PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2021

SplitzMagic

We need to sort this Fred and McTominay situation out. We just can't have both in the team if we really want to kick on and win stuff. Granted they do well but honestly it's like we are missing a player when attacking.

Put thiago in for either of those 2 and we will win a lot more and convincingly as you can't press him and he always finds his man.

I'm not saying they're bad in any way, they do a job but we need someone in there that can control the tempo of the game and make defence splitting passes from deep. Even Lindelof provides better passes and he's a defender.

I guess I'm thinking of something similar to when juve had pogba pirlo and marchisio. it was so balanced.

dal

Funny how we all complained that we weren't challenging for the title less than 2months ago and now we are in such a good position to challenge and people are STILL complaining!

If you'd had asked ANY of us here if we'd take top in January and take a point at Anfield, you'd bite their hand off every day of the week

Come on guys, it's a point at Anfield and we're top of the league, what is there to complain about?

Yes we most likely should have won, but that's Football. If we'd had lost the game you'd be even more upset! Don't even know why you're upset with a draw anyway. Take the point and move on to the next game.
It because, we now too have a winning mentality, Ole’s giving it too us, we kept going until the end we brought Greenwood and Cavani on which is positive.

I’m disappointed with the draw because we had two clear chances but I’ll take it.

Devil may care

If we follow this up with a win against Fulham on Wednesday then this is a decent point, we can't dismiss their home record and it clearly took us an hour to really believe they were there for the taking, we had the two best chances in the game. Not brilliant but another step in our improvement for me in terms of managing these games.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It just reminded me of Lukaku dribbling it out for a throw in. He really has been awful for a while now.
There was a point in the replay where if he laid the ball off to Pogba then it was a first time ball from him into an un-marked Cavani.

That was the game a on a plate in that move.

sparx99

Ah, can we give it a rest with this?

Plenty of teams have played MF at CB and won trophies over the years. Barcelona, City, Arsenal, even United.

Midfielders play midfield because they're good enough to create chances and are quick on the ball, defenders play defence because they can't do that, but any midfielder worth their salt can play defence. Why do you think most defenders started their careers as strikers and end up getting pushed back? You never hear of a striker that couldn't play defence so he ended up being a striker, do you?
We failed to test Henderson against crosses all game. Might have been worth getting Pogba to swing a few in.

Infra-red

Only 34% possession - it would be nice if we offered a bit more in big games, but it's all been counterattacking 'underdog' stuff since 2016.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair result in a largely uneventful game, but it did feel like Liverpool were there for the taking.

City will go top of the league if they win their two games in hand, which I'd expect them to do.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
A vital draw against the best club in Europe in 2019 and of England in 19-20. The dippers, at Anfield!

People are mental if they expected a 0-1 or 0-2.

A solid step towards the 2021 title. It's happening, as long as we don't drop points against Top5-6, midtable and lesser sides.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Actually slightly disappointed with the result, thought we had by far the better chances.
Still too passive at times and gifted Thiago too much space in the first half.
He was barely involved in the second half bar the shot.
McT and Fred were industrial and efficient in their jobs, Pogba was decent.
Just needed a bit more belief going forward.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The CAF summed up in 2 posts. (For what it's worth I agree with @Salus Populi Suprema Lex)

I thought that was small-club, cowardly management by Ole.

Yes, I’d take a draw every day of the week beforehand but seeing how the game was going you bring on Greenwood earlier for Fred or McT and press on them.
Ole got his tactics spot on. We defended so well, limiting Liverpool to a couple of half chances, and we could have won it second half: Bruno had Pogba both had a very good chance. Wasn't to be, but I'm encouraged by that. A year unbeaten away in the league now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You.

This is the attitude I like!
If not for their Gk having a god mode, we could've won by a goal or two. We matched them for the whole 90 minutes. Even in Fergie's era, we had never created so many chances like this.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Goalie ok, defence very good, midfield and forwards pretty average.

Would have put Matic or DvdB on to try and improve passing.

After the first 10-15 minutes, I'd have taken a draw.

After the two chances we had, disappointed to not get the win.

One more game (which we should win) and we're at the halfway mark of the season... top or just behind City.

Say it again, halfway mark, we're top or close and we're disappointed not to beat Liverpool away. Who'd have thought that at the start of the season?

SirAnderson

Henderson saying they were the better team, hell no. They had the first half, we had the second. Draw was a fair result. Who could have nicked the win? We had the better opportunities to nick it.

OneUnited24

Went away to the coalitions and got a point. I’m disappointed as we had the better chances but a draw isn’t a bad result. A defeat really would have killed our momentum so a point is good and I think our players would be more disappointed with that result given the performance - shows how far we’ve come from last season.

i thought ole got it right today. When I saw Linderlof start I was worried but I think he knew the game would need someone who would not be rash and could be calm on the ball

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Could have won this game tonight.

I understand Ole's plan to weather the storm of the first half and get going in the second but we showed far too much respect against a side with no CBs on the pitch, who ended up having a good game without too much pressure until much later on. Letting Liverpool grow the way we did was massively risky but we defended well and they struggled to get shots on target. However it's incredibly frustrating when we constantly try be through on goal within 3 passes every fricking time, hold the ball a little ffs gain a composure and feel yourselves in to the game. Constantly giving the ball away cheaply like we do is not something you can get away with often at the very top level, the decision making from Bruno and Rashford sometimes..honestly!

A draw is a decent result away at Anfield in any season so though you feel we could have won it at the end there, it's a good point that keeps us top until City play their games.

Infra-red

Only 34% possession - it would be nice if we offered a bit more in big games, but it's all been counterattacking 'underdog' stuff since 2016.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair result in a largely uneventful game, but it did feel like Liverpool were there for the taking.

City will go top of the league if they win their two games in hand, which I'd expect them to do.

Gordon S

I`m happy with the point. Solid defensively, but blunt in attack. If only one of our attacking players were in great form we could have won it. We really got closer to scoring.

dal

When the previous managers were here and we lost or drew to a top team it was almost like okay that’s alright, even if we won I was like okay but we aren’t playing good football, it’s a bit depressing.

Now we are playing good football and I don’t feel good if we draw and we are top of the league, I feel alright.

That’s how I want to feel! I haven’t felt like this since SAF left. We are there we need to keep going the mentality is building.

It’s frankly, very exciting.

SirAnderson

Our big guys just didn't do enough. Rashford, Martial, Bruno were disappointing.
Pogba was a bit wasteful as well but he did a bit more than the others.
Shaw was the only one that stood out for me, and maybe Fred did well.
The back needs to get credit for keeping the clean sheet, but man did they make me nervous.

crossy1686

career ending
If not for their Gk having a god mode, we could've won by a goal or two. We matched them for the whole 90 minutes. Even in Fergie's era, we had never created so many chances like this.
Fecking bang on, but this is the kind of angle no one's going to run with. We'll just hear about Liverpool not being good enough up front to put us to the sword.

Saddy

Bruno seriously needs a rest and time for Pogba to get the free role with DVB playing if it's a diamond

If we are going to win the league our front players need to fire because they are looking poor

Shaw was excellent today

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I must have watched a different game. People saying it was Mourinhoesque and they're happy with the draw. We absolutely battered them in the second half and should've won. 2 points dropped for me, eventhough I would've taken a point beforethe game.
I didn't see it as a battering given how dysfunctional were up front. We were much better than we had been and made some good chances but we didn't do enough in possession to control the game, much less batter Liverpool.

Judas

Open to offers
We played with this approach, especially at Anfield under Fergie many many many many times. The narrative that we were always ultra attacking is wrong. Ole got the tactics right today, we wasted the chances to win the game.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Liverpool look so one dimensional. We should have won it with late chances. Top of the league still and a point is not the worst result.

sparx99

A vital draw against the best club in Europe in 2019 and of England in 19-20. The dippers, at Anfield!

People are mental if they expected a 0-1 or 0-2.

A solid step towards the 2021 title. It's happening, as long as we don't drop points against Top5-6, midtable and lesser sides.
City have the games in hand to go top

Kag

I’m disappointed. We were comprehensively outplayed for large parts of the first half and our midfielders were terrible.

I also think this was a wobbly Liverpool team that was there for the taking. Opportunity lost.

If I was a City fan I’d be rubbing my hands after watching that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
People talk like Fabinho and Henderson can't defend. I actually think that they defended pretty well.

hobbers

Shaw was immense, maybe his best ever United performance.

Playing with Rashford was basically playing with 10 men. Awful in game management keeping him on for the 90.

Bruno was really poor but at least he stuck at it.

Hammondo

They are easily the much better team. Their attacking players close control and technique are just so much better than ours.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw