PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 December 2019

tony54

Excellent performance overall. One of the most complete under Ole's tenure. It wasn't all turnover and counter attack. I was really impressed with how they played through the lines in the first half.

When Ole has his first 11 available he has got a good team. There has been a lot of talk (on here especially) about the lack of quality coaching. But seeing McTominay, Fred, James and Rashford in career best form, Martial looking like a first choice number 9 for the first time and the development in Greenwood and Williams in particular shows the coaching staff are doing something right.

There is a real togetherness in this group and currently they are high on confidence. There will be a lot of bumps in the road and the next crisis is unlikely to be further away, but there is something good building here. The club desperately needs to back Ole with at least 2 more players in January.

A lot has been made of 7 players out and 3 in. But even with that, he has also marginalised Young, Matic and Mata - 3 regular senior players last season. That is a huge turnover of senior players.
So very true, we just need 3 right minded and skilful new players and then the team should start to bloom. But can woodward feck this up as always.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You've some weird takes.

It really doesn't and shouldn't feel like a loss.
Was said more so as a joke hence the laughing emoji. I have said the league was over about a month ago.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
*Sigh* So United literally couldn't have won today for you then?
As I mentioned above mate it was said as a joke:lol: hence the laughing emoji.

I have said the league was over a month ago so yesterdays result had no impact on the title race.

Alabaster Codify7

Awesome result. City's title hopes are gone, now. Unfortunately the red scum have the title but whatever. Credit where credit is due, Ole has taken 6pts from two games against top teams and I predicted we'd lose both. He's done well there, fairplay.

lex talionis

A fantastic and fully deserved win...without our only world-class outfield player. De Gea had to put in top shift, but that was to be expected.

It's not that the players don't put in the energy that we saw against Spurs and City against clubs like Newcastle and Villa; the problem is that we don't have the tactical maturity to beat lesser clubs who sit back on us. Clubs that have a go at us leave space in transition we can exploit, but when that space doesn't exist and we're allowed to walk the ball up the chair we're bereft of of ideas.

But today is about celebrating victory over City. Job extremely well done!

Cockney Phil

Woke up to that nice old feeling after beating the Bitters the night before. We even deserved it and played better than Wednesday. Ole has tightened up that lax first 15 in the 2nd half. A year ago McT was being called ‘sauce’ with a poor future now he’s an engine driver of the team - some sauce.

Not to reduce our performance I thought Spuds and Bitters failed to show up - with such poor inconsistency everywhere including ourselves it’s no wonder the Scouses are leading the pack.

As things stand we’re a team of big time Charlie’s but can’t cope with minnows like Villa last week. Maybe Ole has pushed past the immediate danger but I do think a ‘few’ reinforcements in January might push us towards a decent position at season end.

Djemba-Djemba

Absolutely awful result for you guys. If you actually zoom out and look at the big picture, Solskjaer is not a good enough manager overall to take you back to the elite of European football where you should be. Indeed, managers that are good enough are like gold dust and the moments where you are actually able to appoint one unbelievably few and far between.

Accordingly, your results against Tottenham and City only serve to make Solskjaer unsackable during one of those incrediby rare moments when one of the managers you really need, Pochettino, is available.

Of course we shouldn't forget in the immediate term it's a great result so congrats for that, but the cold objective truth is quite the opposite.
Moronic post .

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Absolutely awful result for you guys. If you actually zoom out and look at the big picture, Solskjaer is not a good enough manager overall to take you back to the elite of European football where you should be. Indeed, managers that are good enough are like gold dust and the moments where you are actually able to appoint one unbelievably few and far between.

Accordingly, your results against Tottenham and City only serve to make Solskjaer unsackable during one of those incrediby rare moments when one of the managers you really need, Pochettino, is available.

Of course we shouldn't forget in the immediate term it's a great result so congrats for that, but the cold objective truth is quite the opposite.
I live near the coast and never tasted so much salt in the air. Don't worry the Brendan Rodgers train will derail eventually.

C'est Moi Cantona

Poch is last seasons man, this season it is Brendon who is in fashion, and he's safely locked up with you guys, so will be there for the taking anytime we might need a change, etc, etc..

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Yeah, terrible result... I'd much rather have lost the derby. Ideally, we'd lose all the games because that would get Ole sacked eh? Obviously, we'd probably be relegated too but heyho, we might get Poch.

Don't know why you think Poch is a gold dust manager. Did ok but won nothing and below us when got sacked. Maybe your idea of a top manager is different to most.... or maybe it's just a wum.

You've posted crap about United before and since game... there are loads of good opposition fans on here (including City, Liverpool and Leicester) who make objective posts (positive and negative) but you're just wumming, it'll get you nowhere bar binned.

Try and focus on your own team. If you "zoom out" far enough, you'll see you've one major trophy in a century. (F A Cup runners up doesn't count.... even though you seem really good at that).

Ban

Come of it.

Cockney Phil

This from a fan of a club with a manager that bottled the Scouse’s run in and a club that actually won the prem with a serial loser. Pep is supposed to be a ‘god’ of management but his team is visibly declining despite the spends - is he no longer a god, or has footy changed? Flopp who had to leave Dortmund and has struggled for years to rebuild, is he now the ‘god’? Meanwhile the old god who failed us. produced a magnum of mediocrity mid-week with a team of top players created by Poch, who has done nothing but bottle run ins and finals. Poch is now our saviour, on what grounds?

No one is unsackable least of all Ole, but I also think if he fails he will resign out of his attitude towards the club. The Ole experiment has not been wholly successful and nor has it been a total failure. As some guys might know i have been deeply critical and even postulated relegation if Ole ran out of time. I think he’s stopped the clock and shown us he can beat the ‘top’ managers, home and away, and didn’t do too badly against Flopp.

Where yesterday’s victory may well prove a hindrance is if Woodhead decides there is no longer a need to invest in the squad. We looked tired by 80 minutes yesterday and the subs were not game changers in the event the Bitters rallied. The Bitters failed, Pep failed but I hope the board step up In January.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Now we must learn (team and boss) to take teams below us apart. It will be pointless to beat Spurs and City if we fail to beat the likes of Everton, (a struggling) Burnley, Watford and Newcastle (not to mention AZ). My guess is we won't learn. Yes, we were excellent for 30 mins on Saturday and we did defend well late on but City were well below par (and not just because we made them look so) and we absolutley have to take those half chances in case others don't come along. RvP or RvN would have had a hat trick and so would Ole, Andy Cole and Yorkey.

All that said, credit where itr's due. ole got tactics right and players gave their all - what a difference having a fit Scotty makes(not long ago he was everyone's scapegoat but turns out Jose (and I) was right about him. We need to spend big in January and in the summer. Ole has been given a stay of execution. let's hope he says brave.

MoM was an easy choice even though lots of people played well. 10 out of 10 for AWB. LIndelof and Shaw were very good too and Scott and Fred were amazing in midfield. I thought they would be overrun. I am glad though that Aguero wasn't fit!

Maticmaker

Excellent result, the only 'moans'
1)we should have been at least 4-0 up at halftime;

2) David had to come for that corner that Otmendi scored from inside the six yard box... why did he come then go back, just another yard forward he would have deflected the header?

However that's being harsh, we are 'Kings of Manchester' once again for the time being anyway...love it yipheeee!

Jeffthered

Wow, what utter drivel. The league is mediocre now because United won a few games? How do you explain United outplaying Liverpool at OT then if they're the outstanding team?

The EPL is clearly the strongest (and richest) league in world football at the moment. United have a young and talented first 11 and are capable of competing with anyone on their day when everyone is fit.

But they have an inexperienced and thin squad so injuries, suspensions and loss of form has a big impact on the side and as a result they are very inconsistent.
I think the league is mediocre, because I think the league is mediocre. Nothing to do with Man Utd winning two games. Or losing two games. Or drawing two games. You mention one 90min match (vs Liverpool) like it proved something. It didn't prove much at all. We played well. They played poorly. And we drew. So what do you learn from that?

You mention strongest and richest league. Firstly, I made no reference to money, so that's irrelevant. You think big money guarantees better quality? Tell that to Ajax. Or Leicester City. Interestingly, I actually think with the amount of money in the league, that you reiterate my point. Secondly, in terms of strongest league, well that's subjective. Would the top 10 Prem teams all beat their counterparts in La Liga, Bundesliga etc? Some would.. but the majority? I certainly could not definitively say.

The type in bold is a celebratory statement. Most teams in the prem could beat most teams in the prem 'on their day'. Norwich beat Man City this season for example.

Miles Platting

Brilliant result , only listened on the wireless but we looked good on MOTD. Keep it up.

SAFMUTD

Sensational.. don’t you ever let go that damned wheel Ole. Better than any performance I seen since Fergie.
Better than the second half against City when we came back from a 2-0? It was a great game but I don’t think it’s near the best.

Gasolin

The difference between us and Liverpool this season is that they're executing their press correctly and we're not. They're easier to score against than they were last season, but once they get the bit between their teeth they're relentless in a way no other team has been able to match so far. We're not at that level so it's far easier to exploit the gaps we're leaving in the midfield. The games we've lost this season have all basically been the same - Norwich away we conceded to a goal on the counter, Wolves at home we conceded two goals on the counter, Liverpool away we lost to two goals on the counter, and yesterday we lost to one goal on the counter. Our midfield is porous, we're losing structural discipline, we need a bit of a refresher.

I don't really know how to respond to your comment about this current United team being close to the teams Fergie had around the mid-2000s. I mean, I disagree. In fact I disagree a lot. I'm sure quite a lot of people in this thread would disagree, too.
Well I am sure others have noticed how we are going for the 2008 team. Read through the Caf, I am not the only one to see similarities. I mean roles are for grabs but Rashford is the next Ronaldo and he’s used in that role. And we play exactly in the same fashion, with intensity and ability to scare teams... we will get there, and the sooner it happens, the easier it will be for us.

Gasolin

Better than the second half against City when we came back from a 2-0? It was a great game but I don’t think it’s near the best.
No it’s the best. The come back was ok. But here, we took the lead and should have scored 4. It’s an absolute feeling to go to the locker room and feel that we are leading the game, and they couldn’t defend against us cause they had no clue. No clue. City, supposed the best team with the beat manager in the world, didn’t know how to handle this team managed by a PE teacher. Sorry, Phelan, cause this is all Phelan apparently.

always_hoping

Poch is last seasons man, this season it is Brendon who is in fashion, and he's safely locked up with you guys, so will be there for the taking anytime we might need a change, etc, etc..
I'd go as far to say a few seasons ago man. 2019 league results with that top 4 spurs panel of players was awful and reaching a cup final where he was in tears for reaching doesn't disguise that.

IRELANDUNITED

I've seen some dumb things on this form, but that is without a doubt the stupidest thing i have read here. Congrats for that, i guess.

fps

Everton have woken up eh? Not a great time to play them, or, since they’re playing well, for this United side it is...?

always_hoping

That United team finished the season in 2nd with 81 points. City created a lot more clear cut chances in that game, DeGea pulled off a number of World class saves. Best bit about that result was stopping City winning the league that day.

Yesterday United could or should have led 4-0 at half time and many myself included didn't see United winning before the game. I don't recall DeGea so underworked in a Derby game. Huge credit to defensive effort for that.

SAFMUTD

That United team finished the season in 2nd with 81 points. City created a lot more clear cut chances in that game, DeGea pulled off a number of World class saves. Best bit about that result was stopping City winning the league that day.

Yesterday United could or should have led 4-0 at half time and many myself included didn't see United winning before the game. I don't recall DeGea so underworked in a Derby game. Huge credit to defensive effort for that.
That’s why I have that game as harder, to come back from a 2-0 down at the Eithad against the 100 point City team its way harder than to beat this City team that is clearly not at their best.

Regarding the 4-0 I think it’s overreacting , really it was a missed chance from Rashford and the shot that hitted the woodwork but City had the Gabriel Jesus clear chance and the handball from Fred that could have very well ended of a penalty, so I think a 2-0 was a pretty fair result.

ExecutionerWasp001

Regarding the 4-0 I think it’s overreacting , really it was a missed chance from Rashford and the shot that hitted the woodwork but City had the Gabriel Jesus clear chance and the handball from Fred that could have very well ended of a penalty, so I think a 2-0 was a pretty fair result.
Matial & James also both had very good chances in that explosive opening. If we had been more clinical we could have gone into HT with a much bigger lead than 2 - 0.

It seems crazy to say but i'm quite gutted at only coming away with a 2 - 1 win as a big score was there for the taking. We've let them off the hook twice now in recent times.

Was incredibly nervous when i found that Taylor was in charge. He was abysmal last season. He missed the penalty & probably should have booked a few City players for constantly haranguing him. He was neutral for the most part though & didn't make any crazy decisions.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Well I am sure others have noticed how we are going for the 2008 team. Read through the Caf, I am not the only one to see similarities. I mean roles are for grabs but Rashford is the next Ronaldo and he’s used in that role. And we play exactly in the same fashion, with intensity and ability to scare teams... we will get there, and the sooner it happens, the easier it will be for us.
Are you missing that I'm a City fan or something?

Mr. Meeseeks

If we manage to find some consistency playing at that level, then we would suddenly look a threat for the big titles again. Bizarre how good we can look at times.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
Hard to believe he had a faster top speed than Rashford, Marcus' pace when he ran up and tried to curl it into the bottom right corner was unbelievable
Hard to believe Haaland is two kmh faster. Cant wait for the window to open :devil:

Cantonagotmehere

Two on the bounce. Ole, Ole, Ole Ole Ole

- After Sterling got by AWB early on I was thinking it's going to be a long game for him. He settled and did a great job. I wonder why Pep didn't think to move Sterling to the right?

- Another performance like that and I will be an official Fred Fan.

- It's so nice to ruin any hope for a City title. I've always admired Pep with what he did with Barca and others but the shine is coming off. When a team plays dirty, plays like they think they deserve every call their way, and plays like they think they deserve to win because they walk on the pitch, well, that attitude comes from the manager and it's not a pretty sight. In all the years SAF won I don't ever remember our club with that sort of attitude.

I think it's time we delete the threads about firing Ole. He deserves to manage at least to next December which will give him two more windows.
Great post!

nainaisson

Guess we know now which account here belongs to Duncan Castles.

Gasolin

Are you missing that I'm a City fan or something?
I did miss that, but, you said:

I don't really know how to respond to your comment about this current United team being close to the teams Fergie had around the mid-2000s. I mean, I disagree. In fact I disagree a lot. I'm sure quite a lot of people in this thread would disagree, too.
Well I am just responding to that. I see similarities, and I think a lot of people are seeing that here too. And results will be spectacular when the plan is executed properly across the field.

Cantonagotmehere

I never saw the game, but I understand that it was well deserved. Two excellent results within a few days which could change the season.

I am interested in the quality of the performance, and how City looked, although I sense they are a squad that need some new faces and energy, which is understandable following their recent successes.

Ole, for now, to a degree has silenced his critics (like me, I am am happy to admit that...) . Let's see whether we can push on.

The feeling I get is that Ole is as surprised as many people are, me included.

There is a lot of bluster and pretty average out there, some recent results around the league highlight the overall standards.. There is little to be afraid of, but we need that confidence and consistency.

Looking at form, Liverpool aside, it seems the Premier League is relatively mediocre... We haven't turned into a good team in two games.

However, Rashford has inspired us, and has shown his true value and talent, and most importantly, a more direct and effective method of play. When he keeps his game simple, he is a more effective player, and he now inspires our team. Hugely. And he is scoring goals. I do hope he keeps that focus. Because we need it.
[/QUOT

You should probably watch the games.

Ummm, premier league that had the CL finalists last year?

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 50% of 531 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw