FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Leicester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 March 2021

IrishRedDevil

The draw at halftime was bizarre. It went in our favour though, avoiding City and Chelsea...

Then knowing Southampton was the Semi Final game and going out to lose the second half 2-0 without showing any fight, has me furious!

This team will not win trophies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Seriously; why to rest two best players in this game? We had some games in league where you can do it. But not in a win or bust game. Bottle job

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
We were so good in the second half, glad we didnt let our foot of the gas the second time we took the lead, like at 1-0.

ajay1002

Gifted Leicester all three goals, although they were much better than Utd. I'll give them benefit of the doubt on this occasion as they did play Thursday evening while Leicester have had a week off, so you can sort of understand the changes to the starting 11 even with the international break coming up.

Saying that, I'd love to have Tielemens, Ndidi and Fofana at Utd. Can add Rodgers to that too.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Maguire: absolutely fecking awful. Matic: absolutely fecking awful. Martial: absolutely fecking awful. there's the supposed spine of the team today. Not one player deserved a score of much more than three out of 10.

Manager: absolutely fecking awful. Coaching: absolutely fecking awful.

Made the first half in Milan look like the semi final in Turin in 1999. If this is progress, well, someone's facing the wrong fecking direction. Club signaled their intent with those appointments last week...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I doubt they had any idea.

Truckham

Think some in here are being harsh on the players. We have a very strong starting XI compared to other PL teams. The problem is in our squad depth.
Leicester had much more time to rest and were tactically superior today. Would starting Fernandes have made a difference? No, Fred would still have played and we had huge problems playing out from the back today.
Still think that, if we get rid of Martial, Cavani and Matic, and get Haaland (and promote Hugill!) and Rice in, we will definitely start winning trophies again- even with Ole. Though I like Lindelof and Maguire they often need more protection in front of them when we’re playing higher up the pitch, which is still a worry.

dave1956

Continous mistakes in team selection, and players making the same mistakes time and again. How many goals have we conceded this season where a player picks up the ball drives through our mid field, our central defenders are either out of position and not supporting each other, we back off no one goes towards the ball and eventually there is a free shot. Corners and free kicks, again ball to the far post and it's in the back of the net.
Why are our coaching staff not getting onto of these problems and addressing them on the training field. Manager, starts with in my opinion a less effective team than he could have done, should have with the break coming up played his strongest side. All in all poor all round and more questions to be asked about this team's mental attitude and our coaching staffs ability to take the club forward.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So he needs to spend around 200m to get the team he wants. In a covid hit summer transfer window, good luck with that mate. Also if any team with a top coach challenges us for players they might not think Ole is the best option for their career. I am sure City were pulling our leg over Fred. We got taken for a ride there, there are better footballers on the beaches in Brazil.

Chairman Steve

I predicted in the matchday thread that if we drew City, then we'd end up winning the game and drawing Soton would mean we'd lose the game.

But I'm going to say one game too many and trying to be too clever with rotation as the reasons why we're out. Big nose Brenny had a nice week off to prepare for us while we were in the San Siro grinding it out against the 2nd best team in Italy

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ole and the players avoiding any post match interviews?
What are they going to add that we don’t know?
“We were shit and not as fantas tick as we normally are. Fred was shite and not fantas tick”

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So he needs to spend around 200m to get the team he wants. In a covid hit summer transfer window, good luck with that mate. Also if any team with a top coach challenges us for players they might not think Ole is the best option for their career. I am sure City were pulling our leg over Fred. We got taken for a ride there, there are better footballers on the beaches in Brazil.
There are better footballers in our U23s. You don’t have to go as far as Brazil. He’s a liability and all the opposition know it.

Red_Aaron

Leicester had a week to prepare whilst we barely had 2 days

The difference today was energy levels nothing else (despite the predictable histrionics of the usual morons on this site) we were slow in possession, weak in the tackle and almost every pass was off target.
Tired, lethargic, sluggish call it what you want, Leicester were able to run all over us.

Oles options to freshen the side was 3 players coming off injuries plus telles and matic. Maybe he could've started cavani but he too was recently injured. We should've been smarter of course, dug in used our experience to make it a scrappy game and concentrate on denying them space but we took them on instead and let's be honest if we had played negatively he'd have only got hammered by the usual fans

I'm as frustrated as anyone to go out the cup but this is a result of competing on multiple fronts made worse by the covid enforced attempts to squeeze an entire season in to an even shorter amount of time

Mr.Kaya

Awful performance and result obviously. Maguire, Matic, VdB and Fred had such a weak performance.

passing-wind

Ole has more chance at winning the league as opposed to a cup competition. The reason is we don't impose ourselves as a team throughout 90 mins. You've got no chance in knockout stages with the way the team plays. Given that we are miles off the league (coaching wise) we are even further off amassing cup success.

Smores

We got beat by a weaker team that are frankly much better coached than us.

Shit happens losing a one of game against weaker teams is just football. Not really a one off these days though is it?

The usual 'good' supporters out bashing all our players to defend their manager though and making excuses like good little boys.

cyberman

They wouldn't have had a clue. We could have been 3-1 down before the draw was made ffs

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I know our bench look thick, but I’m sure they knew what the outcome of the draw was, considering it happened in the stadium.
They may have known by FT, but I doubt they were aware of the draw happening at HT. It seemed to catch everyone by surprise and was very unusual. None of them will have been anywhere near their phones.

RedRJ

Leicester played really well, fair play to them. We looked leggy, and the drop off in quality when we make changes is obvious. We'd probably have more chance in the Europa league than the FA cup given whose left. We still have a lot of work to do to improve the squad it seems. I was really impressed with Greenwood, though. Took his goal well and looked top class I thought. Pogba did well too, hopefully he keeps stepping up as he gets his fitness back.
Completely agree. I’d also say that, although I really want VDB to succeed, I just can’t see it happening. Every time he gets the ball he just passes it back to a defender; Bruno can be frustrating when he tries really difficult passes, but he never stops trying. VDB needs to raise his fame several notches to become a regular starter. Oh and Fred/ Matic - hilariously bad.

Strats

I predicted in the matchday thread that if we drew City, then we'd end up winning the game and drawing Soton would mean we'd lose the game.

But I'm going to say one game too many and trying to be too clever with rotation as the reasons why we're out. Big nose Brenny had a nice week off to prepare for us while we were in the San Siro grinding it out.
Not an excuse imo, a Man United team should be able to perform twice a week.

What we saw today was shambles.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I expect a lot of knee jerk reactions to that. Tired, rotated squad. We just played Thursday. International break at the right time. Leicester were great. Our squad depth isn’t there yet, and you can see why Ole hesitates to rotate beyond his core 13-14 players.

Oh well. Move on. We still have 2nd to play for, and the EL, which we have a real chance of winning. Got to pick your head up and go on, and come back stronger.

cyberman

Ole has more chance at winning the league as opposed to a cup competition. The reason is we don't impose ourselves as a team throughout 90 mins. You've got no chance in knockout stages with the way the team plays. Given that we are miles off the league (coaching wise) we are even further off amassing cup success.
Who has a better cup record than Ole? We consistently win cup games!

largelyworried

This is Ole’s United. Better than the last guy, better than it's been since SAF, but the team is missing the last 5% that's needed to turn it into serial winners and I don't think Ole can give it to us. Leicester are a good team with a rest behind them, but beating good teams under those conditions is what you need to be the best. Under Ole we won't be the best, we'll be near the head of the chasing pack. That's an improvement, but eventually something will have to give if we want to be at the top.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I see the mods have closed the Ole Out thread. Is the caf run by his mum? :wenger:

Irwin99

That was probably the most frustrating thing- drawing one of City/Chelsea in the semi finals and then playing one of them in the final would be a tough couple of games to win a trophy. Getting the draw we got was a much safer route.

Europa League is still very winnable though.

SirScholes

I wouldn't say 'completely different level' but Leicester are, all things considered, a more well-rounded side than us at the moment. We may have better individual talents but as a team Leicester are better, definitely.
They just set up perfectly to play us, they played a more settled team and we made silly changes which made stupid mistakes
Throwing VDB in a game like this was beyond harsh

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There are better footballers in our U23s. You don’t have to go as far as Brazil. He’s a liability and all the opposition know it.
He has been involved with us losing two vital games because the manager just seems to think the sun shines out of his backside. He can't pass, he can't tackle and he can't shoot. Which is all the attributes you want from a midfielder.

VivaRonaldo85

Leicester thoroughly deserved the win. 3-1 was complimentary to us in fact. They looked well drilled, up for the fight, fresh and well organised. We looked opposite to those words in all areas, much like we’d just given our all to win in the san siro on Thursday night and this was one game too far. Desperately disappointing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I expect a lot of knee jerk reactions to that. Tired, rotated squad. We just played Thursday. International break at the right time. Leicester were great. Our squad depth isn’t there yet, and you can see why Ole hesitates to rotate beyond his core 13-14 players.

Oh well. Move on. We still have 2nd to play for, and the EL, which we have a real chance of winning. Got to pick your head up and go on, and come back stronger.
won't beat Roma if we play like today. in fact, won't be Granada if we play like today

King Eric 7

We had no gas left in the tank. Plus, if Leicester also knew about the results of the draw that would have upped their motivation too.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Pathetic. Ole will probably be smiling. But game after game its the same shite even when we scrape a win. We are lucky we got Granada in the Europa or we would have no chance there either.
We were crap and deserve to be out but lucky we got Granada? Guessing we were lucky to get Sociedad and Milan too. We played poorly today but don't make it seem we are a bad team.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd