PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sun, 08 March 2020

Okey

Phew! Back to terra firma. Though the smile is unyielding. Ole is getting a hang of this big club managerial malarkey you know... His pre match comments were about how we sometimes go for it too much against Citeh at OT, and open up spaces in the process. Hinted at a more pragmatic approach. And they went out and executed it masterfully. What Mourinho would describe correctly as 'control without the ball'. Indeed it was a performance peak Mourinho would have been proud of.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Of course, they will be good (and still are) they are just not that good anymore. Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho, their back four might have seen their best days. And their recruitment hasn't been good lately.
I'd say that as long as they have the owners they have, you can never write them off. They could still win the CL and or the Fa cup this year. But for sure Aguero, Silva etc are not getting younger.

Okey

Oh, and has anyone checked on Raheem Sterling's welfare? He can't be feeling too good. AWB really put the fear of God into him yesterday. To the point of mis-trapping simple passes. Rendered the poor guy so impotent he just might need a fertility test!

Okey

Recommend we close down the Ole poll thread. We can have that discussion in May, but it’s bad form to keep it alive now.
Not in May, cos Ole isn't going anywhere. Maybe sometime during next season if we have a stinker. But I'm quite optimistic if we buy right, it'll be onwards and upwards for Ole...

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Loving scrolling through this thread. As United fans we've had to be patient to enjoy days like this again. Awesome. Absolutely buzzing today

My nerves were shredded watching that last 30mins. It would've been a traversty if we'd let them back into it. For Scott to score at the end, just incredible

freddie the red

Watched the last 5 mins of the Sky, MOTD and MUTV broadcasts over and over just to keep on soaking it all in......fantastic!

Don't think any sensible fan is getting carried away, it's not that long since Burnley at OT after all, but I don't get people who can't enjoy the moment.

Live it, enjoy it and savour it

Art Vandelay

Sky Sports News have Dermott Gllagher on now and it's disgusting. They are badgering him trying to get him to say our first goal wasn't a freekick, he's repeatedly saying it was a freekick and they are refusing to accept it. It's a bizarre watch, like a real life Alan Partridge incident.

Maticmaker

With apologies to Will Shakespeare -

"We few , we happy few (75000), we band of brothers...who witnessed this performance from the mighty reds; those fans who could not be here shall think themselves accursed they were not here and keep their silence when any speak who was with us on this day 8th March at the theatre of dreams"

dalriada

Thanks for finding something to whine about.
Ole acknowledged that in his post-match comments. As he says, James is young and this side of his game will improve and mature.
He wasn't the only one - Martial, Wan-Bissaka and Matić all had a pop when they should have spotted someone else in a better position. We'll get better at this.

mark_a

Of course, they will be good (and still are) they are just not that good anymore. Aguero, Silva, Fernandinho, their back four might have seen their best days. And their recruitment hasn't been good lately.
Plus they have no youth except Foden coming through, and played next to no minutes youth players in their last 2 (cheated) seasons. Everytime they mention Foden & his brief cameos over the last year, it only serves to highlight their lack of youth product. And as you'll remember, they once spent money on making a noise that their academy had left ours behind!!! Lol!

Extra credit for Ole & United's young XIs this season

Also, the press is pretty quite with phrases like "massive gulf between Liverpool and City" quotes ... which for some reason were constants during one of City's seasons with a gap on us!

Gator Nate

Wow. Just wow. Spent the rest of the day grinning foolishly at seemingly random times. Still doing it this morning. :D

While I picked Maguire as man of the match (you can correctly argue that I'm out of my mind), I really couldn't pick one. As I stated in the match day thread, what we saw was 11 men playing like 11 men. Everyone did their part, front to back. Full effort for 90+ minutes from every man. And I don't care about "style of play," this was the Manchester Derby. Results are ALL that matter. But the way they did it...

First off, Ole: He nailed it. He had this set up perfectly to force Pep to play into our strengths. Some criticized his substitutions and timing, but I really believe he knew what he wanted to do with those given the situations. I'm really sick of the criticisms about his tactical naivete. He doesn't always get it right, but no manager does, I think he's been far more hampered by personnel than by a lack of tactical nous.

Bruno: He wasn't the best player on the pitch yesterday, but he has made everyone else better. When Ole talks about the "X Factor," that's what Bruno brings along with everything else. It's what Pogba doesn't have. We've seen the change in Mata just because he's there, but I really think Fred has become more creative with Bruno's influence as well. We saw Martial on the sideline with him after McTominay's goal. Bruno is infectious. That free kick was perfectly beautiful. And Bruno draws off defenders where his predecessors could be ignored.

James: He had a job to do and did it almost to perfection. Sure, we can complain about that missed opportunity to Bruno, and Bruno sure did, but that will come with time. James made run after run after run, offensively and defensively. At one point late, the defender simply gave up. He has to be accounted for at all times and that is so valuable.

Martial: "Lazy" is such a bad word. He has a way of carrying himself, and that's been a good deal better since Bruno came along, but he's anything BUT lazy. His off the ball movement was outstanding and he was putting in a shift defensively. And that perfect contact from Bruno's free kick.

Fred: Everyone else on the field is running on gasoline, he has a nuclear reactor. Is there anywhere on the field that he doesn't show up? Maybe in the back right corner, because AWB doesn't need his help. Since Bruno has arrived, Fred has been taking more and more chances and been more and more creative.

Matic: Super solid defensive performance. Very few mistakes and a rock allowing Fred and Bruno to do their things.

Williams: Solid on defense and helpful on offense. This is a 19-year-old starting in the Manchester Derby - mistakes should be allowed and forgiven when they don't cost us.

Shaw: He and Williams really have a great thing in the 3-5-2 setup. Part of a rock wall Ole set up that stymied Pep's attack.

Maguire: I picked him for MOTM because he was commanding on the field and he won so many aerials. Ole knew what he was doing when he gave the armband to Harry.

Lindelof: Keeping up his side of the CB pairing, he won more aerials than I remember him ever doing. Solid day.

AWB: Maybe I should have selected him as MOTM. On leaving the stadium, a furious Pep had security make him turn out his pockets and return Rahim Sterling before heading home.

DeGea: Ho hum. A couple of good saves in an otherwise uneventful day. That defensive line is a great comfort to him.

Bailly: I suppose Ole was getting Williams off before a mistake did cost us, but this was also a defensive move, putting us to a solid 5-in-the-back for the final onslaught. He did his job, and I do like his physicality.

McTominay: Another defensive shift, taking Martial off. Was playing well even before the goal. And that goal... :drool:

Ighalo: The more I see him, the more I like him. His hold up play is marvelous. A man among boys when it comes time to push the ball up slowly, and that heel-kick to Fred was perfect.

I don't care if we only had 28% possession. It seemed like more, especially in light of the fact that we had 12 shots while City only had 7. And 6 of ours were on target to their 4. That was exciting football.

As for anyone that points out who City were missing, or their standing in the table having an effect on the game, two things: This is a derby, and rumor has it that City has three players for every position and all the backups would start for any other Big-Six team, save maybe Pool.

Red4Life_#7

Hahahahaha!! Where is the swimming pool, looool. 10/10.

We need to speak more about the pen that should have been given.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: ' The one thing I can say with certainty is it's not simulation. You've got two choices, really. If you think it's a foul you give a penalty, if you don't, you play on. When you see this, you've got to give a penalty, but VAR felt there wasn't enough contact for it to be a clear and obvious error.

It's so late when Fred goes down, I think that's what's convinced Mike it's a dive. At the moment, they don't go over to the screen for penalties, and I can't say whether he would have changed his mind had he done so. I would have changed my mind seeing the footage though '.

Totally agree with this, it took me 3 replays to see there was contact on the shin, VAR should have seen this too. Yellow cards should able to be resined too, no way that was simulation. Hope that yellow doesn't cost us later in the season...

Swivel Hips

I get annoyed about possession percentage figures. The only figures that count is goals for and goals against at the end of match. City always dominate the possession stats, but let’s be honest I reckon at least 20% in all their games is passing back and sideways in their own half. We have seen it ourselves when playing teams like Burnley etc when we have had majority of possession but fail to win or lose.

AndyMUFC

That was amazing yesterday. Felt more nervy at the time than it actually was because they did very little with their possession. The ground went crazy when McTominay scored.

Robertd0803

Glorious. Beautiful. Massive win.

Still buzzing today much to everyones surprise at work who arent used to seeing me be this positive on a Monday.

Offsideagain

What did we learn from yesterday? Mike Dean is still an awful Ref. Micah Richards needs to open his other eye. Guardiola has fleas or something cos he can’t talk without scratching his face, nose or rooting in his ear, but most of all we are looking like a team again. Will Pogba get a game?

Josep Dowling

Yes. We mustn't celebrate a win in a derby. Must avoid celebrating at all costs.

Sheesh.
I’m not referring to the win but I’m hearing pundit suddenly say we can challenge for the title next season. That to me is going over board on what is a very good run for us. The problem I have is there is no pressure on the players. We are now two points behind top 4 with a favourable run of fixtures to the end of the season now. There is now pressure/expectation on the players to make top 4 and I have my doubts they will still perform with that added pressure. Recent history says they don’t.

Sea-Cow

Exactly. I find it pathetic.

I won't name names, but there's a poster who I have noticed has been conspicuously absent since yesterday, pre-game. I went back over unsaid poster's posts ... and noticed it's been a recurring theme after victories. Yet, instantly on here after draws / defeats.

Gonna see if the trend continues before pointing it out. An absolutely pathetic way to be. But I'm sure unsaid poster is not alone, just the one I've noticed so far.
For me, I hesitate to comment or to state my actual observations after a win like this because its annoying to get responses being told to just enjoy it, or being called miserable etc etc.

If you aren't 100% on the party line, completely blind to any possible negative aspects of the performance, then you get shouted down.

So it is better to just sit back a few days and then hopefully reasonable discussion can commence after the euphoria dies down a bit.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
today i just randomly remembered McSexynais goal and couldnt stop smiling. It's been a while since Utd provoked those feelings

dirkey

For me, I hesitate to comment or to state my actual observations after a win like this because its annoying to get responses being told to just enjoy it, or being called miserable etc etc.

If you aren't 100% on the party line, completely blind to any possible negative aspects of the performance, then you get shouted down.

So it is better to just sit back a few days and then hopefully reasonable discussion can commence after the euphoria dies down a bit.
It's a post match thread. Can people not come in and enjoy the win? A positive performance, positive result? What would you plan on saying "yes, we won but we've got x y and z coming up"?

Who cares. Look at the thread name. Discuss the game.

KristianMackle

I just want to say Luke Shaw was my MOTM. Absolutely sensational and the confidence shown in him by Ole has worked leaps and bounds. I just wish that worked with Jesse.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just watching the MUTV version of the game. Who is this Hernandez who is playing for us? Paddy Crerand, got to love him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I just want to say Luke Shaw was my MOTM. Absolutely sensational and the confidence shown in him by Ole has worked leaps and bounds. I just wish that worked with Jesse.
It is probably down to mentality. Shaw is pretty tough whereas you cannot say the same thing about Lingard I am afraid.

Player Ratings

7.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 475 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 18% Man Utd 1:1 Man City