PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 02 January 2019

croadyman

He's finished, shades of Neville against Stoke. He was scared to go forward because he knew he'd get caught out. His last season for sure.
Wasn't it at half time in the WBA away game later that season where Neville realised his Utd career was done

croadyman

great win given the defensive numbers Newcastle use - the first goal was absolutely crucial and when Newcastle had to attack we really should have scored 4 - overall we weren't at our best in attack and Martial/Pogba were 6 and 7 out of 10 instead of the 9/10 out of 10s we've seen recently

Jones was never in control of situations and Valencia looks a quarter of the player Young did vrs Bournemouth

I felt Matic/Herrera was a bit of overkill and whilst both were very good (especially Herrera) we could have really benefited from a playmaker in one of their roles (Matic's for me)

Mata was tidy but didn't have a great impact

The game seemed to highlight the 4 areas we are most in need of improvement - CB, CM, RW and RB
Could we see any of those areas get addressed in January if the right player was available?

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
Given that I'm still suffering somewhat from PJSD I had a nagging feeling that we would lose last night. I was delighted that wasn't the case. I still need to watch the match!

meamth

Post match team talk:

"Lukaku, How does it feel to be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?"
"Amazing, boss"

Robbie Boy

3-2 earlier this season was one of most end to end games of the season. Not much quality but ones I enjoy watching.

I do get what you're saying though, 1-0 is usually a scoreline between those two.
That match was a complete anomaly between those two managers and the result unfortunate. By all accounts it looked like Jose would have been gone were it not for that comeback.

ship50

Glad to get this win. SJP away is difficult for most teams but we did the job decently. Valencia, sadly, was not up to the mark and maybe going through his final days here. Our defense needs some work, maybe a new addition. Overall, enjoyed the game even though I had to stay up very late.

dutchred

It would be nice if Smalling is fit for the Spurs game. I think he and Lindelof together would be a good partnership

buckooo1978

Could we see any of those areas get addressed in January if the right player was available?
it's a big If isn't it - which clubs want to sell their best players in January

even that Chelsea signing of Pulisic - a sub for Dortmund- tells you a story- they don't want to lose him mid-season

we're in an odd position in that it's clear where we c asn strengthen but do you spend tens of millions on players a future manager might not want

I can see where the rumours of loan signings come from and it's hard to disagree - we need to be planning medium to long term and until we appoint a DoF and Manager it will be quiet

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Lascelles in the first half and Shelvey in the second half. Both were red card offenses, not sure how Newcastle ended the game with 11 men. The ref was a fecking joke.

He then went on to give Lindelof a yellow card for handball when he was pushed in the back whilst jumping for the ball.

Alabaster Codify7

Happy with that! We had to dig deeper and win uglier,and we did.

4/4 for OGS! Lukaku and Sanchez looked committed but rusty and off the pace....Id give both 90mins against Reading.

Onto the next one!

crossy1686

career ending
Still happy with this result and especially after hearing Ole's presser. We were playing the ref and the crowd as well last night, not an easy game at all but we managed the game brilliantly.

Sereques

Why did some people say we didn't play well? You all want 4 goals in first half? :lol:

Newcastle worked hard, the ref was shambles and yet we kept playing our game. SAF team won't do better than that in similar conditions.

EwanI Ted

Pleased with last nights game, it was a different kind of challenge. I thought it might be one where we needed to be patient and it turned out that way. Putting crap teams to the sword by four goals isn’t the only satisfying performance.

Two main worries. One is that the defence looks incredibly vulnerable. Not a stretch to say a better team would have scored at least one yesterday.

The other is that we started to look a shade desperate around the time the first goal came, like we were running out of ideas. The goal came from a mistake, and once it went in we looked fine. But I think we’ll need to stay even more patient in future games.

Still, it was great to see those counter attacks late in the game, Ole being true to his word and getting us to keep attacking even when we’re in the lead.

LiteralDave

Do you know that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Tottenham all won against Newcastle with just a 2-1 scoreline? We won 2-0 and some people are still not happy.
Yeah. People here are being overly critical. Like we are supposed to steamroll them. This was a very good performance in my opinion, given the context of the game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still waiting for those who abused me for suggesting Lindelof would be a good CB to apologise! MoM for me yesterday despite some other obvious candidates. He even makes Jones look good! Shaw was also good. Disappointed by Martial and Pogba was back to his old ways: try to do too much, lose the ball, fall over and lie there expecting the free kick which never comes. Sanchez looked a bit sharper; great pass for Rashford's goal. Overall, a workman-like performance with DDG barely troubled. Still think we need more width and we might regret not moving for Pulisic. Valencia looked overweight and looks done...

UpWithRivers

That felt more like United to me. Yes it was nice hammering Cardiff etc but this is our bread and butter. Away to a Newcastle team that was set up to disrupt and frustrate and kick us and we kept professional and came away with the win. This was more like the Utd of old.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This was a really good result. And although the performance wasn't as fluid as the previous 3 games, we got the job done and 3 points bagged up and ready to clobber Chelsea with on our way past them to 4th.

No one should expect us to thrash every team, scoring 3 - 4 goals each match but to keep battling away and grab 3 points from a difficult away match is fantastic. I'm really pleased for Ole and the team, this is more like the UTD I have grown up with.

One of the biggest positives for me was Lindelof's performance. If he can keep this sort of improvement in his performance up he will become a mainstay in our back line.

reddevil80

Cracking result but I saw a few things last night. 1st, Valencia is done, has his previous employer warned him that if he goes over the halfway line he will get vapourised within 5 seconds? He has to go.

2nd, I rate Martial and have done ever since he came, however, last night he was going down far too easy. Each time an opponent came at him, he dropped!! Imo, this ruins my enjoyment of games and Young got vilified for it, I really hope that Martial gets rid of this aspect sooner rather than later.

Although Newcastle are a stubborn squad with 9 defenders, we struggled to make runs into channels and trying to be more mobile without the ball. I get that there have been 4 games in 11 days and they probably are feeling a bit fatigued but I think the likes of Matic and Herrera could maybe have been rested and started on the bench.

How Shelvey stayed on was beyond me, what a horrible disrespectful tackle. We get it, you're a wannabe hard man but that was diagusting, imagine how Keane would have reacted to that?

Lascelles, another dirty beggar who, I thought, could have gone on another day.

Shaw didn't look his confident self again last night, could his fitness have dropped or just fatigue again?

I was starting to worry Matic had resorted to previous games as I noticed a lot more of his old sideways and backwards passing creeping back into his game. Granted, he still played it forward but I saw a few sidewards when I thought we could have attacked quicker.

Jones, jonesy, jonesy, jonesy! Worrying start but what an outstanding saving tackle. Should never have been in that position but I thought he recovered superbly and then had a relatively commanding game.

Finally, Pogba played really well when he got a chance to keep on his feet after all the hacking.

Just a couple of things I saw.

Mike Smalling

I think last night's result and performance was actually the most satisfying under OGS, because it felt like the first time we were really challenged. It is of course nice to see us play free flowing attacking football, but getting the results against tough sides that really dig in is just as important. Getting the three points and the clean sheet, when Newcastle tried to kick us out of the game felt great!

If only Pogba had scored his chance in the end - that would have been the perfect "f*ck you" to Shelvey :D

Siorac

Wasn't a great performance but we still scored two, could and perhaps should have scored 2-3 more and we finally kept a clean sheet. All that against a well-organised, physical side fighting for survival.

Despite the clean sheet, the defence still looked very shaky at times; that short stretch where Jones and Lindelöf seemed to compete for the award of the most baffling feck-up was frightening. But in the end it was a very professional job overall.

Member 113277

That felt more like United to me. Yes it was nice hammering Cardiff etc but this is our bread and butter. Away to a Newcastle team that was set up to disrupt and frustrate and kick us and we kept professional and came away with the win. This was more like the Utd of old.
Good observation, it felt the same way to me, too. The new manager honeymoon couldn't last forever and a tired team rolled up their sleeves and earned an important away win the hard way.

Keep this up and top 4 looks attainable.

Shiva87

No way Rashford scores that under Jose. He's missed a handful of 1 on 1s with the goalie this season.
That is just extrapolation. He has also scored a handful of goals under Jose. Rashford is just in better form at the moment. Under Jose, he probably does not get that chance in the first place because the players don't press the ball in the same way to win the ball back in midfield.

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
You guys in the UK have it easy. Try getting up at 3:30am to watch your team play.

That aside it was an expected performance by Utd last night. 4 games in as many weeks, travelling away to Newcastle and having to contend with Benitiz tacticts.

Like most here I agree the Mata/Valencia pairing is not workable and clearly weakens our options on the right side. I think Valencia has forgotten to overlap. Might be due to fitness as he looks a little bulkier than usual. I also think he needs to attend Defending 101 classes. Shaw the same. Since Evra is spending so much time in Manchester get him on the training track and have him work one on one with Shaw.

Overall top effort from a side that was always going to come out and hack. Never in doubt we'd get the win though. Ole has got to be in the running for an interview for the Managers position surely?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought Yedlin had a really good game for them up against Martial... I rate him a fair bit to be honest.

I'd maybe have him here? Though not before Wan Bissaka

So refreshing to see United trying to win these away games from the off. Rashford, Pogba, Herrera, Mata, Shaw were all excellent and special mention to Lindelof, who has really come on in the last couple of months. He's looking like he's settling into the pressure of being a United player and is confident.

Phil Jones, just please **** off.

nainaisson

IMHO, 0-2 away to newcastle (against rough players) is a decent result. A true test would definitely be against spurs. Now that even Lukaku is firing and sanchez is back, a win is surely on the cards.
Only if Spurs maintain their reputation as perennial bottlers, in which case Pochettino will be desperate to leave.

simplyared

3 pts from a difficult game against a very well organized team. That said if I was a Geordie I'd be fuming after seeing my team, at home, put in such a defensive display. Benitez deserves a rocket up his arse after playing with those tactics in front of his own fans. Looking at our team (which is the important thing), it was our toughest game since Ole took over and he we must give him credit for his team selection and use of his subs imo. From the game I would highlight the following:
Pogba's performance: Can't believe how bad he was and had very little influence on the game in general. Looked like he couldn't be arsed.
Herrera: The more games he plays the more you love the guy. Another great performance from him. (beginning to look like Robbo class)
Lindelöf: I've slated the player since he came to us. Must eat humble pie after his performance yesterday. Didn't think he had it in him!
Valencia: His lack of wanting to go forward. Nothing was coming from the right flank because of him. Looking like he's past his "sell by date". Difficult to take as I've always seen him as a great athlete!

Last edited:

poleglass red

apart from his rash challenge on Pogba, I was a bit alarmed at how much time on the ball Shelvey was getting when he came on. He has played something like 30 mins football since last Nov I believe the commentator said. He cut us open with that one pass and then had a decent shot himself. That's with us playing 2 defence minded mids against someone who clearly couldn't be match fit.Maybe nitpicking, but against better teams ie Spurs that could be harmful. Good battling performance from the lads and not taking anything away from that, just offering a word of caution.

ChaddyP

3 pts from a difficult game against a very well organized team. That said if I was a Geordie I'd be fuming after seeing my team, at home, put in such a defensive display. Benitez deserves a rocket up his arse after playing with those tactics in front of his own fans. Looking at our team (which is the important thing), it was our toughest game since Ole took over and he we must give him credit for his team selection and use of his subs imo. From the game I would highlight the following:
Pogba's performance: Can't believe how bad he was and had very little influence on the game in general. Looked like he couldn't be arsed.
Herrera: The more games he plays the more you love the guy. Another great performance from him. (beginning to look like Robbo class)
Lindelöf: I've slated the player since he came to us. Must eat humble pie after his performance yesterday. Didn't think he had it in him!
Valencia: His lack of wanting to go forward. Nothing was coming from the right flank because of him. Looking like he's past his "sell by date". Difficult to take as I've always seen him as a great athlete!
He has a first XI assembled with 40 million pounds against a high flying inform Manchester United that are pressing and playing with freedom and deadlyness. He can't go toe to toe with that and I don't think the Newcastle fans disagree. They are fighting for survival and would have bit off an arm for a point in this game I think. Small victory only having a - 2 hit to their GD.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He has a first XI assembled with 40 million pounds against a high flying inform Manchester United that are pressing and playing with freedom and deadlyness. He can't go toe to toe with that and I don't think the Newcastle fans disagree. They are fighting for survival and would have bit off an arm for a point in this game I think. Small victory only having a - 2 hit to their GD.
Agreed, Not much more Benitez can really be doing with the squad he has at his disposal.

I reckon if we had still been manged by Jose, his approach yesterday would have been enough to get them at least a point.

Have to feel sorry for Newcastle fans sometimes... they're a huge club that just continually get shafted by their wanker of an owner.

ChaddyP

Agreed, Not much more Benitez can really be doing with the squad he has at his disposal.

I reckon if we had still been manged by Jose, his approach yesterday would have been enough to get them at least a point.

Have to feel sorry for Newcastle fans sometimes... they're a huge club that just continually get shafted by their wanker of an owner.
What is his end game. Surely he understands staying in the Epl requires investment. Keeps asking for miracles every season from Rafa

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Switches of play to Ashley Young vs Bournemouth: Progression: +90.25 metres
Switches of play to Antonio Valencia vs Newcastle: Progression: -16.00 metres

Another damning stat to go with the his pass map.

This is why we look so unbalanced going forward, because the players all know full well not to give it to Valencia if they want the attack to progress.
I have been saying for some time that Young is often unfairly criticised and his age is used to say that he should be moved on.

He is still very fit and quite fast and can play left or right back.
It is always interesting when a player is not picked to see what is missing and your stat shows that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I have been saying for some time that Young is often unfairly criticised and his age is used to say that he should be moved on.

He is still very fit and quite fast and can play left or right back.
It is always interesting when a player is not picked to see what is missing and your stat shows that.
Certainly agree with this, and I think he's got plenty of life left in him at 33.
I suppose the truth is that he shouldn't necessarily be the main starter for a club like us though. As a backup to both left and right back he'd be ideal though I think.

KristianMackle

If we're still playing Jones at CB against Spurs, we will lose for sure. I hope Smalling is back.

lex talionis

Newcastle are a mess but it's still a satisfying win. We ground it out against a side that took a 0-2 lead on us at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

In the lessons learned category, it has to begin with Valencia. He probably has a few decent performances left in him but it's pretty much over for him at this level. We definitely shouldn't see Valencia and Mata on the pitch at the same time again. Lukaku as a super sub may be in the cards. Sure, it was only a spilled ball cleanup goal but Lukaku came on with energy and didn't sulk about because he didn't start. But above all it was the fight late in the game that was impressive -- the players are playing for something larger than their paychecks, which is what it's all about.

GJNJ

People keep saying that we are giving away chances and better teams will punish us but every team gives away chances every game, even the ones above us.
Better teams may well score but also they will leave spaces when they are attacking. They will be as worried about us as we are them.

We wanted attacking football and that's what you get.

There was only really one time when I was concerned in this game when calamity Jones showed his worst and best (giving the ball away and then a great recovery tackle). I may have forgotten an incident but the rest of the shots were speculative or from difficult angles.

Member 113277

People keep saying that we are giving away chances and better teams will punish us but every team gives away chances every game, even the ones above us.
Better teams may well score but also they will leave spaces when they are attacking. They will be as worried about us as we are them.

We wanted attacking football and that's what you get.

There was only really one time when I was concerned in this game when calamity Jones showed his worst and best (giving the ball away and then a great recovery tackle). I may have forgotten an incident but the rest of the shots were speculative or from difficult angles.
You make a good point.

If we kept up the performance for the last 4 matches, we'd score 133 and concede 28.5 over the season. It's highly unlikely that we could score so highly, but we did only concede 28 last season, so I see no reason why we cannot aim to score 90 per year and concede 30 to 35 - it will take some coaching and possibly a new centre back, but it is attainable and would be title challenging stuff.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 497 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Newcastle 1:3 Man Utd
  • 17% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd