FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Leicester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 March 2021

sect2k

It's obvious, from miles away, that unlike us, Leicester are a well coached team. It pains me to say this, but Ole is not fit to lace Brandon's shoes.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We were already on the back foot with the lack of rest, and the fall off in quality once the first teamers are rested. Pogba being unfit, VDB having no match fitness and Fred gifting away a goal compounded issues.

But Ole had 5 subs to make and made zero impact on the game till we were 3-1 down with less than 30 minutes to go. We should have made better changes, should have made them earlier and attacked them with more intent.

The players let the team down, and the manager gave up without a fight. Leicester deserved to go through.

abailey123

I just don’t understand why Ole rotated so heavily when we’ve not got a game for 2 weeks.
Martial must be on very thin ice, he’s terrible!
Fred shocking
The only positive I can find from that game is Greenwood managed to get a goal!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This will go on for a few more years given we’ve invested so much in shite players. Even Fernandes who’s made a massive different to us is someone City wouldn’t look at.

Maguire, Lindelof, Fred, Pogba, AWBhow much money for average players.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Why did Ole make so many changes when we have no games coming up? No one gives a shite about international games just pick your best squad!

Pjisared

I await to hear what excuses Mr Cheap and Cheerfull has to say about that dross.

George the Cat

I don’t have Sky or BT Sports and the pubs are shut so don’t see many live United games on tv. That was so poor, Leicester looked a different class. I thought we’d win the FA cup this season, seems a Champs league place is what matters nowadays.

Red & White

Fully deserved win for Leicester. We were awful. Disappointing to come up short again in a cup competition, almost expecting it these days.

Banana Republic

At no time in that match were we in charge or on top of the game.

Everyone will pile in on Martial, Matic, Fred ( who was diabolical in the first half) and anyone else you care to mention, but the likes of Greenwood, AWB, DVdB have shown to be very poor all round.

Then there’s Ole and his coaching staff. As soon as Leicester went 2-1 up at the start of the 2nd half (52nd minute), Ole should have immediate changed it around and made his subs. But he didn’t react and waited another 12 minutes before he made the 4 changes, as the game was already running away from us.

Only one proper goal attempt in the whole of the 2nd half. Bruno’s free kick. Easily saved.

Wheato

Playing a tough game in Milan on Thursday night isn't great preparation for a quarter final. Even with a makeshift starting 11, we weren't up to the challenge.

Martial isn't a centre forward, and Greenwood isn't a winger.

We probably should have started with our strongest team, and then brought the subs on for the last half an hour.

Schmeichel=God

Worst performance over an entire 90 minutes in years.

Everyone...disgraceful.

Shape, football IQ, togetherness, leadership...DISGRACEFUL

simply embarrassing and the sort of game that should lead to a massive exodus.

We're not the team we once were and therefore cannot attract the level of talent we require. But it's obvious that Matic, Fred, Wan Bissaka, Martial, none are really our level. They restrict us immensely. Then you've got Maguire a CB, who cannot defend 1 on 1 who goes walkabout. VDB who is not in a club that will help his talents come through.

Today is a shocker on the level of Bilbao ages ago, Celta, Sevilla...just piss poor. Heads should be hung in shame.

RashyForPM

Leicester deserved it in every way. We were gutless. Matic, Fred and McT all exposed in that midfield, with all 3 at fault for at least one Leicester’s goals. Who’d have thought?

space

They wanted it much more and the quality of their football was excellent. Their midfield looked so comfortable on the ball.
Fred was atrocious, disgraceful performance. Martial was totally useless. Just such a bad performance my word

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
We are not a team who is coached how to play actual football.. we depend heavily on individual quality. When you take that quality out we get performances like today. When the players who are suppose to have quality show none. We have performances like that..

Theres alot of issues at united.. we have too many average players and a average coaching staff.. weve gotten great results this season because some of our guys are truly worldclass... but you can see how we are consistently out played even in games we win that the vast majority of our opponents are better coached and better prepared.

vidic blood & sand

I thought we’d lose this, because it’s a pattern we’re all used to now. It’s frustrating because we performed well to get to the quarters. For me Ole is not mentally strong enough to lead this team. When the players can’t be arsed, he does nothing at all to lift them. He can get us playing well, but doesn’t have the personality to drive us to grind out results. We won’t win anything because we're so inconsistent. We were more consistent with Ron Atkinson, cause at least we’d get to finals with Ron.

Marwood

How has this sort of performance become acceptable here? So many collapses and it’s just “ah well, let’s dust outselves down and go again”. So many times and so many excuses.

Occam’s Razor. The guy leading the team in these games isn’t good enough.

It’s time to get serious as a club again.
It's acceptable because that's where we are as team. They're a good side, in some areas better than us. So this kind of performance and result is very feasible. I personally can't be outraged as I half expect it.

It won't change until we get some passers in the team and bring an end to a few others.

Falcow

It was obvious which team didnt have a tough game away game in Milan 72 hours ago.

Infra-red

Goodbye away record.

Comprehensively outplayed by a better organised side. Out passed and out pressed.

always_hoping

BBC overplaying the Leicester performance. They were decent and fully deserved their win but let's be honest they basically fed off errors.

It was a catalogue of errors by United throughout, from the 1st goal Fred gifted to Leicester to the 3rd goal and the same issue all season, switching off from a set piece.

FA Cup adventure over for United now. The highlight was knocking Liverpool out. To make up for todays disappointment United need to finish the league season ahead of Leicester and beating them in Old Trafford in May will go a long way towards that.

Jezpeza

Never think playing Thursday Sunday is a good thing. Weird team selection, Individual mistakes, flat performance, martial was awful, fred and matic were awful. We’ve had a lot of players coming back from injury who arent fit and we have others out of form or tired. Stupid to stick to the game plan of playing out from the back. Total bucket of shit from us, playing a fresh leicester side in good form. Was only going one way

edgecutter

We were lucky it ended 3-1. I don't even think we had a shot on target after they went 2-1 up and that tells you all you need to know about this team and coaching, we haven't a scooby

elnorte

Freaky fly day
As always we play the most entertaining football in the league but lapses in concentration continue to be our undoing.

ReallyUSA

One team had had a week off and one had a gruelling game in Italy on Thursday evening and it showed.

Just forget it and move on.
Those goals weren't the team being out played though. Maguire and Fred for the first, Fred and Matic for the second, and McTominay half jumping and marking no one.

Betson

No complaints , no excuses , they are a better team than us and showed that today. We don't have enough players with the either the quality of right mentality that wins you trophies.

Kopral Jono

Not really
They just played better than us today
I wouldn't say 'completely different level' but Leicester are, all things considered, a more well-rounded side than us at the moment. We may have better individual talents but as a team Leicester are better, definitely.

siw2007

Better team won, we were really poor this afternoon. We had to make changes but the change in system really hurt us, there was very little cohesion out there, on top of that, some players were just poor like Fred, Martial and Maguire, though I could name a few more.

Just hope the international break has come at the right time for us and we can get it together when we come back.

baskinginthesun

Wrong time to have another Cup game after a pretty grueling performance on Thursday. Leicester just pressed us and the legs weren't there. Not surprised by the result.

eire-red

Matic and Fred are nowhere near the level required. You won't get near another quality side with a midfield that bad.

Our forwards were anonymous again, but you have to start to look at the midfield and our ability to build moves that they can eventually get on the end of.

The burden of creativity and scoring seems to fall on our forwards, we don't have enough quality sprinkled across the rest of the squad.

GazTheLegend

Not surprised we are out to be honest. Focus on the league and Europa League now please!

Tonight flattered Leicester a bit, I'm not convinced they did enough to score a goal let alone three, but I suppose they edged it. We will do better when we meet them in the league next.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Leicester deserved it in every way. We were gutless. Matic, Fred and McT all exposed in that midfield, with all 3 at fault for at least one Leicester’s goals. Who’d have thought?
Ill give mctominay some slack as he got up pretty high and the ball in was perfect.. matic and fred though.. terrible

TrueRed79

Totally deserved to lose that. Our bottom level defending is abysmal. Our midfield inept. Martial anonymous as usual.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Another lethargic, slow, zombie style game.

Our set piece defending is shite.
Our passing in transition is shite.
Our passing in general is shite.
Our attacking movement is shite.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win