PL D FA Premier League

Liverpool 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 17 January 2021

city-puma

It’s a little bit disappointing that we can not get three points today. But it’s a reality check that we all know before the match, that we are still lack of some extra cutting edge to win against one of the best teams. But it’s really not to say we are not good enough to win the league. The second half shows we are really competitive!
I hope the team can carry in mind the disappointment from this game and use it as a driving force approaching to the rest of games to get even better.

Wheato

I know we should be pleased with a draw against the champions away, but the Pogba chance for me was 3 points in the bag. So I am disappointed.

Now, where is my Crystal Palace scarf?

"Eagles"

mattunited1978

doommonger
Not bad, defended well...Poor individual performances from our attacking players, need a couple to find there form soon.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Disappointed but not gutted. They were there for the taking. Couple of nearly shots and passes.

Great seeing AWB and Shaw ripping into their flanks.

Bruno?? No idea what’s up

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We need better midfielders to truly push on to the next level, I like Scott and Fred but when we play against the best sides they are often found wanting.

The back 4 except after a shaky start were brilliant.

The attackers had to feed off scraps for most of the game and when you are trying to trigger balls over the top its always very close with offsides and we just couldn't get it right today, saying that the 2 chances we had were the best of the game if Pogba kept his chance low indont think the keeper gets it which is frustrating
Low? He needs to hit it high! Hits that towards keepers face and it’s in.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Whisper this quietly but, was that a resolute performance of champions today? The defence was brilliant.
I know some are saying that we needed to go there and win to show we're up for the title race but I think it was equally important to go there and show we can match them. Job done, bring on the rest of the season.

onemanarmy

In the biggest games, the biggest players stand up.

Rashford today was 2/10
Martial today was 3/10
Bruno today was 3/10

Abysmal from our 3 attacking players.
Martial wasn't a 3/10, don't overreact. He was by far our best attacking players, bar Pogba.

Matt851

Defensively, very good. But we are supposed to be this great counter attacking team, and we did not show it today. Couldnt pass the ball at all most of the time. Rashford, for a guy that loves feeding kids hes greedy as feck with that ball. He passes that to Cavani, we are 6 points clear of pool right now. These are all on going trends. And they need to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Make no mistake, Liverpool were there to be taken tonight. Bruno, the man needs a serious rest. Hes been running on fumes for a few games now, and he needs some down time to get the magic back.
Agree with this

We defended well which is half the job of a counter attacking team but we barely managed to together any passes on teh counter until late in the game. Too often we try one killer pass and it doesnt work

Apart from playing against peak barcelona you generally still need to retain a good amount of possession when playing on the counter and too oftern we cant do this

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Felt like the 3 points were there for the taking, 2 guilt edged chances to win it. But can't be too disappointed with a draw.

Amerifan

Top of table and clean sheet against the champions. How can anyone complain about that.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Pogba and Salah hugging, probably telling each other “see you in Madrid / Paris soon”.

alexthelion

Its wobble head time again for those throwing out insults like cowards. This was a late era (title winning) lord Ferg type performance.
They're just looking for any excuse to have a pop at Ole. Afterall, they've not had many chances recently.

TheBreadTruck

Disappointed we didn't win, which I didn't expect to feel after a draw in the build up to the game!

Feel like the plan worked perfectly, up to the point where we actually finish our chances when they come - starting to be a common trend this season? Pogba and Bruno should be burying those.

I think it's incredibly naïve to think we would have won that game if we played gung-ho from the start, tactics and game management were nailed on today imo.

Superunknown

Martial wasn't a 3/10, don't overreact. He was by far our best attacking players, bar Pogba.
Pogba aside, the rest of our attacking play was utterly forgettable today. It's not like Martial had the best game of his life, either. He had a few nice touches, but never once looked like scoring or assisting.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
But attackers win you game and we can't draw our way to a title. We need to become more clinical.
That's too simplistic. Our attack wasn't the problem today, they never had any chances to even miss. Like we saw when Martial went off with Cavani on, nothing changed at all. The problem is our conservative tactics. We play our creative players too far apart (that's if they're even on the same pitch), and don't provide our attack with enough support.

34% possession, 50% the amount of passes as Liverpool, with 73% passing accuracy shows we don't do enough on the ball to hurt the top teams.

You're right that we can't draw our way to the title, well tell that to Ole then. Vs. the top teams this season: 3 points from 15, scoring 1 penalty. Lost to City in cup, scoring none. What does that say to you? I would argue the pragmatic tactics have been found out.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Funny how we all complained that we weren't challenging for the title less than 2months ago and now we are in such a good position to challenge and people are STILL complaining!

If you'd had asked ANY of us here if we'd take top in January and take a point at Anfield, you'd bite their hand off every day of the week

Come on guys, it's a point at Anfield and we're top of the league, what is there to complain about?

Yes we most likely should have won, but that's Football. If we'd had lost the game you'd be even more upset! Don't even know why you're upset with a draw anyway. Take the point and move on to the next game.
It's almost like fans are fickle, never satisfied goons in the main. :lol:

big rons sovereign

I know we should be pleased with a draw against the champions away, but the Pogba chance for me was 3 points in the bag. So I am disappointed.

Now, where is my Crystal Palace scarf?

"Eagles"
Let's have another Townsend worldie.

Matt851

We cant dominate possession because he thinks its cool to make hollywood passes each time he receives the ball, ever thought of that?
Yeah, obviously he plays risky but he has been a liability in big games this season

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Top of table and clean sheet against the champions. How can anyone complain about that.
I will.

We fecked up two sitters and rashford fecked up by not passing to cavani who would then be 1v1 against the keeper and 9/10 times he'd score from that position.

crossy1686

career ending
I know some are saying that we needed to go there and win to show we're up for the title race but I think it was equally important to go there and show we can match them. Job done, bring on the rest of the season.
It's a great point. I feel like a lot of people in here have forgotten what it's like to go to Liverpool away, we've certainly never gone there and won many times, even under Fergie. If Pogba or Bruno score their chances its a perfect performance.

tjb

Liverpool are only better than us at the moment due to their midfield. Nothing more. Our defence proved themselves and our attack showed they were possibly even more incisive. The difference comes from our midfields ability to retain and regain possession. Our midfielders were constantly passing up opportunities to pass by passing back to our defenders who were tasked with playing balls from a further position. Even when forward passes were made, they were easily intercepted due to how sloppy it was.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good game, edge of the seat stuff. We were close to get a result here, good saves by Alisson. Can't really complain, players really put a shift in. Difficult game, Fernandes was mega pissed off to be subbed off in the end, but that just shows how competitive he is.

It is going to be a really tough battle who wins PL this year, I see us, City, Liverpool, Leicester and maybe even Spurs to battle it out.
Two Manchester clubs and Liverpool. With it to be seen if we can hold on.

Tottenham play Liverpool soon, which I expect they'll manage to lose despite playing well

reelworld

Fred and Shaw as absolutely fantastic for me. Proper performance by them IMO. Shaw just edges it for MOTM.
This matches would never gonna be a match with lots of chances. For those who thinks we should go for it, do you really think that Liverpool would be that easy to beat? This isn't a game against any other team for them, this is against a bitter rival who is at the top of the league. Form goes out of the window, and they would hurt us if we're not careful. And we did have enough chances to win the game. They hardly bother us except for that Thiago shot.
A point gained, I'd take that.

RedIan

Having played Liverpool and city in a short time i have to say City are head and shoulders above Liverpool. If city win their 2 games in hand then they are top Of the league.
we really needed all 3 points today and overall i felt on clear chances we deserved them..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We gave them a lot of respect in the first half, they didn't actually create a meaningful chance all game. We could've won that. On reflection a draw was a fair result. We had some very good and very poor performances.

cyberman

Souness is trying his best to turn this as a positive for Liverpool.
Beat Fulham and watch this misfiring side try to break down Burnley

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a great point. I feel like a lot of people in here have forgotten what it's like to go to Liverpool away, we've certainly never gone there and won many times, even under Fergie. If Pogba or Bruno score their chances its a perfect performance.
We've probably played superbly there about 2 or 3 times in 25 years.

The Juanfield LVG display the last one.

onemanarmy

Pogba aside, the rest of our attacking play was utterly forgettable today. It's not like Martial had the best game of his life, either. He had a few nice touches, but never once looked like scoring or assisting.
I agree, but that wasn't a 3/10 performance though. Rashford one could argue.

tjb

People complaining about our attack, when our midfield were scared to even play out. Mane Salah and Firmino have far more support that Bruno Rashford Martial and Pogba had. Our defence played their role, but when our midfield are too scared and sloppy to play easy passes into the attack, what do you expect?

Superunknown

I agree, but that wasn't a 3/10 performance though. Rashford one could argue.
Yeah, I think that's fair. I didn't think he had an "awful" game, or certainly nowhere near as bad as a game as Bruno and Rashford had. But, I felt that we should have had more from him. He also always seems to be so far away from the box or the action when he gets on the ball. I just want to place him up top and leave him there.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 74% of 459 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 433 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw