FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Leicester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 March 2021

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Good post. Don't leave the forum, there are some of us left who thinks like this, albeit we do seem to be in the minority.

I've highlighted before that there is little point comparing this Man Utd with the Utd of the 90s or the 00s without understanding the periods of transition that those sides had to go through and that the current side is going through now.

I imagine if this forum had been around in the late 80s, fans would have been almost unanimous in their desire to get rid of SAF. What most of the new crowd fail to realise is that by any modern definition of 'progress', SAF would have been kicked out the door on at least two/three occasions. People seem to think it was all linear progress. Far from it. SAF finished 11th in his 3rd season at the club. Just imagine that for a second! Imagine Ole finishing 11th this season! We'd have to close this site! We then followed that up the following season by getting beaten 1-5 by Man City and going 7 games without a win. Again, just imagine that now! It would be another three season before we lifted a league title, it's inconceivable a modern manager would have been given the chance to turn it around these days.

Likewise, when Roman Abrahamovic first came onto the scene at Chelsea, United were struggling big time. We had the likes of Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Roy Carroll and David Bellion playing fairly frequently. We had Roy Keane partnering Laurent Blanc at CB at times. We had Phil Neville and John O'Shea playing together in CM...I mean...just imagine the levels of meltdown on here now!

I actually think we are well-ahead of what I would consider to be the base criteria for keeping Ole in a job. I don't even think it's a debate. Ole has surpassed every single one of my expectations.
That's where the desire to quit stems from. This is never going to be that forum anymore where people can be patient enough to allow something to simply take shape. Fans just don't seem to think that way anymore.

Its getting more and more tiresome to find the posts by people whose opinions I want to read. I don't even care if people criticise or offer the exact opposite view from mine as long as they've thought it through rather than just angrily punched in words. Seeing the reaction on here after beating Milan actually gave me the hump, after a good night for the team.

I agree with your last point completely.

He'sRaldo

That's where the desire to quit stems from. This is never going to be that forum anymore where people can be patient enough to allow something to simply take shape. Fans just don't seem to think that way anymore.

Its getting more and more tiresome to find the posts by people whose opinions I want to read. I don't even care if people criticise or offer the exact opposite view from mine as long as they've thought it through rather than just angrily punched in words. Seeing the reaction on here after beating Milan actually gave me the hump, after a good night for the team.

I agree with your last point completely.
From my experience the only thing that can bring the forum to the place you want it to be is success. Think of all the good runs we've had under different managers post SAF, the place was always buzzing and much more lighthearted than during the more dour runs.

If you think of it that way, the people you disagree with ultimately want the same thing as you, but simply don't think we're on the right track for it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
From my experience the only thing that can bring the forum to the place you want it to be is success. Think of all the good runs we've had under different managers post SAF, the place was always buzzing and much more lighthearted than during the more dour runs.

If you think of it that way, the people you disagree with ultimately want the same thing as you, but simply don't think we're on the right track for it.
Its not the only thing. People could also just man the feck up, get behind the team and save the meltdowns for when something truly terrible happens, or better still not have meltdowns at all

Food for thought

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Leicester had multiple players out.
They had a week off. We had 72hrs. Choices had to be made.

Regardless, if silverware was the objective with our limited resources, Europa is the better option. We just don't have a viable alternative to a Bruno at the moment.

AFC NimbleThumb

As an outsider (see username: the man's first touch was legitimately atrocious, but he, like, tried really hard. And I loved that. I created a redcafe account because if I ever get enough posts/points/whatever, I can finally go in the Redafe "movie review thread" and tell them how they're some of the most brilliant & funny posters on the internet after lurking for years, that thread is pure gold. So, yes, you're talking to a crazy person- and knowing is half the battle) I'll offer my 2 cents on what "accepting mediocrity" means.

It is not that long ago that I and many others viewed Manchester United as some combination of the Death Star, Darth Vader (with helmet on), Rocky Balboa and the Terminator. Your club might have been down in matches but was never out, you won everything in sight, you could throw out 3 janitors in midfield and a roll of duct tape in defense and win 2-0. Sir Alex was a once in a lifetime manager, sure, but...there was an aura about United that surely extended beyond one man.

It's, what, less than a decade later? And your manager says cups are for the ego and is seen smiling and chortling and offering any excuse under the sun after every manner of defeat. I'm not just reacting to the FA Cup exit; this is something that has gone on for a long time. You've gone from outdated managers who set out to win things but were a bit past it, to a manager who is very happy to be there and be part of it all, who won't take the managers parking spot, a manager whose crowning career achievement was in Norwegian league 8 years ago.

Frankly, I'd much rather be fearful of you lot than watching a procession of plastic clubs and sports washing ventures proceed to dominate the landscape. I almost long for the days of being fearful of you lot. Instead I feel a bit of pity, because it all seems to start and end with your bloodsucking American owners and bullshit businessmen masquerading as football men. I feel that your owners and club hierarchy have been crystal clear with you the supporters on their expectations; Money=good, expectations of winning things=BAD. That's the Glazer reign in a nutshell for me. And I think they've found the perfect foil in Ole Gunnar Smilefactory, a good time fellow who will never, ever, ever rock the boat. He is happy to be there and they seem very happy to have him there.

Sorry to lose the thread; I was trying to summarize "accepting mediocrity". So Sir Alex retired, and you went from reasonably expecting to win the league at the start of every season, to now being locked in internecine wars about what the expectations should be, what anyone else could do with this squad, whether the players are fit for purpose, what kind of elite player in each position will bring out the best out of underperforming signings in that position, and on and on.

Every year United flame out of all cups, and a top 2 push is seen as real progress now, no matter the double digit distance to first. The aura is deader than dead. You're 2nd in the league yes, but with a budget that means you should be up there or thereabouts every year, and as soon as the games *might have mattered* you went on a desperate slide, only to beat City when things started to kinda not matter anymore. Similar to the green and gold scarves thing just sorta fading from sight, it is remarkable to me how many on here are just willing to say "well, who could he have rotated for Bruno" or whatever in lieu of actually asking that your manager manage well, and it's the same shit you'll be saying when Ole manages to crash out of the Europa League. Which I'd stake my nonexistent reputation on happening btw. You see, I watched your Champions League campaign this fall. And the semifinals last year. And the games in the league where the counter-attacking doesn't work. And..... All of this while the powers that be at your club are celebrating, ecstatic with the slide into mediocrity, because the dividends are rolling in nice and steady.

I think that's a bit of what your supporters mean when they talk about accepting mediocrity. Give Ole more time, give him more signings, sign Sancho, whatever, you'll be back here next season, trying to talk yourself into a 3rd place finish as progress because...reasons. Something is rotten in Denmark and it's plain to see; Manchester United has become a club designed to make money, winning things is beside the point. I think the supporters amongst you deserve better than being owned by 'mike ashley, but with a better PR team and far deeper pockets, because there are so so so many of you to milk'. Within 5 years I think the bantz will be something akin to "Lads......it's Manchester United."

And oddly enough, that bums me out.
Cheers. I guess where I disagree is in the belief there is a project. I see a lot of money being spent to satisfy the voyeurs and to me that money is being spent to accomplish what is required; top 4, and the attendant money. I also disagree that this, the present, could be seen as progress- this team was not cheap to assemble, it’s full of talented players, some more flawed than others, some perhaps less committed than others, so no different than most clubs in world football I’d say in that regard, but to hear it talked about as this group of plucky ahead of their timers....that doesn’t make sense to me. I guess what I’m getting at is it’s not so much if City signed Haaland well there goes the neighborhood for a decade, it’s the belief in my gut that if United signed Haaland....he wouldn’t achieve much under the current setup.

Thanks for replying, good chat
An outstanding set of posts; I usually time out on a wall of paragraphs but your points rang so true I kept on reading.

For a non-United supporter to be so reasoned in their analysis is rare.

Brilliant posts.

AFC NimbleThumb

Its not the only thing. People could also just man the feck up, get behind the team and save the meltdowns for when something truly terrible happens, or better still not have meltdowns at all

Food for thought
What is getting behind the team to you? Also, what in the 2021 is manning ‘the feck up’?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Food for thought
Amidst calls for level headedness that's a really odd thing to blurt out.

Gazza

Talk about quitting the forum because you don’t like everything you read. Talk about how people need to “man up” in the next post. Huh.

Interval

Level
As an outsider (see username: the man's first touch was legitimately atrocious, but he, like, tried really hard. And I loved that. I created a redcafe account because if I ever get enough posts/points/whatever, I can finally go in the Redafe "movie review thread" and tell them how they're some of the most brilliant & funny posters on the internet after lurking for years, that thread is pure gold. So, yes, you're talking to a crazy person- and knowing is half the battle) I'll offer my 2 cents on what "accepting mediocrity" means.

It is not that long ago that I and many others viewed Manchester United as some combination of the Death Star, Darth Vader (with helmet on), Rocky Balboa and the Terminator. Your club might have been down in matches but was never out, you won everything in sight, you could throw out 3 janitors in midfield and a roll of duct tape in defense and win 2-0. Sir Alex was a once in a lifetime manager, sure, but...there was an aura about United that surely extended beyond one man.

It's, what, less than a decade later? And your manager says cups are for the ego and is seen smiling and chortling and offering any excuse under the sun after every manner of defeat. I'm not just reacting to the FA Cup exit; this is something that has gone on for a long time. You've gone from outdated managers who set out to win things but were a bit past it, to a manager who is very happy to be there and be part of it all, who won't take the managers parking spot, a manager whose crowning career achievement was in Norwegian league 8 years ago.

Frankly, I'd much rather be fearful of you lot than watching a procession of plastic clubs and sports washing ventures proceed to dominate the landscape. I almost long for the days of being fearful of you lot. Instead I feel a bit of pity, because it all seems to start and end with your bloodsucking American owners and bullshit businessmen masquerading as football men. I feel that your owners and club hierarchy have been crystal clear with you the supporters on their expectations; Money=good, expectations of winning things=BAD. That's the Glazer reign in a nutshell for me. And I think they've found the perfect foil in Ole Gunnar Smilefactory, a good time fellow who will never, ever, ever rock the boat. He is happy to be there and they seem very happy to have him there.

Sorry to lose the thread; I was trying to summarize "accepting mediocrity". So Sir Alex retired, and you went from reasonably expecting to win the league at the start of every season, to now being locked in internecine wars about what the expectations should be, what anyone else could do with this squad, whether the players are fit for purpose, what kind of elite player in each position will bring out the best out of underperforming signings in that position, and on and on.

Every year United flame out of all cups, and a top 2 push is seen as real progress now, no matter the double digit distance to first. The aura is deader than dead. You're 2nd in the league yes, but with a budget that means you should be up there or thereabouts every year, and as soon as the games *might have mattered* you went on a desperate slide, only to beat City when things started to kinda not matter anymore. Similar to the green and gold scarves thing just sorta fading from sight, it is remarkable to me how many on here are just willing to say "well, who could he have rotated for Bruno" or whatever in lieu of actually asking that your manager manage well, and it's the same shit you'll be saying when Ole manages to crash out of the Europa League. Which I'd stake my nonexistent reputation on happening btw. You see, I watched your Champions League campaign this fall. And the semifinals last year. And the games in the league where the counter-attacking doesn't work. And..... All of this while the powers that be at your club are celebrating, ecstatic with the slide into mediocrity, because the dividends are rolling in nice and steady.

I think that's a bit of what your supporters mean when they talk about accepting mediocrity. Give Ole more time, give him more signings, sign Sancho, whatever, you'll be back here next season, trying to talk yourself into a 3rd place finish as progress because...reasons. Something is rotten in Denmark and it's plain to see; Manchester United has become a club designed to make money, winning things is beside the point. I think the supporters amongst you deserve better than being owned by 'mike ashley, but with a better PR team and far deeper pockets, because there are so so so many of you to milk'. Within 5 years I think the bantz will be something akin to "Lads......it's Manchester United."

And oddly enough, that bums me out.
Bravo! Discussing specifics of each match misses the trees for the forest that is the expectation of "progress" in step sizes that will ensure we dominate the landscape when our galaxy collides with the next one

AFC NimbleThumb

14 pages worth when we lose, half that when we win. Ah well.
For context, the last few pages are in response to a poster that has to be talked off the e-ledge cause he was close to leaving but has now told everyone to ‘man the feck up’. . . Ah well indeed.

Moriarty

RIP Frank Worthington
Another good 'un gone. Saw him play against us many times. He almost signed for Shankly's Liverpool but at the medical, they found out he had high blood pressure. The story goes that he went to Spain for a rest to see if that would help but it was even worse when he returned and the deal fell through. One of football's entertainers. RIP.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
They have been very few times it has happened.

I refuse to include the shocking results of our first 5 league games in the mix because we hadn't had a pre season and we were woefully match unfit.
Well, I think you'll find rules do include them - but, hey, let's not count any of City's victories and we're top of the league!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
City got thrashed 5-1 at home by Leicester in that same period. So Im not sure what "victories" you are talking about.
well you don't want to take United's start into account - so maybe not take any of City's wins all season into account either. My point - given that you seemed to have missed it - is you can't just ignore about United's first few games

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
well you don't want to take United's start into account - so maybe not take any of City's wins all season into account either. My point - given that you seemed to have missed it - is you can't just ignore about United's first few games
you don't have a point. You are just shooting yourself in the foot because it's YOU that doesn't get it.

That is why you came up with the silly quip about "City victories" Like their early season form is why they over took us. Further proof you plain just don't get it.

The poor early season results of United were a direct consequence of no pre season. Not coaching. United are ALSO not the only team that suffered the exact same thing. Manchester City did. Others in Europe did too. I'm not just ignoring them on a whim.

Pablo76

Proof, as I’ve mentioned on here in the past, that the general consensus on here couldn’t be further than that of your average match going fan.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
you don't have a point. You are just shooting yourself in the foot because it's YOU that doesn't get it.

That is why you came up with the silly quip about "City victories" Like their early season form is why they over took us. Further proof you plain just don't get it.

The poor early season results of United were a direct consequence of no pre season. Not coaching. United are ALSO not the only team that suffered the exact same thing. Manchester City did. Others in Europe did too. I'm not just ignoring them on a whim.
so has the Premier League ignored them?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd