PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 December 2019

POF

Excellent performance overall. One of the most complete under Ole's tenure. It wasn't all turnover and counter attack. I was really impressed with how they played through the lines in the first half.

When Ole has his first 11 available he has got a good team. There has been a lot of talk (on here especially) about the lack of quality coaching. But seeing McTominay, Fred, James and Rashford in career best form, Martial looking like a first choice number 9 for the first time and the development in Greenwood and Williams in particular shows the coaching staff are doing something right.

There is a real togetherness in this group and currently they are high on confidence. There will be a lot of bumps in the road and the next crisis is unlikely to be further away, but there is something good building here. The club desperately needs to back Ole with at least 2 more players in January.

A lot has been made of 7 players out and 3 in. But even with that, he has also marginalised Young, Matic and Mata - 3 regular senior players last season. That is a huge turnover of senior players.

Denis' cuff

Obvs still room for improvement but the movement was outstanding. Even Lingard doing what he’d shown previous glimmers of. Trying not to get too giddy, bearing in mind previous false dawns but when we swept forward at times reminded me of the time we pasted the Arse (a) in the CL with Rooney and Ronnie. If we can keep that up and keep Martial focussed, with a few reinforcements, we might look forward to weekends again.

Still a bit sceptical but that was fecking enjoyable.

A-man

Best of all, this win was not by luck, it was earned and deserved.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
League over then boys. Liverpool have actually fecking done it. FFS.

Great game by United though even though even though they won it feels like a loss:lol:
You've some weird takes.

It really doesn't and shouldn't feel like a loss.

Oldyella

Great result, let's hope the team take confidence from this into upcoming fixtures. Still concerned about teams who will sit deep against us but Pogba back and hopefully sign someone who can pick a pass in the final 3rd in January and this team is not far off. We can obviously improve but think these last two results will buy Ole the rest of the season unless something goes seriously wrong. Other teams dropping points, maybe top 4 is not out of reach after all? Chelsea look catchable

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
League over then boys. Liverpool have actually fecking done it. FFS.

Great game by United though even though even though they won it feels like a loss:lol:
Nope. Doesn't feel like a loss one bit. Liverpool winning the league was anyway happening. I'm more interested and worried about us becoming a quality team again to be honest. Liverpools mediocrity carrying on forever was never really on the cards.

Fracture90

Ain't gonna lie, I was quite pessimistic coming into these 4 days and matches against Spurs and City, but goddamn did I enjoy every single second of them!

Hopefully this will be a turning point and we'll stop being a Robin Hood club, taking away from the big clubs to give to the smaller ones.

We gotta keep this momentum and stay consistent against weaker opponents as well.

Varun

Staff
Nope. Doesn't feel like a loss one bit. Liverpool winning the league was anyway happening. I'm more interested and worried about us becoming a quality team again to be honest. Liverpools mediocrity carrying on forever was never really on the cards.
Same. The fact that it's so early in the season is important too. Last season, I wasn't sad when we lost but this time, the game is too early and tbh, City look half the side anyway. Won't even come close to Pool this year imo. Leicester will probably finish 2nd

Relfy

Great game by the lads and a great win. Always nice to turn them over on their own patch!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Only watched highlights, but looked like we more than deserve the win tonight, and could have had a few more goals if we were more clinical. Great work to the lads.

Shame it seems a bunch of City supporters seemly couldn't handle being second best for a match and had to throw things at players and such.

El Zoido

I don’t care one bit if it helps Liverpool win the title. I felt dirty enough last season by wanting City to win all the time, not doing it again. All that matters is United.

Paul_Scholes18

I don’t care one bit if it helps Liverpool win the title. I felt dirty enough last season by wanting City to win all the time, not doing it again. All that matters is United.
Leicester can still win it and got more points than City. I don't know why everyone thinks they have 0 chance. I still think Liverpool will win, but Leicester can do it again if they manage to beat Pool in a few weeks time.

Eire Red United

No better feeling than beating that shower. Especially with a couple of dodgy penalty decisions. Them throwing things at Fred that time just shows what pond life they really are.
Couldn’t really hear Rashfords interview but afterwards got the jist that he was getting some kind of abuse, was it racial??

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
You must be surprised to see Klopp at the top of the league because he plays exactly in the same manner, without focusing too much on possession or anything, and playing direct a lot with movement from the team. It's not a matter of space... you don't win consistently high level games just by being a simple counter attacking team. For me, the team we see right now is getting very close to teams that SAF used to have around 2008. And we all know what that kind of teams can produce. The mental strength Ole is starting to bring is really the upside, beyond tactics and everything. It pushes players into a confidence level that keeps them safe.
The difference between us and Liverpool this season is that they're executing their press correctly and we're not. They're easier to score against than they were last season, but once they get the bit between their teeth they're relentless in a way no other team has been able to match so far. We're not at that level so it's far easier to exploit the gaps we're leaving in the midfield. The games we've lost this season have all basically been the same - Norwich away we conceded to a goal on the counter, Wolves at home we conceded two goals on the counter, Liverpool away we lost to two goals on the counter, and yesterday we lost to one goal on the counter. Our midfield is porous, we're losing structural discipline, we need a bit of a refresher.

I don't really know how to respond to your comment about this current United team being close to the teams Fergie had around the mid-2000s. I mean, I disagree. In fact I disagree a lot. I'm sure quite a lot of people in this thread would disagree, too.

Run_time_error

BREAKING NEWS. Aaron Wan-Bissaka was strip searched by City security staff when leaving the stadium last night. Apparently they were trying to find out what he'd done with Sterling.

theklr

Performances like that makes me cautiously optimistic about winning the Europa League tbh.

Knock out stages, where every match is win or die, seems to fit these players mentality like a glove.

And injury free we have one of the best squads in the competition.

On the other side , many or most teams we gonna face will go for the low-block..

Luckily playing at home will have an tremendous effect, more than most other teams i think.

And i think Ole and the players now have a genuine belief it can be done.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ah, another false dawn brought upon us by the jerk Ole. I'm embarrassed for anyone who actually enjoyed getting ripped to shreds by City. We had 19% possession and defended deep just like José. Winning against City shouldn't give you pleasure when you're discussing relegation in the same season Liverpool wins the league.

Just kidding

superdry

touched by a genius
Ah, another false dawn brought upon us by the jerk Ole. I'm embarrassed for anyone who actually enjoyed getting ripped to shreds by City. We had 19% possession and defended deep just like José. Winning against City shouldn't give you pleasure when you're discussing relegation in the same season Liverpool wins the league.
Ok if you must, let's talk about Bournemouth getting relegated.

Just kidding
me too;-)

Esquire

Ole has now beaten both Mourinho and Guardiola, with an inferior squad who is also missing their best player. Fecking hell.
I don’t know if Pogba is still making a move to leave behind the scene but I feel Rashford is our talisman now. Pogba if he gets is mind right will be coming back to a good situation and he can put us over the top. Hopefully that is an attractive proposition for him now.

Full bodied red

Guess who didn't watch the match....

After the shambles against Villa, I decided to make arrangements with friends to go out last night because I didn't want to watch us get stuffed by Citeh. A bit like watching the neighbour banging your wife ( I assume )

FFS....What's with this team. Just can't rely on them to be shit or to be shit hot on any given day.

I'll watch all 90+ minutes tonight with a bottle of good red and even though I know the result, I'll enjoy every second of it.

Early Christmas presents don't come much better....

Gasolin

Guess who didn't watch the match....

After the shambles against Villa, I decided to make arrangements with friends to go out last night because I didn't want to watch us get stuffed by Citeh. A bit like watching the neighbour banging your wife ( I assume )

FFS....What's with this team. Just can't rely on them to be shit or to be shit hot on any given day.

I'll watch all 90+ minutes tonight with a bottle of good red and even though I know the result, I'll enjoy every second of it.

Early Christmas presents don't come much better....
Stop watching all games live and let us win mate!!! Hahaha, just kidding. Enjoy the game. It’s a game that will remind you some of the best SAF years, really.

Gasolin

The difference between us and Liverpool this season is that they're executing their press correctly and we're not. They're easier to score against than they were last season, but once they get the bit between their teeth they're relentless in a way no other team has been able to match so far. We're not at that level so it's far easier to exploit the gaps we're leaving in the midfield. The games we've lost this season have all basically been the same - Norwich away we conceded to a goal on the counter, Wolves at home we conceded two goals on the counter, Liverpool away we lost to two goals on the counter, and yesterday we lost to one goal on the counter. Our midfield is porous, we're losing structural discipline, we need a bit of a refresher.

I don't really know how to respond to your comment about this current United team being close to the teams Fergie had around the mid-2000s. I mean, I disagree. In fact I disagree a lot. I'm sure quite a lot of people in this thread would disagree, too.
The mindset and the work rate? Oh yeah. They are very very close. Once the team will shut the door defensively and keep scoring (5 against the so called low defenses, in the last 2 games), it’s basically on. Even against City, Rashford should have scored 2 more and it’s 4:0 HT. You don’t think that hammers any opposition will? Of course it will. Ole is creating a team that goes for the jugulars. Once it clicks, it’s going to take the league by storm. And Rashford is blooming. Pogba , with the right mindset, back as a 10, is the next level for this team. Just watch.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Absolutely awful result for you guys. If you actually zoom out and look at the big picture, Solskjaer is not a good enough manager overall to take you back to the elite of European football where you should be. Indeed, managers that are good enough are like gold dust and the moments where you are actually able to appoint one unbelievably few and far between.

Accordingly, your results against Tottenham and City only serve to make Solskjaer unsackable during one of those incrediby rare moments when one of the managers you really need, Pochettino, is available.

Of course we shouldn't forget in the immediate term it's a great result so congrats for that, but the cold objective truth is quite the opposite.

RedIan

Great display of attacking football especially in teh first half, we ripped city’s (all be it crap) defence to shreds and should have been 4 -0 up in 30 minutes. What a buzz.... Ole IN !

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
So what exactly is your requirement? Given the position we were in after a big name manager like Mourinho. Having the youngest team in PL, winning against top sides doesn’t excite you? I remember when mou scraped those boring 1-0 wins when we got second place, and all I could remember on here were people moaning of how boring we played. With Ole it has been step forward and two back a few times, but we’ve had key injuries and a lot of managers would had struggled.
Important thing is the passion is back and there’s almost always entertaining games!
champions league qualification is priority. After that, a trophy in either Europa league or fa cup. We are United, we should be expected to make it to the finals of the Europa league and Fa cup. I will give Ole the benefits of the doubt though if he can get us back in the champions league and not win a trophy because champions leagueis where a club like United should be in and not Europa League.

KennyBurner

Looking at the game city have really regressed. They are at a point where their stars are only producing on diminishing returns. Aguero, silva and fernandinho are on a downward trajectory. If we are being honest their replacements in Jesus, bernardo silva and Rodri are not up to standard in comparison. When I found out aguero wasn't playing it was a relief because when city ever scores it always through that cnut.

Moving forward we have to upgrade our team well before they do. As things stand we aren't to far off them from a first team point of view. We have to add more quality in depth wihtin the next 2 years.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Absolutely awful result for you guys. If you actually zoom out and look at the big picture, Solskjaer is not a good enough manager overall to take you back to the elite of European football where you should be. Indeed, managers that are good enough are like gold dust and the moments where you are actually able to appoint one unbelievably few and far between.

Accordingly, your results against Tottenham and City only serve to make Solskjaer unsackable during one of those incrediby rare moments when one of the managers you really need, Pochettino, is available.

Of course we shouldn't forget in the immediate term it's a great result so congrats for that, but the cold objective truth is quite the opposite.
From a larger perspective I understand your point of view. If Ole was the right man for the job, we would not have the majority fans on here saying he should be sacked before these two games. Ole is a very strange manager, but as I have always stated if Ole does much worse than previous managers this season, then that should open the door for Pochettino to come in the summer. When I see Ole’s gameplan, it doesn’t look like a gameplan that will get us back on top where we should be. Maybe new players will change that, but a proper verdict can’t be made at the moment. Still a long way to go in the season.

NK86

That's utter tripe and I have seen you post similarly earlier. I am no fan of Ole the manager, but credit where it's due. The team played magnificent and we basically put City to the sword. I would rather enjoy this moment than "zoom out".

Also, you come across as incredibly bitter towards Ole rather than an objective oppo fan. Bordering on WUM tbh.

Offsideagain

Couldn’t give a toss about City having injuries. They are always boasting that they have two world class players in every position. Pep the genius found wanting. City fans moaning as usual about the ref and no plan B. Peps plan B is to go and spend another £200m they haven’t technically got but the Sheik won let him until they’ve sorted out the latest FFP charge.

The muppet throwing lighters and doing the monkey chants has been arrested. Saint Raheem was a few yards away and did feck all when it happened and I thought he said he’d walk if he heard any racial abuse or do City fans not count?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Strange I did think Wan Bissaka struggled a lot. He made some good tackles, but Sterling also had him in his pocket for many spells.
One sticks out in the first half to me, to be fair Sterling will do that now and again to any full back. I was with you on Fred as well.

tony54

And how would you know?
Cos, that's what he has done since he's been here. Sadly it's true because besides his lack of a good engine he has a lot to give. He needs to go, he had his chance and messed it up.

Last edited:

cyberman

Seems to be a few bitter Leicester fans about who really want us to keep falling away... Why?

One of the worst posts I’ve seen on here in a long term. Well done, that’s quite an achievement.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 50% of 531 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw