PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:4 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 May 2021

always_hoping

Postponement worked hugely in Liverpools favour tonight. They were fully tuned in where their need to win was greater. United the opposite not at the races at ALL, error prone which included a number of goals gifted to Liverpool.

The 3rd goal especially after half time was poor school boy defending.

Wing Attack Plan R

That was painful to watch. Not just the fact we had trouble stringing two passes together but also the fact we played like strangers to each other. Chaos reigned.

Henderson is not fit to clean DeGea's boots.

Bailly needs to go on loan somewhere and learn how to play football.

Fred is a joke.

The rest of the team was merely awful.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Puts the effort and performance from the lads on Tuesday in perspective. I don't think they genuinely would have been worse then that sorry excuse.
They had something to play for: to prove a point when they get a rare chance to play.
Today the players had nothing to play for. I would also prefer if the players cared as much as the fans that Liverpool don’t get 4th or just beat them because it’s Liverpool. But they don’t.
Hopefully a wake up call for the final and for the board that we need to do something in the summer.

bsCallout

Even as a McT fan you can't claim Fred is the one that needs replacing. Fred really does have that horribly bad error in him but his contribution tonight otherwise was a level above McT.

hobbers

Abysmal from almost all of them.

Fred and Shaw - Total embarrassments today. Fred especially, hideous performance.
Rashford - goal aside he was awful today, like he has been for much of the last few months.
Bruno and Pogba - Lazy, miles off the pace with the ball, shit decision making, too many fancy flicks to no one. Pogba might as well have a kip on the half way line when we dont have the ball for all the good it would do.
Bailly and Lindelof - Spineless pair who are incapable of playing at this level without having their hands held for 90 minutes
Henderson - not a top keeper and never will be. Handling atrocious. Experiment over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Desperately missed Maguire. You have to laugh at people who thought Bailly's new contract was a good idea, he's just a mess of a defender.

A lot of players had off nights tonight, but the ones who you expect to play poorly did. We can't be starting that midfield two in the big games next season, its just not good enough.

Gifted them CL football and just fecked off.
Maguire is our best defender by a mile. The rest all need a certain partner to not look terrible.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maguire's lack of presence in the back four impacted the result in a big way. He's very clearly undervalued on here.

Bailly is reckless and Lindelof isn't nearly brave enough to be a PL central defender.
Harry does a lot of talking as well. It is worrying.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So frustrating losing a game by gifting the other team goals, especially when it happens 4 times. The fact it’s Liverpool makes it 10 times worse.

Acquire Me

So many individual mistakes. We didn’t turn up. Liverpool did and got paid for the effort.

Judas

Open to offers
We're clearly not signing 2 starting calibre CBs this summer, so why make an area of weakness depth wise even weaker than it currently is?
Because even as a backup I don't really get the point of him. He's fine, but a liability who loves to get injured. He's just too all over the place for me personally.

eire-red

Their CB pairing was Phillips and Williams, so can't really use the Maguire excuse.

Midfield not good enough, and Rashford is lost on the right. Same story every time we play a big team with our "best 11". No balance, and can't keep possession.

A CB and a couple midfielders needed in the summer. All in all, this game was way more important for Liverpool than us, and not surprising with that schedule we've lost two on the bounce.

OLLY ORANGE

Started fairly brightly and then totally down hill from there.
Concerning that management took so long to move Pogba and Rashford.
Baffling

SER19

The only positive is definitive proof that some players aren't good enough to start for us if we're serious about a title challenge next year. Not bad players but not good enough

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Woeful. Inept. Shoddy. Sloppy in midfield, shite in defence. Poor keeping to boot. Every time Rashford doesn't start up against Trent and Rhys Williams on the left an angel dies. Liverpool were trash and yet deserved winners.

MattyB1986

This game highlighted our weakspots, no certain number 1 gk, no world class CB, no world class CDM.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Henderson should warm up the bench or be sold in the summer.
McTominay has no place in a top 10 midfield. Fred should follow soon after.
Our defensive coach(es) needs sacking. We've conceded 3 goals in 2 games from set pieces.
Rashford should not play if he's not on the left.

But above all of that GLAZERS OUT!

Irrational.

Those protests look superb now don't they. Cost us 2 home defeats, and let Liverpool into the top 4.

Brilliant effort lads.
Watch out, you’re going to be slated for that by the resident lionhearts on here.

I agree with you: that protest killed off our momentum, and the postponement leading to the fixture congestion making us play 3 times in 6 days ended any chance of us winning this fixture. Great timing by the top reds.

NK86

Also, definitely need a right winger, CM, CB this window. Bruno looks knackered and has hit a rough patch unfortunately, but we don't have anyone to replace his output so we keep playing him.
The team definitely needs work but what is with our set piece defending. Whoever is in charge of it, should be fecked off pronto.

OrcaFat

Few things turn the stomach like a loss to Liv. Ugh. Week ruined.

Makes me puke.

Our players did look a bit awol mentally, not sure how much they really cared about this one.

I think just having all these games together was going to lead to some disintegration.

Shiva87

Very poor from the players that. And Dean Henderson had a poor game to say the least.

That's DDG back in soon enough I guess

croadyman

Defensively we look a shambles without Harry and surely this makes alarms bells ring bloody loud in Ole's head about signing a CB to partner him

Teja

We keep re-learning this lesson against Pool every time we play them it seems. We try to play it out the back when their full court press in on and get ourselves into dangerous situations. After conceding a few big chances or worse, goals, we decide to play direct and counter press and that usually works pretty well.

The problem is that Liverpool aren't City. They are pretty vulnerable to just playing it direct and counter pressing. Putting everyone in your team under pressure by playing it out against a team that has 8 players in your half is just crazy especially when you have two workhorses in Fred / McT in the midfield.

Siorac

Rhys Williams and Nathaniel Phillips.

Before someone points out that our poor defence was the reason we lost the game. No excuses. Theirs was worse.
Yup, this. We lost because we were under pressure the whole game. Because we couldn't pass the fecking ball.

Midfield is a big problem.

Edy2

I don't know what to say. In complete control for the first half hour and then completely capitulated for the middle half hour. The game was lost in that period. The midfield 2 and defense were bad beyond belief. No service to the forwards and constant squandering of possession.

We had a lot of these types of performances early in the season and I thought we've turned that corner but here it is again.

Drizzle

Also, Rashford scoring will take some of the heat of the criticism off him, but it shouldn't. Sometimes Rashford is criminal in his workrate off the ball. When you see Cavani, Bruno, even Pogba pressing and then Rashford isn't following their example, it's frustrating as hell.
It's clear something is up with him. He looks unfit and uninterested. Unhappy actually. When he does get the ball he tries the same old playground tricks and I get the feeling he knows they're not going to work but he can't be arsed doing the hard work of looking up, changing direction, working out other options.

The goal showed him at his best - quick, simple, direct.

Statue of Limitations

That Liverpool defence was really there to be got at, their keeper is a bit crap too, feel we threw this one a bit and let them off the hook.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Desperately missed Maguire. You have to laugh at people who thought Bailly's new contract was a good idea, he's just a mess of a defender.

A lot of players had off nights tonight, but the ones who you expect to play poorly did. We can't be starting that midfield two in the big games next season, its just not good enough.

To be fair I think most people found Bailly getting a new contract jaw dropping, especially when all the rumours were that Ole wanted him gone. He bloody will now.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So frustrating losing a game by gifting the other team goals, especially when it happens 4 times. The fact it’s Liverpool makes it 10 times worse.
Out of 4 i'd say we gifted them 3 goals. Yes you can argue all of them were defensive errors but nearly all goals are defensive errors but 3 of them were school boy errors. How hard is it to clear the damn ball ?

Wing Attack Plan R

Even as a McT fan you can't claim Fred is the one that needs replacing. Fred really does have that horribly bad error in him but his contribution tonight otherwise was a level above McT.
Yes, you can. Fred was shit. At times McTominay wasn't helping the attack but he wasn't also actively undermining everything we tried to do, like Fred was.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Harry does a lot of talking as well. It is worrying.
It really is worrying.

The loss of one central defender should not affect proceedings as much as it did tonight. We need a partner for Maguire as much as we need Halaand/Sancho/Kane/whoever.

I pray he's fit for the EL final, otherwise, we're in trouble.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Guess the difference is Liverpool was playing for something that mattered to them whereas we didn't give a shit about the outcome ? It was quite a bizarre game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watch out, you’re going to be slated for that by the resident lionhearts on here.

I agree with you: that protest killed off our momentum, and the postponement leading to the fixture congestion making us play 3 times in 6 days ended any chance of us winning this fixture. Great timing by the top reds.
Yep, all very irritating.

Can only hope the Glazers amazingly instantly start whopping cash in, and we don't have this sh1te boring on into next season every week.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

And they missed Virgil van Dijk, thats no excuse.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Out of 4 i'd say we gifted them 3 goals. Yes you can argue all of them were defensive errors but nearly all goals are defensive errors but 3 of them were school boy errors. How hard is it to clear the damn ball ?
The third goal I was genuinely seething. We’d done the exact same thing in the same match and already seen them score from it. We just don’t learn.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

You and the guy you're quoting are the sort of people who have allowed the Glazers to leave the squad and the facilities in a state where we're so far behind.

So kindly piss off with this short-term nonsense.

Leg-End

The EL final will be about who scores more based on our defending tonight without Maguire. I don’t fancy our chances.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 229 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 14% Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool