PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 November 2018

Sterling Archer

He could've gone high pressing with midfield of Herrera, Fred, Periera/Mata and front line of Sanchez, Martial, Rashford.
Why did he pick two statues in midfield against the most mobile midfield in the PL?
He had the tools to press and play a different football and if we lose we lose but don't act like we didn't have options. There was only one team trying to win the game.
Newcastle had more shots at Etihad than we did I was reading somewhere.

So you're basically entrenched in relpacing Fellaini and Lingard.

In contrast to your feelings , Fellaini played ok and Herrera deserved replacement after giving the ball away every other touch of his.

But you can't compare the way you have .it doesn't translate like that

Xaviboy

They destroyed us and gave us a lesson in football. Kills me to say it but city were a joy to watch. We didn't even have a go at them. 1 shot on goal and that was the peno. My god. Sooner the better this club is sorted out from the top to management. We're getting left behind. Every club above us is playing better football. It's a battle for the 4th spot now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
To be fair I thought we played pretty well considering it was the most high paced game we've played so far this season, and City are very good at their game. I mean, that isn't much of a credit because our tempo of play has been mostly terrible this season, but I think we played pretty well at times against City.

I don't think there is a current manager better than Guardiola to set up his team to frustrate their opponents. Mostly that is how he wins. The second one using that tactic but in a different manner is our own José. I think our plan was good, we played good at times but it wasn't enough. Don't feel the need to moan at our own this time.

Canagel

In contrast to your feelings , Fellaini played ok and Herrera deserved replacement after giving the ball away every other touch of his.

So you think that midfield and those tactics are the best we could've done to win this game? ok then

predator

Youth NITK
We would've done better with Pogba playing but ultimately they are on a different level to us.

I watched it with a lot of United fans but afterwards was exposed to alot of the blue cnuts and all I could say was 'how many champions league you won lad?'

They'll walk the league this year but they'll get dicked in Europe like they always have.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Man city were on a different level. United are miles behind.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

People like you who defend Fellaini's inclusion in our squads is what will make us another Liverpool.

It doesn't matter whether he plays well or not, him playing means we're going for a philosophy that is for a bottom 5 side. Fellaini's best is Everton best and it doesn't matter how well he performs when he plays.
His ceiling is that of a club we should be beating comfotably.

People need to open their eyes and look past this chivalrous need for protecting a glorified yes-man and think carefully 'Is this how I want my club to play?'. If it's not and the player does not suit the style or is not good enough, then bin them.

This goes doubly so for the manager who has control over the overarching way we play and try to approach games, especially at our club.

peridigm

We would've done better with Pogba playing but ultimately they are on a different level to us.

I watched it with a lot of United fans but afterwards was exposed to alot of the blue cnuts and all I could say was 'how many Champions League you won lad?'

They'll walk the league this year but they'll get dicked in Europe like they always have.
Sadly, this could be the year. Still early but imagine they’ll be semis at least.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So Mourinho complains about how the Pogba injury forced him to play Fellaini for 90 minutes when he would prefer to have Fellaini coming off the bench in a match like this, meanwhile he has HIS SIGNING Fred sitting on the bench for 90 minutes. If he would really rather have Fellaini as an impact sub then start Fred instead. Mind you, Fellaini was the best player on the field today, so put Matic on the bench and start Fellaini, Fred and Herrara...

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
They destroyed us and gave us a lesson in football. Kills me to say it but city were a joy to watch. We didn't even have a go at them. 1 shot on goal and that was the peno. My god. Sooner the better this club is sorted out from the top to management. We're getting left behind. Every club above us is playing better football. It's a battle for the 4th spot now.
I think you make a great point. Forget the Utd/City derby rivalry. You are getting left behind and entirely because Jose is looking like a dinosaur generally. iMO, Utd have a bunch of potentially amazing players, but Jose is actually managing to prevent that talent to come through with his seriously negative tactics. There were times in the game today that Utd had between 7-9 players in a straight line in defence and in the entire game, Utd had only 1 shot on target - which was the penalty. Yours players are not the problem. Your manager clearly is. This is his 3rd season and it is clearly going backwards. To be 12 points from the top, after only 12 games and a goal difference between the two sides of +31 to City and -1 to Utd says it all.

Canagel

So Mourinho complains about how the Pogba injury forced him to play Fellaini for 90 minutes when he would prefer to have Fellaini coming off the bench in a match like this, meanwhile he has HIS SIGNING Fred sitting on the bench for 90 minutes. If he would really rather have Fellaini as an impact sub then start Fred instead. Mind you, Fellaini was the best player on the field today, so put Matic on the bench and start Fellaini, Fred and Herrara...
Don't bother there's no point trying to make any sense out of it. There's no excuses left

Meller

Glad I won't be able to see many games this season, so boring and frustrating to see us 'play'.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is not the only game we set up not to assert ourselves but to stop the opposition. I am tired of Mourinho's approach to games to be honest.

Our attackers are of better quality than our defenders so maybe we should actually try to play to out strengths once in a while.

MrBest

7 points behind 4th already. Even though spurs bought No players, they still look more gritty than use and capable of winning games. Arsenal are 4 points ahead and look miles better, unbeaten in 16. For me, it's a battle for 6th as lomg as Jose is here.

MrBest

Not sure how many more chances Jose will get. The fans have been patient, we have given him chances but his comments today are diabolical and a reflection of his management of this team. For all those who love him, I ask you two question, why can't his team after 3 years still not string a pass together? How long does Jose need to get this right? Madrid were awful at the start of the season, sacked there new manager and have started getting some positive results with a temp manager. Sometimes regardless of a managers history or quality, things don't work out and Jose tenure has to come to an end now. How thick are the board waiting until we are mathematically out of the Champions league. That first 20 mins, City slaughtered us. They scored sat back and laughed at us. Hit us for a second, sat back and laughed again. 85th killed us off and out us out of our misery. Starting matic Ander and fellaini was criminal. No movement of creativity in that 3. Jose has had 5 windows now and all he can bang on about is missing a defender. That midfield is trash, just like smalling and young.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
City: 91% possession in the first twelve minutes.
United: 5 passes completed in the first twelve minutes.

Reddy Rederson

There can be no complaints. They are much, much better than us in pretty much every position bar the goalkeeper. We have to dust ourselves off and start all over again. It’s only 3 points.
Was listening to talk sport after the game on the way to tesco and of course the slagging off of united was in full swing, with st pep getting his cock deep throated. Then the obvious comparisons come up; who would actually get into that city side from united. I nearly crashed the fecking car when they said no one! "Youd have to take ederson over de gea". Had to turn it off after that, that city praising was obscene. Not even in our golden era have I ever spoken of a united team or performance like they were talking about city. So, so cringy. Like how you would imagine a stalker talking about the cheerleader he wanks over every night.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Anyone who is genuinely amazed at that performance today, needs to piss off!

We're shit! Get over it!
Overrate certain players all you want but, they're still shit!

Coaching wise, it's also shit!

Basically, we're shit until the club embraces that it's a football club and either Mourinho changes his stick or, we get a new manager and go another 5 years without an identity* before you put anything worthwhile together

*We already have an identity... We're shit!

Last edited:

Burgah

No plan B. Fellaini should never start for United again unless as an impact sub. Matic and Lukaku looks like turtles when they play. Fred should have started and Mourinho tactics failed United. We can’t win trophies like this man. Our football needs to improve 10x
I thought Fellaini was one of our better players. He kept his passing simple and effective, usually forward. I thought Herrera was worse, but I was watching it on a shitty stream, so I might have missed something.

Denis' cuff

Anyone who is genuinely amazed at that performance today, needs to piss off!

We're shit! Get over it!
Overrate certain players all you want but, they're still shit!

Coaching wise, it's also shit!

Basically, we're shit until the club embraces that it's a football club and either Mourinho changes his stick or, we get a new manager and go another 5 years without an identity* before you put anything worthwhile together

*We already have an identity... We're shit!
Yep. We can complain about certain players and the manager but until the owners show some interest in the football side of things instead of focusing on profit first nothing will change, regardless of who is manager.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think it's time that we all stopped making excuses for the manager. I'm not yet in the camp that wants him fired right now, but I am firmly in the camp that thinks he is not doing a good enough job.

Ferguson won multiple titles with squads full of the type of player that you think are killing us.
Puhlease
Firstly, Ferguson NEVER at any point won a title with a squad as imbalanced as the currrent one. He also took over 8 years to fix things when he inherited other manager's messes, yet he never had a boss second guessing his transfer targets.

People need to seriously start getting the difference between reality and excuses. We finished second last year and refused to significantly reduce our weaknesses in the transfer market in spite of what our coaching staff reccommended. Even with another manager we'd still be 7th. Fergie is possibly the only man alive who wpuld be doing miracles with a squad this imbalanced. For he is the only one apart from LVG who would go like 'feck it' let me play youth where we are lacking.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yep. We can complain about certain players and the manager but until the owners show some interest in the football side of things instead of focusing on profit first nothing will change, regardless of who is manager.
"Until the owners show some interest"? WTF? We have spent millions. This has nothing to do with the owners and is all about the manager and his negativity. We have a ton of talented players. They just aren't being used right. What does Jose think is going to happen when all we do is sit back and defend???

Tony247

Strangely, loss against City doesn't feel humiliating anymore. Win, on the other hand, would be a pleasant surprise.

nainaisson

I can't believe we lost to a team with far better players whose owners invested a billion in their club while our owners sucked a billion out of ours. This is all Mourinho's fault. #MourinhoOUT

moodyred

I feel like it is going to take another 20 years before we might actually win the league again. 20 years for a SAF + Eric Cantona equivalent to get us there. The current team and manager won't do.

Sterling Archer

So you think that midfield and those tactics are the best we could've done to win this game? ok then
Please don't extrapolate from what I've actually said to something that suits your agenda.

Frankly, the team selection and tactics are a moot point. I said this in the pre match thread too - a lot of the fans here need to get this stick out their arses and accept the fact that City are years ahead of us as a team and club. Last seasons win came after almost being down 5-0...we don't come into this game anywhere near equals to one of the statistically and even to the layman, greatest sides in English football.

You think a different team selection is what set us apart? I'm asking, genuinely. Do you really think that's the difference between these teams? If so I don't know if there's any point in my trying to have a reasonable debate with ya my friend because we would be on polar opposites with no common ground

kerryman

Even though Lukaku won the penalty , I still think we are better off with him off the pitch due to his inability to contribute to the buildup.
Not sure why the city keeper fouled him, as if he would have scored from there!

Sterling Archer

People like you who defend Fellaini's inclusion in our squads is what will make us another Liverpool.

It doesn't matter whether he plays well or not, him playing means we're going for a philosophy that is for a bottom 5 side. Fellaini's best is Everton best and it doesn't matter how well he performs when he plays.
His ceiling is that of a club we should be beating comfotably.

People need to open their eyes and look past this chivalrous need for protecting a glorified yes-man and think carefully 'Is this how I want my club to play?'. If it's not and the player does not suit the style or is not good enough, then bin them.

This goes doubly so for the manager who has control over the overarching way we play and try to approach games, especially at our club.
I appreciate that you've taken the time to write that and express your opinion. But I disagree wholeheartedly and you will never convince me of your view just as much as my own opinion will never resonante with you.

Cheers.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Our form of late has been very good, we were expected to lose to Chelsea, Juve and City, yet the results of the 3 games is DWL, which is decent.

Other than today, we have been doing well lately, I wouldn’t worry too much from today. They are the best team in the country. Hopefully we can go on a good run after this set back, as every other team is easier to play against than City.
No offence to you mate. I'm not attacking your post because there isn't anything wrong about it, but doesn't reading this back make you realise how far our standards have dropped?

This could be posted by a fan of West Ham or Newcastle or Everton. Looking at the table that's exactly the kind of company we are keeping now too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No offence to you mate. I'm not attacking your post because there isn't anything wrong about it, but doesn't reading this back make you realise how far our standards have dropped?

This could be posted by a fan of West Ham or Newcastle or Everton. Looking at the table that's exactly the kind of company we are keeping now too.
It's the we were expected to lose bit I find terrifying. I go into games thinking that, I thought that yesterday. We as Manchester United fans should never be thinking that. Something needs to change.

PaulRich

We look fecking clueless. Everytime a City player got the ball he looked comfortable with it, even under pressure, and always had an outball. We play like the ball is made of kryptonite and our boots are full of lead. I didn't think it possible but we've done a Liverpool, Jose is nothing more than our Souness.

RedStarUnited

Why can't you accept that?

Do you think that on paper our team is better than City's?

If you're going based on team spirit and whatnot, do you think our team that almost lost to Newcastle and Bournemouth is ready to challenge a record breaking City side?

Genuinely, did you really think a front four of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Fellaini is going to cause trouble for this Man City side?
Because we dont just use it Vs City. That is our strategy in most matches. Any team can come to Old Trafford now and play on the front foot cos we let them. Even if we beat teams more often than not, I bet you those players think differently when they come off the pitch than compared to playing City.

That fear alone is worth a few goals/points. City have most teams beat in their heads now before they even step on the pitch.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Was listening to talk sport after the game on the way to tesco and of course the slagging off of united was in full swing, with st pep getting his cock deep throated. Then the obvious comparisons come up; who would actually get into that city side from united. I nearly crashed the fecking car when they said no one! "Youd have to take ederson over De Gea". Had to turn it off after that, that city praising was obscene. Not even in our golden era have I ever spoken of a united team or performance like they were talking about city. So, so cringy. Like how you would imagine a stalker talking about the cheerleader he wanks over every night.
When I got back to the car after the game, I couldn’t bring myself to turn on the radio so I missed it, but there is no doubt that commentators go over the top. DeGea didn’t have his best game yesterday, but in general he is still the best out there. As for the rest, sadly, I think the point stands. I honestly can’t think of a single player who would get anything more than the occasional place on City’s bench. Even Pogba, who is our best, couldn’t replace what that lot can field. It’s a sad state of affairs.

minoo-utd

Jose said "the difference of ambitions between City and us one wants the title and we fighting for top four". Blaming the board again? But hey wait a minute Jose he brought Sanchez, Lindelof, Fred, Matic, Bailly, Dalot. here are six players Jose chose them for his team bar from Pogba and maybe Lukaku who also were bought by Jose but man wtf! I blame only Jose for that team we have in our hand right now. We even can not clear out some of the dead dead wood ( Ed issue ) the likes of
Darmian
Young
Valencia
Jones
Rojo
we have now few more after Jose's reign
Matic
Lindelof

And I also don't see Lingard and Rashford are our quality

So IMO here we have around 8+ players we actually deserve much much better than them and of course a manager who has a vision. We can not only aim for top four finish even-though it is not guarantee this season. Sack Jose now and obviously the next manager /care taker won't be worse.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When I got back to the car after the game, I couldn’t bring myself to turn on the radio so I missed it, but there is no doubt that commentators go over the top. DeGea didn’t have his best game yesterday, but in general he is still the best out there. As for the rest, sadly, I think the point stands. I honestly can’t think of a single player who would get anything more than the occasional place on City’s bench. Even Pogba, who is our best, couldn’t replace what that lot can field. It’s a sad state of affairs.
I have avoided Talksport like the plague, yesterday and today I am listening to music on the radio. Much less stressful. I don't want to listen to somebody telling me what I already know.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Man City 3:1 Man Utd