FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Leicester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 March 2021

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Simply down to coaching. He is just simply not good enough, bar individual performances. Zero tactical acumen, questionable subs (ALWAYS like for like), no in game tactical changes, cannot inspire confidence, zero player management. The club will continue to wallow in mediocrity with him at the helm.
Quite right.

RedIan

Really poor team selection.
Regardless of how Bruno plays we lack energy and drive without him in the team.

Fred had A COMPLETE nightmare, when he wasnt giving the ball away to set up a Leicester attack he was screwing up our attacks.

DVB hardly had a kick which seems standard for him. May as well sell him.

Pogba looked knackered, he should have come on later for impact.

Martial pretty anonymous too.

we looked lethargic disinterested and fully deserved to get beaten by a lively Leicester hard working team.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don’t mind losing - it’s a tough game on the back of Thursday. To lose it like that is a fecking shambles though. Very reminiscent of the Chelsea semi-final last year where we seemed like we just couldn’t be arsed. Starting an absolutely finished Matic alongside a half fit Martial, Donny and Pogba was mind boggling. Zero energy and for large parts of the game I had no idea who was playing where.

OmarUnited4ever

Must admit, Liecester played very well today, especially in the 2nd half, although we played terribly, doesn't take away anything from their deserved win.

On the other side, we were just not interested today, not at all.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Absolute shocker. We don't have a midfield anymore. How did that happen? Donny, Fred, McTom, Matic, Bruno, they've all forgotten how to play football at the same time. That was a tough watch.

Ekeke

Also another difference is Leicester actually using their players in their ideal positions. For example Tielemans and Ndidi are in their perfect positions. And they played the two younger but more talented CBs Soyuncu and Fofana on the sides of a back 3, with the experience of Evans between them. Then they had Albrighton a former winger playing RWB and Casagne another attacking fullback playing left wingback where hes comfortable. And they put Iheanacho in his proper position as a real striker which hasnt always been the case. Maybe Perez is the one who isnt in his ideal position but hed be the only one.

Whereas with United I dont believe Fred, Pogba or VDB started the games in their ideal positions. For me Fred is built for left of a diamond where he can go running mad covering the ground up the side. Pogba wants to come short and start moves rather than finish them so you'd want him in his CM position not on the left ideally. And VDB hasnt been involved enough when hes played AM for us. He's done better in Fred's DM position.

Devil may care

Horrible watch, we were garbage, an ex City cnut scored 2 goals, that cringe merchant Rodgers on the touchline and Jenas lapping at various Leicester players balls on commentary, awful stuff. Anyone thinking our midfield can go on like this is nuts.

Longshanks

Bad game, the starting midfield was poor matic, fred and van de beek were all awful pogba had one of his meh days aswell.

When the subs were made we got on the ball and looked like we could create some chances to equalise only to get sucker punched by the old favourite soft set piece goal.

Our brutal schedule and injuries caught up with us today much like when we got knocked out of the cup last year against a much better rested chelsea.

Lentwood

Those goals weren't the team being out played though. Maguire and Fred for the first, Fred and Matic for the second, and McTominay half jumping and marking no one.
All of those small mistakes are the result of the players being mentally and physically tired

We likely won't have trained since the Milan game and I doubt if the players got to sleep before 3/4am Friday morning

Look at the stats, European away have a HUGE impact on results at the weekend

SemiPro

We’re always this poor when we don’t play our best XI. We just don’t have enough quality players to be able to rotate.

We end up relying on the same players and they’re starting to look exhausted.

wolvored

Load of shit. No one made an effort and all were piss poor. Let's see the ole can do no wrong brigade explain this

Martial

Our squad depth is terrible.

Van de Beek is like playing with 10 men.

Our terrible summer window is coming back to bite us.

Chairman Steve

I'm very disappointed with that performance. No idea why he rotated so much. Fred and Martial were complete shite

I'm so glad after this international break, the scheduling becomes a bit more sane. Within this week, we've played the 5th best team in England at home, then played 2nd best Italian team in Italy on Thursday and then the 3rd best English team (away again) on Sunday. I'll take winning 2 out of those 3. Even when we had SAF in charge we had insane weeks like that and it was inevitable we wouldn't win all of them. Back in 2008, I think we had Barcelona in the Nou Camp in a first leg CL semi final and then fecking Chelsea in London few days later for a crucial league game. Didn't win either them.

I'd rather have stayed in Europe than be in the FA Cup and I'd have definitely said win the fecking league game as top priority.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

Ill give mctominay some slack as he got up pretty high and the ball in was perfect.. matic and fred though.. terrible
His jump height wasn’t the problem though, the fact that he couldn’t track a smaller man literally just standing behind him was. Iheanacho for that goal did what any Sunday league striker would do; stay at the back post. What McT did wasn’t even of that level.

Pughnichi

Sick to death of playing 2 ‘runners’ in midfield with pathetic passing, zero creativity and low technique.

If we’re not being tortured with McFred we have instead to look forward to Matic coming in to replace either one of them.

awful game all round. At least Greenwood got a goal.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
One game too many. The team are dead on their feet.

Leicester have some excellent players that would walk into our line up.

yamo123x

Hard to stomach.

Cannot believe how many times we gave away possession.

I really dont see a style of play,.I don't see any attacking intent...and the squad is lacking quality and fight.

I don't see progress.under Ole, we are getting dross more often than not.

RashyForPM

The only positive I can take from tonight is that Pellistri looked sharper in a 5 minute spell against the Spanish league leaders than any of our players in the whole game.

predator

Youth NITK
A real anti climax after Thursday. Not sure why we are so bad at times. I am behind Ole and hope he succeeds here but we are seeing too many of these dire performances.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It's acceptable because that's where we are as team. They're a good side, in some areas better than us. So this kind of performance and result is very feasible. I personally can't be outraged as I half expect it.

It won't change until we get some passers in the team and bring an end to a few others.
This is what I can’t take. We have far better players than Leicester City. We are downgrading players like Martial and Fred in our minds because they are playing terrible football under a poor coach.

We have a far better first team than Leicester and a vastly superior squad.

This undervaluing of the squad to protect the manager needs to stop. Standards need to return to the club.

Irwin99

Leicester fully deserved the win and if Vardy had been on form we might have been in even more trouble.

Been a long season but with Southampton in the next game you can't help but feel this was a chance at half time. Oh well. Top 4 takes priority.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
We had no idea how to break through and get at them. We looked pedestrian and clueless. We never really did anything of note all game apart from the goal. For an FA Cup QF the level of effort and desire was shocking.

Will Singh

We set up to lose from the start, all those fecking games where we could have rested Bruno but didn’t and now it’s the business end of the season Ole decides he needs a rest. We got raped in midfield, Fred and Matic should be made illegal, both of them shouldn’t be starting next season. Ole has a lot to answer for and this defeat is on him. He’s comments about trophies midweek look to me that filtered through to the players. VDB can get out of Manchester he’s just complete shit and done feck all.
If we lose Pogba in the summer then we are fecked!

Cpt Negative

I'm very disappointed with that performance. No idea why he rotated so much. Fred and Martial were complete shite

I'm so glad after this international break, the scheduling becomes a bit more sane. Within this week, we've played the 5th best team in England at home, then played 2nd best Italian team in Italy on Thursday and then the 3rd best English away again on Sunday. I'll take winning 2 out of those 3. Even when we had SAF in charge we had insane weeks like that and it was inevitable we wouldn't win them. Think we had Barcelona in the Nou Camp in a first leg semi and then fecking Chelsea in London few days later. Didn't win either them.

I'd rather have stayed in Europe than be in the FA Cup and I'd have definitely said win the fecking league game as top priority.
I’d rather win the FA cup in the current scenario. Only reason teams take the EL seriously is because of the CL prize at the end. Finishing 2nd and winning or not winning the EL is the same...

R'hllor

Who cares, its just a FA cup, this place was ok with lost game vs City, pre Milan matches you could see posts how we should focus on PL and feck EL. CL is where honey is, now us not being able to pass initial group is different matter.

Winning and being a winner is only important if you are that prick that coaches PSG.

Get In Scholesy

As others have mentioned, we absolutely do not have the squad to compete on various fronts. The drop off between our best XI to our subs is massive. Even in our best XI we have players who should be squad level at best.

This is why I always felt we should prioritize the league. However I can understand the frustration of getting to quarter or semi finals and losing. I feel like we play the cups as formalities and maybe we can fluke our way into trophy.

We have much work to do with our squad.

Anyways, today was an example of our lack of depth, we made 4 subs at once and it still wasn’t good enough to turn things around.

Leicester deserved it in all honesty. Let’s hope we come back healthy from the international break.

IncyWincySpider

Lots of silly mistakes and poor performances all around. Really disappointed for Fred who had a shocker and almost seemed to be trying too hard to actually get anything right.

I really expected more from everyone today after our run of decent results. If Leicester overtake is in the league as well it will be gutting.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Complete rubbish. Fred was indescribably bad, Matic awful, Maguire shaky, vdB invisible, Martial pathetic.

The disparity between rest periods is a factor, but honestly that was hideous more or less from start to finish. We were bossed all over the park by a better-drilled, harder-working, better-motivated set of players. We looked like we tried to match them up playing quite narrow but ended up isolating a disinterested Martial while Pogba fought a forlorn battle trying to make the midfield work next to the lesser-spotted Donny and two fecking lampposts in Matic and Fred.

I'm worried by the way we seem to fold in these big moments in cup competitions. We can moan about tiredness all day but all other teams are playing plenty of matches, while we are brushed aside by seemingly every decent side we face in knockout football. Just diabolical today.

Is Lineker a Leicester fan by the way? Hadn't heard, the fecking cock :mad:

Dookingham United

We deserved to go out.
Because of how we are run our foundations are rotten, completely falling apart. Most of our players play for a payday. Nobody can pass. Honestly I have seen 10 fat blokes on a 5 a side after a year of lockdown pass better and show more bravery and heart.
What is going on at our club??

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Don't think one person comes out with any praise... a couple were "ok" at best.

You can see why Ole rarely trusts his squad players because the drop off is huge. But today was his team and I had no idea what our formation or tactics were.

The players. The lack of effort (the bare minimum a professional sportsperson should put in) was shit. I'll pick on Martial (don't like him) but could use loads... he has the talent of Iheanacho but doesn't run, doesn't offer himself, doesn't chase back, shrugs.

DvdB has talent but marked grass all game. Given rare chance (probably could have been more involved this season but maybe Ole sees something) but scared of the ball ... one dummy does not a good player make.

Maguire, captain?!! Stop passing the ball across the back line you tool.

We won hardly anything pre Fergie, the odd FACup but I guarantee every one of the 70s/80s team put in more effort than most of this team. They're pampered, mentally weak, terrible attitude. I'd rather have 7/10 talent and 100% effort.

That performance has been coming. Leicester were ok and Rodgers gets the most out of his teams but Lineker and Shearer (knows feck all) can do one because they weren't brilliant.. we were shit today and made them look good.

We have to get as many as we can out of a CH, holding mid, forward and winger. 2 of the first 3 (if top class) would transform this team, especially if they have a top, winning attitude.

All that money spent is useless if not spent on the 'right' type of player .. they have an ancient Evans, Soyuncu, Albrighton, etc and we make them look like 90s Milan.

Hope Ole screams at them... and acknowledges that he fecked up massively too.

zenith

Don't really care about the FA cup

We can loose a game once in a while. Clearly our opponent was well rested and up for it. Don't think people should be reading too much into it. Especially given that 2 of our best players were not in the game.

Bertie Wooster

Completely gutted by that. And fuming.

I'm absolutely fed up of this stupid modern thinking of resting players for cup games and being happy to throw away the chances of winning trophies.

Southampton waiting in the S/ F - a great chance to get to a final - and we put in a shit performance with our two player of the year candidates on the bloody bench.

I'll never understand the 'later stages of cups are still less important than any one of the 38 league games' mentality.

I'm bloody fuming that we didn't give it our all. Another chance of a trophy voluntarily thrown away. We damn well better take all the remaining Europa League games seriously.

90 + 5min

Yep. Typical. Always individual mistakes costing us. But then you criticise anyone for saying individual brilliance wins us games.

So not on Ole at all? Thought not.
So you mean it is on Solskjaer that Fred makes that pass or McTominay don't jump in right way. Ok.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd