PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 December 2019

Suedesi

Is our recent record at Etihad better than at OT?

Off the top of my head, we've had the RVP 3-2, Van Gaal's 1-0, Mourinho's 3-2 and Ole's 2-1.

Whereas at OT they typically kill us.

thepolice123

Watched the full match finally. Am actually surprised that people thought Anthony Taylor had a good game. The penalty shouts against us were no where near penalties and would have been daft to give, our penalty was a clear mistake on his part as well.
Our PK was as stonewall as it gets. Rashford got charged down from behind by Silva. How was it a mistake?

KekiZeki

We didn't just scrape up the victory there like when we had Mourinho. We played shit football and only for the stats, now we played on par with City and they couldn't break us. Sure you need to defend at times but we didn't defend for 70 minutes of the game. And we held on, shows some character, shows that these players trust Ole, regardless what some people would have you believe. These 2 victories will be huge for the morale of the players and their belief in their abilities.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
even better than the performance and the result was Gary Neville's response when the camera kept focusing on that Oasis twat: "He didn't come all the way from Primrose Hill to see this..." Priceless :devil:

Shimo

Our PK was as stonewall as it gets. Rashford got charged down from behind by Silva. How was it a mistake?
I was talking about the Lindelof and Fred shouts for penalties (shouts against us)- those calls were absolutely right and so the one we got was as you said stonewall penalty

I was highlighting how he made a mess of things on several other calls through the game

Sea-Cow

I did not see that coming. The lads were outstanding in the first half. We had to battle and maybe rode our luck at times in the second half, but I am very appreciative of the effort from the lads. They gave their all these last two games and I am glad that they were rewarded.

Please know that I was over the f'ing moon on Saturday so I am not always a wet blanket.... But...

Why can't Luke Shaw deal with simply one-two's? How many times have City been able to create good dangerous chances by a simple dink over the top after Luke falls asleep and doesn't track a runner. Its maddening.

We are set up to be this dangerous counter-attacking unit, and we were in the first-half, but we were poor in the second half. I don't remember really any saves from their keeper, but its possible I forgot them. But City were throwing men forward and we failed to really punish them for this.

I thought McT was chasing shadows all game. I love him and think he is great for us, but he just couldn't get close to David Silva and KdB. Not exactly easy against those two, I understand, but I hope he will learn from this and improve. I thought it was the rare occasion when Fred was the better of the two.

I thought for sure VAR was going to punish Fred for the handball and am quite shocked that it wasn't called. I would be livid if that was against us.

buckooo1978

I see the referee mentioned

He got the big decisions right

I felt he was very quick to blow in Citys favour in the second half though - quite irritating - hard on United players who were deemed to be time wasting- if they didnt rush (we've no obligation to) he seemed to be eager to punish

RedCurry

It's unfair to be pointing out the negatives after the week we've had. But the last 30 mins we needed to show more composure on the ball. It's one thing to boot the ball out of play when you are defending inside your box. But it felt like every time we got the ball, we wanted to hoof it as far away from the goal as possible. That only makes the ball come right back at you. We need to practice patterns of play that might be conservative but still helps us keep the ball better when our backs are against the wall.

Gasolin

I did not see that coming. The lads were outstanding in the first half. We had to battle and maybe rode our luck at times in the second half, but I am very appreciative of the effort from the lads. They gave their all these last two games and I am glad that they were rewarded.

Please know that I was over the f'ing moon on Saturday so I am not always a wet blanket.... But...

Why can't Luke Shaw deal with simply one-two's? How many times have City been able to create good dangerous chances by a simple dink over the top after Luke falls asleep and doesn't track a runner. Its maddening.

We are set up to be this dangerous counter-attacking unit, and we were in the first-half, but we were poor in the second half. I don't remember really any saves from their keeper, but its possible I forgot them. But City were throwing men forward and we failed to really punish them for this.

I thought McT was chasing shadows all game. I love him and think he is great for us, but he just couldn't get close to David Silva and KdB. Not exactly easy against those two, I understand, but I hope he will learn from this and improve. I thought it was the rare occasion when Fred was the better of the two.

I thought for sure VAR was going to punish Fred for the handball and am quite shocked that it wasn't called. I would be livid if that was against us.
Scott and Fred had exactly the same role defensively. Fred was maybe a bit more visible sometimes when going forward, but that's just the natural sequence of a transition. Scott and Fred have shut down Silva and KdB, that's why they had to go on the wingers position and push their wingers inside to be able to have a cross even in the second half... that's how impressive those 2 have been to protect the half spaces behind our full backs when their wingers tried to pull them out of position to build attacks. Or at least, that's how I remember the game. It was an intense game, really. We played well by not losing focus. If we keep doing that, we will go far.

Hughie77

Mistake was the ref didn't give it first, clear pen , you can't just barge into a player not attempt to go for the ball. For once I'm happy VAR worked .

TheRedHearted

Not sure if anyone brought up the drastic change in our game when Periera came on. We all of a sudden were not attacking and they eventually scored. After our second goal it seemed like Ole wa giving instructions for us to drop back. Almost killed us

Gasolin

Not sure if anyone brought up the drastic change in our game when Periera came on. We all of a sudden were not attacking and they eventually scored. After our second goal it seemed like Ole wa giving instructions for us to drop back. Almost killed us
That's because Martial was not fully fit (we knew that before the game) and also because we needed to stop the waves. KdB and Silva couldn't get anything in the half spaces behind our full backs so they decided to go wide and force their wingers inside, and keep crossing. We needed to stop their play and needed someone in the midfield for that. It turns out, it was Pereira and all, but well... no team can keep attacking forever, and there was a 3:0 possibility we gave away that could have killed the game mentally.

Lynty

Martial and Rashford were done. We have no attacking alternatives to keep their defenders pinned.

Walker and Angelino were marauding and linking up with midfielders.

Andreas was brought on for simple shithousery and he ahccived it well

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is our recent record at Etihad better than at OT?

Off the top of my head, we've had the RVP 3-2, Van Gaal's 1-0, Mourinho's 3-2 and Ole's 2-1.

Whereas at OT they typically kill us.
I think so.

Since they got good and started challenging for titles, I can only remember 1 victory against them at Old Trafford. The win in Mourinho's 1st season in the league cup. I actually forgot the score so I just checked and it was a 1-0 victory with Mata scoring the winner.

Edit: Oops, I completely forgot about the 4-2. How could I forget that?! :lol:

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

That's because Martial was not fully fit (we knew that before the game) and also because we needed to stop the waves. KdB and Silva couldn't get anything in the half spaces behind our full backs so they decided to go wide and force their wingers inside, and keep crossing. We needed to stop their play and needed someone in the midfield for that. It turns out, it was Pereira and all, but well... no team can keep attacking forever, and there was a 3:0 possibility we gave away that could have killed the game mentally.
Wouldn’t Tuanzebe have been the right sub then? He could have clogged up any of the space they had in the width and then james and Rashford would have stayed up for service.
i just saw a massive downward spiral in our game when Periera came on. But even before thaT we all saw Ole giving instructions to the players after the goal.

Gasolin

Wouldn’t Tuanzebe have been the right sub then? He could have clogged up any of the space they had in the width and then james and Rashford would have stayed up for service.
i just saw a massive downward spiral in our game when Periera came on. But even before thaT we all saw Ole giving instructions to the players after the goal.
I don't know, I still think Axel is a CB, and he's skilled but not necessarily pressing or forward moving. Pereira, for all this flows, is still a midfield who's not afraid of running forward, covering for defensive duties, and is normally capable of bringing a high level pass to the forward line. But yeah, it's debatable.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Must admit I like tunnel cam stuff, although I stay away from them if we haven’t won the match in question.

Oh and Noel Gallagher being such a big thing at Etihad never fails to amuse me :lol:

ps. No idea why they have cut off all the post-match footage ;)

Last edited:

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 50% of 531 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win