FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Manchester United 3:2 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 January 2021

Corey

It’s completely baffling, he went right through the back of him. Very clearly a freekick.
Yeah I agree. It' was such a blatant free kick that I wondered if the BBC told Ian Wright to play devil's advocate purely to try to stir up some controversy.

Handré1990

Amazing win! Feels sooo good :D We deserved it, and several players put in an impressive display. Had a great feeling when I saw it was on the anniversery of Solskjær’s winning goal against themin 99.

OneUnited24

Never noticed but why is Robertson screaming at Greenwood when he took his shot - did he really believe that would work ? :lol:

croadyman

Very chuffed to knock the scousers out but will need to defend better than that to avoid dropping costly league points

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Thrilling game of football, neither team deserved to lose! Stunning performance from Rashford, Pogba was awesome, both full backs were great, Bruno was top class off the bench as well. Free kick was made out as a contentious call but for me it was perfectly fine, and the real call was may be why Fabinho didn't get a 2nd yellow for it. Anyways, huge boost in morale for the team, let's use it going forwards to continue our streak in the league.
:houllier:

We were playing Liverpool, of course they deserved to lose.

The Oracle

What a difference a week makes...

Last week v Liverpool in the league
- Pogba misses a great chance late on to win the match
- Rashford kept being offside and was generally poor
- Bruno played one of his worst games for us

Then the magic begins...
- Pogba scores the winner against Fulham in midweek
- Rashford scores against Liverpool in the FA Cup
- Bruno scores the winner against Liverpool with a sublime freekick (past the 'Best keeper in the World'), and puts Utd through to the next round.

I take my hat off to all 3 of them.

Well done lads

Achilles McCool

Yeah I agree. It' was such a blatant free kick that I wondered if the BBC told Ian Wright to play devil's advocate purely to try to stir up some controversy.
Has the replay vid been posted? @GifLord

Ive been trying to see a replay of that foul on Cavani as well as the Fred vs Fabinho replay...

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
What can I say? We actually looked like the better side for much of that match. As usual, though, that isn't enough for United, especially against Liverpool, and we had to do things the hard way.

Defensively, we were actually fine for the most part, but the defensive errors made this match much closer than it should have been. Salah's first goal was down to our back line playing on their own instincts. Lindelof was slightly out of position on the left, and he broke our defensive line in anticipation of Firmino's through pass. Unfortunately, Shaw wasn't in sync with Lindelof, and Salah was put through on goal. I'd put the blame on Lindelof for not maintaining his composure and falling back into his instincts.

The 2nd goal was something similar though more of a team-wide issue. After we scored the 2nd goal, we dropped deeper in fear of losing the lead, and that gave Liverpool's midfield more time to pick out their options. The fact that our back line were so worried about Salah meant that Firmino got more time and Milner got more free runs. It all culminated in that one goal kick where we looked fine until Cavani misplaced his pass. After that, we didn't really recover into our shape as everyone was basically ball-watching. That, to me, was a sign of the team not necessarily feeling too confident, and it showed even more when Liverpool took control of the match. We could barely keep the ball, and we were giving more space and time to Liverpool on the ball. After a 10-minute spell, though, we gained our confidence back, and we were growing back into the game, which brings me to our attack's review.

Honestly, this attacking performance was one of the best that I've seen this season. We dealt with Liverpool's press very, very well, and our courage in playing out from the back helped us big time in exploiting Liverpool's defensive vulnerabilities. What was especially good was how we recovered possession from their longer through passes and then quickly transitioned to the attack after passing the ball around the back. Pogba and Shaw, in particular, were excellent in this regard, and whenever Donny got touches on the ball, he dragged Thiago out and created tons of space for our midfielders and wingers. The quick, sharp passing from the flanks allowed us to play around their press and create tons of space in the middle. Pogba and McTominay were also very good in handling Liverpool's press and forcing them to drop back, thus allowing us to build up our attacks. When we did build up, we did a very good job of creating half-chances from the wider areas via good runs from Cavani and the wingers. Pogba was also influential with his passing, and our full backs did a good job of retaining possession when the ball did go backwards. There's a reason we kept more possession than Liverpool, and it's thanks to the composure on the ball from the back line and our midfield. We probably would have done more had we given Donny more touches, but we still did fine with Shaw, Rashford, Greenwood, and Pogba.

Overall, this was a very good win, even if we did make hard work of it. My only worry is that we can become slightly complacent against Sheffield United on top of the usual game-by-game fatigue. We need to up for it against them as they won't make things easy for us.

Maccataq

Apart from the obvious foul from Fabinho which could have been a 2nd yellow; very little was made of the first yellow, I don't even remember a replay but had Greenwood not been fouled, he would have been in on goal, or so it appeared, and so it looked to deny a goalscoring opportunity - was I missing something?

Red & White

Yes! Get in there! Well done, lads. Haven’t felt this great about the team since the great man left. A fantastic win.

Even when it was 2-2 I didn’t feel as nervous as I have the last few years as you’re petrified it’s just another false dawn and it’ll all end it tears. The performances haven’t been this consistent in a long time and it really is starting to feel like something good could be on it’s way with this team.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Don Hutchinson?! You can hear the volume in his voice start to rise as he gets riled up. :lol:

Listening to these ex-Liverpool players clutching for straws right now is very funny.

Can a loss be a win..? :p

redmanx

We can all be fairly sure Shearer dislikes us, as it'd be bizarre if not.
But I never get the Lineker talk.

He's on record for saying he's always had a soft spot for our fans after they gave him a rousing reception having scored against us in his last game in English football.
Maybe I'm biased....I can't stand Lineker lol!

redmanx

yes they are right. The ball must be put on the exact spot the foul was committed. It cannot be moved even a mm. The same with throw ins. Of course they are just idiots to say so. No one knows the exact point where the foul was committed. Not even the ref.
What about Liverpool retaking a free kick because the ball was moving? They took it from at least 8 feet from where the original kick was taken from and the ball was still moving! Nothing said about that on BBC, and what was the ref doing allowing it? Nothing said by Klopp about it either of course.

Morpheus 7

Don Hutchinson?! You can hear the volume in his voice start to rise as he gets riled up. :lol:

Listening to these ex-Liverpool players clutching for straws right now is very funny.

This is crazy, there is biased and just delusion. Espn are a joke.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Comedy wummery from the presenter there.

Hoof the ball

We conceded one goal and almost a second from the same ball between Shaw and the CB.

0:41

4:51

And Salah's 2nd goal at 3:49. God only knows how Pogba saw Milner completely free next to him and simply gave up tracking the runner!!

ICHM

Ian Wright, rubbish pundit and commentator.

Well done lads, good performance, next time try to keep the ball and defend.

city-puma

Its always sweet to beat Liverpool, but this was special. United outplayed Liverpool for much of the game and Ole out generalled Klopp! Rashford and Shaw were awesome and Pogba was immense while Maguire was a rock in the centre of defence. DVB was disappointing and didn't seem to get going at all, but everybody else played their part. Bruno Fernandes...what more can you say about this guy? A great win!
At least in the box, VDB was always able to find the really nice space and position. At the moment, the other players do not really realize that and pass the ball to him. I think it a chemistry issue. When he gets more games, I am sure we will see many goals from him. But, he still needs to get better in the intensity and the physical part of games.

city-puma

McT was at fault for the goal and he literally almost never passes forward, usually some safe crappy 5-yarder back or sideways. He's not good enough for the position and it is obvious.

He also got dispossed plenty of times. I honestly feel we'd be rocking with someone like DvdB in McT's position because he'll inject tempo and ball retention to complete this team.
I think the first goal Lindelof was disappointing. The second goal, cavani’s flip was the issue and Lindelof didn’t help either.

arthurka

The Shaw of the First Half™ might be in contention but Shaw of the Second Half™ was, well, a bit shit. I mean we shouldn't praise our left-back too much when their right-sided forward scored a brace and could have had four.
This.. Not his best game by far.
Great win though.

thebelfastboy

We can all be fairly sure Shearer dislikes us, as it'd be bizarre if not.
But I never get the Lineker talk.

He's on record for saying he's always had a soft spot for our fans after they gave him a rousing reception having scored against us in his last game in English football.
That was my first ever home game at old trafford. If I remember correctly he scored a typical lineker goal and was then subbed off with about 10 minutes to play and received an impressive standing ovation from everyone in the stadium.

Listar

Again we conceded early. This can’t go on. We will be in trouble if we keep doing that when we come against good teams like Liverpool.

Scholesgoals

Oh my god my sides

"At 2-2 only one team could win it and that was Liverpool"

"BUT YOU LOST THOUGH!"

Hahaha

Houdini

Exactly we we need a grealish,

Rashford Grealish Bruno Greenwood

I’d pay a shed load to see that attack.

rashford Grealish Bruno Greenwood Haaland Diallo Cavani

that’s what I’d like to see next season with Pogba and martial sold.
That minus Pogba he is vital now. Also add Sancho if the price is up to 60mils.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We must be setting some kind of record for coming from behind? I thought 98/99 or 12/13 was ridiculous but this is literally mental.

croadyman

We must be setting some kind of record for coming from behind? I thought 98/99 or 12/13 was ridiculous but this is literally mental.
Yeah that is very true but certainly need to stop conceding the first goal and hopeful this will improve as confidence continues to grow.

croadyman

Yeah that result has definitely rattled a few cages whether it be Hutchinson, Jenas or the usual suspects like Burley. The fact they are all bitter about this free kick makes it all the more sweeter.

redmanx

The media are and always have been very biased towards Liverpool. In Mondays Mail some idiot is going on about the extreme effort Liverpool have put in the last 3 years which has lead to them being "tired". Bless. United put the same effort in, and more over 20 odd years, winning 13 Prem titles amongst an incredible haul of silver ware; but of course, United are not Liverpool, the medias darlings.

redmanx

What we are witnessing is a change of mentality and I think a change of power. I remember watching city and Liverpool 2 years ago when city won’t it. That game ebbed and flowed back and forward. Liverpool have still got it, no doubt but we are starting to grasp the nettle.

It really is remarkable how just a little bit of swagger and confidence individually can have on the collective, no longer is the ball passed away in a moment of anxiety, all the players now seem to play with purpose and thought.

This isn’t self promotion but I’m so glad I backed Ole and our fans should have more patience especially when we hit a blip soon as we surely will. This is a long term manager let’s stay together even if we finish 4th. He’ll get us there that much I think now is very obvious.
The silence of the Ole Outers is deafening!

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw