PL L FA Premier League

Leicester City 4:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 October 2021

Giggsy13

Positives
Credit to Ole he is learning. Hear me out, when we were drawing vs Everton he was smiling, today you could see he was trying very hard not to smile and look very serious.. when we went behind he was sucking his lips in so clearly he’s learnt not to express whatever childish thoughts are going through his head when we’re drawing or losing. It’s a start…
Spot on mate. You know what, I think Ole purposely lost this game to help ease the pressure on the lads of the away unbeaten run. Smart that by Ole, start fresh.

Gordon S

Pogba is not a cm and Matic is not even nearly good enough to run everything on his own. Fred and Scott are a decent cm pairing when they are on song but thats it really. We desperately need some quality players for that position.

But having said that, we should still be able to do way better than this. We are in shocking form right now. Need a proper miracle next weekend :(

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I got up for dinner at 1-1 at the 76th min thinking it'll be a draw and 2 points dropped. WTF happened in the last 15 mins ? :mad:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ronaldo looking his age - this one hurts the most to admit. He's still brilliant and will get goals, but you can see he looks a foot slower to the ball.
Ronaldo isn't slow. He's one of our fastest players.
There doesn't seem to be any discernable tactic to our pattern of play.
Our manager throws a bunch of big names and uber-talented players into a match and hopes that a few of them use individual skill to create/score a goal.
Ronaldo's last gasp goal to beat Villareal is indicative of this. We buy one of the best strikers on the planet and he bailed us out. 99% of other strikers would not have got that goal and we'd have drawn and been in big trouble in the CL group.

fps

Judge in February, if United are within 6 points of top then, progress will be clear.

Spot on mate. You know what, I think Ole purposely lost this game to help ease the pressure on the lads of the away unbeaten run. Smart that by Ole, start fresh.
Ey… our Ole is playing chess while we’re thinking he’s managing a team playing football

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Exactly. We should look at what Chelsea did with Lampard, another fan favourite, and look what return it got them. We won't, but we should.

With this squad, he should have nowhere to hide but if anything we are going backwards. Rapidly.
There's an irony to the biggest and best squad we've had in an age being his undoing - at this point, with this kind of squad, the excuses that were once in place simply do not cut it and, knowing the calibre of the players we've got in this summer, their pedigree has long since been established and that makes things untenable, imo.

What bothers me more than the results is the way we bumble from one game to the next, never showing net improvements or even having anything to certifiably point at and say 'this is where we're going.' Without that, it's just an aimless procedure that needs to be put to bed now - there's no reason to believe things will suddenly turn around as we have no cohesion, structure or collective gameplan.

4-2 Leicester bothers me less than watching us look so, so poor with no constructive takes to make about us as a unit.

FatTails

Ok come clean. Who are the 1% who thought it would be absolutely hysterical to pick Maguire as MOTM? :lol:

bdspeedy

We will lose to Atalanta and Liverpool putting Ole and his band of amateurs on the brink but they'll be saved by a fluke Spurs own goal in the 99th minute, earning us a draw that breaks the losing streak but keeps us winless in October. Boo!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Conceding that 3rd goal was utterly criminal.

You've just got back into it, with a brilliant goal, Rashy is back etc.

Then that.

Just so tumescent.

Esquire

Is it on Ole or on AWB and Maguire having mares?
Aside from a moment of individual brilliance from Greenwood, the whole team (including Greenwood) really was poor. Yes Maguire played a week to soon but this team has a huge performance issue and poor balance.

I don’t know why we keep thinking Pogba can turn out to be the CM we hoped he would be after 4 years. He is not that. Bruno has really cooled off. Ronaldo is a one dimensional player and we don’t play to his strengths. That said, with this talent pool there is NO WAY we could be this incoherent on offence and defence. That’s down to Ole.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was too scared to follow the game, just checked the result, oh dear

:(

SplitzMagic

I might get slated for this but best case scenario for us is that Ole goes.

Fergie gets a bit of fire in his belly and manages till the end of the season so we can get a new manager. He's got phelan to do all the work anyways. I'd even be happy for him to manage from the stand at this point :lol:

I know we should let go of fergie but with Ronaldo back I just feel like this stint will tarnish his amazing career somewhat.

We need to see good football and quickly... It's looking to be the worst season so far with this midfield.

Ah well. Sorry guys.

Giggsy13

Judge in February, if United are within 6 points of top then, progress will be clear.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arsenal, yes the piss poor Arsenal who’ve been smacked around this season are 1 point behind with a win on Monday.

Hampshire Rec

Having managed to get back in then do that is criminal. The fourth was always gonna happen after that. Not sure what the issue is but next week will be watching from behind the sofa!

MUFC OK

Hope the board takes some initiative for once and closes the book on Ole as manager. Not a question of whether he can compete for the biggest trophies, it’s utterly embarrassing week in week out now.

Kinky Melinky

I decided to go go for a mid afternoon nap rather than watch the game. I am glad I made that decision.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
There's an irony to the biggest and best squad we've had in an age being his undoing - at this point, with this kind of squad, the excuses that were once in place simply do not cut it and, knowing the calibre of the players we've got in this summer, their pedigree has long since been established and that makes things untenable, imo.

But it's an unbalanced squad with no defensive midfield. Would Usain Bolt win the 100 metres with one foot, no matter how good the rest of him is?

Esquire

At the end of the year if we are out of the running in the big 2 competitions then Ole has to go. Love the man and am grateful for what he's done, but our defensive setup 2 months in is still a shambles. Not getting a world class DM is costing us dearly.
Not sure if McT could have started today but he should have played with Matic. Pogba offers no balance whatsoever. Yes he is superman for France but if he can’t be the same for United let him go. TBF he was the least of our problems today. My point is that yes we could use a world class DM but even without that we were poor. Piss poor. I have been covering my ears for a long time now to the criticism of Ole but these past 3 games have really demonstrated that our coaching is inferior. In game management is poor.

Maguire needed to come off at half time. McT should have come on for Pogba earlier because they were just killing us on the counter. Ronaldo was quiet b/c we just don’t have the wing/full back crosses (AWB as usual useless on this front).

justsomebloke

Put on my Spotify 70s playlist on random play. It jumps to Joy Division's New Dawn Fades. Must be something about today.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Terrible result of course, but more importantly yet another very poor performance.

SirMonteyne

Ronaldo will bounce back as he always does, hope he delays his form till Ole gets sacked.
Shaw needs to partner up with his usual direct wingers like Rashford, James etc, pacey partners give Shaw enough space. As for Sancho, they both can't create spaces for each other in tight spaces, it's painful to watch.

Greenwood and AWB work just fine, Sancho has to warm the bench for a while or try to play with AWB who is more direct than Luke.

Almost every team except Leeds overruns our midfield, midfielders have to be on the constant move in modern football in order to prevent getting pressed. This is the reason I like Fred a lot, However Carrick and Ole don't get it or they trying to reinvent 20s football by instructing Pogba to get the ball on his foot in space, he can't get this luxury to play magically with Matic or McTominay sitting deep.

Bruno plays very strangely since he gets free role pass, he needs to push forward every time when Shaw or AWB pushes forward, that's how you create space for Pogba and others. Stacking with them when the team pushes forward is like giving the opposite team time to press and get the ball back in dangerous situations.

I've been feeling like Ole had been scared to try modern football, last time we played some modern football is under Moyes with Mata and Kagawa creating spaces in his last few games.

Last season, Maguire has been in insane form. He gets the ball and pushes forward, it gives enough time to midfielders to find spaces. With Matic or someone sitting deep might be giving a defensive advantage, But it's a chicken move. If you like to talk about attacking DNA, then you have to get your players to move, not sitting in a deep.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We will go on getting results like this until the board finally wakes up to the fact that some of us knew on day one: Ole is not a good enough manager for Manchester United. Early on I was worried that there was no Plan B but actually there is not Plan A. he does not have the nous or experience or tactical knowledge required. As I said on the day that he got the job full-time (earlier than was promised), all that would happen is somewhere down the line we'd blame a legend as a player - some of us knew that if you fail at cardiff, you are unlikely to succeed at Old Trafford. The guys he's got working with him are barely more experienced than people here!

I would not be at all surprised if we were as good as out of the CL by Christmas unless a change is made now.

Esquire

Long time defender of Ole, I must admit my stubbornness.

Basic issue is that he and his staff can't coach out poor habits. Pogba taking 11 touches to find a pass after bursting past their midfield is prime example.
Our defense is woeful. Midfield, passengers.

Ronaldo looking his age - this one hurts the most to admit. He's still brilliant and will get goals, but you can see he looks a foot slower to the ball.
Wondering if Ole has the balls to drop Ronny (though he was starved of service today). Cavani looks the better option for our style of play as he presses like a demon from the front. Then really try our 70m buy on the RW as that’s what he was bought for with Rashford on the left. At this point Ole must try something new. Bruno looks like he can use a rest too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Aside from a moment of individual brilliance from Greenwood, the whole team (including Greenwood) really was poor. Yes Maguire played a week to soon but this team has a huge performance issue and poor balance.

I don’t know why we keep thinking Pogba can turn out to be the CM we hoped he would be after 4 years. He is not that. Bruno has really cooled off. Ronaldo is a one dimensional player and we don’t play to his strengths. That said, with this talent pool there is NO WAY we could be this incoherent on offence and defence. That’s down to Ole.
Bruno looks to be the biggest victim of Ronaldo coming in so far.
We seem to have tweaked the tactics to have Bruno quite high up, which seems to have left the centre midfield even more exposed than before.

Red00012

We will lose to Atalanta and Liverpool putting Ole and his band of amateurs on the brink but they'll be saved by a fluke Spurs own goal in the 99th minute, earning us a draw that breaks the losing streak but keeps us winless in October. Boo!
If we are knocked out of the champs league he should be sacked on the spot.

GregM40

Dreading next Sunday.

We used to press teams and attack on the break at pace, what has happened?

Backfired playing Maguire, but doesn’t explain his lack of a brain. Horror show.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wondering if Ole has the balls to drop Ronny (though he was starved of service today). Cavani looks the better option for our style of play as he presses like a demon from the front. Then really try our 70m buy on the RW as that’s what he was bought for with Rashford on the left. At this point Ole must try something new. Bruno looks like he can use a rest too.
He'll certainly have to use his man management skills to ensure that Ronaldo knows it's "resting" him and "keeping him fresh", as you don't drop Ronaldo easily.

He won't fancy sitting out the european games either due to his record in it.

I think we might well rest him for Wednesday though, as we'll have to be a lot better v Liverpool to not take a beating.

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 269 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Leicester 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Leicester 2:1 Man Utd