PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Perfect result after that last debacle - recover that goal difference a bit!

Great confidence booster for everyone in general, but especially for Wan Bissaka, Maguire and a Rashford.

OverratedOpinion

Yes, Juan Mata, Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Van De Beek all know less about how to play football than you.

Morpheus 7

Happy with result, great end after poor start. I'm not sure about Ole and his team selections. Big result for Ole, have doubts long term though.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Fred and McTominay's energy in midfield set the tone for the performance and some lovely attacking combinations all through the game. Nice win.
McT was solid. The game I watched - Fred was pretty useless, so not sure I agree.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Good reaction to going down. Played with more aggression and energy and it wasn't as easy to run right through the middle as it has been in all the other games this season. Positive performance and a much needed 3 points.

rooney2009

Need to continue with Fred and Scot in midfield till we get our confidence back
They have started 3 games and we have won them both including the Carabo Cup

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
4 goals away from home without Martial and Greenwood. That's quality.

Though I wonder if playing in effect, three strikers up top reduces creativity a bit at times? Not sure. For now we enjoy 4 goals away!

HowYouDoin

Finally looked like we're match fit.
All about energy in the midfield. Its not even a match fitness thing.
Fred and McTominay has always been our best midfield pairing, much much better than Pogba and Matic. Difference was very obvious.
Neither Pogba nor Matic should start again. If you want to change Fred or McTominay you try to play VDB instead one of them but not Pogba or Matic. Both too slow, no energy from either of them.

Jonno

DDG wondersave
Maguire goal
Rashford brilliant up top
Bruno bagging worldy goals again

Very happy with that, feck the haters, up the reds

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Played well and deserved to win. I like the look of the Beek.

Andi Latte

As much as the scoreline flatters to deceive, I'm very happy with the 3 points.

I'd never thought I'd write this in 2020, but Mata was a welcome breath of fresh air. Goes to show how much a technical player can do on the wind, especially when you have James on the other side for comparison.

Make no mistake, Newcastle really are shit defensively, but today I don't want to complain.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Writing us off after first three games was plain idiocy by media and sadly, most of our fans. We have a lot of creativity in this team. We lacked crosses and pure box predator, a guy who like to camp in opposition’s box. We got two fantastic players to do that job. We are much stronger than last season. No pre season affected us temporarily. In the long run, our quality will show

mustaine

Didn’t think we were that good for large parts of the game, but turned the turbo on for the last 15 minutes.

Bruno is a weird player. Diabolical performance but crucial goal contributions.

Rashford won a pen, created two goals, and bagged one.

Mata was great.

Maguire was better than he’s been.

Pogba didn’t put a foot wrong. VDB too.
Don’t understand this... he scored a goal, had an assist, 6 key passes, won 4 tackles, had 3 interceptions, 2 clearances and even won 1 header.

Sure he takes chances (all the time) but he is obviously our best player going forward, or just best player, period. Problem is that all our players tend to stand in or around the box so he has to work in small spaces. Of course he misses an easy pass here and there (which he should work on) but in all honesty we would be totally lost without him in my opinion.

VivaRonaldo85

Sensational result given the circumstances and starting XI.

I hold my hands up for my criticism of Juan Mata and admit I was wong based on his performance tonight. Fantastic display.

Silverman

Controlled the game. Newcastle were awful.

Mata fantastic and James was a lot better.
Delighted for AWB and his first ever senior goal.
Rashford and Bruno worked very hard.

3 badly needed points.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A game we should be winning so it’s a step in the right direction and will give them confidence. What we know is that James has to start right. McT is better than Matic from a fitness and speed angle. Bruno is very resilient. Maguire showed guts

To the posters who were slagging off AWB, feck off! To the posters who constantly slag Rashford off, feck off too!:)

Get In Scholesy

This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.
Not quite sure how people’s cream has anything to do with direction of the club.

caid

Improved as the match wore on and ended looking like a decent team again. Newcastle were a pretty perfect opponent. We were mostly solid and functional throughout which is an improvement over the amateur hour stuff of previous matches. There were a few moments of panic and we looked like we could sink back into some comedy defending if Newcastle kept pressure on for more than 30 seconds. Dont think we've turned the corner just yet. Next couple of games could be hard work.

reelworld

VdB, Mata, Bruno and Pogba are brilliant footballers who should play together more often. When you surround players who play quick football with one another, you get great football.

Mata especially was sensational tonight.
Don't think Pogba deserve to be in this list. He doesn't play quick one touch passes often enough. VDB on the other hand :drool:

RashyForPM

3 goals with Bruno, Mata, Pogba and VdB on the pitch at the same time. Intelligence. These guys are all clever players and helped us unlock the tight Newcastle defence. The brain is the most important body part in football.

Tarrou

This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.
take a fecking day off :lol:

Devil may care

First half we had good energy and tempo but mixed quality with the ball bar Mata who was superb throughout. Second half everyone tightened up in possession, Rashford and James started to get in on the quick pass and move play and we penned them in.

A vital 3 points but also a much needed improvement in performance that will hopefully prep up the confidence of several of our underperformers.

Bulldog United

We needed this result and performance with the games we've got coming up. Let's hope we see some confidence building up from here and positive results.

It's been a good day with Liverpool getting done by VAR among other events, and Chelsea dropping points in the dying moments.

Two big games to look forward to next week. Let's go.

Alek M

Da manic one
  • This game showed that we really don't need Pogba.So many wasteful Hollywood long passes
  • Bruno was wasteful at times too. Tried too much but never stopped contributing
  • Rashford was outstanding,our best center forward
  • Fred and McT worked hard in midfield. Helped cut off every time Newcastle tried going forward
  • I wish mata was 5 years younger
  • Happy for Maguire to show character after everything going against him and play an excellent game
  • De Gea played well,what a save. Dean not yet
  • AWB more of that please!
Where is Greenwood?

PSG we are coming for you!

AndyMUFC

Even though the goals came late to win us the game, I thought we were very good for much of that. Much better tempo and cohesion.

Bruno is one of those players where even when he's had a frustrating game overall he can make the difference.

Rolaholic

VdB, Mata, Bruno and Pogba are brilliant footballers who should play together more often. When you surround players who play quick football with one another, you get great football.

Mata especially was sensational tonight.
Agreed,its no coincidence the goals started flowing once they came on the pitch. We looked consistently threatening with all of them helping out moving forward.

Bruno looked so much better as well with their introductions

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good confidence booster for everyone associated with the club after this wretched few weeks.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd