PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:2 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 November 2021

pascell

I said somewhere (maybe in here) that this was going to ruin the academy players, the ones that are Utd's future supposedly. Ronaldo and DDG (and a few others) already know how the game is played and can play to a reasonable level without coaching. The new players cannot do that and it shows.
Don't get me started on the 'coaching', that's if we do any.

Ixion

this 100%

that’s the difference between a proper coach and somebody who knows thinks football is won with fighting spirit. the stupid thing is we don’t even excel in desire and fight like he wants?!

he’s just clueless. he doesn’t even know what he wants either, no wonder the team are so confused.
Souness pointed it out after the game how high City's work rate was so its not like they're lacking any desire yet still play with specific systems and strategies.

The Irish Connection

When it comes down to it, I hate the Glazers and Woodward for making me hate a United legend. He should never have been offered a permanent role. I don’t blame him for taking it, I would, but it doesn’t excuse the glazers for their ongoing ineptitude.
Exactly. On top of all the money they suck out of the club, they make bad decision after bad decision.
Really annoyed me when I heard Souness saying they can’t be blamed at all in all this.

Kostov

This squad didn’t need Ronaldo and Sancho, it needed centre mid quality.
It needed both.

How can you play football with a midfield of McTominay and Fred? And let’s not go any further about how out of his depth the manager is in all aspects of the game

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Listening to Pep after the game everything went exactly how he expected, he knew the system we'd play and how to exploit it.

Then you listen to Ole who always likes to say "you can talk about your systems but its about desire".
Says a homeboy who can't even have the desire to get up his coach and cheer for his boys.

Guardiola is winning and he's up all match long barking instructions.

We have no tactics, no desire, no pride, nothing.

Sviken

Says a homeboy who can't even have the desire to get up his coach and cheer for his boys.

Guardiola is winning and he's up all match long barking instructions.

We have no tactics, no desire, no pride, nothing.
Ole being slumped on his chair, scratching his head, looking miserable says it all. He's totally out of his depth. It is the same thing we witnessed under Moyes. LVG and Mourinho were active coaches, stood on the sidelines, encouraged their team. They weren't good enough by the time we got them, but there were still traces of an actual manager with them. With Moyes and Ole, it is the same thing - two managers totally out of their depth at this level, thinking football is a "simple game".

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
What, is there some arrangement in the Ole Out club to engage in this sort of wankerism? It's all over the board tonight.

Keep your knickers on mate, we all have eyes in our head and there's no need for this rubbish.
I'm not in any club. I'm fed up and depressed. Becoming delusional is something I haven't tried lately, hence the post.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm a bit annoyed at the fans and the media. The ease at which they attack the players for managerial incompetencies is incredible. The talk of pressing for example. We've all seen these players press, but they were literally getting picked apart due to the system. Too close together to create counter attacking opportunities, too close together for the ball to go anywhere...but somehow its their fault. Playing out the way we do is also on the coaches.
This is a measure of cluelessness. Same as the ‘passing backwards is a crime’ brigade. You haven’t the first clue. Never played the game. Never headed a wet heavy ball. Never wore boots out, never even stood in the rain at a feckin football match. So they pick on Fernandez or whoever and talk loudly in here.
Ole Out.

tjb

This is a measure of cluelessness. Same as the ‘passing backwards is a crime’ brigade. You haven’t the first clue. Never played the game. Never headed a wet heavy ball. Never wore boots out, never even stood in the rain at a feckin football match. So they pick on Fernandez or whoever and talk loudly in here.
Ole Out.
No time to argue if you're going to spout nonsense like that. Have you played the game professionally??? Since you're a premier league footballer clearly.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole being slumped on his chair, scratching his head, looking miserable says it all. He's totally out of his depth. It is the same thing we witnessed under Moyes. LVG and Mourinho were active coaches, stood on the sidelines, encouraged their team. They weren't good enough by the time we got them, but there were still traces of an actual manager with them. With Moyes and Ole, it is the same thing - two managers totally out of their depth at this level, thinking football is a "simple game".
To be very fair to Moyes, he was a victim of his gollum like personality. He wasn't a bad manager, as shown by his work in West Ham. Our players never given him a fair crack of the whip, neither does the fans. Will he succeed? I doubted it, but he would fare better if he was given a fair crack at the whip. I can understand that he wants to convey his preferences by showing Jagielka video, but we all know how it got twisted in the end.

Ole is just awful from the start, he's just had the luck of a cat with so many things masking his deficiencies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No time to argue if you're going to spout nonsense like that. Have you played the game professionally??? Since you're a premier league footballer clearly.
I was agreeing with you. ‘You haven’t a clue, so you do/say x,y,x.’ That wasn’t about you, but the poster who attacks the players. Perhaps I should have been clearer…

Sviken

To be very fair to Moyes, he was a victim of his gollum like personality. He wasn't a bad manager, as shown by his work in West Ham. Our players never given him a fair crack of the whip, neither does the fans. Will he succeed? I doubted it, but he would fare better if he was given a fair crack at the whip. I can understand that he wants to convey his preferences by showing Jagielka video, but we all know how it got twisted in the end.

Ole is just awful from the start, he's just had the luck of a cat with so many things masking his deficiencies.
I'm not saying he is a bad manager, he is a much better manager than Ole through and through. And overall a decent manager. All I'm saying is that he was out of his depth in a club of this size.

tjb

I was agreeing with you. ‘You haven’t a clue, so you do/say x,y,x.’ That wasn’t about you, but the poster who attacks the players. Perhaps I should have been clearer…
Oh wow, sorry about that. Its the anger from United keeping Ole

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why do we keep playing ill players? Already done it to Shaw too this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’m a realist. Things go in cycles. We have to wait until the cycle turns in our favour again.
you’re living in the past i’m afraid. this squad isn’t one of needing regeneration, it’s in need of proper management.

the investment has been plentiful and the players are good quality.

Moyes has West Ham playing better football than us, can’t you see that?

BigRon1985

Feel worse than after the Liverpool defeat - total humiliation at the hands at a team not even at their best who toyed with us like a cat with a dead mouse.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I’m not to upset by todays performance. We were playing against what is probably the best team on the planet and we kept it down to 2-0. DeGea immense again and without him, it would have been worse. We have to accept that we are not at the same level as City, Chelsea or Liverpool and a defeat to these teams has to be viewed in that context. Top 6 will do for me this season - we are halfway through a 5 year rebuild.
Sorry but why do we have to accept that? We've got the best striker in the world, top wingers, an excellent no.10, England's starting left back, a world cup winning centre half, an £80m centre half, a world cup winning centre mid, an occasionally world class goalkeeper etc etc. And week after week we play like shit.

It's not good enough by the players, and it's not good enough by a long chalk from the management. The idea that Ole can keep his job on this evidence week after week is laughable, but the board are too incompetent to line up a replacement so we struggle on.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This is Ole's squad mate.
And what's that got to do with what I said?

It's also not true anyway, it's the manager and board's squad. They've mismanaged it for a decade more or less now. It's close to being a really good squad but it's a difficult one to manage and Ole isn't good enough to do it. It's been clear for weeks now.

Coops73

Just awful. 2-0 flattered us to be honest.

Watching United is such a fecking chore at the moment.

I heard a few boos at the end but I feel the match going fans are really going to have to Wade in now, we saw the change it can make with the ESL bollocks and that goes towards the manager and the owner’s themselves.

What a mess :(

peridigm

Great idea sending a player who might not feel well out into lashing rain.
Just when you think his decision making can't get any worse. What the feck is wrong with him to think he's got to play an unfit Rashford over Jesse or even Martial? He sure does have his favorites. I cannot wait for him to be gone. Excluding the squad of players we have now, everything else is at it's lowest point post SAF.

Steve 007

I’ve just watched Keane go mental on skysports, I can’t agree more with everything he said. Fred should not ever have have been in this team.

AndyMUFC

Just absolutely embarrassing. It's been 7 years since we had a similar couple of games against City and Liverpool under Moyes that raise eyebrows and the gulf is bigger than ever at the minute.

We had one way of looking threatening in these games and that was playing on the counter. We've signed Ronaldo and can't play like that anymore and Ole clearly has no idea. There was never any out ball in that team selection to begin with and we couldn't even park the bus properly when we've got 8 defensive players on the pitch.

Something has to give because there's surely no coming back from this now. We were daft enough to let Spurs have Conte and need to somehow find a replacement but this is dire stuff.

Giggsy13

We really need to end the myth perpetuated by Neville that the previous managers were as terrible as Ole. Under LVG we beat Liverpool and City, under Jose he got sacked as soon as he had a dip. But for the most parts we were never easily beaten by rivals.
Neville should be the last to talk about this. He’s become an absolute pelt as an analyst and to continue to argue this view is absolute madness. We’re Man United and we’re operating like a small time club. It’s an absolute embarrassment that we let conte out of our grasp to preserve Ole’s United Way. Our owners are so inept that they bottled sacking Ole. Missed out on Poch and now on Conte.

arthurka

Well and truly dropped the grip of the wheel, Ole should pack his fleece and weatherproof parka it's winter in Norway.

El Zoido

I’ve just watched Keane go mental on skysports, I can’t agree more with everything he said. Fred should not ever have have been in this team.
Is there a full clip of all his comments? I switched over to the cricket the moment the final whistle went.

Rob Bowman

This is as bad a spell as against our main rivals since Moyes. My biggest issue is that it is NOT our players talent level. We have class, we just do not have a system to play. For me this is down to Ole. He has spent bundles of money and the end product is not there. He needs to hold his hand up, accept his responsibility and if he really put club first he would walk.

grumpyoldgit

I would never hate Ole. The guy is a legend for us. He's just out of his depth here. That's it. He's competing against, arguably, the best managers/coaches in world football and we're starting to see his weaknesses.
Starting to see his weaknesses? They've been apparent for most of three years he has been in post.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Sorry but why do we have to accept that? We've got the best striker in the world, top wingers, an excellent no.10, England's starting left back, a world cup winning centre half, an £80m centre half, a world cup winning centre mid, an occasionally world class goalkeeper etc etc. And week after week we play like shit.

It's not good enough by the players, and it's not good enough by a long chalk from the management. The idea that Ole can keep his job on this evidence week after week is laughable, but the board are too incompetent to line up a replacement so we struggle on.
Great though he is, Ronny at 37 is inevitably a flat track bully. He’ll score plenty against the canon fodder but against top defenders, his powers are on the wane. The rest of the team should try and match even 50% of his effort though. In any event, he can’t do it on his own and nobody is stepping up to the plate. Our wingers are bang average. Sancho at £75m is a joke. He’s worth half that. The only thing that looks as bad in the ‘value for money’ stakes is Grealish playing for that lot. Maguire at centre back just isn’t good enough and Luke Shaw gets hung out to dry by what’s in front of him. I think Pogba is a class player, but he doesn’t want to be here. We need stability, we need to deal with our issues bit by bit, we need players who are in their mid 20’s rather than mid 30’s and above all, we need time and patience. This isn’t the first time that we’ve been poor (although we probably have to go back nearly 40 years since we were last like this), but in time, things will improve.

Hoof the ball

This match was the quintessential example of why possession-based, high-press combination approach is extremely useful. If you have the ball for most of the match, you're resting in possession, conserving energy whilst your opponent is tiring. If you win it back, you have a short distance to goal.

Conversely, if you sit back, every time you win it you have 3/4 of the field to run and you're chasing the possession side.

A true top elite team playing possession-based pressure football will always look fresh as a daisy, which is why we need to be better at it!

Zevvythered

Hi all been a united fan since the 80s even though I must admit back then as a kid I nearly moved over to Everton as we were poor.....

having browsed this site for years I have decided to Take the plunge and join not to bash Oli or the players but just feel the time is right For me.

Anyway need to ask and didn’t think this would be my first post on Redcafe but did anybody else hear Harry Maguire at the second goal shout away?? i have read that someone thought it was De Gea but unless he has a English accent now it was def HM..

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 324 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 1:3 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Man City