PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2019

Revaulx

Because when Jose was very honest and slated the players, he got completely vilified in the press and by the fans. Jose was spot on about this squad. Absolute disgrace, no heart, no passion and no talent. Finishing 2nd was a miracle.
Why did they make so many comebacks under him then? That was the only likeable aspect of his spell with us.

buchansleftleg

Simon Jordan on Talksport said that Young would have been thinking he'd be MLS by now. That is where he should be, but we kept giving him contracts.
Well I said with one week to go to the end of the transfer window closing that if we didn't sign a midfielder and a striker, and was still depending on Matic, Young and Mata we would be in a relegation scrap. I was roundly criticized and was told it was the most ridiculous post of the year so far.

I'd have preferred to have been proven wrong to be honest.

Hughie77

AZ Alkmar, was awful on Thursday, pretty much same yesterday, as said in previous post, rudderless no direction, Rashford is not on anyone's page, poor CM no plans just bad football, we cannot score goals.

I'm guessing the board is waiting to see when injured players return if it changes, otherwise oles gone, or gone anyway.

I don't know many on here were willing to give ole a go, I was one, but early on I could see the wheels falling off, we be in 15th place by next weekend, he has to go then , who comes in I don't know, but if this was Chelsea he would have gone by now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well I said with one week to go to the end of the transfer window closing that if we didn't sign a midfielder and a striker, and was still depending on Matic, Young and Mata we would be in a relegation scrap. I was roundly criticized and was told it was the most ridiculous post of the year so far.

I'd have preferred to have been proven wrong to be honest.

I would prefer that as well. People cannot close their eyes to the fact that a big club can go down. It has happened to us before, not long after being European champions. Money will not keep us up if people keep making the wrong decisions.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Why did they make so many comebacks under him then? That was the only likeable aspect of his spell with us.
Cus thats exactly the point of putting pressure on the players. So they react to the words and fight back, show their professionalism.

Remember Law and Best

A brilliant manager, but those were all terrible errors, and it sounds like there was no succession plan in place at all. However, running Man Utd is such an all-encompassing job it should have been up to those above him to organise that process. Ferguson's recommendation of Moyes shouldn't have counted for as much as it did.

I'm of the age group remembering the time when Sir Matt retired, how many managers until Sir Alex, seems like leasons were not learnt and history is repeating itself.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Because they were far far better drilled and had a system of play.
The useless lazy gits may have hated Jose, because the truth hurts but he was nothing like as bad as many of our supporters were saying at the time.
As I continue to say, it was a lost opportunity for both United and Jose.

RORY65

Cus thats exactly the point of putting pressure on the players. So they react to the words and fight back, show their professionalism.
They played well once they ignored him and had to go for it. You can't start games like we did so often under Mourinho (including the FA Cup semi final and final) and claim that team was being motivated by the manager.

Maticmaker

People cannot close their eyes to the fact that a big club can go down. It has happened to us before, not long after being European champions. Money will not keep us up if people keep making the wrong decisions.
Agreed! Its becoming (ominously) similar to what happened in the late sixties and early seventies, after Sir Matts reign, the names of the people involved may have changed but the same scenario is playing out in a frightening similar way. Managers come and go, unable to move against the inertia that has built up inside the club, fans longing for a return to playing 'the United Way', finally a manager who arrives to sort out the dead wood, the problem is Ole is now where near being a Tommy Doc, far too nice a guy, but hope springs eternal, the international break might just save him!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I would prefer that as well. People cannot close their eyes to the fact that a big club can go down. It has happened to us before, not long after being European champions. Money will not keep us up if people keep making the wrong decisions.
Yes. It is not a money issue.
It is totally down to rank bad management.
And the thing is that rank bad management don't understand the problem.
It needs a top down transformation aimed at creating a world class management structure and not simply a blame culture. And that has to be done at each and every part of the club.

Revaulx

Because they were far far better drilled and had a system of play.
The useless lazy gits may have hated Jose, because the truth hurts but he was nothing like as bad as many of our supporters were saying at the time.
As I continue to say, it was a lost opportunity for both United and Jose.
I don’t remember much about a system of play in his second season. The quality of football seemed to decline in direct relation to Matic’s decline in form. Just because we looked considerably less hopeless than we do now doesn’t mean he was doing a great job.

I do think the criticism of his man management was well over the top though, and prior to the final meltdown I don’t think there was any evidence that the players didn’t like him. Not even Pogba.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don’t remember much about a system of play in his second season. The quality of football seemed to decline in direct relation to Matic’s decline in form. Just because we looked considerably less hopeless than we do now doesn’t mean he was doing a great job.

I do think the criticism of his man management was well over the top though, and prior to the final meltdown I don’t think there was any evidence that the players didn’t like him. Not even Pogba.
The second season that we finished 2nd you mean.
That by any standards was a great achievement.

Martialfc

Wha the heck? He let herrera and lukaku go who are way better than lingard and rashford. We will never win anything with low quality players like Jlingz and Beans and you think this is the right direction?

Brexit FC is a sinking ship we need talent not nationalism
He didn’t let Herrera go. Herrera left of his own accord. Lukaku wasn’t the answer, he was terrible for us and if we wanted to build something he had to go. That being said we should of replaced him Ole said that he wanted to bring in a striker and that never happened.

I am Lingards biggest critic I hate the man. He’s useless and steals a living but Ole has to play them because we didn’t sign anyone. We let Valencia, Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez go and only signed a CB RB and LW. So even there we are down two players. When you combine that with injuries no wonder the squad is stretched.

This is short term pain for long term gain. Letting Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini and Valencia go was the right decision. No one wanted Herrera to go but here we are. Just going to be a long season that’s all.

DomesticTadpole

It was an achievement in hindsight and we should have built on it, but the club were satisfied with it. Jose wasn't. He is a winner and wanted to move us on.

DomesticTadpole

He didn’t let Herrera go. Herrera left of his own accord. Lukaku wasn’t the answer, he was terrible for us and if we wanted to build something he had to go. That being said we should of replaced him Ole said that he wanted to bring in a striker and that never happened.

I am Lingards biggest critic I hate the man. He’s useless and steals a living but Ole has to play them because we didn’t sign anyone. We let Valencia, Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez go and only signed a CB RB and LW. So even there we are down two players. When you combine that with injuries no wonder the squad is stretched.

This is short term pain for long term gain. Letting Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini and Valencia go was the right decision. No one wanted Herrera to go but here we are. Just going to be a long season that’s all.
A long season? Let's hope it is not a disastrous season.

el3mel

I am Lingard biggest critic I hate the man. He’s useless and steals a living but Ole has to play them because we didn’t sign anyone. We let Valencia, Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini and Sanchez go and only signed a CB RB and LW. So even there we are down two players. When you combine that with injuries no wonder the squad is stretched.

Except teams aren't built like this. You don't feck up the entire squad in one market. By this to even be relevant again you will need +250m spent to be even a regular top 4 side which is impossible to be done in next summer and guess what, we may even have Pogba leaving next summer which will require more spending over this 250m. By the time we actually spend them our good players would have left or became past it and need replacement and so on.

You should only mass sell when you have enough funds to splash the cash on 6 players at once in one market like City. Otherwise the team should be built gradually. You have players who aren't top tier but were of a benefit several times. Sell like 2 of them then replace them, and next summer do the same. Put a constructive plan of renewing and rebuilding the squad over a course of markets without destroying the balance of the team.

What Ole did is simply fecking up the squad and leaving the next manager with a near impossible task of getting enough funds to make this team any relevant again. It's no difference than what LVG did in his second season and he paid the price for that.

GioF

Makes me wonder how much worse yesterday’s performance would of been if we had played more of the youth players and benched the underperforming older players.

De Gea
Laird. Axel. Maguire(c). Dalot
McTom
Pereira. Gomes
Greenwood. Rashford. James

That to me would of given us all the things we want from our starting 11. Quality, speed, work rate etc. Sure they would make errors as they grow but at least we’d have reason to watch.

To see the same system with the likes of Mata, Fred, Young and the likes of just makes you want to blow your brains out.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Makes me wonder how much worse yesterday’s performance would of been if we had played more of the youth players and benched the underperforming older players.

De Gea
Laird. Axel. Maguire(c). Dalot
McTom
Pereira. Gomes
Greenwood. Rashford. James

That to me would of given us all the things we want from our starting 11. Quality, speed, work rate etc. Sure they would make errors as they grow but at least we’d have reason to watch.

To see the same system with the likes of Mata, Fred, Young and the likes of just makes you want to blow your brains out.
Eww.

Revaulx

And lost to Sevilla thanks to shitty tactics ;)

You can spin it any way you like in support of whichever faction you care to side with. I reckon I’m fairly objective and fair minded, and I don’t like to see people unfairly lambasted. Thus I will stick up for Jose who’s been unfairly pilloried over his man management, and for the players who Ole fans maintain are now apparently worse than Newcastle but managed to finish second just over a year ago. Oh yes, and the “deadwood” whose departure they’re all orgasming over largely helped us to achieve that second place.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And lost to Sevilla thanks to shitty tactics ;)

You can spin it any way you like in support of whichever faction you care to side with. I reckon I’m fairly objective and fair minded, and I don’t like to see people unfairly lambasted. Thus I will stick up for Jose who’s been unfairly pilloried over his man management, and for the players who Ole fans maintain are now apparently worse than Newcastle but managed to finish second just over a year ago. Oh yes, and the “deadwood” whose departure they’re all orgasming over largely helped us to achieve that second place.
You are right. The Sevilla game was terrible in every way.
I am trying to be equally fair minded and have not jumped on the 'sack Ole' train.
The problems affecting Manchester United run far deeper than just the manager although he is not capable enough in my opinion to be able to deal with the awful team performances.

snowkarl

Who would you play instead? Maybe start Chong RW and put Greenwood as the ST?
Williams at LB instead?! Not exactly earth shattering is it
Chong has been an utter disappointment every time he's made an appearance... he's nowhere near ready. Gomes' total impact even against literal division 3 opponents was zero.

Greenwood despite his talent has been very disappointing in every one of his league appearances and not been able to leave his mark even once so far.

Playing these, for now, sub par, nowhere near ready kids, is not the answer. We will literally get relegated with the XI you wrote down just now - it honestly wouldn't even make the top half in the championship.

Full bodied red

Stupid mistake to let him go, in my opinion.

Not the most talented footballer, to be sure, but at least gave 101% every match and offered something different when it was needed.

Compare that with what we became after he left and what we now have to watch week in, week out.

Name Changed

weso26
At half time Newcastle were 11/4 to win the game. I put 20 quid on. I was that confident that we would lose. They were simply better than us.

moodyred

They wouldn't let me submit a 0 rating for Fred. They should allow negative rating actually because he is counter productive.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’ve been restrained to this point but I’ve reached my breaking point with Ole. He needs to go. Now is the time. Do it during the international break. We have Liverpool in a fortnight, then at Norwich who annihilated City. That’s 6 points lost in the next two matches and we’re likely in the psychologically jarring relegation position. Do it NOW. That is all.
No point in him going without Woodward going. No point in Woodward going without the Glazer disease going

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Ok now that everyone has left let’s go over the dastardly plan one more time. Agent Ole is here to clean up the match day thread, scare off the plastic fans. This in turn weakens the Glazer Vomit, and loosens Woodys grip too. He knows he’ll be lambasted and the fans won’t chant his name anymore. But he’s taking one for the club.

See his brilliant ideas - team selection, use of subs, confidence sapping routines - to get us relegated will save us in the end. But shhh! Don’t tell anyone

I'm ashamed to say I stuck fifty quid on Newcastle at 7/2. It just looked like free money, so I took it. I've never placed a bet against us in my life until yesterday. This is where we are, a mess from top to bottom. The board are useless/uninterested; the players aren't good enough, and Ole doesn't seem to know how to change it. It's a very bleak situation.

Martialfc

Except teams aren't built like this. You don't feck up the entire squad in one market. By this to even be relevant again you will need +250m spent to be even a regular top 4 side which is impossible to be done in next summer and guess what, we may even have Pogba leaving next summer which will require more spending over this 250m. By the time we actually spend them our good players would have left or became past it and need replacement and so on.

You should only mass sell when you have enough funds to splash the cash on 6 players at once in one market like City. Otherwise the team should be built gradually. You have players who aren't top tier but were of a benefit several times. Sell like 2 of them then replace them, and next summer do the same. Put a constructive plan of renewing and rebuilding the squad over a course of markets without destroying the balance of the team.

What Ole did is simply fecking up the squad and leaving the next manager with a near impossible task of getting enough funds to make this team any relevant again. It's no difference than what LVG did in his second season and he paid the price for that.
I agree what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s Oles fault I think it’s the boards. He said he wanted a striker and they never delivered be it there wasn’t really anyone available at the time.. It was a board decision to offload Sanchez not Oles in my opinion. We needed to cash in on Lukaku we got £75m for him somehow. No one else would of bought him for that much. Our injuries are horrendous right now 6 of the 11 that beat Chelsea are out. We’be just fallen on hard times and people are looking for someone to blame. I do think Ole is getting a lot of pressure on him but it’s not all his fault.

USREDEVIL

Since we have 2 weeks to chew on this "interesting" performance i just have one message to the players:

It's ok, we will "get them next time." Rinse and repeat.

DSG

Silver linings....

Great performance by Tuanzebe. I think he will become a fine CB. Reminds me a bit of Rio.

That’s it.

I do find the anger and resentment at the starting 11 today as puzzling.

We’ve seen a lot of this team and there is not a single midfielder or forward that has the quality to start for a United team. I suppose we could get mad at them, but it’s like getting mad at a 2 year old child because they can’t read. They just aren’t capable of doing what we want them to do.

A lot of people mad at Ole. That’s fine. I’m just not sure how much you can blame him as the squad is not good enough.

Devil77

A lot of people mad at Ole. That’s fine. I’m just not sure how much you can blame him as the squad is not good enough.
It depends on how much he had to say about the transfer window this summer. If he ok'd the departures of Lukaku and Sanchez and thought we could rely on Rashford and the youngsters he should take part of the blame. Then, of course, we are hampered by having injuries to our regular full backs as well as our two best offensive players.

Maticmaker

I think most people accept that to dismantle the mismatch of players Ole inherited would take time, bringing in new players, 'blooding' youngsters, etc. all needs a balancing act. What seems to be the problem is our tactics. Against the so called top teams, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester and Wolves we got two wins and two draws, but against the lower teams who shut up shop and hit us on the break, we don't have a answer! True we have injuries, but there is no real cutting edge to our play. James down the middle may be one solution his speed will disorientate defences, but he needs back up; Rashford and Mason Greenwood as a front pair might work, it was the only time we troubled Newcastle yesterday.

Its not a case of 'winning ugly' its just a case of finding a way to win. I fear that if we do slip into the relegation zone, we will battle to get out, we are not use to those pressures, the players, the club, or the fans. Come on Ole find that formulae for winning, for each game if necessary, choose what's the best approach, throw away those stale training schemes that probably relate to us being in the top six, we are not there any more, not even close, dig in lad!

Baneofthegame

We have squad players basically starting, some of them not in their natural positions. Which has stemmed from our recruitment in the summer again.

Which is further compounded by making the same mistakes and playing the same way regardless of how poorly we are achieving it.

Lee565

What does it say that we have seen Steve Bruce have the balls to throw youngster in the first 11 for his debut in a big match against us and arsenal were willing to put saka in the first 11 in a big match against us but Solskjear who has kept banging on about our culture of playing young kids and happy with depleted squad because of all the young potential we have, has played it safe.

He has continued to choose the likes of mata, lingard, young and matic over giving a starting 11 spot to Greenwood, Gomes, William's, garner in any premier league match, even axel wasnt fully trusted in the premier league and only got the chance of a starting spot because of injuries.

Sweet Square

What does it say that we have seen Steve Bruce have the balls to throw youngster in the first 11 for his debut in a big match against us and arsenal were willing to put saka in the first 11 in a big match against us but Solskjear who has kept banging on about our culture of playing young kids and happy with depleted squad because of all the young potential we have, has played it safe.

He has continued to choose the likes of mata, lingard, young and matic over giving a starting 11 spot to Greenwood, Gomes, William's, garner in any premier league match, even axel wasnt fully trusted in the premier league and only got the chance of a starting spot because of injuries.
Greenwood and Gomes played in Europe mid week. You can't just play youth players 100% of the time.

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 473 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd
  • 16% Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd