PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Tue, 11 May 2021

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The game was definitely winnable. Not taking off Mata or Matic was criminally shit management, unless Ole was deliberately doing it because he wanted Leicester to win.

Everyone, including the players out on the pitch, could see how little they were able to contribute to the game in the second half. Basically the same as playing a man down in defense and a man down in attack.

Hopefully they're both gone next season, because their ability to contribute anything useful, even as squad players who get 15 appearances a season, is near zero.
:lol: Just a touch hysterical, no? He didn’t want Leicester to win but he did want McFred as fresh as possible for a game that actually matters (to him and to us fans) on Thursday. Incredible how many people don’t seem to understand the context here.

wolvored

A lot was learnt actually.

Greenwood showed in simply his leadership, poise and aggressively play that he's coming pretty soon. His movement dropping deep, trying to connect play was the only reason we did anything offensively in the first half. Martial has never taken that level of responsibility in his time here as a 9.

Amad and Elanga had good flashes.They didn't really have the support to take over the game and as youngsters, it should not have been expected that they'd dominate on the counter against a team like Leicester, especially with how poor our build up was.

VDB was terrible again and Matic showed that despite his technical skills, he doesn't have the legs to cover the ground necessary to dominate any team at this level. Add that to Mata's usual lack of presence in the no.10 position and we had a ghost midfield. It showed that midfield should be the most important area of focus for us in the transfer market. At the very least having Garner and Mctominay as depth ( Pogba's a left midfielder now) would be much better than this.

Williams is not a Utd player, not even as a back up. We need someone at least more experienced than this for cover.

Tuanzebe again showed why getting a centre back is another necessity.

All in all, it showed that we have serious depth issues in the squad that can only be fixed through the market, we at least need 2 players coming in to challenge City. Even if we don't have the funds for another attacker, we need a CDM and Centre back.
Yes agree with you there. Doesnt matter who is the darling of the dressing room and does feck all on the pitch like mata for example. we would be better with more Keanes. Does the job on the pitch and no one really keen on you or apprehensive of you in the dressing room. Excuse the puns but couldnt think how to word this any better this time of the morning. We need to move a lot of deadwood this summer.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
For all the changes Ole made, I think if he had Maguire to play 90 minutes we would have at the very least drawn that.

tjb

Yes agree with you there. Doesnt matter who is the darling of the dressing room and does feck all on the pitch like mata for example. we would be better with more Keanes. Does the job on the pitch and no one really keen on you or apprehensive of you in the dressing room. Excuse the puns but couldnt think how to word this any better this time of the morning. We need to move a lot of deadwood this summer.
It's the thing Fred provides that every United midfielder should have, yet somehow he's the only one. Presence and energy. Unfortunately he doesn't have the technical skills to make us dominant.

Jpar

Meh. About what I expected given the circumstances. Fair play to Ole for putting that team out. Beat Liverpool tomorrow, beat Fulham on Tuesday (finally in front of fans) , same 11 as this game for Wolves and then go win a trophy. Job done. See you all next season.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Man Utd 0:1 Leicester City - Thomas (10')

Man Utd 1:1 Leicester City - Greenwood (')

Man Utd 1:2 Leicester City - Soyuncu (66')
To be fair Ole is focusing on Europa which is vital for him to be able to win his first bit of silverware as United Manager, I would say his priorities are correct. We would never have caught City anyway so why risk our players but this match also showed Mata is at the end of his career, Williams needs to be loaned out, Axel was brilliant and should play remaining games in the league and Van De Beek it just isn't working is it. This game was surely no pressure and he folded like a house of cards so many times. I like him but frankly I would rather someone come in that can actually challenge the midfield we currently have. Amad looks good but needs to look around him from time to time and Elanga I haven't seen much of tbh but good for him for making his debut. Roll on Villareal. Hopefully Harry will be back.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
It's the thing Fred provides that every United midfielder should have, yet somehow he's the only one. Presence and energy. Unfortunately he doesn't have the technical skills to make us dominant.
I 100% agree with this Fred is a trier but so was Anderson

Withnail

Hope it’s not a permanent thing because that was something that was so time saving and made it easy to access current, past and future information . But have a feeling official league sites might have complained as it seems to only be effecting a few leagues and not UEFA completions.
It's back :D

That would actually have ruined my life.

George the Cat

Ole didn’t make any mistakes. The FA ensured we played a second string that had precious little playing time and no rhythm.
Is the correct answer. The thing is whoever plays for us gets a slagging on here, its just that this time there’s the added excuse of saying they should never have been on the pitch. Yeah but if he had put our strongest side out the majority of the team would still have got slagged off On here.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Quite looking forward to the game when I saw the line up. The 1st half was decent but the 2nd was a tough watch. Leicester suddenly realised they had to get three points and started playing like they wanted to win, and we obviously couldn't cope with our patchwork team and non-existent midfield.

Its tough to judge any player too much when they come into a completely changed team rather than one that we know works, but not too many did themselves any favours. Unsurprised by Mata & Matic looking past it, and Amad and Elanga showed flashes (more so Amad) but didn't get on the ball enough. This game will do them the world of good though - theres nothing like getting a proper taste of the sort of level you need to reach in order to make it here. Tuanzebe and Williams should be loaned out. Neither impressed last night but they've both got something and they need regular football. A full season of Championship football (if not PL) will do them both good.

Donny though......what has happened to him? He's become a case study for the importance of confidence in football. Something about this move has crippled him. It might be the clubs fault for not using him enough, but I think he's wilted completely. You can't use a player performing at that level. No idea where it goes from here with him.

Sylar

That’s an awful comparison. Fred is the fittest, most hard-working player to pull on a United shirt since Ji-Sung Park. To compare his level of effort with Anderson is ridiculous.
Anderson tried. He didnt go on the pitch and think 'nah feck it, dont fancy it' He clearly tried but was lacking things, and it might have been off the field which caused the issue.

Fred does remind me of Anderson the way he kicks the ball though.

dalriada

I had not seen much of Telles at Porto. Was he much better there or yet another overhyped player abroad though? He is a decent full back but looks little more apart from a good ability crossing from his season with us. Still, if he is happy here within the squad he is definately a good squad player
I think he's maybe not worked out as well as the club hoped, but I think he was expected to compete with Shaw, whose form improved far more than anyone expected after Telles arrived. I watched some of his previous matches when he first arrived and he looked pretty much the way he does for us - gets forward a lot and good on crosses and set pieces but not a defence-minded full back.
I'm guessing that was the point - Shaw at the time and Williams were good defensively, but we were lacking modern style attacking wing backs on both sides of the pitch. Telles might feel he's been sold a bit of a pup, probably expected far more game time, but Shaw, to his credit, has stepped up to the challenge.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are these reflective of typical Talksport callers? I remember a wackadoodle a couple of months ago, but these two are up there as well...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anderson tried. He didnt go on the pitch and think 'nah feck it, dont fancy it' He clearly tried but was lacking things, and it might have been off the field which caused the issue.

Fred does remind me of Anderson the way he kicks the ball though.
One of the (many) things he lacked was the ability to play football for 90 minutes because he wasn’t fit enough to play football for 90 minutes. Which doesn’t exactly scream “trier” to me.

Not sure what you mean by “the way he kicks the ball” either. Even though he still has a brain fart or two in him most games Fred is still a hell of a lot more consistent and accurate with his passing than Anderson ever was.

MikeeMike

Just to say again. We had a changed side but the there was not even close to an intense desire.

NoLogo

Ole had little choice with so little rest between games. If anything this shows that we maybe need a bit more squad depth, but I also saw some encouraging performances by some of the younger players. Matic and Mata on the other hand are simply not good enough anymore and their squad spots need to be given to better players who can give us some depth to properly rotate players.

Banana Republic

Three big mistakes Ole made that may have cost us the game

1 .Playing Mata. He was horrible, useless, absolute empty space. Even Ethan Galbraith would have been a better choice
2. Making a substitution right before Leicester's corner
3. Taking Amad off to bring Bruno, instead of taking fecking Mata off the field
Mirrors my thoughts during the 2nd half.

1. It was obvious by half time that Mata wasn’t contributing any more and was running round like a headless chicken, unable to do anything useful defensively or offensively.
He became a totally liability in the middle, not pressing, closing down or disrupting Leicester’s build-up through the middle.
A model professional and a great servant to the club in his time at Utd, surely we can’t extend his contract, just because of his influence on the training pitch.

2. Again, the substitutions were made far too late, when it was obvious we had become a shit-show and that Leicester were dominating and getting closer to scoring.
The subs should have been made between 55 and 60 mins, if not at half time.
Subbing on the corner was a disaster.

3. Bruno should have replaced Mata, who was a walking liability, not Amad.
It was right to pull Elanga off, but at least Ahmad was making a contribution, with his blocks and defensive work on the right.
He’s not going to feature on Thursday, so why not keep him on a bit longer.
He wasn’t gassed or shot.
It reveals Ole’s fixed mindset, preconceived ideas and his blindness. The same as when he kept playing Lingard over and over again when it it obvious even to a blind man, that he was totally crap and not improving.

We all know the reasons for giving this game a low priority and that the points didn’t matter, but losing in that way and the 2nd half performance against poor opposition, clearly show that Utd are nowhere near “close”, or strong enough in depth, quality or tactics to make a real challenge next season. That’s what saddens me.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

First twenty minutes I thought Matic was playing them on his own, however the energy he expended caught him up in the second half and Fred or McTominay should have been on.
Very disappointed in Mata, especially that first twenty minutes when he and Matic were the 'old heads' and it needed their combined efforts, but Mata abandoned his defensive duties and playing ten yards too far up the pitch, he left Matic to cope. Mata didn't even get a kick for first ten minutes, although he showed a bit more in the second half, but too little too late!

Tuanzebe and to a lesser extent Bailly had shaky starts, but Axel in particular came good and had a storming second half.

Ole obviously made choices with tomorrows game against Liverpool in mind. After the first twenty minutes we more than held Leicester, but they stepped it up in the second half and then we struggled. In my view we had already lost the game when the substitutions were made. The two youngsters ran around a lot and had one or two good touches on the ball, but were too easily dispossessed. Still they have had a full debut and hopefully a good pre-season, will do them and Donny some good for next year.

Greenwood had a good game, got his goal as usual, also he played a bit more with his head up, especially around the box, which has been a slight problem earlier in the season. Glad Cavani's stopping should help Greenwood no end!

Last edited:

justsomebloke

The game was definitely winnable. Not taking off Mata or Matic was criminally shit management, unless Ole was deliberately doing it because he wanted Leicester to win.

Everyone, including the players out on the pitch, could see how little they were able to contribute to the game in the second half. Basically the same as playing a man down in defense and a man down in attack.

Hopefully they're both gone next season, because their ability to contribute anything useful, even as squad players who get 15 appearances a season, is near zero.
Actually, Mata was directly involved in our goal (hit the pass to Diallo), as well as in the best chances we had during the closing stages. And Matic was arguably our MOTM, on the strength of an excellent first half. So maybe you need to watch a bit more closely yourself before you go on about what "everyone could see".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is a meaningful game to show that how poor of our bench XI quantity as comparing with ManCity Bench XI when the team want to compete a season long league title.
This is also a meaningful game to explain one of the reason why Ole's late substitution because this game was shown that our bench are not good enough to be a X factor to change the game performance.
Man City's so called "Bench XI" that played against Chelsea a) had actual first teamers in it (Dias, Rodri, Sterling, Cancelo) and b) also lost the game. A total Man City bench XI that included some youngsters and zero first teamers would also struggle.

If we played yesterdays game but had Maguire, Shaw, Pogba and Cavani on the pitch alongside whoever, we obviously would have looked a lot better.

Fact is, squad players aren't meant to play in a whole XI together, they're meant to play WITH first teamers - thats how you judge them. Not in a meaningless game vs. a team that actually needs to win.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I know some people would trade a win against Liverpool for a win against Leicester, but I hate losing any game - and there's no guarantee we won't lose to Liverpool too; odds on we'll give them a goal start!

I thought we were OK in the first half, yes they scored but they never really troubled DDG before that or after and it was a pretty-much must-win game for them. Positives: Mata had a good game, some of the youngsters showed a lot of energy but we looked like what we were: a side that hadn't played together before. I also didn't see any point in risking Bruno who isn't really an "impact" player. He seems to need time to get going and is unlikely to make a telling pass as soon as he gets on the field; Pogba might, in this instance, have been a better bet. Also, Matic was excellent and Greenwood was lively.

Negatives: Axel is prone to our norma CB madness: can have a great game, then do something daft. Mata, sad to say, is done; finished. No idea why he stayed on the park.

Overall, I just don't buy the hype about how strong our squad is. Yes, there were stars on the bench but only because they didn't start the game. We have a long way to go and need to spend big in the summer - and it looks like on squad players as well as the big names (it won't happen).

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
VDB in the right lineup is probably an exceptional part of a pass and move outfit. For us, he just looks like a pass it back to whoever he got it from merchant.

Was a signing seemingly protecting us if Pogba left. But even when Pogba is out he's barely got a look in, and it's hard to see how we ever planned on playing him and Bruno in the same lineup.

For all the "squad" strengthening talk, I'm not sure it's done that at all, and it's just used up 35m we could have put towards a big target.
So far VDB has not worked and that's something that happens with transfers. I'm not sure what your point is. We tried and it hasn't worked. Have you not made mistakes before?

gerdm07

I thought Greenwood was the best player on the pitch in the first half. His composure, leadership and skill just stood out. It's hard to tell what his ceiling will be and it is very exciting.

HailtotheKing

Meh. About what I expected given the circumstances. Fair play to Ole for putting that team out. Beat Liverpool tomorrow, beat Fulham on Tuesday (finally in front of fans) , same 11 as this game for Wolves and then go win a trophy. Job done. See you all next season.
To be fair Ole is focusing on Europa which is vital for him to be able to win his first bit of silverware as United Manager, I would say his priorities are correct. We would never have caught City anyway so why risk our players but this match also showed Mata is at the end of his career, Williams needs to be loaned out, Axel was brilliant and should play remaining games in the league and Van De Beek it just isn't working is it. This game was surely no pressure and he folded like a house of cards so many times. I like him but frankly I would rather someone come in that can actually challenge the midfield we currently have. Amad looks good but needs to look around him from time to time and Elanga I haven't seen much of tbh but good for him for making his debut. Roll on Villareal. Hopefully Harry will be back.
I don't think you can judge VDB so quickly when he's had so little game time. Midfield must be the hardest position to play when you're coming in cold. Because you have to knit the entire play together. Made even harder when you're playing with unfamiliar players. Not to mention lower-quality players. We let other players play game after game where they're shit or average until finally they play themselves into form. But judge VDB after 1 match. Bit ridiculous.

always_hoping

Fair play to Klopp for calling it like it is.

Jurgen Klopp on Manchester United team's selection last night:

“It was the line up I expected. They play Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. That's a crime. It's not the fault of Ole and his players. Would I have done the same? Yes."

HailtotheKing

“It was the lineup I expected. They play Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. That's a crime. It's not the fault of Ole and his players. Would I have done the same? Yes."
Yeah, and he shoulda said Thursday-Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. It's utterly ridiculous. And thankfully, Klopp saw it for what it is. He's done the same himself anyway, so he couldn't really say different. Think beyond the subs in the second half, Ole handled it well. Liverpool are now less likely to be in the Champions League, which helps us with transfers. Plus they'll never be able to say we lost the title against them, which is golden.

gerdm07

“It was the line up I expected. They play Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. That's a crime. It's not the fault of Ole and his players. Would I have done the same? Yes."
Klopp seems like a good man and manager. However, he better deliver next season with competing for the title or he will likely be out.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Said it in the Matchday but consoling myself with how the Vermin must be feeling right now and the fact the Bloo pricks will have to celebrate on their own on a miserable May evening. Crumbs of comfort I know.
My friend, MCFC are champions, regardless of if they celebrate alone or with a big party.
As a MUFC fan, I'd be very happy to celebrate multiple trophies, alone, during Covid.

justsomebloke

Does Klopp credit, it does. Hopefully that puts this nonsense to rest.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
If we lose again liverpool the rotation will be for nothing. I support the fans protesting the glazers but if we lose 2 games because of it then it really wasnt worth it.. especially considering the are going no where

Offsideagain

Beat the Scousers tomorrow and stifle their chances of CL next season. Just play the strongest team we have available please Ole.

Shimo

Normally my whole day is ruined, even when we lose a friendly. However, yesterday was different, some has to do with the result making it more difficult for Liverpool to make top 4 but, more so if this game hopefully is a real eye opener to lack quality after in some of our back up players even keeping in mind most of not played so it is going to affect their performances.

Williams - he doesn't have the temperament nor the acumen to be a reliable backup fullback. Offloading to a mid table team would be good for us and him.
Telles - when he came in thought at least his forward play would be a plus but, he is just not very good. Number of runs behind Elanga made and he didn't even try once to play a ball for him.
Tuanzebe - he had some very good defensive moments but, his passing of the ball was just pathetic, he was so lackadaisical with the ball, one simple back pass was lucky it barely got to DDG and then another where he just gave it to LC player being too casual
VDB - it's harsh on him but, with such little game time and in a position that is not one he should ever be in, it was going to be a tough ask for him to show his quality. He should have played where Mata was
Mata - a gentleman but, how he stayed on the pitch for 90 is beyond me. Chasing the game, Ole should have subbed him without a doubt instead of Amad.
Amad - has more about him than James, strange that he hasn't got a shot till now.
Elanga - there is something there to work with.

Also, can anyone tell me who Rashford was getting all pissed of for the goal when he was the one that let Soyuncu go ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So far VDB has not worked and that's something that happens with transfers. I'm not sure what your point is. We tried and it hasn't worked. Have you not made mistakes before?
We bought him and barely gave him a go. That was odd.

gerdm07

We bought him and barely gave him a go. That was odd.
I thought he looked promising in his early appearances. It could be, though, he has not performed well enough in training. I think we will know the answer during the summer. If we sell, he couldn't proof himself. If we keep him, then Ole sees enough to keep and give him a chance.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Is Keys a Liverpool fan? Rude to both LCFC and Manchester United fans there.

Claiming that the protests were nothing to do with ESL or ownership but because there isn't the same success and also claiming we now have a distorted race for the CL as if manager's have never made these kind of changes before or as if we have never beat you guys before.

jesperjaap

I agree with your sentiments. VdB doesn’t look like a Utd player still from what I’ve seen so far. He looks scared of the ball. I’m willing to give him another season, because I’ve always been patient, especially with players who have shown elsewhere that they have what it takes, but he has to shown much more mental toughness.
I think he's maybe not worked out as well as the club hoped, but I think he was expected to compete with Shaw, whose form improved far more than anyone expected after Telles arrived. I watched some of his previous matches when he first arrived and he looked pretty much the way he does for us - gets forward a lot and good on crosses and set pieces but not a defence-minded full back.
I'm guessing that was the point - Shaw at the time and Williams were good defensively, but we were lacking modern style attacking wing backs on both sides of the pitch. Telles might feel he's been sold a bit of a pup, probably expected far more game time, but Shaw, to his credit, has stepped up to the challenge.
Agree on Shaw stepping up of course. But he was also better going forward than defending, his positional sense was poor defending, something that he has improved but still needs to work on. I guess either way Telles has been a good signing anyway as was cheap and directly, indirectly or by coincidence from his arrival SHaw has stepped up, probably been our best player this season, would say him and Bissaka have improved areas of there game more than anyone else this season

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Ole didn’t make any mistakes. The FA ensured we played a second string that had precious little playing time and no rhythm.
Agree with the atrocity of FA's decision, but once that doesn't change the fact that Ole could have used what he had better and he made some mistakes, namely the three ones.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:1 Leicester
  • 17% Man Utd 2:1 Leicester