PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 20 October 2019

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
19:13
Klopp refusing to give United any credit
Come on Jurgen, you were second best for most of the game.

This is more of his interview with BBC:

“We were good enough for a point. We gave Man Utd an opportunity to play the way they wanted to play with five at the back etc. They were hardworking. Our orientation wasn’t good enough. We felt under pressure when we weren’t and could have turned inside at some opportunities.

“We always play against the wall. We need to do better but it is how it is. I don’t think Man Utd can play like this if the other team doesn’t have the ball as much. We play very often against a team like this. Maybe we can do better. One point is completely fine. We carry on.”

He's a moany twat but he's right. We looked more impressive becuase we got the opportunity to play without the ball and the pressure to dominate. Of course we deserve credit to have done it very well in the 1st half and Liverpool deserve flack for being wank. But the underlying point the crybaby is making, is true.

croadyman

Yet again we have been pegged back at 1-0 up in a game,how many more times is this going to happen before the penny drops and we actually concentrate for the whole game

SteveW

Yet again we have been pegged back at 1-0 up in a game,how many more times is this going to happen before the penny drops and we actually concentrate for the whole game
Young and Romo were to blame. They've always been poor defenders. They always will be. For now we are stuck with them but not for much longer

SirMattlives

the equalizer was a calamity of errors. Most of the match the defense did their job comfortably, Liverpool really never threatened despite all their possession (remember we played like that a couple of managers back). But I was shocked in final 15 mins how unable we were to keep possession. Anytime they lost the ball, they had it back within 10 seconds. We could not keep possession from our own throw-ins. OK, if we want to defend and let them come at us, do it properly. Glad we got a draw but frustrated that this performance in the later second-half is considered ok...it was not. A win would not have changed the fact that we could not even get the ball, never mind keep it, at home.

PieCrust

Defense was solid, but got what we deserved ultimately. Embarassing the state of United devolved into nothing but defend the entire 2nd half with hardly any ambition to go forward and get a 2nd goal.

Having limited players like Rojo and Young cost points, and the inexcusable losing of Lallana for their goal showcases it.

tony54

Defensively we are close to the best in the League . going forward we are not. But we now have proved against Arsenal, Leicester and Liverpool - that we certainly have a Foundation in Place. If we get Pogba and Martial going - we should be ok!
More chance of getting a mummie going.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Stopped playing, Tried to protect the lead.
Hasnt worked all season, didnt work again..We never seem to learn. Poor show from Ole.

rpg

Its a big game, so normally them players will raise their game for the big occasion. I wont be surprise if next week they repeat the far less inspiring performance like they always gave past 2 months.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole has only one tactic which is to play on counter attack. When We are given the chance to play that, We often get good/decent results.

But a good manager will always find a solution to this type of play. We can't always play like We are the underdogs. It's almost 2020 and We're playing like a club from the 90's.

Since there will be more teams that park the bus against us than to try and control the match, I feel like this season wouldn't be much different than those under Jose Mourinho. Only that Ole is always positive compared to being negative, which is nice, I guess.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Hopefully ole sees that the 4231 doesn't help the squad we have. I'd keep that formation for now
Agreed on this, we looked pretty comfortable with three at the back vs Liverpool so that is something to build on. The next games i would even like to see a 343

----Lindelof---Maguire---Jones
AWB---McTom---Pereira--Shaw?-
----James---Martial---Rashford

When Pogba is back, slot him in ahead of the MF and move one of Rashford/Martial/James to the bench.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
That was a young team we put out on Sunday, really only Ashley Young (no pun intended) was of any age, Rojo starting was a setback, but initially wouldn't have started. No Matic, Mata, Lingard, Pogba, players that many posters on here would like to see gone in January or the summer, so possibly with Shaw coming back, Martial for Rojo, this could be close to our regular starting 11 right up to the window.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Overall I am happy with the game. Based on all the hype this Liverpool team is getting and how poor we performed the last games I expected them to absolutely dominate us.
However, we were the more dangerous team and while the got the majority of the ball they seemed a bit toothless.

And props to Rashford. For me the most dangerous attacking player on the pitch.

Denis' cuff

People saying the defence was solid.... this was only because the midfield and even forwards defended with them, to the detriment of our attack. Has been this way for years. Our defence is actually shit. We are playing with at least an 9-man defence and wonder why we’re not scoring.

chb23

Thought the boys did really well.

It was an entertaining game, which to be fair is a great change from the past few months. I didn't think ole had much choice in terms of subs given our bench. People need to keep that in mind.

For the quality we have, we did very well. People need to remember we don't have scholes , giggs, ronaldo anymore. Get over it. If we had those type of players on the field then it would be right to expect more but don't expect it from the likes of Fred or Pereira (although I think they did well).

I don't believe ole wanted to sit back, IMO Liverpool woke up and played better and pegged us back. Ole then didn't have much option but to go defensive.

I for one am very happy to have not watched a boring game.

lysglimt

Scout
After seeing all 3 VAR-situations in replay like 10 times - I actually think the ref got all 3 correct (even if Halsey disagrees)

Mane - handballed - no doubt about it
Fred - never a handball

That leaves Lindelöf vs Origi. I actually agree that Lindelöf fouled him, and I thought it should have been a freekick if it hadn't been for the fact that Origi's touch was so poor that he had lost the ball when he was fouled. Origi takes a touch - and the ball rolls away from him, straight to McT - and immediately afterwards Lidelöf kicks him slightly.

So praise to the ref / var-team who got all 3 correct

MrBest

I don't. Point away to Liverpool or City, fine. Beforehand I don't think a point is acceptable in any match.
Again if this was 10 years ago i would agree but look at the state of our team and our latest form. A liverpool big win was on the cards. We are not what we used to be. I would love to be at that point where i would demand a win beforehand but just have to be realistic now.

JG3001

There should be a seperate room for the two of you where you can complain and tear down ManUtd.
Look be realistic, it was an okay performance, showed a bit of fight/spirit, some good individual performances.

Then spent 30 minutes punting the ball upfield with no plan. Mourinho was slated for these tactics, now there’s a section of posters hailing Ole as a genius for doing the exact same.

The reality is the team was desperately clinging on for a point at the end, against a team that was clearly not at the races. The tune in here would have changed in here had Liverpool snatched a second at the death.

One game does not change the situation, and I’ll be more interested to see how we perform in the following matches, as they’ll be the true indicator of the teams/managers ability. I suspect normal service will resume and we’ll be hoping one goal is enough, which is clearly isn’t.

You can call out my moaning as much as you want, but I find the eternal optimists in here cringeworthy.

Josh 76

Stopped playing, Tried to protect the lead.
Hasnt worked all season, didnt work again..We never seem to learn. Poor show from Ole.
Some fans are deluded. You wanted Utd, with all their injuries, crap form, and players who are not good enough to even make the bench, to out play the European Champions and the most inform team in Europe for 90 mins. ?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Look be realistic, it was an okay performance, showed a bit of fight/spirit, some good individual performances.

Then spent 30 minutes punting the ball upfield with no plan. Mourinho was slated for these tactics, now there’s a section of posters hailing Ole as a genius for doing the exact same.

The reality is the team was desperately clinging on for a point at the end, against a team that was clearly not at the races. The tune in here would have changed in here had Liverpool snatched a second at the death.
I think a lot of people are not taking this game as a turning point. These teams are the perfect games for United with the way Ole has them on the counter attack. I want to see how they perform against teams who are more defensive and see if Ole has actually worked out a way to get round it.
I was very pleased with the attitude of the players yesterday, but they still have something to prove to me.
One game does not change the situation, and I’ll be more interested to see how we perform in the following matches, as they’ll be the true indicator of the teams/managers ability. I suspect normal service will resume and we’ll be hoping one goal is enough, which is clearly isn’t.

You can call out my moaning as much as you want, but I find the eternal optimists in here cringeworthy.

fergieisold

Maybe there were times when it wasn't working, but there was a clear plan. James, Rashford and Andreas making clever runs fairly consistently with us trying to quickly transition the ball to them. The performance with the lack of quality we have was a real positive to me and showed we can get our tactics right.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
19:13
Klopp refusing to give United any credit
Come on Jurgen, you were second best for most of the game.

This is more of his interview with BBC:

“We were good enough for a point. We gave Man Utd an opportunity to play the way they wanted to play with five at the back etc. They were hardworking. Our orientation wasn’t good enough. We felt under pressure when we weren’t and could have turned inside at some opportunities.

“We always play against the wall. We need to do better but it is how it is. I don’t think Man Utd can play like this if the other team doesn’t have the ball as much. We play very often against a team like this. Maybe we can do better. One point is completely fine. We carry on.”

He's a bitch, but he has a point. We do always park the bus against Liverpool these days.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why wouldn't we? It was tactically smart for once. If we'd attacked them, we'd have been murdered. Not rocket science.
Of course it was, but says more about the players we had available. They fought yesterday, but it is the next games that will be telling. Our players get motivated for the big games, the next lot are against smaller teams. Let's see if we get the same performances in those games.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why wouldn't we? It was tactically smart for once. If we'd attacked them, we'd have been murdered. Not rocket science.
I agree with you, I was saying he was right about us parking the bus every year against them.

Last time we didn't play ultra defensive against them was probably 14/15.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
the equalizer was a calamity of errors. Most of the match the defense did their job comfortably, Liverpool really never threatened despite all their possession (remember we played like that a couple of managers back). But I was shocked in final 15 mins how unable we were to keep possession. Anytime they lost the ball, they had it back within 10 seconds. We could not keep possession from our own throw-ins. OK, if we want to defend and let them come at us, do it properly. Glad we got a draw but frustrated that this performance in the later second-half is considered ok...it was not. A win would not have changed the fact that we could not even get the ball, never mind keep it, at home.
Aye, we've every right to be disappointed with the second half performance but I feel the context of the result against the best team so far this season matters. If we finally learn from it, start putting some teams away and climbing the table it'll be remembered as a key turning point but if we're still unable to close games out it'll be just another bump on the road.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Encouraging thing was the effort. Also better tactically. Pity about their goal, was just a loss of concentration. But better, better, maybe a turning point?

PaulRich

We had guile, tenacity and spirit throughout which should stand us in good stead for the coming games. As said elsewhere, players with a distinct lack of quality let us down - the rebuild needs to include phasing them out. The international games seem to have done Rashford no harm.

fergieisold

We had guile, tenacity and spirit throughout which should stand us in good stead for the coming games. As said elsewhere, players with a distinct lack of quality let us down - the rebuild needs to include phasing them out. The international games seem to have done Rashford no harm.
There were so many times in the first half where we got into positions that would probably result in goals if we had more quality. It was so frustrating, but also promising in terms of the tactical side.

Sjaakmeoff

What really went wrong. Stopped with the high-press. Gave TAA and AR the chance to get higher up and get crosses in from a better spot.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm very much glass half full after drawing. Yes, everyone expected us to lose before the game so a lot of people probably feel positive about the draw. However, in the cold light of day, this is just another game when we've gone ahead and thrown it away. Wolves, Southampton etc. We keep going ahead and then opening the back door to teams. If we had shown the right level of defensive concentration every time we went 1-0 up this season...

Conor

Do people really not grasp where we are as a team at the moment? How people can still give out about us not outplaying Liverpool for an entire match, having watched us for the last 6 months; it's baffling.

Bestietom

Each time we score we seem to fall back trying to protect our lead instead of looking for the killer goals. We keep getting caught at this with a silly mistake.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What really went wrong. Stopped with the high-press. Gave TAA and AR the chance to get higher up and get crosses in from a better spot.

Aye, it was clear as day and though you expect a natural swing when a quality side such as Liverpool is chasing the game it was disappointing to not only see the deepening and narrowing of our shape but how ragged we looked on the counter. The lack of quality on the ball in midfield was apparent as was the uncertainly of our forwards who too often didn't know whether to stick or twist. Considering Ole expressly said he wanted to see runs in behind it was a shame to see how rarely we got James and Rashford (and Andreas, though the other two have the better pace) running towards goal with the ball in the second half.

Siorac

Clueless fans who doesn't understand football:

"We are clueless in the 2nd half "

Fans who understands football:

"A winning team chasing a goal to level the score will always step it up in the 2nd half".
Fan who actually understands football:

A team defending a lead can still attempt to keep the ball instead of just giving it back to the opponent immediately because that invites pressure.

Zlatattack

Can't complain. We fielded a weakened team and got a point against a team that's won everything so far. With a bit of luck that would have been 3 points.

Does it change much in the grand scheme of things - idk, but for this specific game it's a job well done (all things considering).

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
I was watching Roy Keane pre-match just prior to kick-off, the look on his face watching the United players in the tunnel - priceless.

rotherham_red

They are upset because we didn't get beaten. So now they're livid we didn't win or something.

The squad is thin and low quality they say, but the thin low quality squad shouldn't tire and should score more goals against the league leaders on a 17 game winning run.

It's borderline schizophrenic
I'd argue that they're demented, personally

meamth

Fan who actually understands football:

A team defending a lead can still attempt to keep the ball instead of just giving it back to the opponent immediately because that invites pressure.
Great logic. We tried, Maguire, Lindelof, McT did well, but it's a ticking bomb

Passing around the back 4 and midfield while Liverpool is chasing down, that's suicidal.

There will be time when we are forced to clear the ball. Watch the game again, thank you.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'm still not convinced that Pool are a better side than City despite their much better start. They'd do well to be ahead still come May.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 457 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 0:3 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 0:2 Liverpool