PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 November 2018

UncleBob

Didn't think we played bad. We managed to attack them for a good part of the game, not many teams can do that. City of course on another level at the moment.

I think we need a David Silva kind of player to bind our attack and midfield more together. Our attempts are usually from not so dangerous areas.
Not sure which match you're talking about

Ventura

As one of the most difficult games of the season, if not the most difficult, this is not the defeat we should be most worried about. The next few games are winnable though and we need to win all of them.

ravi2

Wish Pogba played. If he did we would have won imo.
Yeah right... we would have still lost. Pogba is good but he cant carry that whole team by himself.
City didnt have their best player (KDB) and they completely outclassed us in every department

FattyFooty

Can we just all agree that Fellaini isnt as trash as people think?

Wish the rest of our players had your attitude.

Edit: And after seeing this game, maybe some of them should had some of your passing too.

nikineil

Helps when you can foul as much as you like with no consequence.
I can't believe this hasn't gotten more love. I mean yeah, it was bad enough we didn't have our talisman and couldn't pass for toffee in the first half. But the amount of fouls they got away with was obscene! Especially given it was fairly obvious the strategy was going to be counterattacking. Rubbish referee and linepersons. Missed so so so so many glaring decisions, it seemed he was like Oliver holt also..

Ludens the Red

This 'manner of defeat' nonsense fecking does my head in. City ARE that good. If United had been 'brave' like some numpties on here want we'd have comfortably been hit for 6 like Southampton with a back 4 like we have and De Gea on an off day. I dont see what people expected from this season yet Woodward plain refused to invest to fix this squads.

Feck I wish JM would resign/be fired. So that we can get 'a brave attacking manager' and garner some right tonkings for some of yall to get it......
Agree with you. I mean what were people expecting. I get that it’s shit losing to them but ffs what did people think would happen, especially once that line up was out.
Someone said it in the match day thread that the line up today was a mid table line up. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Young, Smalling, Lindelof, Matic, Lingard, Fellaini. That’s more than half our first team today, it’s pitiful.
Shaw, Martial and Rashford aren’t quite there yet either but they have the potential at least.
The big issue is why has it been allowed to get to this point? Where this is the state of our team.

Getting angry over today in isolation and whining about taking the game to city, mourinho tactics etc is nulled because that team today was a mid table line up, simple as. Literally not a single one of those players would make it into the teams of the current top 4.

Mourinho hasn’t covered himself in glory but at some point you need to long beyond the manager and look towards he board and those running the club. The shambolic transfers, the shambolic contract situations, the shambolic scouting.
At the moment those completely trump what we’re producing on the football pitch.

nikineil

Very disappointing, but the writing was on the wall once we saw the starting line-up. Once you set up like the underdogs, to contain rather than to win then you are asking for a rogering - and that is exactly what City delivered. Our luck finally ran out.

Fellaini our best player. Matic, Young, Herrera, Lingard all atrocious. Disgraceful. We were pressed and bullied off the park, and you can see the exact thing happening once we play Arsenal or Liverpool.

DDG's distribution was crap, and beaten at the near post for the goal is kind of unacceptable.

Match ratings:

DDG: Crap - 4

Young: Was butchered by their left side - 4
Smalling: Lucky not to concede a pen, panicky in possession - 5
Lindelof: Poor -5
Shaw: Subdued - 5

Matic: Get out - 2
Herrera: Shambolic - 3
Fellaini: Best of a bad bunch - 6

Martial: Toiled - 5
Rashford: Disappointing - 4
Lingard: Anonymous - 3

Jose: Cowardly tactics but subs were appropriate - 4

Anthony Taylor: Fecking wankstain should be investigated. Bald prick was set on not punishing Fernandinho or any of their players. But did give us a barn door pen - 1

City fans: Olé-ing, shell suit wearing, foul mouthed wankers.

In conclusion, City much the better team and thoroughly deserved the win. Every player runs their socks off and they're so good at nicking the ball. They are a class above, and maybe Moyes was right. That is what we need to aspire to. I suppose I'd rather them at the top of the league than Liverpool.

I long for the day the oil empire crumbles and City meet their demise. I won't hold my breath though.
I would agree with every single word in that post! Sums it up perfectly @Irrational.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Putting todays match to one side, negative goal difference at this stage of the season is a really difficult one to explain away. Hugely concerning

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Putting todays match to one side, negative goal difference at this stage of the season is a really difficult one to explain away. Hugely concerning
That is the thing that is most concerning as you say. We are conceding far too many goals. Would one CB change that? No.

Patrick220571

One team looks like its had a billion pounds investment while the other looks like its had a billion drained out of it,its a systematic failure from Utds perspective that expectations have been lowered and thats largely down to the Glazers running of the club and Woodwards disastrous football making decisions regarding managerial choices and the dismal recruitment! no wonder we are 8th!!!!!
£400 million spent under Mourinho and £250 million under Van Gaal.

You don't spend that amount of money to be 8th in the table. Mourinho cannot be excused for that, regardless of the shortcomings of the Glazers.

Reactions: SteveJ
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Its pretty easy to explain. We didn't invest in our defence like our manager asked and the result is there for all to see just like he warned! But to some ob here its just a 'matter of coaching' that the likes of Young or Smalling supposedly lack that is the issue:lol:

Last edited:

minoo-utd

Jose asked only for one C.B but sorry after today's we need to replace both CBs and also a RB that is so obvious.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Its ironic how this place has gone in to meltdown, abusing the manager left right and center. Yet the fact is, if he had been granted the funds to sign the quality experienced defender and one other that he asked for this summer, we'd never have let in 2 of the goals we did today and at worst would probably have drawn 1 all due to De Gea's clanger...

DomesticTadpole

Jose asked only for one C.B but sorry after today's we need to replace both CBs and also a RB that is so obvious.
Nevermind a RW, CM and to be honest a CF who doesn't look like he needs to go to Weightwatchers. So we also need to shift a lot of players off the books to make room for new signings.

DomesticTadpole

Its ironic how this place has gone in to meltdown, abusing the manager left right and center. Yet the fact is, if he had been granted the funds to sign the quality experienced defender and one other that he asked for this summer, we'd never have let in 2 of the goals we did today and at worst would probably have drawn 1 all due to De Gea's clanger...
Not sure that we won't have to sign a new goalie as well.

iKeano

Jose is clueless.
£175m of his signings on the bench,
His £500k a week freebie on the bench.
Another £30m signing not in the squad.

Far too many bang average players in the squad that think because they’ve made it to Utd, they’ve ‘made it’, and have seemingly retired from football.

No doubt City are streaks ahead of Utd and there’s no shame in being beaten by the best, if you’ve competed. Being beaten by anyone, when you’re a team full of apathetic millionaires that really don’t care about Man Utd, managed by a clueless dinosaur that doesn’t care about Man Utd, governed by a board that doesn’t care about Man Utd... that’s what boils my pi55.

Fluctuation0161

Yep. They targeted our weak links. and we have a few of them. Jose was right - we needed more players over the Summer. No wonder he was annoyed.

minoo-utd

Nevermind a RW, CM and to be honest a CF who doesn't look like he needs to go to Weightwatchers. So we also need to shift a lot of players off the books to make room for new signings.
Clear out and spend wise. But do we have the people who can put a right plan?

Ronaldo's Love Child

. Yet the fact is, if he had been granted the funds to sign the quality experienced defender and one other that he asked for this summer, we'd never have let in 2 of the goals we did today and at worst would probably have drawn 1 all due to De Gea's clanger...
Perhaps not-who knows ! What I do know though is that our team should be coached well enough to be able to beat teams like Brighton, West Ham, Derby, Wolves and not forgetting we nearly lost to Newcastle and Bournemouth.

The scary part is that these lower tier Premiership teams aren't at the stage of the season where they increase their desire and productivity because they're facing a relegation battle. Fast forward to April and May and matches against teams like Huddersfield, Cardiff etc will be completely different propositions than they appear on paper at the start of the season.

I'm an armchair tactician but can't help being SO frustrated with our seemingly drilled tactic that De Gea boots the ball up field nearly every time he gets it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its pretty easy to explain. We didn't invest in our defence like our manager asked and the result is there for all to see just like he warned! But to some ob here its just a 'matter of coaching' that the likes of Young or Smalling supposedly lack that is the issue:lol:
Why didn't we spend 50m on a centre back instead of a midfielder we don't use?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Everyone was shit. Fellaini was marginally less shit then the rest, Martial had one decent piece of play & scored the pen, Lukaku did well to win the pen. Solid -1 / 10 for Matic. Absolute mare.

Most annoying thing is they shit their pants when we pulled one back, why we didn't start pressing the shit out of them is beyond me...

Unagi :drool:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very disappointing, but the writing was on the wall once we saw the starting line-up. Once you set up like the underdogs, to contain rather than to win then you are asking for a rogering - and that is exactly what City delivered. Our luck finally ran out.

Fellaini our best player. Matic, Young, Herrera, Lingard all atrocious. Disgraceful. We were pressed and bullied off the park, and you can see the exact thing happening once we play Arsenal or Liverpool.

DDG's distribution was crap, and beaten at the near post for the goal is kind of unacceptable.

Match ratings:

DDG: Crap - 4

Young: Was butchered by their left side - 4
Smalling: Lucky not to concede a pen, panicky in possession - 5
Lindelof: Poor -5
Shaw: Subdued - 5

Matic: Get out - 2
Herrera: Shambolic - 3
Fellaini: Best of a bad bunch - 6

Martial: Toiled - 5
Rashford: Disappointing - 4
Lingard: Anonymous - 3

Jose: Cowardly tactics but subs were appropriate - 4

Anthony Taylor: Fecking wankstain should be investigated. Bald prick was set on not punishing Fernandinho or any of their players. But did give us a barn door pen - 1

City fans: Olé-ing, shell suit wearing, foul mouthed wankers.

In conclusion, City much the better team and thoroughly deserved the win. Every player runs their socks off and they're so good at nicking the ball. They are a class above, and maybe Moyes was right. That is what we need to aspire to. I suppose I'd rather them at the top of the league than Liverpool.

I long for the day the oil empire crumbles and City meet their demise. I won't hold my breath though.
Spot on. The point about nicking the ball is what impressed me about them so much. They were phenomenal at nicking the ball in a 1v1 duel. It must be the the countless hours they have in training against each other. Their amazing dribblers bring that defensive skill out of you

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We just didn't have technically brilliant players like Abu Dhabi had in central areas today. Our only midfielder who had the capability to bang with them was injured. I'm not gonna blame Mourinho's tactics for this loss because if we had gone toe to toe with them then it would've got really ugly for us.

We need to get rid of quite afew players from the first 11 and bring in some genuine quality to replace them. At the moment we have players starting for us that would struggle to get into the first 11 of teams outside the top 6.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The fact we signed Fred had no bearing on the lack of CB's. It's not that we ran out of money, the club just vetoed the CB's the manager wanted

donkeyfish

Disappointing, but far from reason to be hysteric. We're not good enough to consistently challenge the top sides, especially away.

Annoying how we gift them goals. It's difficult enough as it is to play this type of team. Until our players make fewer individual errors we won't have a team capable of a title challenge.

Roboc7

Even if we had all our players fit the plan would be park the bus, stay in game, then bring Fellanin on and hoof it. That’s our level, despite all the time and money spent. The manager is taking us in the wrong direction, we aren’t playing the same game as any other top side.

Other than the penalty we didn’t create a chance, that’s pathetic no matter how good City are. Twelve games in and we deserve to be where we are in the table, we looked every inch a midtable team today and have down for most of the season.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Man City 3:1 Man Utd