FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 3:2 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 January 2021

dal

Shaw was immense in that first half. McTominay had a horror show to be honest. I was honestly amazed at how bad he was on the ball at times.

Good win, decent performance. Still WIP, this team.
What?, Mctominay played very well his distribution was good and he played a key pass to Greenwood which opened up a chance in the first off. Can’t believe this comment.

R'hllor

Should have definitely been a week's ban or so.

It's a ludicrous form of arrogance as if we've been winning the title this last few years.
Well you can always guess why section would say such thing. Similar to that semi final defeat vs City.

saivet

Good game of football and I think we were good value for the win.

I hope this is a sign of us being a bit more adventurous in big games. It feels like Ole was being overly cautious because of what happened vs Spurs, which is understandable. I hope we don't go back to McFred playing together unless it's in a diamond.

dal

What we are witnessing is a change of mentality and I think a change of power. I remember watching city and Liverpool 2 years ago when city won’t it. That game ebbed and flowed back and forward. Liverpool have still got it, no doubt but we are starting to grasp the nettle.

It really is remarkable how just a little bit of swagger and confidence individually can have on the collective, no longer is the ball passed away in a moment of anxiety, all the players now seem to play with purpose and thought.

This isn’t self promotion but I’m so glad I backed Ole and our fans should have more patience especially when we hit a blip soon as we surely will. This is a long term manager let’s stay together even if we finish 4th. He’ll get us there that much I think now is very obvious.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great game! Pogba and Rashford were both immense, imo.

Can't believe they're saying on the BBC that it wasn't a freekick on Cavani. Are they blind?
Even Shearer, who isn't renowned for loving us, said it was an obvious foul.

big rons sovereign

BBC has highlights up, apparently nothing happened before salah's goal and they show all of Liverpool's missed chances but none of United's, basically making it look like Liverpool dominated and United snatched a dramatic win.

Reactions: Jippy

city-puma

What?, Mctominay played very well his distribution was good and he played a key pass to Greenwood which opened up a chance in the first off. Can’t believe this comment.
This perfectly shows how ridiculous we feel when the match thread is full of negative views and one would wonder people are living in several parallel universes.:houllier:

Real Name

What to say lads, I'm so chuffed I cant describe.
What a huge, huge win this is.
We started more brightly and more agressively than at Anfield and ultimately it paid off. The whole attitude paid of and Ole luckily realized Liverpool of this year is not the same as the last year one and that we should attack them and not give them the ball and too much respect. Respect yes but play like we're at home and currently top of the league.
Overall I think we were the better side although they had some parts of the game in which they looked good and dangerous. But it was all in parts and as I said it's just a shade from the last year team. Didnt like how our game fell of a bit after we took the lead, got punished with their goal but luckily we got back into it and should have won with a bigger margin.

As I said in the beginning this is a huge win. For a start its always brilliant to beat Liverpool and in this case to just add on their misery. Its a big win cause I think this win proved we're here to stay and we have definitely made big progress since Ole came. He was criticized, laughed upon, called all sort of stuff even by United faithful, I had some doubts about him but credit where credit is due and I still tink he's not getting it enough. Just to remember the dark days of Moyes, LVG and the last Jose year (even the 2nd part of the season in which we were 2nd) and to compare it to this... Marvelous.

We are definitely back on the map. We may not win the league this year of the FA cup but we're in he mix and I'm sure we'll fight till the end. This team is showing chacter, their confidence is sky high and they're playing for each other and the manager. We finally have a Team. :)

Anywaylong story short, I'm so happy. :)
It's again fun to be an United fan

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ive Heard people complaning about Bruno moving the ball before the goal. BBC tweet feed posted a tweet where someone called him a cheat. Bruno basicallu moves the ball away from goal...dont get what problem is.

Same about second goal, playing from the back is something we are not very good at.

Dont get why people blame greenwood for the first goal.
Like no team ever tries to get an advantage at throw ins, corners ( it’s never in the quadrant) and free kicks. Like Fabinho never blocked one of our players on a counter attack. Like Salah and Mane have never dived for a penalty...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Terrible first half, better second. Needs to be consistent before he can really be a complete midfielder

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Looking forward to the Quarter Final after West Ham when we draw 2015 Barcelona and Manchester City draw Wrexham

dal

If Rashford didn’t play we don’t score!
Exactly we we need a grealish,

Rashford Grealish Bruno Greenwood

I’d pay a shed load to see that attack.

rashford Grealish Bruno Greenwood Haaland Diallo Cavani

that’s what I’d like to see next season with Pogba and martial sold.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I’d pay a shed load to see that attack, add in Cavani, martial and Diallo and that’s is some serious strength in depth.
Grealish would be a title winning signing.
I've watched almost every Villa game this season and he's utterly top class.

He's even popped up on the right every so often, but wide left is by far his best.
I suppose the only against, apart from taking 100m, is that he's not got that top pace we like in our left winger.

dal

Grealish would be a title winning signing.
I've watched almost every Villa game this season and he's utterly top class.

He's even popped up on the right every so often, but wide left is by far his best.
I suppose the only against, apart from taking 100m, is that he's not got that top pace we like in our left winger.
Yes but he can play Bruno’s role, Rashford role, Greenwood role, Pogbas role.

We do not need a right sided signing we need grealish he would utterly transform our transition and general play.

Our key players are Rashford and Bruno if either gets injured we can forget about the title. We need to buy someone who is creative and a goal threat and he ticks both boxes.

wolvored

No idea how these things are recorded tbh but bizarre to be so far off.

Anyhow, the rest of my post is fair game. They get praise based on what they were and not what they currently are. I didn't notice this 'glorious' play tonight and thought we had the better clear openings.
Agreed. Apart from the goals, the Salah chance Henderson saved was the only clear cut chance.

city-puma

We started more brightly and more agressively than at Anfield and ultimately it paid off. The whole attitude paid of and Ole luckily realized Liverpool of this year is not the same as the last year one and that we should attack them and not give them the ball and too much respect. Respect yes but play like we're at home and currently top of the league.
Overall I think we were the better side although they had some parts of the game in which they looked good and dangerous. But it was all in parts and as I said it's just a shade from the last year team. Didnt like how our game fell of a bit after we took the lead, got punished with their goal but luckily we got back into it and should have won with a bigger margin.

As I said in the beginning this is a huge win. For a start its always brilliant to beat Liverpool and in this case to just add on their misery. Its a big win cause I think this win proved we're here to stay and we have definitely made big progress since Ole came. He was criticized, laughed upon, called all sort of stuff even by United faithful, I had some doubts about him but credit where credit is due and I still tink he's not getting it enough. Just to remember the dark days of Moyes, LVG and the last Jose year (even the 2nd part of the season in which we were 2nd) and to compare it to this... Marvelous.

We are definitely back on the map. We may not win the league this year of the FA cup but we're in he mix and I'm sure we'll fight till the end. This team is showing chacter, their confidence is sky high and they're playing for each other and the manager. We finally have a Team. :)

I am sure a lot feeling the same ;):)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As soon as they mentioned it was the exact day of the game in 99 I knew it'd be our day.

pablo__p

redmanx

Even Shearer, who isn't renowned for loving us, said it was an obvious foul.
To be fair to BBC, and I have no love for them, only Ian Wright was saying it wasn't a free kick; even Lineker seemed to think otherwise and he very rarely gives United anything.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great thread, great match, what a satisfying result. Hopefully this fecks them up rightly just as they were bouncing back. Like others I missed seeing the tears and gnashing from that set of teeth with a little man attached.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be fair to BBC, and I have no love for them, only Ian Wright was saying it wasn't a free kick; even Lineker seemed to think otherwise and he very rarely gives United anything.
We can all be fairly sure Shearer dislikes us, as it'd be bizarre if not.
But I never get the Lineker talk.

He's on record for saying he's always had a soft spot for our fans after they gave him a rousing reception having scored against us in his last game in English football.

witchtrials

I’d pay a shed load to see that attack.

rashford Grealish Bruno Greenwood Haaland Diallo Cavani

that’s what I’d like to see next season with Pogba and martial sold.
Top of the league, through in the cup against Liverpool and what you can't wait to see is three players who have never played for us (two of whom probably never will) and two of our best players sold, including today's MotM.

Bondi77

Good post mate.

redmanx

Its always sweet to beat Liverpool, but this was special. United outplayed Liverpool for much of the game and Ole out generalled Klopp! Rashford and Shaw were awesome and Pogba was immense while Maguire was a rock in the centre of defence. DVB was disappointing and didn't seem to get going at all, but everybody else played their part. Bruno Fernandes...what more can you say about this guy? A great win!

Foxbatt

Ive Heard people complaning about Bruno moving the ball before the goal. BBC tweet feed posted a tweet where someone called him a cheat. Bruno basicallu moves the ball away from goal...dont get what problem is.

Same about second goal, playing from the back is something we are not very good at.

Dont get why people blame greenwood for the first goal.
yes they are right. The ball must be put on the exact spot the foul was committed. It cannot be moved even a mm. The same with throw ins. Of course they are just idiots to say so. No one knows the exact point where the foul was committed. Not even the ref.

Judas

Open to offers
McTominay didn't have a good game, I think to put him in that position against Liverpool was a brave decision, which we just about got away with.

VDB was average, a big chance for him today, and he didn't really grasp it again for me. But he'll get another chance I'd expect in the next round and the Europa League.

Bruno just makes things happen, and I love what he's brought to the club in the year he's been here.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
McT was at fault for the goal and he literally almost never passes forward, usually some safe crappy 5-yarder back or sideways. He's not good enough for the position and it is obvious.

He also got dispossed plenty of times. I honestly feel we'd be rocking with someone like DvdB in McT's position because he'll inject tempo and ball retention to complete this team.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw