PL L FA Premier League

Liverpool 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 January 2020

RedIan

Hard to see why there is so much hysteria after a defeat by Liverpool. They have won all but 1 game this season (which they drew at Old Trafford.) Thats exceptional going by any standard. Our team is pretty average and poor by the standards Fergie set - but i thought we did ok yesterday with the players we had and who were available. we had chances to equalise, Martial would score that chance 9 times out of 10

When Liverpool went at us for 15 minutes after half time restarted they looked awesome, thats a fact. They could have/should have scored another 2 or 3 goals in that brief spell , we rode our luck for sure. Yet we came back into the game and with better players in the final third who can actually pass and shoot we may well have got a result.

where will we be with Pogba, MctT Rashford fit, plus a couple of signings Bruno Fernandes for one?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This game isn't an issue for me (beyond the obvious of losing against those bellends), its' the other games. We were never really going to win this one. The lack of quality in terms of players, coaching, etc, was on display here but we all knew it would be. There's a gulf in quality here and i have no idea how we're gonna narrow it.

I certainly don't think its going to be under this manager and coaching staff, that's for sure. It's also not going to come from this board, either. We're just so shambolic at the moment that it's hard to quantify how long it's going to take us to get back to where we need to be. When you combine it with those fecks winning he league, it just really nails home how shit everything is at the moment.

big_jeffstar

i watched the game at work and then caught the very end of the commentary on 5live, i thought we were spirited and showed willing, which is more than can be said for some games this season.. there were periods where Liverpool looked like a great team, and periods where we made them look average.. the most shocking thing for me was the absolute drivel being peddled out by the pundits on 5live after the match, it was ridiculous.. anyone would think we just lost 10-0 .. they had one guy on there saying we'd been obliterated in every department for the entire match, said he'd never seen a united team come to anfield and look so poor, clearly he has a short memory as i thought we looked much worse at anfield under mourinho last year.
It's being blown out of proportion, mainly by liverpool fans, we have massive injury issues, the whole Pogba thing rumbling on, and we're at the start of (yet another) rebuild ..of course they were better than us.. we don't have a midfield, and our best striker is out injured :/
personally i think they were just annoyed they didn't beat us by a massive margin like they were expecting, so they're making out like we couldn't get a touch instead.

ManUArfa

Not particularly impressed by Liverpool, City are a way better side. It’s crazy how they’ve struggled this season.

And us? We’re not that bad. Need to replace some players, but we have a good crop, this team has great potential. Let’s not go OOT on judgement, losing to a finished article in this Liverpool team. Ole might not take us all the way but he’s doing some good work here and the fans are not giving him nearly enough credit.

Special mention to Fred, what a turnaround. Super performance in a very tough game.
Hear hear. I was impressed, especially second half, with how we were able to deal with their press with excellent speed of passing and movement right out from the back. Footballing wise we were the better side. Unfortunately that doesn't always get you results....

Had we dealt with the Van Dyk headed goal instead of being naive it could have been a different result.

TRUERED89

Remind me who they dropped points to? ;-)
To us! Does that mean they play shit football? Absolutely not, they're direct, they constantly want to be playing in the opponents half, no bloody dilly dally'ing. They go for the jugular!! Something we used to be!

Infra-red

Could have been 3 or 4 nil at half time. They're just so, so much better than us. When they win their game in hand, they'll have 67 points to our 34. Nearly double. Fecking embarrassing. Well and truly knocked off our perch.

Last edited:

Member 113277

To us! Does that mean they play shit football? Absolutely not, they're direct, they constantly want to be playing in the opponents half, no bloody dilly dally'ing. They go for the jugular!! Something we used to be!
You're right and it's something that we should target and aspire to be!

I was just pointing out (in the sea of pessimism) that we are not as bad a team as some think - more of a work in progress with some key bits to be added.
Against a team who was fully fit, look at the criticism here. What do we expect? We could have had our best ever 11 and would still struggle to beat this team.

We have seen this season, big games we play well, with additions to this team, we can compete.

There is way too much negativity on here.
Well said!

TRUERED89

Could have been 3 or 4 nil at half time. They just so, so much better than us. When they win their game in hand, they'll have 67 points to our 34. Nearly double. Fecking embarrassing. Well and truly knocked off our perch.
Not quite yet, but its becoming dangerously close! they'll be on title #19 come May!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was fuming at our situation watching the match yesterday.
Didn't know why I was so angry when I knew we would lose.
You can't knock our players. They gave everything.
They're simply not good enough.
Kept asking myself "how the feck did we get here?"

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
People need to realise the team we were playing against.
This is a Liverpool team on the top form, even a fully fit Man-City struggle to beat them.
True, but it's still a very clear reminder of our paper thin squad and one dimensional play.

To go into the last 15 mins where they were looking shaky at the back, we could have easily knicked a goal or two.
True, but it's still a very clear reminder of our current status where we're simply trying to 'nick a goal or two.'

Lets be honest, with that attack we had out it was going to be a struggle.
True, and if we don't do some shopping in this window (and I'm beginning to doubt we'll do much) we will struggle for the remainder of the season. I think with Rashford out we can kiss goodbye to any faint hope of getting into the top 4 and any real cup success, I hope I'm wrong though.

cyril C

In open play we did OK, issue with quality of players which I don't want to discuss here. What I have observed, was the 1st goal. 1) Maguire is our ONLY player able to head the ball? 2) Lindelof is useless in the air, so is he suitable for EPL at all? 3) I saw Matic guarding the far post - come on, this was Rafael, Evra and Neville's job, the shortest guy. Is Matic absolutely useless in the air despite his physical build?

During Fergi's era, we had 2 strong CB, plus JOS, Fletcher, on top of striker, able to defend in the air.

Even prior to Ole, we had Smalling, Lukaku, and of course Fellaini, whom we can rely on. Now all get rid of, for small little players who can't head, can't pass, all they can do is run.

romufc

True, but it's still a very clear reminder of our paper thin squad and one dimensional play.

True, but it's still a very clear reminder of our current status where we're simply trying to 'nick a goal or two.'

True, and if we don't do some shopping in this window (and I'm beginning to doubt we'll do much) we will struggle for the remainder of the season. I think with Rashford out we can kiss goodbye to any faint hope of getting into the top 4 and any real cup success, I hope I'm wrong though.
Agreed on all parts. Really, the board should be worried about this situation. I wouldn't even call it a paper thin squad because we actually don't have squad anymore.

Going into the game with that line up, we was always going to need more than 1 goal to even get a result. I couldn't see where we were even going to get a chance from let alone a goal.

We have been like this all year, we have no options. We can't even play a different style because there are no players.

We started the season where everyone was saying James, yet another LM, looking at it yday we didn't have a LM.

UpWithRivers

Its such bullsht we played well. Yeah it looked good but only because Liverpool let us. They were playing in third gear. And the excuses of injuries blah blah blah. Its depressing how we have become the mid table club. When we were actually winners I remember these discussions with opposing fans all the time. Oh you didnt deserve it. If player x had scored we would gave done you. If player y wasnt injured we would have done you.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Agreed on all parts. Really, the board should be worried about this situation. I wouldn't even call it a paper thin squad because we actually don't have squad anymore.

Going into the game with that line up, we was always going to need more than 1 goal to even get a result. I couldn't see where we were even going to get a chance from let alone a goal.

We have been like this all year, we have no options. We can't even play a different style because there are no players.

We started the season where everyone was saying James, yet another LM, looking at it yday we didn't have a LM.
The board should be really worried. Rashford will be a big miss. Who else is going to give us goals? Martial, talented as he is just can't be relied on. Nor can Greenwood really, he's too young with too much to learn and shouldn't be carrying any more expectation than he is already.

Thing is, this was all so predicatable. The clearout was fine but ruined by not bringing in replacements. Squeaky bum time shouldn't come this early in the season but I have a horrible feeling the rest of this season will be about damage limitation. I really hope I'm wrong but I've not seen a shred of evidence to convince me otherwise.

romufc

The board should be really worried. Rashford will be a big miss. Who else is going to give us goals? Martial, talented as he is just can't be relied on. Nor can Greenwood really, he's too young with too much to learn and shouldn't be carrying any more expectation than he is already.

Thing is, this was all so predicatable. The clearout was fine but ruined by not bringing in replacements. Squeaky bum time shouldn't come this early in the season but I have a horrible feeling the rest of this season will be about damage limitation. I really hope I'm wrong but I've not seen a shred of evidence to convince me otherwise.
Without Rashrod we needed a ST, now him missing we really need one ASAP.

Ofcourse it was predictable, no one goes into a season thinking no one will be injured. We have 0 backup in midfield and forwards.

I would rather us get knocked out the FA cup and League cup early because with this squad there is no chance we play 4 competitions when we can barely handle 2.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Credit where it’s due. Liverpool has been several levels above and we should have lost 1:5.
They are just such a well-oiled machine. Maybe not as pleasant on the eye as Real or Barca a few years ago or as elegant as a Pep side but all players are so disciplined, so hard working and determined. Their positional awareness and movement is outstanding and each player has the basic ability to deal with any kind of pass even under pressure.

And in my books the biggest difference by far is the management. Klopp built the team according to his vision and made them all perfectly follow his instructions and ideas.

While overall we are just totally unbalanced I believe there are players who would have the potential to get into this Liverpool team if the spent 2 years there under Klopp.
Players like Fred, Shaw, Lindelof, AWB, Rashford, James, Martial have quite a bit of talent and abilities. But without proper coaching they seem totally clueless apart from single moments of individual brilliance.

Having watched us being so far off the mark really makes me a bit depressive. I am glad to say that everything else in life is quite ok for me right now but seeing the football team I have been supporting for more than 25 years being controlled in that way by our biggest rival still hurts.

Get Poch in the summer. This is my only hope.

Bestietom

A creative midfielder and a prolific forward is what we are short of. Showed yesterday that we could easily have got something from this game.

crossy1686

career ending
Well what he’s saying is legit? He’s questioning the capability of our manager which nobody else seems to be doing because most of them have connections to Ole.
Carraghers stance is bollocks. He’d have sacked Klopp in his second season if he was actually being consistent with viewpoints.

Maticmaker

OK lets be honest, apart from the first ten minutes, up to when Liverpool scored the softest goal imaginable direct from a corner (wasn't even touched on from front post) and the last 20/25 mins, when we had a say in proceedings otherwise Liverpool held our 'feet to the fire' and should have been out of sight by half time. Their two 'disallowed' goals were never goals, one offside the other an 'illegal challenge' or otherwise a barge on the keeper who had both feet off the ground, preceded it. Such attempts on keepers have drawn fouls for nearly 20 years, it is nothing new and only Sourness and the like would doubt that.

Yet we stayed in the game up to the last minute and had two glorious chances, missed by Pereira and Marshall respectively and one or two other attempts on goal that should have troubled Allison more than they did. There is no doubt overall Liverpool deserved it more, but if we are going to play 'smash and grab' offensive play, once we have done the 'smash' bit we have to remember to do the 'grab' bit as well.

Fred and Matic both did well in midfield; in particular Fred who had his best game for us ever! Brandon Williams and AWB both struggled a bit as wing-backs and look much more comfortable in their normal full back roles. Up front we were lost without Rashford and once again Martial showed he has much more menace coming in on goal off the flanks, than trying to play as a CF. James and Pereira covered a lot of ground, but without any product. Apart from letting Van Dyke in for the first goal, our two CB had reasonable games against arguably the best forward three in the country.

Until DeGea is prepared to come a bit further off his line for those balls hovering over the six yard line, we will struggle to defend properly against such as Van Dyke.
No disgrace in performance, but being beaten by Liverpool is never something just to take on the chin.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
problem is, the rhetoric is now "even klopp can't win with this squad"
Exactly. That is one problem that a lot of fans keep promoting. A good manager makes a team play better. We don’t have league one players. Most of our players are top professional and are more than capable of performing better than they currently are. MMM is outscoring Liverpool front three and we have the best defensive fullback in football and England captain in the back. The squad is not as bad as people are making it out to be. Of course it is not good enough to win the title yet, but we should easily be in the top four especially with the current circumstances where Poch is no longer at Spurs, Chelsea has a youthful undeveloped team, and Arsenal massively underperforming.

Foxbatt

Should Dalot have fouled Salah? I do not think it was worth getting a red card at the last kick of the game with 1-0 to them. But do we instruct them to do so in any given situation?

Member 113277

Should Dalot have fouled Salah? I do not think it was worth getting a red card at the last kick of the game with 1-0 to them. But do we instruct them to do so in any given situation?
He would have done well to reach :-) James was keeping pace with Salah and since the rule change a couple of years ago, a genuine effort would have resulted in a yellow card, at worst. The prblem was that James never got into a position to make a serious challenge, due to Salah's pace.

CognitiveNeuro

Gibberish.
How is August to may 12 months?
Ole is powerless with transfers, he's relying on Terrence and Philip to negotiate them, there's a reason every manager since fergie has been thoroughly pissed off.
Guardiola would struggle with this squad, he's had Barca, Munich and city, spending billions along the way but he's struggled with a few key players missing this season.
Yer talking out yer ass mate.
He was appointed on 19 December 2018. Can you count how many months ago that was?

No, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. By not even knowing when Solksjaer appointed as manager, I'm not going to bother wasting anymore time on you.

TheRedHearted

Ref has his right arm up signalling an indirect free kick.
Let's not let the basic rules of the game interfere with a glorious media wank fest though.
6 times, yawn, rent free, unbearables la.........
Shouldn’t an indirect free kick be put on the floor? Allison punts the ball when it’s in his hands. Sorry but I’m not getting if you’re saying the punt was legal or illegal.

big rons sovereign

Shouldn’t an indirect free kick be put on the floor? Allison punts the ball when it’s in his hands. Sorry but I’m not getting if you’re saying the punt was legal or illegal.
I'm saying illegal.
Flag has gone up, pawson is indicating an indirect free kick.
Keeper launches it from his hands.
I'm not saying it would've stopped us losing, but to concede like that after having a go can be devastating for a teams moral.
Pawson like every ref at scamfield recently was pissweak, he gave everything the crowd shouted for including goals that VAR had to pull him on.

big rons sovereign

He was appointed on 19 December 2018. Can you count how many months ago that was?

No, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. By not even knowing when Solksjaer appointed as manager, I'm not going to bother wasting anymore time on you.
I did initially post an argument to this arrogant and frankly immature response, bit I've since decided to change it to something more simple and less tiresome.
Bellend.

Last edited:

Member 113277

I'm saying illegal.
Flag has gone up, pawson is indicating an indirect free kick.
Keeper launches it from his hands.
I'm not saying it would've stopped us losing, but to concede like that after having a go can be devastating for a teams moral.
Pawson like every ref at scamfield recently was pissweak, he gave everything the crowd shouted for including goals that VAR had to pull him on.
BH, you're right. I missed that on the day - clearly an indirect free kick given - from the FA site "the ball must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player "

Pawson was pathetic - I'm going to write to the FA and ask them to clarify why Allison was allowed to punt the ball.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
does Ole's delusion know no bounds? "we took strides forward at Liverpool"... sorry but that's just garbage

Member 113277

does Ole's delusion know no bounds? "we took strides forward at Liverpool"... sorry but that's just garbage
I don't think it is garbage, if one is talking year on year.

The team fitness is better tha last time, the resilience is better than last time and they kept trying to the end.

Is that enough, of course not, there's a lot more to improve, but it isn't a garbage comment.

A garbage comment would have been 'we were robbed' or 'there wasn't much between the teams', IMO.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't think it is garbage, if one is talking year on year.

The team fitness is better tha last time, the resilience is better than last time and they kept trying to the end.

Is that enough, of course not, there's a lot more to improve, but it isn't a garbage comment.

A garbage comment would have been 'we were robbed' or 'there wasn't much between the teams', IMO.
I don't think he meant year on year.. and I don't think we were any better than in Jose's last game in charge where we conceded two deflected goals

Member 113277

I don't think he meant year on year.. and I don't think we were any better than in Jose's last game in charge where we conceded two deflected goals
Fair enough - as it happens I disagree with you, but respect your right to hold your opinion - I guess we all see it different ways.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 83% of 325 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw