PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

Okey

Just what this doctor ordered! 3 points, any which way. Well done boys. Penalty monkey off Bruno's back as well. Never a pen anyway from the clip I've seen. Cavani and Telles in for midweek. We march on...

HJ12

Positives:
  • Maguire came through unscathed and looked alot more assured at the back. In addition, he was a threat on set-pieces for a change.
  • Mata played a very intelligent game, and showed he can still help out when called upon.
  • Rashford looked lively and his pace and change of direction burned Newcastle a few times today. Onwards and upwards for him hopefully.
  • James finally got a game off the left hand side, and looked decent (apart from his decision-making).
  • AWB scored!
Negatives:
  • Screw that, I'm enjoying this win for now!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So happy!

Like I always believe, confidence is a big thing for this team. They are more than capable to do much much better. I wish some of our fans would stay away from the toxicity and just let the team be. Of course we have problems but.....

Everyone needs to keep working harder and let's take one game at a time.

Anyway, well done to all the players today.

Happy for Wan to get a goal. Maybe he will stop being so timid going forward. At least I hope so.

DarkRed

Hell yeah!!! Fergie time mother f@#$%s !!!
Bruno had a very bad game but ended with a goal, gonna rate tomorrow when sober.

Ranie

Great teamwork today and a well deserved victory. Mata adds a much needed balance to the team. Also thought McTominay and Fred did well.

Nik70

Great performance and win especially after all the negativity surrounding the team selection before the game. Mata was brilliant!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Fantastic game. Big win against a good, in-form opposition. Could not have enjoyed it any more. With the starting line-up, I think we were all terrified that we would lose again. Sweet win before the game against PSG.

Tarrou

I got the starting midfield I wanted, and I thought they did well

Solid performance overall, and deserved win

Jazz

Positives:
  • Maguire came through unscathed and looked alot more assured at the back. In addition, he was a threat on set-pieces for a change.
  • Mata played a very intelligent game, and showed he can still help out when called upon.
  • Rashford looked lively and his pace and change of direction burned Newcastle a few times today. Onwards and upwards for him hopefully.
  • James finally got a game off the left hand side, and looked decent (apart from his decision-making).
  • AWB scored!
Negatives:
  • Screw that, I'm enjoying this win for now!
That's the spirit mate! Let's just enjoy and stay positive. One game at a time.

Godfather

Once those defences break up a bit we really look the part. Beautiful. Still need to learn how to crack them open more often.

MrSingh2002

So who starts the next game vs Chelsea?

To get the best players in I go with.

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles
Pogba Matic VdB
Fernandes
Mata Rashford

KcB32

Dodgy game for the most part, but we dominated as soon as our best players came on.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I feel like VdB is well capable of playing in Fred's role, I'd love us to give it a try.

Pogba can stay on the bench, not impressed. Doesn't even come to collect the ball off the defenders when playing deep despite being our best passer. Moron.

Nik70

Baffling, really, how some people can pick on McT after this game. Not flashy, but didn't put a foot wrong, really tidy match. Must have had 90%+ pass completion.
I agree. Thought he was great especially on the defensive side of things. He shut things down and allowed the attacking players to play with freedom. Fred on the other hand was abysmal. His passing was shocking.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well done. Hard to pick a MoTM.
Yeah it is. I thought Bruno had the most important contributions, so he's my MOTM. Mata was especially classy and purposeful (that pass from that awful ball by James into Rashford's stride was outstanding). McTominay grafted and showed that in stoppage time when he took care of a chaotic defense and won the ball for our counter attacking goal. And Rashford back to his best tonight.

Untd55

Sort of felt the result was a bit flattering. It was a decent performance against a team that played very poorly. The game was lacking in quality for long periods outside of Fernandes. For long periods I felt like I was watching two mid-table teams; it seemed to be played at a pretty slow pace.

They didn't press us, their passing was poor, their first touch was poor. They didn't really do a lot, and I still felt that another team could have caused us a lot of issues.

We struggled to score from open play again. Our defence wasn't really tested with them not really making use of their pace.

There is still a lot of work to do.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.

Jazz

It was important to show that the they could bounce back from the last awful result. Need them to be resilient because the pressure is not going away.

Get In Scholesy

Showcased some balance for a change. It was probably our best performance this season. Probably due to the influence of Juan and Bruno.

Brucie man of the match.
Happy for Maguire to get the equalizer.

HarryRedCrumbs

Go on the Reds! As per usual took a while to warm up then played really well, nice and fluid. I just wish we could be consistent, but we'll get there...! Really happy to see AWB score. Just need Fred to put one in this season now pleaase.

RashyForPM

Also never challenged him on crosses. There were two high balls into the box that we let him have a free catch. Not saying to flatter the guy, but definitely put a body on him
Yes. We got cleverer though, all credit to the lads. We actually started shooting and got a couple of goals.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Great performance good result.

Given the hilarious knee jerk overreaction to the last game this result must mean we’re winning the league now.
Liverpool may have lost Mane and VVD for months, so who knows. Maybe we are winning the league. Stranger things have happened... Like - us finishing 3rd last season? I doubt it of course.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Finally looked like we're match fit.

The Irish Connection

fecking great ! performance was patchy, but the intensity to win the ball back in midfield was there! delighted for Maguire ! nearly scored another too. Fernandes was sloppy but nearly had a hat trick and an assist. Mata, excellent, fair play. just happy with the win.
can we please just build on that a bit now.

HowYouDoin

I feel like VdB is well capable of playing in Fred's role, I'd love us to give it a try.

Pogba can stay on the bench, not impressed. Doesn't even come to collect the ball off the defenders when playing deep despite being our best passer. Moron.
All true.

neilv93

Thought we played very well and controlled the game from the third minute on. Match stats don't always tell the whole story but tonight they did: 64% possesion, 28 shots to seven (14 on target), seven corners, four goals and all that having missed a penalty. Great performance from the lads - Rashford and Bruno were outstanding.

always_hoping

A real mood changer. Balance of play Man United fully deserved to win by a 3 goal margin. Bruno showed his leadership qualities after he missed that penalty.

Delano

VdB, Mata, Bruno and Pogba are brilliant footballers who should play together more often. When you surround players who play quick football with one another, you get great football.

Mata especially was sensational tonight.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd