PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:4 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 May 2021

Crustanoid

The Glazers need to support us to plug the obvious gaps in the first team to help us get a squad capable of challenging City.

Ole is also not blameless and needs to learn from this and change his approach.

Just gave? What planet are you on? The title was won two months ago and as for the Liverpool UCL thing? That’s not our agenda and nor
Should it be. It was a match that we should have performed to Utd standards and simply won it because they are pretty hopeless. Whether they were fighting relegation or a top 4 spot is irrelevant. We go out to win
City won their title with our loss against Leicester, and we just resurrected Liverpools Champions League hopes with our loss yesterday. We weren't up for it in either game. We didn't have any bite against Leicester or Liverpool. So yeah, we pretty much did our best to roll over.

TrueRed79

Sad fact is that their players wanted it more than our players.
Yeah, you could see it a mile away. They were quicker all over the park and in my opinion when you have a team that's much more hungrier for the 3 points and have the quality to hurt you, this is what you get.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Is it confirmed we will keep second place even if lose our remaining games?

theklr

Gave them a fight, but then gave them a few goals.

No wonder given its the first real game without Harry, it takes time to adapt to that - just like Liverpool has struggled with massivly much of the season.

Yes - they have even shakier defence, but they had time to adept , we didnt.

But man , so many stupid mistakes - Fred playing out against the best counterpressing team in the league??

And for once Pogba should have been in the double pivot from the start. Game didnt suit him at LW since it was so much back an forth.

The only positive thing with this game is that it made it abundently clear our need for a top class CB and/or DM. I really hope Ole and the team sees this if there were any doubt before.

And yeah, our mistakes of the past of giving long term contracts to CB's we shouldnt strikes again..

Josh 76

Yeah, you could see it a mile away. They were quicker all over the park and in my opinion when you have a team that's much more hungrier for the 3 points and have the quality to hurt you, this is what you get.
Utd were mentally tired too. Preparing for 4 games in a week is not normal. All the normal preparation and training goes out of the window. Where as Liverpool had a good week to prepare. I knew this was going to be a major factor as I said I would take a draw at the start of the match. Not looking into this match too much. If Liverpool think they have turned the corner after wining this game, good luck to them. They have major issues themselves.

phenry

Those protests look superb now don't they. Cost us 2 home defeats, and let Liverpool into the top 4.

Brilliant effort lads.
The protests and the success getting the training contract cancelled have been superb. They will have made a big impact without disrupting our season objectives. Minimum collateral damage. Im delighted we were shown up against the dippers. We're a good team that's had a good season but we're clearly not good enough for the top with the likes of mcfred and no RW. If that doesn't spur on a bit of investment and get us a few badly needed upgrades then I don't know what will. Big congrats to the protestors for me. No sarcasm included

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Still disgusted by the performance of some individuals last night. We are a tired team and reliant on Glazer allowing the club spend a bit more of its earned money to catch up with City.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
Let's not over think this! We are relatively two well matched teams (which is a huge positive step for us this season) but they had much more motivation in this game given we are almost guaranteed 2nd and they are fighting it out to get 4th. We might not like it but that difference in motivation is enough for a 2% swing in performance and 2% down for us and 2% up for them, they were always more likely to come out on top.

It's not worth any worry or negative thoughts - 2nd place and Europa league winners will be a huge step forward for us.

Maticmaker

Forget the fact that it was two games over two days, we 'shipped' 6 goals, with two supposedly WC keepers both 'in play'.
When under pressure, and without Harry Maguire, our defence looked like a colander.
We did well for twenty minutes, then someone somewhere threw our 'stupid switch' and Liverpool took over.
Glimmer of hope when Greenwood came on and at least we escaped a thrashing, but lets be honest by then Liverpool just 'game managed the rest of it.
Any player can have a bad game, but Fred takes some beating and its the same mistakes every time. Fred and McTominay (who did rally somewhat halfway through second half) had their deficiencies cruelly exposed at times, by a half strength Liverpool midfield.

What else was common over both matches, was that both Leicester and Liverpool wanted it more than we did! If Ole is still kidding himself this team has the old United spirit then he needs a talking too!

Lux Thunder

Was too furious to write about the game right after. This game showed us all our weaknesses, very well played by Klopp to identify and exploit it, I hope the coaching staff and recruitment will notice and address these going into next season. Shouldn't be overreacting cause we all knew it very well before the match ( McFred technical ability, set pieces, Maguire absence ), we saw Ole often exploiting Pep's weaknesses and they didn't have to all of sudden change players/manager/coaching staff. Having said that, I don't mean that we are squad-wise close to City quality, of course, but we don't become a very good or very bad side overnight.

Absolutely chaotic how we deal with set-pieces, not just with an initial cross but also to clear the ball out of the box after. For the second goal, we were organized in a pretty high line to deal with a cross, given our problems with this, and also that made it a lot easier for TAA to pick a target. Annoyed how we stuck with playing out of the back as it clearly didn't work for us given their quality press and our technical deficits. Should carry on with a more direct approach to test their defense, their CB's aren't world beaters and their full-backs are more often high up the pitch. Yes, we will give a ball away playing long, but that's better than losing it in front of ours ( third goal ) and will give us more opportunities to press them at their half and change the focus a little bit. Apparently, in a bad game like this, where not a single our player had a good day in office, we managed to score 2 goals ( with xG 1.7 ) what shows how fragile their defensive unit can be.

Overall, furious more about fact that our rivals came here and want it more than us, despite motivation and league table standings. It hurts.

Betson

Still can't get over how dominate they were for moist of the game last night and a real reality check for where we really are in the peaking order , when teams like City and Liverpool turn it on we are nowhere near their level and we need to face those facts and act on them or it will be a continuous circle of also ran league finishes and early champions league exists.

Despite all we have spent on the squad we are still so short is so many areas when it comes to real quality.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
They could well have been jaded and not up for it the same as Liverpool, but the match showed us a few things.
Hendo is a decent keeper but not yet good enough for a title chasing side.
Dave is a must for the Europa Final.
Maguire on crutches is a better bet than either Bailly or Lindelof against Villarreal.
Fred....he tries but his passing and shooting are abysmal... if he stays he can't be a regular next season.
No way Rashford can play on the right. Diallo would have been a better choice last night... play Greenwood there in the Final in Gdansk.
Has there ever been a more frustrating player than Pogba ? I guess we will have to live with it as I can't see anyone coming in for him pre season.
This can't be a serious post. DDG start the final? Play an injured Maguire? Diallo start? Pogba frustrating? You are correct on one item and that is about Fred. Try again.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Only if they beat Chelsea and Spurs, far from a given.
And we don't win 1 of our last 2 matches. Chill people. We have all but secured 2nd. Does anyone really think LC will not drop any points?

Giggsy13

Probably already been stated in the midst of knee jerk reactions but 3 games in 5 days. Shit loss but let’s put things in perspective. We’re a good team with a light squad that’s been stretched all season. The scousers have barely showed up all season and played this like it was a cup final because they aren’t in any finals. Finish 10 points more than last season and win Europa. That is progress and a good season post-Fergue.

Giggsy13

Still can't get over how dominate they were for moist of the game last night and a real reality check for where we really are in the peaking order , when teams like City and Liverpool turn it on we are nowhere near their level and we need to face those facts and act on them or it will be a continuous circle of also ran league finishes and early champions league exists.

Despite all we have spent on the squad we are still so short is so many areas when it comes to real quality.
Its not a reality check at all. We have beaten city and the scousers this season, so clearly we have quality in this squad. This was their cup final while we actually have a cup final coming up in a few weeks.

peridigm

Sad fact is that their players wanted it more than our players.
Appears that way doesn't it.
Ole could have played the stronger team against Leicester and probably got 3 points from that match.
Played the reserves against Liverpool and had a worse score line that the first team did but we'd be 3 points better off.

It was a gamble and one that should have had a better outcome given the quality of our first team. Same story though, we've been shit against the top 6 all season and generally at home as well.
This group has some kind of mental block. Not sure what it is but when some of the players are off their game, they're way off. I can understand a single player having an off day but 3, 4, 5 or 6 it becomes something else.

Glad we secured top 4 a few days ago. Hope we still finish 2nd. Ole needs to bench Cavani and Rashford until the final. Rashford especially. He looks like he's carrying something heavier than a knock or fatigue.

Hughie77

Forget the fact that it was two games over two days, we 'shipped' 6 goals, with two supposedly WC keepers both 'in play'.
When under pressure, and without Harry Maguire, our defence looked like a colander.
We did well for twenty minutes, then someone somewhere threw our 'stupid switch' and Liverpool took over.
Glimmer of hope when Greenwood came on and at least we escaped a thrashing, but lets be honest by then Liverpool just 'game managed the rest of it.
Any player can have a bad game, but Fred takes some beating and its the same mistakes every time. Fred and McTominay (who did rally somewhat halfway through second half) had their deficiencies cruelly exposed at times, by a half strength Liverpool midfield.

What else was common over both matches, was that both Leicester and Liverpool wanted it more than we did! If Ole is still kidding himself this team has the old United spirit then he needs a talking too!
Agree, said as much yesterday and was disagreed with, this game showed our deficiencies without Maguire and the Foxes game showed how much our squad needs to improve, hope all the errors were done in that game.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Horrible feeling the season peters out with nothing to show for all the improvements this season, which prompts all the negativity and Ole out rubbish at the start of next season. More so if we have the same rubbish window as last summer….

It’s just so bloody disappointing.

Lux Thunder

Maybe risky and I may be wrong, but given how effective was their press I would like us to switch to 3-4-1-2 with possession /5-3-2 out of possession.

Get Pogba closer to the ball in a double pivot with Fred, move McTominay on the right of back three and we could have use of extra man in the build-up. Then if Firmino decides to engage to create 3 vs 3, we should bypass the press as that opens a vertical passing line to midfield. Then one of their midfielders will have a decision to make, joining the front 3 in press or not. If he decides to go for it, with their full-back high as they prefer, that leaves Cavani and Rashford 2 vs 2 against their CBs with Bruno between lines and a lot of space to exploit.

Out of possession, engage our full-backs to mark theirs. They can get numbers ( 4 vs 3 ) by Firmino dropping deep as he prefers but I'm ok with that as long as we have 5 vs 4 in the backline. With Pogba closer to the action and Bruno doing what Bruno knows best, we could have a better transition also once possession is retained.

Further adjustments: sub in Greenwood for Cavani to add more pace up front and possibly ( Baily's injury ) switch Shaw to LCB and bring Telles. I think this is something that the squad would find familiar with, but maybe I got it all wrong. I doubt it could be much worse than it was actually. :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm still pretty amazed we conceded 4 goals at home to them having scored first. The Leicester loss will be with an asterisk when looking at all these home losses, but this was such an implosion, and unlike against Spurs, we had 11 men and almost at full strength.

Tapori

We played well; really well for the first 10-20mins. Then it all fell apart from 30 mins onwards.

However, throughout, we know Fred's poor performance but my days, for me it was Scott and Marcus and Dean too. I'll explain:

Marcus has to do better in many of the times he was released; yes he scored and nearly got a 2nd and our 3rd but if he was and played as the outlet, he all too often chose wrong decisions on the counter or in attack.

Scott; We needed his Leeds performance at OT and we got a shaky, muddled and poor performance on the ball. Had so many opportunities to play the ball over the top into spaces and through the lines down the channels, between lines et al, and instead had too many poor first touches, poor in possession and safe balls.

Henderson; a couple of fantastic saves but the header for from Firminho; I'm sorry, you have to do better as it's on your near side. Get a hand at least and I can give you that you're beaten by power but his hands were nowhere near that header.
The 3rd - well everyone has said it.
The 4th - Harsh, but no, as a world class goalie I saw a lad lost here; didn't control his box, backed away, increased the options for Salah and allowed Salah to dictate.

Salah was always favourite to score but Henderson simply didn't make it difficult enough; and that's what you want to see. Stand up, control and dictate where you want Salah to go, close the angles down and make yourself big. He did the exact opposite.

What is more damning is that we were facing a back four of 2 youngsters and didn't trouble them nearly enough in that 2nd half.

Our problems in this match stemmed from that McFred midfield which unnerved our CBs; so many options to move the ball across our front 5 and around the pitch and what I saw was a lack of reading of the game and vision to spot some excellent space and runs from our full backs and advanced players in channels and off the back of their CBs and between the lines.

CBs; where on earth has Bailly's and Lindelof's passing forwards gone?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 229 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 14% Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool