PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 11 May 2021

bsCallout

Realistically, what would great have looked in this game?

The situation and scenario was in no way conducive for any of our players to put in great performances
Of course, they were all going to struggle really. My view was that, because of that, someone as experienced as Matic shouldn't have made so many errors leaving us exposed.

Some players demonstrated what they can offer but like the pundits said, it looked like individuals playing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Absolutely gutted. I just thought we should select a team and play to win every game , especially when the title was not entirely out of our grasp. So much for ‘ Never give in’
Man City are playing Newcastle next... It was over.

TheMitz

Said it in the Matchday but consoling myself with how the Vermin must be feeling right now and the fact the Bloo pricks will have to celebrate on their own on a miserable May evening. Crumbs of comfort I know.
They'll be out in force tonight .... Groups of 6 are now allowed

redshaw

Yes strangely enough, Tielmans and Ndidi is a better midfield two than a completely undercooked Matic and VDB, who have probably started together in those roles once or twice before?

There’s really no need to cry about it tonight.
Tonight is not surprising, our first team midfielders couldn't compete with Leicester either in case you missed that part.

Fred and VDB cost around 90m. I'm of the opinion that Leicester have a very good midfield, some of us on here watched them assemble it and wondered how we're not in for said players and that Manchester United should be doing better in this area, much better.

Oldyella

Never nice to lose a game but this was always going to be difficult sandwiched between so many other important games.

DomM

Pretty much what was expected considering the line up, never like losing but on this occasion, in a dead match, it doesn't mean much.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Welcome back leicester fans.

Now finish the job.
I was here last week complaining about how good we are at bottling :lol:

Fully expect us to lose the CL spot in the last game of the season. A humiliating and quite fitting defeat to Spurs in which they will hand over their bottling crown to us.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The one negative thing I'd point out is bloody zonal marking.

We've lost points against Soton, Everton and now LCFC because of idiotic zonal marking on corners. We've also conceded a corner header against City IIRC.

This tactic needs to go away.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Did he do something to you personally?
Its obviously nothing personal. His performances just haven’t been nearly consistent or aggressive enough for an experienced United starter. That’s all. Take away the EL goals and the Leipzig goals and it’s a pretty ordinary season. Very few assists too for a wide man. I want to see the player who was on fire back again. Him having to play in almost every game is almost just reinforcing the fact that it’s ok to be mediocre for long stretches if you’re a big enough name. It’s a point of frustration for me and I’d said it for a while that if we take him out we will look a lot better and got attacked for it and then we take him out and look a lot better… I don’t see any harm in saying I was right.

Michael T

Would have liked to have kept up the pressure on City as long as possible, but the rearranged schedule due to fan protests made that virtually impossible (not complaining). Happy so many squad players got a run out, including the promising youngsters. Onwards to Thursday...

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I was here last week complaining about how good we are at bottling :lol:

Fully expect us to lose the CL spot in the last game of the season. A humiliating and quite fitting defeat to Spurs in which they will hand over their bottling crown to us.
Come on you can do it! 1 point and we will beat Liverpool for you.

Dan_F

Tonight is not surprising, our first team midfielders couldn't compete with Leicester either in case you missed that part.

Fred and VDB cost around 90m. I'm of the opinion that Leicester have a very good midfield, some of us on here watched them assemble it and wondered how we're not in for said players and that Manchester United should be doing better in this area, much better.
I completely agree. I’ve said as much in multiple threads about McFred. I just can’t understand why you’re “disappointed” tonight if you are aware of our issues in midfield.

cyberman

Its obviously nothing personal. His performances just haven’t been nearly consistent or aggressive enough for an experienced United starter. That’s all. Take away the EL goals and the Leipzig goals and it’s a pretty ordinary season. Very few assists too for a wide man. I want to see the player who was on fire back again. Him having to play in almost every game is almost just reinforcing the fact that it’s ok to be mediocre for long stretches if you’re a big enough name. It’s a point of frustration for me and I’d said it for a while that if we take him out we will look a lot better and got attacked for it and then we take him out and look a lot better… I don’t see any harm in saying I was right.
Why would you take away goals?
Edit only 2 players have more assists than he does in the league. He has the same amount of assists as KDB and Bruno, nore than Messi.
Madness.

Ali Dia

Why would you take away goals?
Because to an extent it’s stat padding as helpful as he’s been. People banging their chest about 17 or is it 18 goals from a wide position is top class… half of them in the EL and 3 against Leipzig but people conveniently forget they are actually comparing him to other forwards who were doing it in the CL until the later rounds. I would argue we’d have done better this season if we weren’t so massively over reliant on rashford. Especially in the 0-0 games where he stood in the wide left position and offered nothing else.

dalriada

Maybe so on Williams. Telles was ok the second half going forward, the few opportunities he has had he has looked weak defensively to me, he did again today.

As for Elanga, yes, it is a step up, you can see a lot of the time the ball was at his feet, things that would come easily for youth sides were getting read by the full back. I thought he was poor, but wasnt expecting much and the big thing was gettign some experience which will do the world of good for him
Agree on Telles, he's good going forward, new-style wing back in that sense, good on throw-ins and set pieces but weaker than Brandon defensively, and Shaw's currently well ahead of both.

Djemba-Djemba

Because to an extent it’s stat padding as helpful as he’s been. People banging their chest about 17 or is it 18 goals from a wide position is top class… half of them in the EL and 3 against Leipzig but people conveniently forget they are actually comparing him to other forwards who were doing it in the CL until the later rounds. I would argue we’d have done better this season if we weren’t so massively over reliant on rashford. Especially in the 0-0 games where he stood in the wide left position and offered nothing else.
He's scored 2 goals in the EL, one of them a crucial away goal in the quarter final.

Why do you keep making out like hes been stat padding goals against EL teams?

Zhagzi

Elanga was better than Rashford. Nuff' said about the latter's end to the season. What a disappointed attitude. He rarely combines well with the others, and seems to work less hard than the others. I would expect more consistent play from him by this point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Think Matic & Mata shown theyre completely done at this level.

Tuanzabe seemed to have a very good game, a couple of moments on the ball were ropey but did well defensively.

Other than that I thought it was a good run our for a few players. Never want to drop points but this was probably the best scenario in which to do so. If we win on Thursday it will have been worth it.
Playing them together, with a weaker lineup yes for sure.
Matic can probably be a rotational option in some games next year.

Mata should probably have been seen off years back.

Djemba-Djemba

Felt really weird watching us at the end wanting us to score but knowing if we did it would have delighted Liverpool fans.

Strange feeling.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Good run out for the fringe lads. Thought Matic and Amad down well (although I missed last 20 minutes) from what I saw. Considering there were a lot of changes it wasn’t the worst performance.

making changes for the corner that lead To the goal cost us.

only caveat is we have screwed the Scouse over big time

Number32

We concede lots of goals from set pieces/crossing, and yet our fans think a pacey CB next season will fix the problem?
We don't need a pacey CB, we just need a decent defender who can heading/clearing the ball away alongside Maguire.

Feck it, I'm jumping to Sven Botman's train now.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Take-aways:

1. Greenwood is amazing
2. We need to give more time to Amad
3. We need a DFM. Matic is done.
4. We need a better "second team" if we want to win big things.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We concede lots of goals from set pieces/crossing, and yet our fans think a pacey CB next season will fix the problem?
We don't need a pacey CB, we just need a decent defender who can heading/clearing the ball away alongside Maguire.

Feck it, I'm jumping to Sven Botman's train now.
The one at Lille. He looks decent.

Ali Dia

He's scored 2 goals in the EL, one of them a crucial away goal in the quarter final.

Why do you keep making out like hes been stat padding goals against EL teams?
Ok let’s just say 10 goals in the league so. It’s still not really enough for your main forward with no defensive responsibility at one of the biggest clubs. Alone it’s never going to be enough to win anything for us so we obviously need to improve our use of the rest of the team but when Rashy breaks down our promising play so often then I feel like he’s holding our other attackers back when he doesn’t use them or make runs for them when they have the ball in solid attacking positions.

Pogba actually looks for those runs, makes late runs into the box, is available for a header or 2, he puts the foot in and gets up and down the pitch. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that the team has come alive around Cavani. The pressing and work rate and off the ball movement is working teams a lot more than simply just mark Rashford out of the game. It’s also bringing others into play a lot more effectively. We are much more unpredictable and better to watch when we aren’t so reliant on Rashford

A job well done.

It's also becoming apparent it's not our starting lineup that's the problem, it's the squad.

croadyman

Disappointed we couldn't get a draw to at least keep that unbeaten run at home since the debacle against Sheff Utd, having said that would rather lose tonight than against the scousers on Thurs night

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Honestly, anyone whining at Ole about losing this one needs to take a long, hard look at themselves. We were put in a really difficult situation by the PL and it was obvious which game should be 'canned' based on sequencing.

The fact Liverpool is next and we can pontetially throw them out of the CL, giving us an easier run at Sancho just makes the decision even more crystal-clear and obvious.

I actually enjoyed the game and I thought some of our passing was decent. These players not only don't play often (or much at all) but also they don't often play with each other in a competitive game.

The one negative from tonight is these LCFC pricks think they've now won the league or something, dropping on their knees :lol:. I actually think they can still bottle top 4 if we lose against Liverpool. And as much as I don't want the scousers in the CL, it'd be hilarious if Rodgers makes it a hat-trick of end-of-season meltdowns :lol:.
I'd have preferred to see us go for it in the first half with all out attack and then change it at half time and bring in some changes - though ten seemed a tad excessive.

Banana Republic

It's a bit premature to celebrate the scousers missing out on a CL place.
Liverpool are not out of it yet.
Their other 3 games are against WBA, Burnley and Palace, which they can win to reach 66 points.
So we MUST beat Liverpool AND Leicester MUST get 1 point out of their two remaining fixtures.

Leicester's last 2 are away to Chelsea and home to Spurs.
They could easily lose both.

If we draw or lose to Liverpool on Thursday, they are odds on favourites to knock Leicester out of the top 4.
I'm going to turn into Leicester's biggest fan next week.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:1 Leicester
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester