PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2021

Guv77

Defence wins you titles and all that...still top of the league!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
We had the BEST chances.
Liverpool had the better gameplay.
Overall draw and move on.
What was their gameplan? Letting our strikers have the ball on a counter 3v2 or 2v1 and hope their decision making is rubbish? Or count on our two best ballers being unable to put the ball in the back of the net from 6 yards? If so, then yes - worked a treat.

United Hobbit

Didn't mention in my first post but think Pogba was very good, worked very hard as well.

All of the defence were good too, especially Lindelof who I was surprised started over Bailly, Shaw and Maguire too.

We need to get better at keeping the ball when we have it and stop rushing, we did towards the end of the 2nd half and that's when our chances game

I think City win the league

Popcorn

We have come so far since the equivalent fixture last year.

Delighted with the performance, resolute and marginally on top at Anfield. What’s better is that it doesn’t feel like a ‘one off’ like with Mou or LVG. Brilliant.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Even the poor sods over at RAWK admitting we had the bigger chances and they got lucky

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Didn't mention in my first post but think Pogba was very good, worked very hard as well.

All of the defence were good too, especially Lindelof who I was surprised started over Bailly, Shaw and Maguire too.

We need to get better at keeping the ball when we have it and stop rushing, we did towards the end of the 2nd half and that's when our chances game

I think City win the league
Weird way to write United.

sparx99

When was the last time we scored from a cross? Cavani's the only one who's really capable of that, Martial and Rashford aren't
They don’t have to be headers. An attacker moving across the near post like Martial did against City last year.

Doracle

A lot of fingers being pointed at Bruno who had a big chance, but Rashford is the biggest culprit tonight.

Had a simple through ball to play to Cavani and chose to carry on himself, which came to nothing. Overall poor performance from him where he was constantly offside. Should have been subbed off for Greenwood.
Cavani would have obviously been caught. There’s no way he’s got the pace to finish that off. Was the right choice by Rashford as he must have expected to be able to burn Fabinho - can’t believe how quick he was to recover.

Generally, we were the better team in the second half. Shaw MOTM, Maguire and McTominay were immense and Pogba had a strong second half. A shame our attacking passing was just a bit off as we could have taken all three points.

That’s a very strong display against a team unbeaten at home for more than two years. So much to enjoy and be encouraged by.

hobbers

Also shows you where their level is in midfield compared to ours. Thiago made Fred and McTominay look like pub footballers.

We won't be winning league titles or CLs with those two.

Superden

Its wobble head time again for those throwing out insults like cowards. This was a late era (title winning) lord Ferg type performance.

Silverman

Disappointed with the point due to the chances we had but we move onto Fulham on Wednesday

FatherWolff

Feels like I have been running all day! Absolutely knackered after the game. Wow, that was intense. Should have nicked the 3 points, but all in all I’m happy with a point.

Superden

Its wobble head time again for those throwing out insults like cowards. This was a late era (title winning) lord Ferg type performance.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We were miles behind last season, which also ended up a rather odd season, so we are getting there. Still need a better passer at DM, someone for the RW and a prolific goalscorer.

Alek M

Da manic one
Excellent performance. Big takeaway is that we can compete with the top teams.

Our defense was outstanding. Mane and Fabinho barely got the ball. Salah was quiet. Midfield was outstanding to ensure the cover for our defense. Fred Mctominay, Pogba all did well.

We gave them possession and never looked troubled. We were the ones with the two best scoring chances.

Lindelof was outstanding and is better choice than Bailey in these games given his experience.

Bruno didn't have much space to create given their midfield press. Martial was poor. Rashford did create some opportunities but wish he rose to the occasion with a goal.

We deserved to win this one and while disappointed that we lost 2pts, it was be a confidence boost for the lads.

90 + 5min

Defended like best Italian sides in 90s. Liverpool didn't have any clear chances and when could you say that? With little luck we would win. Rashford should have done better in some situations. Otherwise good performence by pretty much everyone. I'm happy.

Still, I read in some places about ref bias towards us. I'm sorry but this victim mentality really doesn't sound normal or suit well. I thought referee was excellent. If something he gave Liverpool little more but nothing to complain about.

Simbo

Brilliant result.
3 points clear of Liverpool and 3 points clear of Liverpool having faced them at Anfield are two very different things.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Defensively, very good. But we are supposed to be this great counter attacking team, and we did not show it today. Couldnt pass the ball at all most of the time. Rashford, for a guy that loves feeding kids hes greedy as feck with that ball. He passes that to Cavani, we are 6 points clear of pool right now. These are all on going trends. And they need to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Make no mistake, Liverpool were there to be taken tonight. Bruno, the man needs a serious rest. Hes been running on fumes for a few games now, and he needs some down time to get the magic back.

BEST No7

Pissed stained cnut Henderson thinks they should of won. Delusional rat.

Scholes_boi

Decent point but we had the better chances I'd say. Shaw and Pogba best players, especially the latter. He's been the man in form as of late whereas Fernandes has been off it. Rashford going too early and also should have passed to Cavani when we had the break. Hopefully it's nothing serious with McTominay.

I do have to say though, what is up with linesmen these days??? They take 50 years to call an offside, no matter how blatent, and they only call it because they get the go ahead from the VAR people. I knew that this was going to be problem with the refs quality going down due to VAR but it was atrocious today. They need to use step and use their brain and eyes because if a player ends up being injured from their lack of judgement then it's going to be ALL on them.

Hester_manc

Before the game and at half time I would have taken a 0-0. But after the second half I am a bit disappointed. I think that Bruno should have scored on this chance, when he is so close to the goal. Pogba could have scored too. Liverpool didnt create one big chance.

crossy1686

career ending
They don’t have to be headers. An attacker moving across the near post like Martial did against City last year.
They were filling the box whenever we got anywhere near it, the only cross that landed was the Shaw one to Bruno. And seeing as we were only playing one CF to find him with a cross is pretty difficult. I don't think crosses would have benefitted us a great deal to be honest. Look at the corners, we barely did anything with them either.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
In the last 30 years I've been watching United away to Liverpool, there was never a single case that "Liverpool is there for the taking", even when they were mid-table.

Kinda wonder, if people are just trolling.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We don't want (I personally don't anyway) want to get too ahead of ourselves.

Take it game by game and ask the weeks and months go on then we can really believing that we can win the title.

Most of us think that us winning the title is just a little joke and we most likely will fall off at some point because the squad doesn't have the quality in depth a team like City has.

We've always had a winning mentality, though I think it's the players that are starting to believe themselves now, there's an air of positivity around the club. Look at how the players reacted this evening (listening on 5 Live they said they all huddled at the end if I remember correctly?) and on previous nights, the Villa game specifically. These players WANT to play for Ole and really want to kick on and finish as high as possible.

Top 3 finish in my opinion, the league is too close to call right now.

It because, we now too have a winning mentality, Ole’s giving it too us, we kept going until the end we brought Greenwood and Cavani on which is positive.

I’m disappointed with the draw because we had two clear chances but I’ll take it.
^ This 100%, sure we could've won, but I'll take the draw over a loss. We'd all be upset if we went guns blazing for a winner and end up losing. Remember 'Some Is Better Than None' !

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Disappointed. They were there for the taking but the forwards didn't get at them enough and Ole didn't do enough either. Took so long to actually get Martial further up the pitch and Bruno a bit deeper. Took even longer to actually get Rashford having a little go at Trent. Feel like we should have taken Fred or McT off at the end and maybe either brought on VdB or kept Bruno on as well.

Point isn't a bad result but it isn't good. I think City will overtake us at the top in the next few weeks whereas a win would have given us a boost at just the right time.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
One thing is for sure Liverpool wont be winning the league anytime soon again. Their X factor is gone and has been since that Atletico defeat.

Little disappointed of the result because United clearly had the best chances. But one point is ok I guess.

Handré1990

We weren’t great, still better than Liverpool mind, and imo, we had two huge chances while they had none. A little disappointed we didn’t win. Shaw my MoM.

Tapori

What was their gameplan? Letting our strikers have the ball on a counter 3v2 or 2v1 and hope their decision making is rubbish? Or count on our two best ballers being unable to put the ball in the back of the net from 6 yards? If so, then yes - worked a treat.
Liverpool's? Better finishing and they score and may win.

James35

I believe City will be top before we play Fulham so we have to do better than today as far as attacking. Rashford really needs to sort his head out, countless offsides and shocking with the ball most weeks and really doesn't like to pass does he. Pogba and Shaw played very well, Bruno had another game way below his usual performances so he will be chsmping at the bit next match, especially after his rant when being subbed. Roll on next match.

Robertd0803

Frustrating. Had the chances to win it but a draw isnt the worst result.

Still top of the league.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win