it took deflection from Tuanzebe but we need to do better in defending the lead.

I thought it would have been better if we play Lindelof & Maguire instead and use Tuanzebe as right back. Unless if it’s for a top centre back or new player like Upamecano, I don’t like the idea to break our pair centre backs who have built good understanding and partnership. Prior this game & post spurs game, we only conceded goals from two open play goals only which very good top bin corner from Leeds and the Everton goal. The rest of the goals we conceded were own goal and set pieces.
I agree with you that we should have played Lindelof as the CB.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Starting to feel like it's 2 points missed after Liverpool's draw.
One way to look at it. However if I'd have offered you the same gap to Liverpool before the fixtures you'd have taken it. We had the much much tougher game so to come out of the weekend 1pt better off than Chelsea and evens with Liverpool I think we have to be relatively happy with that.

Beat Wolves and Villa at home now and we will be looking very strong going into the new year.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I felt it was two points lost and a big let down but now we're still very much in the game. We're not the only ones who will drop more points this season, plenty of teams will and it's just about being within reaching distance to win the PL.

el3mel

Well it's 2 points dropped regardless of Liverpool result since we were the team leading and got the lead twice not just once. It's 2 points dropped for us and 1 point won by Leicester, but still, it's not a very disappointing result. We're not going to win every game against top 6 side, so onwards and upwards.

wolvored

One way to look at it. However if I'd have offered you the same gap to Liverpool before the fixtures you'd have taken it. We had the much much tougher game so to come out of the weekend 1pt better off than Chelsea and evens with Liverpool I think we have to be relatively happy with that.

Beat Wolves and Villa at home now and we will be looking very strong going into the new year.
Yes agree with that. As you said if offered it was all square after the weekend you would take it. The Baggies did everyone a favour.

always_hoping

It's not a divine right. It's accepting mediocrity if you accept losing a match is not a big deal. Why saf won so much was because he didn't accept losing.
Ferguson said win your home games and avoid away defeats as much as possible. United never looked like losing yesterday.

United away form 10 wins and 1 draw is better than anything Fergie managed. Need to find Fergies home form then a title challenge will become a reality.

Foxbatt

Ferguson said win your home games and avoid away defeats as much as possible. United never looked like losing yesterday.

United away form 10 wins and 1 draw is better than anything Fergie managed. Need to find Fergies home form then a title challenge will become a reality.
It is not slamming Ole for this. It is just that as a United fan from 1967 I cannot accept this acceptance of not winning a match. We never did even then though we were horrible for a long time.

Grande

So we have won six games and drawn two (City and Leicester). Liverpool drew at home vs the Baggies tonight. I’d like to stand up on my soap box then and declare I had not expected us to be in the vicinity of the title this year, so I can’t see how I’m going to fin a way to say I’m disappointed with our consistency and look at Klopp right now. But, come new year, I’m sure I’ll come up witj something.

Grande

It is not slamming Ole for this. It is just that as a United fan from 1967 I cannot accept this acceptance of not winning a match. We never did even then though we were horrible for a long time.
I get you’re not slamming Ole. I quite enjoyed some of the years under Ron Atkinson. I do remember very well how I was bitterly disappointed and at the same time slightly elated by a 0-0 against a good Spurs side with Hoddle on song. Of course I was a kid. The elation gets harder to come by just because of age I guess, it was like that even under Fergie. But the disappointment of a not-win seems timeless. However, by the time I sit down and write something, these days I’ve normally cooled down enough to separate that disappointing feeling from the fact of a draw away to a team at the top end of the table being what they call ‘a good result’. If the disappointment stems also from us leading, having more chances, seeming to control the game, and the conceding something of a flukish goal, I can see that it’s actually a good sign of where were at at the moment. Still got that disappointment rummageing somewhere in there though.

I love hearing players like Bruno and Keano grtting genuinely angry we don’t beat a front runner away. I do find it strange that there are fans who actually think it wood be good for the team if every fan thought like that. Getting a bollocking after a draw at Leicester by Bruno will possibly raise your determination if you’re Dan James. If two million fans on twitter, seventy thousand people in the streets of Manchester and the girlfriend of the sanitizing assistant give you the same vibes every week, though, I’m quite sure it’s not going to raise neither spirits nor standards. Rather the opposite.

Winrar

Disappointing draw in the end, but still a marked improvement in our overall performances. Looked fairly comfortable to a current top 6 side in decent form. Just to give another perspective, roughly for every game like this we will also have games like away vs Brighton where we somehow walked away with a win despite looking like conceding 8 that day.

If we ever do find ourselves challenging for the title in 3-4 months time, however, we can't afford to be too much more sloppy. We might be able to get away with it if we are more clinical in front of goal which we aren't at the moment.

ali8karimi

think we would have won it with the Everton match line up with Rashford in for VDB as the only change

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Just read that Manhcester United is the first team to score 2 or more goals in 11 consecutive top flight away games since......Manchester United, in 1959.

So the offensive output is overall better in away games than it's been in 61 years. Not too bad.

James Peril

Just read that Manhcester United is the first team to score 2 or more goals in 11 consecutive top flight away games since......Manchester United, in 1959.

So the offensive output is overall better in away games than it's been in 61 years. Not too bad.
Which is 100% down to Covid and the lack of normal conditions, fans etc. Not taking anything away from a brilliant run in terms of results, but it has to be mentioned regardless. Which also explains our not so good run at home, making it slightly easier for teams to take points at Old Trafford.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is Manchester United we are talking about and we should never accept being beaten or draw a match.
What if I told you that the universe disagrees with this position and there's not a thing you can do about it?

tomaldinho1

Posters are slamming our defence but we barely give up any chances.

I’d be intrigued to see the xG for yesterday
They were 1.4 and we were 2.08 - which pretty nicely sums up why xG should always be taken with a pinch of salt and not used as a reliable stat but more of a guideline (at best).

For example Rashford's glaring miss only counted as 0.37

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So I've decided I don't accept it. Now what?

Denis' cuff

I think theres a broad sweep regarding “acceptance”. I don’t give a shite how old or how long you’ve been a red but all this “we are Manchester United” is utter horseshite. We were Manchester United when we were relegated, whilst Busby and Edwards lined their pockets instead of investing in the team. We got a creditable, albeit frustrating draw at 2nd place Leicester but you’d think we’d been relegated. Ffs, we’ve got a guy posting just above, claiming he’s been a supporter since 67, yet can’t cope with yesterday’s outcome. Good job he doesn’t support Liverpool or Chelsea, or Spurs. Wouldnt have slept last night.

we’ve gone from ultra-cluelessness to ultra-possession to ultra-counter-attack through three different managers, none of whom, no matter what you think of them, were given a real chance to see it through. We’re seeing more entertaining football and better results under Ole but there are the same old dickheads who can’t wait to change managers again. Just for once, let’s give him a chance, like Fergie got. He’ll never be Fergie. Nobody has or ever will be. Liverpool have got lucky with Klopp, like we did with Fergie. It happens. It will pass. Poch or whoever won’t change that. Seems a nice bloke though. Unlike Fergie, of course.

Longshanks

They were 1.4 and we were 2.08 - which pretty nicely sums up why xG should always be taken with a pinch of salt and not used as a reliable stat but more of a guideline (at best).

For example Rashford's glaring miss only counted as 0.37
Even more intriguing is the awarding of
0.5 to Perez for his last minute chance which was ruled offside. Leicester were 1.04 with that included, the actual xg should be 0.5 -2.08

Schnappo

it only shows our progress imo. nowadays you have the feeling again that there is the chance that we score again at 1-1 in the 80 min. had we won the game it would have been a typical win that typifies a champion. maybe we are not there yet but in the end it was an unlucky goal to concede as the ball went wide. nevertheless i am happy that watching united is fun again since ole took over. of course there were also many downsides on the way until now but all in all i think we are on the right track. hope we can get 6 points out of the next two games and maybe we are lucky and liverpool looses some points. its a long way to go so i will just enjoy the ride.
True - I do feel like there has been a shift in the mentality of the players this season. It wasn't too long ago that if we were 1-0 down I wouldn't be particularly confident of us getting back into the game. This season its felt as though almost every game we go a goal down and end up winning. I'm glad the players have the belief to keep going.

A point away to Leicester is generally not a bad point - in hindsight I'm okay with it as we're still 4 points off the top. Who knows, had United won it may well have spurred Liverpool on to get the win against West Brom - maybe there was a bit of complacency there.

Reactions: Sultan

tomaldinho1

Even more intriguing is the awarding of
0.5 to Perez for his last minute chance which was ruled offside. Leicester were 1.04 with that included, the actual xg should be 0.5 -2.08
Yh I was trying to work out if I'd forgotten a chance they had or if that was it. I guess because of the new offside rule (flag not going up) it might still count or maybe it touched a United player.

What's crazy is they essentially rate Bruno's header from Shaw's FK as the same likelihood as Rashford's header

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Watching again the first half and second (after our goal), I just realized most people got it all wrong. We were dogshit in the first 20mins, couldn't keep the ball under Leicester pressing. We scored and then we actually had our best period of the game (29:55 comentator says "this is a good spell for United, they went 1-0 up, in the past they might've conceded a quick one but they've taken the pace off the game, taken control of the the game, little bit of possession, and then somebody makes than run in behind, they've got the pace to hurt you"- the sentence finishes 30:12). And then out of nowhere Leicester get a goal 30:48.

I don't know if people want us to stop attacking after scoring a goal? Because we actually tend to be too offensive instead of keeping the ball. Not sure if getting a DM will solve this "issue", it seems to be approach we take to attack directly.

In the buildup to Leicester second goal, Tielemans passes straight at Pogba, ball bounces back to Barnes who passes it to Perez who runs into Shaw, but somehow one of Leicester players passes it back to Perez who passes it to Vardy who shots at Tuanzebe and ball ends up in goal. Ridiculous luck, but they fought hard to earn it really.

Foxbatt

I think theres a broad sweep regarding “acceptance”. I don’t give a shite how old or how long you’ve been a red but all this “we are Manchester United” is utter horseshite. We were Manchester United when we were relegated, whilst Busby and Edwards lined their pockets instead of investing in the team. We got a creditable, albeit frustrating draw at 2nd place Leicester but you’d think we’d been relegated. Ffs, we’ve got a guy posting just above, claiming he’s been a supporter since 67, yet can’t cope with yesterday’s outcome. Good job he doesn’t support Liverpool or Chelsea, or Spurs. Wouldnt have slept last night.

we’ve gone from ultra-cluelessness to ultra-possession to ultra-counter-attack through three different managers, none of whom, no matter what you think of them, were given a real chance to see it through. We’re seeing more entertaining football and better results under Ole but there are the same old dickheads who can’t wait to change managers again. Just for once, let’s give him a chance, like Fergie got. He’ll never be Fergie. Nobody has or ever will be. Liverpool have got lucky with Klopp, like we did with Fergie. It happens. It will pass. Poch or whoever won’t change that. Seems a nice bloke though. Unlike Fergie, of course.
It is me and yes I have been a supporter since 1967. Not like some people who start supporting when we start winning trophies under Fergie. You would never understand winning the EC as the first British club to win it and then relegation to the second division and seeing Liverpool win all those trophies while we struggled. Unless you live through it you would never understand it. Playing in places like Oxford United in a mud hole etc.
This is not calling for the change of the Manager. I never wanted Poch and I have said yesterday's result should not be used to slate Ole. This is calling you guys who accept mediocrity at United. Ole or not we should expect to win every game we play.

Red00012

We barely give up any chances which makes the fact we conceded twice pretty shite.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

xG=2,2 xGA=1,2
Up until 90th minute we had them below 0,5. They had 1 shot on target all game.

People tend to overreact although our midfield and defense did really well that game.

Lentwood

xG=2,2 xGA=1,2
Up until 90th minute we had them below 0,5. They had 1 shot on target all game.

People tend to overreact although our midfield and defense did really well that game.
This is my point really. I’m sure many fans feel this way due to natural bias but it does look like United miss plenty of very simple chances whilst conceding goals despite facing minimal chances.

Take the Leicester game as a prime example. We create four very good chances (Rashford x 3 and Bruno). We score twice.

How many “good” chances did Leicester create? I would argue none. The Barnes shot is hardly a “good” chance and whilst the cross and movement were very good for Vardy’s goal, it needed a massive slice of luck to end up in the net.

I accept this is just my opinion but I personally am looking at De Gea. It’s often said a top keeper earns you 12-15pts and more than ever this season, I understand that after previously thinking it was hyperbole. It’s not that De Gea is making howlers this season, he’s just performing like an average GK. A top GK saves the Barnes shot and we probably win that game.

Likewise Southampton. A top GK saves the Ward Prowse free kick. OK, we won the game, but it gave us a mountain to climb. You could even look at Henderson. The Sheff Utd game - catastrophic error and we’re 0-1 down, chasing the game again.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 66% of 272 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw