PL W FA Premier League

Manchester City 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 07 March 2021

big rons sovereign

Wasn't a classic and we rode our luck at times, but I never felt like we were under any real pressure.
City looked thoroughly toothless really.
Shaw ripped them a new one and fully deserved man of the match.

A-man

Put up the X goals and I'll go away even if it proves me right.
It doesn’t work that way. A counter where you feck up the last pass is worth nothing in that sense. In this game, our xG was 2.11 vs City 1.28.

A-man

All on Henderson this. His influence radiated through the whole team. MOTM
Agree. The CBs know they have someone behind them ready to act. Also I thought he was very good on the ball.

Yorke to Cole

I completely agree. Two difficult matches against AC Milan followed by West Ham, both at Old Trafford. It is crucial that we get players like Pogba back. Cavani needs to get over his injury and it would be beneficial to try and integrate Van De Beek in the team as we have so many matches to play.

I thought the way United played passes through the lines towards the end of the first thalf was excellent. I would like to see McTominay do that more.

Fred is able to do that, but not always successfully. If our midfield can develop that trait further combined with good movement from our strikers that would allow us create more chances during match play.

We just need to keep progressing and utilising the squad through this congested March.Hopefully, maintain some degree of progress.

Mr.Kaya

So fecking proud of the boys after this win. Martial looked more like him own self and did great. Lets goo boys! Hopefully we can keep this momentum now and keep getting wins.

El Zoido

MOTD is gushing over our performance. Quite an enjoyable listen.

dogwithabone

What a performance that was. Ole’s reign has been littered with this sort of result and performance and we just need to find that consistency. Feel really buoyed by today, I can see the desire to bring in a new centre back but that current back five has a solid look about it. Just when patience is seemingly running out with Martial he puts in a performance lie that and say what you like about the go to pair of Fred and McTominay they do rise to the occasion.

City flashed a few across our box but we too had plenty of moments in sight of their goal where we just need to be a bit cuter. City carved out nothing as clear as the Martial chance to make it 3-0.

All in all a terrific day and proof that City aren’t bullet proof and that just playing that bit higher up and getting around them like scavengers can unsettle them.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Have to say, the more I see of McTominay the more I think he is going to become an outstanding midfielder. Still makes the odd rick but his passing is improving and he is becoming a real presence on the pitch

RRCE

A great performance. I’m very happy for Ole and the boys. It was a well earned victory. Hopefully they can build on it and really finish the season strongly.

In fairness to Ole, that’s the performance / result he’s been looking for against the big teams this season. Today, the players stepped up, we took a couple chances, and got a bit of luck. Unlike some of the other games, the pieces fell into place today.

There were lots of solid performances today. Fred and McTominay worried me at times, though. They worked hard and played a decent game, but their inability to keep possession and pass effectively really holds us back. That‘s a discussion for another day. Enjoy the win and move on to Milan!

croadyman

Ecstatic with the result but tinged with a little bit of disappointment we weren't closer than 14 points, think if we had won on Weds and today then having that gap in single figures would have give us the tiniest hope of a miracle.

Foxbatt

Why did the ref give the drop ball to City when it hit the ref?

meamth

Will Sterling ever beat AWB?

I mean, for all the tactical genius of Pep, why does he constantly putting him against AWB?

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Great result but wouldve been better had we kept our form up in 2021.

Eternitiy

Great result and very good resilient performance. Just so frustrating that we've dropped so many points from far easier fixtures.

Henderson must keep his place. 100%, if Ole can't see this, I shall give up hope.

Waynne

RAWK and BlueMoon meltdowns on the same day.

Loving it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Very happy with this win. This City team might be collectively a good side, but the likes of Aguero, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta and David Silva were much more dangerous when we were up against them.

Sterling has never scored against us in the league, and KDB doesn't quite perform as well against us as he does other teams. The commentators were commenting how none of their front 4 or 6 last night had scored against United.

I know it's the in thing to do, this whole "Manchester is Red" thing going on, but I hope the players realise that's not what matters. The Prem trophy will be decorated with City's colours at the end of the season, and has been for 3 of the past 4 seasons. That has to change.

Wittmann45

Very happy with this win. This City team might be collectively a good side, but the likes of Aguero, Yaya Toure, Kompany, Zabaleta and David Silva were much more dangerous when we were up against them.

Sterling has never scored against us in the league, and KDB doesn't quite perform as well against us as he does other teams. The commentators were commenting how none of their front 4 or 6 last night had scored against United.

I know it's the in thing to do, this whole "Manchester is Red" thing going on, but I hope the players realise that's not what matters. The Prem trophy will be decorated with City's colours at the end of the season, and has been for 3 of the past 4 seasons. That has to change.
He didn't perform that well, but he still played a couple of great crosses/passes that could have easily been goals. That cross to Jesus was perfect, and Jesus proceeded to send it wide from 6 yards out. That just seemed like a cross that Aguero would have capitalized on

KDB didn't look great overall though and he did seem to be more sloppy with the ball than I remember him generally being - really seems like Bernardo Silva should have started

Last edited:

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
We're Man United, we'll end winning runs when we want.
Best thing I've seen all fricking day. I'm just in disbelief we can beat City 2-0 at the Etihad but can't beat Palace at Selhurst

Wittmann45

What's up with Guardiola and Aguero?

Are they in conflict?
Yeah, I don't think he has been getting much playing time

He has been injured for large parts of the last year or so and Pep's plan B after Gabriel Jesus is subbed seems to be playing with a false 9. I don't know if Aguero is even match fit, even though he was on the bench.

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
Amazing win. fecking buzzing. What a way to end our mini-slump!

We run the Etihad. That’s our pitch. Is that 4 wins in 5 now? Hopefully this triggers a collapse for them. Lets not give up just yet! Come on boys!
I highly doubt we can win the league at this point but there is a mathematical chance.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Will Sterling ever beat AWB?

I mean, for all the tactical genius of Pep, why does he constantly putting him against AWB?
If I’m not wrong he did play Sterling on the other side last time we played them, but even Shaw didn’t let him cause any trouble.

I think pep just wanted to let him play in his favoured position.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What's wrong with Cavani? Was there a reason he wasn't in the squad?

downunder red

Just finished watching the replay without knowing the score. I'm totally rapped with that performance. The whole team put in a great workman like shift. The defensive part of the game was carried out by everyone on the field. Well done to Ole and the coaches for getting the team and tactics spot on for the derby.
On to Milan. Can't come soon enough. Bring it on! I'm so happy!!

jackal&hyde

Fantastic defensive performance and good game from the front 3. We missed some quality imo from midfield when in possession in the first half but overall, brilliant game and Ole seems to have Peps number tactically.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If I’m not wrong he did play Sterling on the other side last time we played them, but even Shaw didn’t let him cause any trouble.

I think pep just wanted to let him play in his favoured position.
Sterling should just be dropped against United. He just doesn’t have what it takes against us.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 380 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man City 2:0 Man Utd
  • 17% Man City 3:0 Man Utd