FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Leicester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 March 2021

UpWithRivers

Yeah games are lost and that's football. Its the manor of the defeat and the repetitive mistakes and bad football that pisses people off. The mistakes are too numerous to count -
1) Its international break and somehow Ole thinks he shouldn't play his strongest team against Leicester.
2) He plays Fred and Matic against Ndidi and Teilemans - every single United fan would have told you how that would have gone
3) He played a diamond that was so obvious was not working after 10 mins but failed to correct it.
4) He replaced like for like subs and refused to remove Fred even though he had the worst game ever
5) And its not just Ole....Fred cant pass. Friggin pass! etc

And on and on. The thing is that its not isolated. It repetitive. The same mistakes over and over. The football is dire. We have no ability to control the midfield. We keep making horrendous mistakes and giving away the ball. Our 80 mill Captain just disappears when the going gets tough. And on and on.

Its so frigging frustrating!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Whether Haaland is gay or straight, he is at the right club - Dortmund. They have a good track record of developing young players.
We have a track record of destroying players and then selling them on.
it's meant to say "the guy"!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
and even if they did you think the priority is to announce it to the entire locker room?
if they think it gives them a boost - yes! remember when a certain ex Liverpool player heard a score and thought his lot only needed a draw for the side he managed to stay up. they drew, he couldn't add up and down they went

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Injury ravaged. Knocked out of the EL by Slavia Prague. Drop points to 15th placed Burnley a couple of games ago. We're not talking an impossible task. To be dominated by their severely weakened team was a complete embarrassment.
In fairness, we just didn’t look interested in the Slavia Prague games. I think of all the competitions we were left in, that was the one which we least valued.

The itch around Leicester is to win the FA Cup, as we hold the record for going to the most finals (4) without ever winning it.

Yesterday Leicester looked rested, that’s what we’re capable of with rest and I would say since we crashed out of Europe, the less games we’ve been playing has helped us with those higher energy levels.

I think you’ll win the Europa League and finish 2nd or 3rd in the league. Neither of us is a bad football team and had both teams had similar levels of rest and recuperation time, it would have been a lost closer yesterday and dare say I think you might have edged it.

I do think you have players with your squad now that need upgrading; and quite a few of this current Leicester squad would get into yours. You would not have said that whilst SAF was in charge.

Yes, we’ve improved and are now owned by Billionaires, however we’re fairly self sufficient. The standard isn’t up to expectations at Manchester United though.

Last edited:

RoyH1

You can win or lose these kinds of games and Leicester is a good team, but I'm gutted about how we played. Ole needs to get the lads to focus more.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You can win or lose these kinds of games and Leicester is a good team, but I'm gutted about how we played. Ole needs to get the lads to focus more.
but that's the trouble: Ole has now had well over two years and still can get them to focus

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
In fairness, we just didn’t look interested in the Slavia Prague games. I think of all the competitions we were left in, that was the one which we least valued.

The itch around Leicester is to win the FA Cup, as we hold the record for going to the most finals (4) without ever winning it.

Yesterday Leicester looked rested, that’s what we’re capable of with rest and I would say since we crashed out of Europe, the less games we’ve been playing has helped us with those higher energy levels.

I think you’ll win the Europa League and finish 2nd or 3rd in the league. Either of us is a bad football team and had both teams had similar levels of rest and recuperation time, it would have been a lost closer yesterday and dare say I think you might have edged it.

I do think you have players with your squad now that need upgrading and quite a few of this current Leicester squad would get into yours. You could have said that whilst SAF was in charge. Yes, we’ve improved and are now owned by Billionaires, however we’re fairly self sufficient. The standard isn’t up to expectations at Manchester United though.
Great post, thank you for putting it in perspective, think we’re very similar sides in terms of level (hence why we had a champions league play off recently and are separated by one point).

Hope you win the cup now! Good luck.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You don't say

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Do fans seriously think we can win the Europa League?
This is one of the hardest trophies to win and Ole has a 0% success rate of winning English and European trophies.
I think I stand more chance of winning the lottery than MUFC have of winning the EL. And I don't even buy lottery tickets!
Nobody has won a trophy until they win their first one. I do think we have a chance. We should be capable of beating Granada, but then Ajax is a different proposition, another team who are well coached. If he cannot get to this final then my already serious doubts about Ole will just increase. I can see he is trying to rebuild the squad, but I could not get resting players in a cup Q/F when he has had lots of previous games to rest players.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The guy who scored our only goal, really disappointed you. Really ?
Yes, he lost the ball a lot and generally thought he was pretty ineffective against their CBs. Also he's not been close to the levels he produced last season, so yeah, I am disappointed.
Correct. So why has Bruno been run into the ground whilst Ole's £40m VDB sits on the bench every week? No surprise he ends up with egg on his face when he has to bring him in out of the cold and hopes he can find a performance.
DVB was injured and also when he has played previously, he's really not proved that he's up to it. I think there's a case Ole hasn't integrated him well enough, but there's also some blame on VDB not being creative enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Please don't give our team that get out clause because I am sorry to say they don't deserve it one little bit, don't give a shit about the international break fixtures coming up either and all this tiredness BS
It's not a get out clause. I'm sure you can find my posts when the draw was made that I said I thought we'd lose, or the start of the post match thread where I expected us to lose. Tiredness BS? Really? So them having full weeks off between games for a few weeks leading up to it (and their last 2 games being Brighton and sheffield) isn't any sort of advantage over us playing Milan twice, City once and west ham once, along with the travel associated with it?

b20times

Bruno comes on at 1-2 and we go on to lose 1-3. De Bruyne comes on at 0-0 in their game and they win 0-2.
Yet Bruno is bigged up to be this worldbeater and isn't living up to his reputation, maybe it's having statues like Mcfred around him and he's doing the work of two men.
So annoyed with yesterday's result, what have we got to look forward to now? Nothing! Hoping City don't do the quadruple and looking at their results before ours is what the season has give us. Just the Europa league and it's only March. My blood is boiling.

Maticmaker

Like most United fans I could not believe Ole's initial selection for this game.
Shaw, McTominay, Hernandes and even Dan James, all missing, arguably three of these four players have been the most influential in our last few games.
Then another omen... Matic and Fred paired up...really Ole?

However we set off at a pace and for a few minutes looked like we could have the measure of Leicester, but then as usual somebody dials in the 'slow, slow...quick quick'.... slow ' button and we begin to fade. Then of course our 'villain of the piece' Fred, steps up and plays his party piece pass to the opposition.

One or two minutes of decent play gets us back in by half-time, Leicester scratching their heads wondering why they are not two or three up. Surely time for a change Ole, but no we carry on as before. When the second went in I disappeared into the kitchen, my turn to cook the Sunday dinner, never been more grateful to 'slave over a hot stove'.

Sorry Ole, but nobody will convince me that the FA Cup is not your least favourite comp! You send out the suicide squad at the semi final stage, last season and now at the quarter final stage, wtf!

POF

Can some Ole in fan please explain to me why he chose to rest Bruno yesterday but not in the Sociedad second leg
He had nobody else available for Sociedad. He had Donny & Pogba available yesterday.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Can some Ole in fan please explain to me why he chose to rest Bruno yesterday but not in the Sociedad second leg
If you paid any attention to the available squad at any given time you'd know the answer to this. So as a Manchester United fan: Pay attention to the club and not just the matchday results.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If you paid any attention to the available squad at any given time you'd know the answer to this. So as a Manchester United fan: Pay attention to the club and not just the matchday results.
He had nobody else available for Sociedad. He had Donny & Pogba available yesterday.
Nobody else available? Did we play without a bench?

Red & White

It did have the feel of one game too many for this squad and the coaches. It’s a shame, as it would have been brilliant to win the FA Cup. Two extra games wouldn’t have made much difference to the schedule so it’s a disappointing result. Fully deserved for Leicester but I wish we didn’t hand them all 3 goals with amateur levels of defending.

theklr

Like most United fans I could not believe Ole's initial selection for this game.
Shaw, McTominay, Hernandes and even Dan James, all missing, arguably three of these four players have been the most influential in our last few games.
Then another omen... Matic and Fred paired up...really Ole?
Only justifiable reason for not starting those would be that the physio's warned they are in the red zone and risk serious injuries if they play full 90.

And not enough rest impacted the rest of the team enough that they couldnt cover up the cracks Matic, Martial and VDB created. Ofcourse, they arent match fit at all, but still that was horrendous from them.

Its ironic because last year alot of us complained OGS didnt rotate enough in the cups or didnt do it properly , but now he rotates too much. He is really quirky sometimes.

As others said, we really dont have the squad to compete on all levels and given the circumstances im not all that fussed about this, but we REALLY need to win the EL cup an finish second now, or it wont be a good year.

Giggsy13

Such a snippy response to a fair question. Ole did not have to start Bruno against Sociedad and could’ve changed our formation and shape to rest Bruno. 5 at the back would’ve been just fine in a tie we had already won. That’s what a good manager does to help protect and preserve his best players.

His selections on Sunday were staggering and another chance wasted for a trophy. Whether you’re Ole In or Ole Out, you have to give a fair assessment of the manager. Ole failed on his part to put out the best team available before the break. It was massive failure all around.

Denis79

No he didn't obviously. He was quoted earlier as why he doesn't think Trophies at our stage of development doesn't mean a lot as it just papers of the crack. And he is obviously right, just look at Arsenal. And he doesn't mean Champions League or Premier League trophy when he said trophies.
I disagree as I believe that the confidence and experience gained from winning any trophy is important but I guess he said that to take off the pressure.

Denis79

Now now. Let's not start making up things. This was a winnable game. If we went with our normal starting XI, I think we win. We didn't create enough while making mistakes. They did well, even after Bruno and cavalry came in. But that's not down to being superior at home.
Yeah we might have won with our first team but we aren't good enough to make us big favorites against Leicester away. On paper we might look much better but in reality we're on par with them imo.

OleTheGreat

The Glazer family, Mr. Ed Woodward can shove their bottoms with ****** ! It is because of these guys that we haven't seen a decent squad in a while. I know I know some say that we have invested well and that we will reap the benefits in the future. Well, the future is now and I don't see an evolution from this squad whatsoever. In fact, I watch us get pegged back into our own half by so many teams and we struggle so badly to get out of our own half. We're just rubbish. The patterns we play are so easy to judge and we're so damn slow on the ball even a snail would catch up. I grunt so hard every time I watch Man United play and frankly it is getting on my nerves these days.

POF

Nobody else available? Did we play without a bench?
Bruno played 45 minutes and he was replaced by Rashford at half time. It was his way of limiting the game time of both when Van de Beek, Pogba and Mata (basically every other number 10 option at the club) were out injured.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Bruno played 45 minutes and he was replaced by Rashford at half time. It was his way of limiting the game time of both when Van de Beek, Pogba and Mata (basically every other number 10 option at the club) were out injured.
So he was replaced by a non number 10 player and rested 45 minutes. Now you might understand the frustration of those who say he could have been rested for the whole game.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
And play who?
Anyone on the bench ffs. Go to 5 at the back and play Shaw or Williams. Stick to our history of giving chances to young attacking players and play Diallo or Shoretire. Now to the second half of my question why not start bruno yesterday?

lex talionis

It’s perfectly reasonable for pent up frustrations to explode here after getting dumped out of a cup, but all of us here should Leicester City more respect than they’ve been given. They’re a well managed club and put in a nearly flawless performance against us. No, they’re not the next prime Barcelona but back to front it’s a very solid squad whose whole is greater greater than the sum of its parts.

There’s lots of room for criticism of our display (can’t be called a performance) and this is the caf so let’s have at it, but a few words in praise of Leicester is warranted from time to time.

Eugenius

I disagree as I believe that the confidence and experience gained from winning any trophy is important but I guess he said that to take off the pressure.
Would you swap our current season for LvG's FA Cup winning season?

mu4c_20le

Anyone on the bench ffs. Go to 5 at the back and play Shaw or Williams. Stick to our history of giving chances to young attacking players and play Diallo or Shoretire. Now to the second half of my question why not start bruno yesterday?
So change the entire system just to rest Bruno? (in case you never checked the team sheets as people suggested, we had no 10s on the bench, VdB and Mata both injured).... Throw in some completely unproven youngsters while we're at it? This isn't Football Manager.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Injury ravaged. Knocked out of the EL by Slavia Prague. Drop points to 15th placed Burnley a couple of games ago. We're not talking an impossible task. To be dominated by their severely weakened team was a complete embarrassment.
You are right about their injuries.
But that didn't seem to affect them that much.
Why?
Easy. Leicester City play as a team. One player out, another comes in and does a job.
They play as a team and do exactly what Rogers coaches them to do. They work really hard and have no hesitation in passing a ball to a marked player. Because they are confident with the ball.
Pass and move. Repeat.
They are compact without the ball and fill the spaces.
With the ball, they stretch the opposition to create spaces.
Not difficult. Just doing the basics right.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
So change the entire system just to rest Bruno? (in case you never checked the team sheets as people suggested, we had no 10s on the bench, VdB and Mata both injured).... Throw in some completely unproven youngsters while we're at it? This isn't Football Manager.
We were up 4-0. What system is it that you're trying to play every game? Didn't Ole go 5 at the back and change up a bunch of players for last years FA cup semifinal as well? Plenty of teams play without a number 10. Ole should have rested him for the whole game then and played him for the whole game yesterday. The guy overplays players then rests them when he needs them the most. Complains about tired legs and injuries and rarely uses subs( before someone gets the list of number of subs, go look at the minutes those subs are on the pitch)

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Leicester 0:2 Man Utd