LC W League Cup Third Round

Luton Town 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 22 September 2020

Listar

Why are people saying Lingard had a good game? He keep losing the ball with his dribbling and passing, always turning back to defense when he should run on and had a mare with his shots. He was part of the reason of our low quality attack. I feel VDB had a better game, made better chances and had better shots.

I can't see if people are being sarcastic or genuine with Lingard anymore.

buckooo1978

Quite an evenly matched encounter for the first 75 minutes

only Mata, Fred, Matic and VDB looked above Luton's level..... Suppose Bailly/Maguire were OK too

Mata MOTM based on some lovely touches but he's never been able to dominate games. Just makes some really nice contributions. He linked up well with VDB I thought but he did the same with Fernandes before Lockdown too.

Thought Rashfords goal was fantastic one touch play and hopefully an important goal for him in terms of confidence - very tidy from Fernandes and Greenwood too

our main problem remains.... WE HAVE NO QUALITY IN WIDE POSITIONS

norm87cro

Didn't watch the game but there is no point in praising or bashing the lads in these types of games where the opposition isn't good enough and its basically injury free job done.

Gordon S

Think it`s worth adding that Luton is a championship team on a 8 game winning streak. They are probably a notch better than most of thought

Baneofthegame

We were lucky to be up 1-0 at the end of the first half, couldn’t watch the second as I had to be up at 2:30am for work.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Why are people saying Lingard had a good game? He keep losing the ball with his dribbling and passing, always turning back to defense when he should run on and had a mare with his shots. He was part of the reason of our low quality attack. I feel VDB had a better game, made better chances and had better shots.

I can't see if people are being sarcastic or genuine with Lingard anymore.
Lingard was good in the first half, our best IMO. Most of your criticisms did start happening in the second half though which is why I think he's a bit lucky to be winning the MoM poll.

Enfant terrible

Baily > Upamecano
Harry > VVD
Obvious as daylight

If he stays fit, that 's a CB pair we need to play as much as possible

Banana Republic

Useful minutes for a number of players after the short/non-existent pre-season, even if it was a struggle for a large portion of the match.
AWB, Matic and Fred started training late and haven’t played until this fixture.

There’s something different about Lingard. The body language is different, he looks more serious about the job and he’s finally making an effort and working hard, even if the end product and shooting was poor.
Has he finally grown up and realised his career at Utd is close to being cut short?
Sorry Jesse, it’s a bit late in the day. He still has to be sold.

Great link play up for Rashford’s late goal.
I’ve criticised him elsewhere on the forum and still don’t think he’s as good as other think he is, but his short 10 minute cameo saw a return to his best form, although it was against some very tired Luton players.
Rashford needs to play more up front, rather than playing up and down the wing, where his lack of ability is exposed too often.

With Ighalo looking leggy and sluggish, we need another striker.
Rashford could then be rotated along with the other front players, rather being an automatic starter in every game.
It should keep the forwards on their game if managed well and help us cope better with the heavily congested fixture list and injuries.

Grande

Think it`s worth adding that Luton is a championship team on a 8 game winning streak. They are probably a notch better than most of thought
Thanks, I didn’t know that actually, turned the commentaries off and haven’t followed the Championship lately.
The other day, I saw most of our games against York City in the league cup in 1995/96 (don’t ask why). Wonder what they wrote innthe Alex out thread on the Caf that day. It was a two game shitshow, we lost 3-0 at home with a team comparable to this, and went out after fielding our top eleven in York with a 3-4 aggregate score. Only Schmeichel played well, and Scholes to a degree. Giggs, Bruce, Pallister and Cole looked like Conference players. I was angry back then, I remember, but not shocked or particularily worried. It is normal for makeshift teams to struggle and look bad against a well prepared minion gunning for glory.

if Bruce/Pallister vs York is anything to go by, Bailly/Maguire vs Luton was a world class combo!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What's clear is that the squad isn't deep enough. We could have been embarrassed further had it not been for Hendo,and the subs and the fitness and quality they brought.

Lingard played well as did Bailly and the latter has to start over Lindelhof.

Williams is not a LB and still has the tendency to give the ball away in dangerous positions and fail to use his left in decent crossing positions. His tenacity and speed gets him out of trouble though but he is a RB.

MrEarl

Quite an evenly matched encounter for the first 75 minutes

only Mata, Fred, Matic and VDB looked above Luton's level..... Suppose Bailly/Maguire were OK too

Mata MOTM based on some lovely touches but he's never been able to dominate games. Just makes some really nice contributions. He linked up well with VDB I thought but he did the same with Fernandes before Lockdown too.

Thought Rashfords goal was fantastic one touch play and hopefully an important goal for him in terms of confidence - very tidy from Fernandes and Greenwood too

our main problem remains.... WE HAVE NO QUALITY IN WIDE POSITIONS
Couldn't agree more. Nothing wide up front and only defense in fullbacks. We are not going to add offensive fullbacks and it certainly doesn't look like we are going to add wingers. So it seems to me the choice is between playing low quality wingers or four high quality central midfielders out of the six we have. That would mean playing two of Marial, Rashford, and Greenwood upfront. It's a way to get width and quality with depth.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What's clear is that the squad isn't deep enough. We could have been embarrassed further had it not been for Hendo,and the subs and the fitness and quality they brought.
I dunno, that header was the only chance they had (and I thought it was a bit of a foul on Matic with the two hands into the back that let him win it in the first place)... other then that we looked entirely comfortable and they never really looked like causing us much trouble.

Inigo Montoya

I dunno, that header was the only chance they had (and I thought it was a bit of a foul on Matic with the two hands into the back that let him win it in the first place)... other then that we looked entirely comfortable and they never really looked like causing us much trouble.
Comfortable is not the word I'd use. There was a long period in the first half where they consistently outpassed us. It would only have taken one of those crosses to find a player and we'd have been in trouble. Added to the fact that Maguire and williams consistently gave the ball away, too many high balls into nowhere...

Yes we should have scored early with the possession...but comfortable it most certainly wasn't

bsCallout

I think people are a little confused with the depth arguement. We need a couple no doubt but depth is the ability to bring in 1 or 2 due to injuries etc.

Depth isnt the ability to play a completely different second 11 and still look like a top 4 team.

I think a LB, CB/CDM, RW are all still important. I think a change in formation could be as effective as a great back up.

Lets say Greenwood is out. Then why not play 442 diamond? Matic, Pogba, Fernandes, VDB in midfield. Both Fernandes and VDB are great at joining the attack.

Bailly should be no1 CB until we get a new one or Mengi makes a big step up.

AWB needs to keep being told to try and attack because he isnt bad at it at all when he gets going.

Telles would be great because Brandon isnt good enough yet.

Matic is worryingly still so important.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Comfortable is not the word I'd use. There was a long period in the first half where they consistently outpassed us. It would only have taken one of those crosses to find a player and we'd have been in trouble. Added to the fact that Maguire and williams consistently gave the ball away, too many high balls into nowhere...

Yes we should have scored early with the possession...but comfortable it most certainly wasn't
They had that one spell in the first half and the beginning of the second where they had the ball, but they never really did much with it. I dunno, just never felt like we we're going to concede as all their decent stuff came before the final third.

Overall we were justifiably ahead and should have had one or two more before the subs came on.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think for the first time in my life, I was so bored that I gave up after 70 mins and went to bed. That first half was unbelievably awful. Could not break down a team that almost dropped into League One last season and was not even in the league a few years back. I agree with those saying we were never in danger of losing but wow it was bad.

I thought we were told that players need more game time, so why were some of them on the bench until late on? Sorry but once again, I have to say that we will struggle to get top four (no chance of a title tilt) and that Ole just isn't up to being United manager

SWest73

If second goal would have scored in Premier League in front of full Old Trafford that would have been a contender for a goal of the season for many years. Now I think it will be overlooked as it won't get too much exposure because it was 'only' Luton in Caramba Cup in an empty hayfield.

Withnail

I don't understand this type of view. The fact that they had some possession when we were 1 nil shouldn't really worry anyone especially as it was our second string team short on match fitness.

They never laid a glove on us and at no point was I worried about the result.

This was basically a fitness exercise, as it was the first game many had played in over a month, and it's job done.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's a cup tie. Plenty of teams have "moments" but they never really threatened us consistently, just had a bit of possession. Worse teams than Luton have caused us problems, think back to Rochdale at Old Trafford last year!

I thought we handled it pretty well without ever getting out of 2nd gear until the big boys came on.

BigBebe

I was totally baffled by the lineup last night.

We looked totally off the pace against Palace at the weekend. Why did we 'rest' so many players?

That was our second game and we had no preseason to speak of. We play Brighton at the weekend in what will be their fifth competitive game of the season. After that we play Tottenham then they are off for 2 weeks. How are our first team meant to get match fit?

Ighalo has played a part in both games. With all due respect to the guy, he should be an impact sub for us, it is Greenwood that we need to be match fit. I have a sneaky feeling that Mason wont be picked for the internationals so we should be getting him game time.

Pogba and Martial weren't even on the bench so Pogba goes into the Brighton game with 67 minutes of unconvincing football under his belt.

But hey, Lingard played the full 90 minutes, lets get him fit.

I know we have a tough season ahead but that does not excuse leaving our first team under-cooked.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For those saying how good Luton are etc like was mentioned in the match day thread, this was their second string. They made 8/9 changes from their regular starting 11.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Started brightly, even Lingard looked like he could play football for about a quarter of an hour, then ran out of ideas and passes went astray.

Defensively looked more solid, Bailly can ran faster than a snail unlike Lindelof.

Were never really threatened though apart from the save by Henderson who had nothing to do.

Rashford Greenwood and Bruno changed the tempo and game over

Got the correct score!

Baneofthegame

They had that one spell in the first half and the beginning of the second where they had the ball, but they never really did much with it. I dunno, just never felt like we we're going to concede as all their decent stuff came before the final third.

Overall we were justifiably ahead and should have had one or two more before the subs came on.
Wasn’t this a Luton side with 8/9 changes, think there was a period where they had 70% possession for 15 mins, can’t comment on the second half.

goatboy

Rashford and Greenwood took their goals well and I thought Fred did ok, other than that the main take away for me is how consistently we ignore the opportunity to gain momentum during a match and instead go back / sideways allowing the opposition to fall back and erect a new wall that we then struggle to break down.

If we're going to rely on speed then why on earth do we turn down the opportunity to run at pace against defenders so regularly?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I don't know how Lingard got MOTM, he moved around well but Mata was easily the best player on the pitch. Overall we were disjointed as expected and it took Msson, Rashford and Bruno to kill off a second rate team. Best just to count it as a pre-season friendly to build fitness.
Mata got MoM on BT. Greenwood on MUTV. Lingard was distinctly average, so at least consistent

Inigo Montoya

The excuses for a lame performance is baffling! That some think it was comfortable and we were in second gear is a vilification of where this club is right now

Gavinb33

The excuses for a lame performance is baffling! That some think it was comfortable and we were in second gear is a vilification of where this club is right now
These games are meaningless really if you win you are expected to if you don't its the end of the world.

Rochdale gave us a game last year, Burton and Crawley in the cup before to sometimes at Old Trafford as wel, we are through the end as far as I am concerned.

Play that way against Brighton we'll be in trouble but that's a different story

Withnail

Are you just looking for reasons to get annoyed?

Comfortable away win in potential banana skin fixture and squad players who we may need at the weekend got some minutes into their legs. What's the problem?

Gator Nate

They outpassed us because the squad we had on the pitch was defending space for the most part, but Luton did nothing with all those passes. Once it got close, we cleared it out, and every one of our back four did their job in that area. I really only felt nervous two or three times, only to watch it get cleared with no real threat.

When we do play like that - and we do so frequently - I'm usually looking for someone to take it away and run, having cut off a pass or capitalized on a mistake, and I'm seldom disappointed. We just didn't finish anything yesterday (save the first-string subs).

Inigo Montoya

Are you just looking for reasons to get annoyed?

Comfortable away win in potential banana skin fixture and squad players who we may need at the weekend got some minutes into their legs. What's the problem?
Maybe I am. The general malaise around the club is getting to me and maybe I’m not seeing that performance in its context.

Guaranteed I’ll feel better if we beat Brighton

Steven-UK

Lingard played well as did Bailly and the latter has to start over Lindelhof.

Williams is not a LB and still has the tendency to give the ball away in dangerous positions and fail to use his left in decent crossing positions. His tenacity and speed gets him out of trouble though but he is a RB.
Just wow, Lingard was dreadful - as per usual, and probably wouldn't even get into Luton's team.

The whole team were woeful until the subs; that was not a penalty either, it was dive by Williams, and the truth is we were lucky we didn't get embarrassed (might have been a blessing if we had been...)

Gandalf

Maybe I am. The general malaise around the club is getting to me and maybe I’m not seeing that performance in its context.

Guaranteed I’ll feel better if we beat Brighton
The malaise is interesting. We went unbeaten in 14 games to end the season and steal 3rd place and it is fair to say there was quite a buzz building. It shows how fragile our confidence is that it has melted away so quickly, the comedown of failing in a winnable Europa League match and a poor opening game to the season explains some of it but it really has to be down to the board. We finally had a springboard to push on and it is now shades of 2018 when Jose overachieved in getting 2nd and then got sold down the river by not being backed in the transfer market. VDB is Fred in this scenario and Telles is our Dalot substitute, meanwhile Sancho and the new CB we badly need won't be signed and with the moves our rivals are making we will be lucky to get the last Europa place and can look forward to replicating Spurs trips to Plovdiv etc. This club really does test you.

Maticmaker

We did what we had to do against Luton last night, ok it took us longer than it should but Luton were up for it and quite a few were 'leaving their 'foot in' far too often, poor refereeing on that score.
Some good 'cameo's' from; Henderson, Mata, Donny, Greenwood and Lingard, who at last looks interested anyway!
Matic makes a hell of a difference when he's in the team, he's the one the club should be concentrating on finding a replacement for!

GMoore23

We'd have taken points from the Palace game if Matic and Fred were in midfield.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 200 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Luton Town 0:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Luton Town 0:3 Man Utd