PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

reelworld

Don’t understand this... he scored a goal, had an assist, 6 key passes, won 4 tackles, had 3 interceptions, 2 clearances and even won 1 header.

Sure he takes chances (all the time) but he is obviously our best player going forward, or just best player, period. Problem is that all our players tend to stand in or around the box so he has to work in small spaces. Of course he misses an easy pass here and there (which he should work on) but in all honesty we would be totally lost without him in my opinion.
Exactly. You need our most creative player to play those passes. And it's not he's lazy to get it back. He's workrate is exemplary

MonkeysMagic

Solid game, dominated for large periods. W0as thinking Darlow would save everything but in the end the scoreline justified the domination.

PS. Message for Ole...start VdB.

Ludens the Red

Emphatic win but feck me Newcastle are a woeful side. I genuinely had no idea what their tactics were other than pass to ASM and hope for the best. Perfect game to play after Spurs, freedom to have lots of the ball, space etc. Still though, impressive end to the game, killing them off like that.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Should have been home and dry sooner. Some nice goals tonight. Defensively more solid too.

Hopefully a symbolic turning point with Bruno missing a pen, yet then turning around a sloppy performance with a great goal and assist. We need much more of that from him.

Rashford playing like that may well be another threat for Martial’s place up front. Inside left is his danger zone, but you can fit an extra midfielder in with Rash floating between the two.

Can7onA

A ballsy performance and that was needed.

The DDG save at 1-1 shouldn't be overlooked, top class.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
All about energy in the midfield. Its not even a match fitness thing.
Fred and McTominay has always been our best midfield pairing, much much better than Pogba and Matic. Difference was very obvious.
Neither Pogba nor Matic should start again. If you want to change Fred or McTominay you try to play VDB instead one of them but not Pogba or Matic. Both too slow, no energy from either of them.
It is also a fitness thing, not just in energy but mentally.

manunited1919

I hope Mata is used more this season,he is a smart player and if surrounded by quality he can be a very useful player.

0le

I won't lie, I was ready to throw in the towel after the first goal. I thought "here we go again". But the players did well, we created chances and thoroughly deserved the win. Bring on PSG!

OrcaFat

Good win and some of the football was excellent. Will be interesting to see how the “first 11” shapes up come December. Donny surely in. McT good today, quite calm and disciplined, possible future no. 6.

Some of the football was a joy to watch.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So much to enjoy about that performance. Even at 1-1 I'm thinking how well we have played.

Firstly, the team selection. I knew the masses would see Mata and James and groan, but I was pleased to see a Fred & McTominay combination in midfield. We do look a much more balanced team with those two in there. How much of this was down to the upcoming fixture list i dont know, but I did get a sense of 'Oles going with his trusted XI here'.

Going a goal down so early after losing 6-1 is a big test, but the team just got on with it, showed our character, played our football, and pretty much dominated the entire game. 4-1 is a result that justifies how the game played out despite those goals being so late.

Everybody played well, but for me McTominay was MOM today. I look at my notes and its full of 'good forward pass McT, good defensive cover McT, good forward pass McT'. It was everything that Matic has been doing lately with extra energy, and he and Fred have an understanding that provides a platform that allows us to dominate games like this one.

Rashford looking like his pre-injury self. AWB getting a goal. Maguire getting back on it. Mata playing his way into being a good option. Its a good night for the club and the fans

choccy77

• This game showed that we really don't need Pogba.So many wasteful Hollywood long passes
  • Bruno was wasteful at times too. Tried too much but never stopped contributing
  • Rashford was outstanding,our best center forward
  • Fred and McT worked hard in midfield. Helped cut off every time Newcastle tried going forward
  • I wish mata was 5 years younger
  • Happy for Maguire to show character after everything going against him and play an excellent game
  • De Gea played well,what a save. Dean not yet
  • AWB more of that please!
Where is Greenwood?

PSG we are coming for you!

Van Der Beek needs to start for sure - Mata was decent, Bruno was ok, but i'm sure for his standards, still below par, but i'm sure confidence and fitness will comeback to him, but the team also needs to play at a higher level, as the end of the game showed, pace and creativity is our strength....

united for life

Newcastle is a really bad side and we did what we had to do. 4-1 good result with lots of positives.

1- happy to see Ole take a “tough decision” and drop pogba
2- maguire goal. This has to boost his confidence and have the media f-off
3- passion as always from players like bruno, juan, scot, fred. Much needed on the pitch!
4- awb scored! Come again?
5- marcus rashford was good leading the line

hope we can see more of ban de beek though

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get in. Iffy performance for long stretches, but good attitude shown after the unfortunate start and we kept going. Bruno was poor for much of the game... but then scored a good goal and had an excellent assist after missing a pen and having 1 goal ruled out. Rashford I thought was very good, 2 assists and a goal. Wan Bissaka with his best performance in a long time, even though St Maximin is really hard to play against. Maguire as well, huge performance from him. Will do him a world of good. Mata motm, though of course these sort of performances are few and far between these days for him but good to see he can still do it in the PL.

Van De Beek needs to start, it's so obvious IMO but we'll see. Guy is excellent.

manichester

Good comeback, some crisp passing and some poor decision making. Mata, Rashford excellent, DDG great save. Happy to see heads didn't drop after O.G.

Addled

I thought Bruno was our worst player on the pitch tonight. He was also head and shoulders above anyone else as our worst player against Spurs. However the great and the good around here much prefer to slate Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, Bisaka, Fred De Gea, etc.
it seems to me thatwe need Bruno to play well in order to link up our play all over the pitch.When that doesn’t happen you get a performance like tonight where we are scrambling for a result. At the end we get the result but not before every player & manager is torn to shreds in the match day thread.
keep on winning United and we will maybe be able to see past the. Inconsistencies in the team.

Toad

Glad I can eat my pre-match words here!

The scoring is pretty difficult in this game. I struggled with who to give man of the match to out of Maguire, McTominay and Mata but ended up with Maguire - He grabbed a goal and had a really solid performance.
Mata was superb and pretty much controlled the midfield most of the time and set up a lot of our attacks. McTominay was very solid and played a load of good forward passes into attacking positions.

Then we had De Gea who made a fantastic save and another good one. Shaw was pretty good with his link up play in the final third and had some poor luck with the own goal. James was more involved but just doesn’t have that football brain for decision making so scored low for me. Rashford got his brace of assists but didn’t impress me at all through the game until the end when space was provided, but that’s my opinion and I guess everyone else thinks the opposite. Couple of good crosses from AWB and a great goal.

Fernandes though, shocker of a game for the best part, came good when it counted but doesn’t make up for the loss of possession, poor passing etc. He set up Newcastle nicely at one point so could have cost us a goal also.

Oles tactics were pretty good today and a couple of good subs to help us open up the game and get the late goals so happy he did well.

great performance all in all and got our reward with the flurry of late goals.

Last edited:

stu_1992

Great win in the end. I suppose an obvious statement, but our best result of the season for sure. Said it at half time, but glad to see Maguire score and hopefully that'll get his confidence up a bit. I know that's not the criticism he's been getting, but it can't hurt overall. Same for Wan Bissaka. Very happy to see him score.

So it appears Fernandes can miss a penalty! Made up for it with that wonderful. Great finish from thr tight angle but that goal was all about the build up really. Really really classy stuff from all involved. Was great to see Fernandes and Rashford highly involved in goals & assists in the second half. That has to be good for our attacking players.

We seem to be looking fitter. Still haven't worked out our best line up but when Van De Beek came on I thought we looked a lot better in midfield. Though practically all our best offensive midfielders were on the pitch at that point. This is why you have options I suppose. Much better than the likes of Lingard or Perreira!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Mata and Rashford had excellent game. Can't separate these two as my MotM.

And so glad that Bruno and Rashford, two of my favorite players, were connecting well.

Jonno

This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.
No, it’s not 1 decent result against Newcastle though is it.

We literally finished 3rd last season, had 3 very progressive cup runs.

This isn’t a one off is it, Ole has proven himself last season and he will this season, despite failure to truly back him in the Transfer market this summer.

Redbandito

Hopefully the goal will do him the world of good.
I’m concerned that he tweaked his hamstring. He grabbed it a little bit over halfway through the second half and never looked fully comfortable to me afterward. Hoping I’m wrong, because I would really like to see him build on this performance this week...a week we need him at his best.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

VdB, Mata, Bruno and Pogba are brilliant footballers who should play together more often. When you surround players who play quick football with one another, you get great football.

Mata especially was sensational tonight.
Yeah.

I think you’re onto something. Not sure how best to fit them all in from the start but I agree the football they play together is tasty. Rashford also showed great skill, athleticism and, yes, intelligence.

nickyboy1981

By far the better team, we fully deserved it and hopefully help us gain confidence.

I thought Bruno gave the ball away far to much but still happy to see someone try to make things happen and take risks.

Rashford was pretty poor in my opinion, cut inside far to much, very predictable and was lucky to get the penalty given he'd fluffed the chance. Great he kept going til the end though and glad he got a goal.

Maguire had a good game.

Happy and cautiously optimistic :)

baskinginthesun

I thought Ole was looking to grind out a 1-0 win with that line up but, we actually looked really creative and scored brilliant goals. The first time this season where anytime we went forward we did it with intensity and it showed. Good win!

John Blund

What a team selection! Dropping Pogba and Matic for Fred and McT, starting Mata against hard playing Newcastle. We dominated Newcastle. Great performance. Hopefully, we can build on this, and get some momentum. Mata still got the key for any defense.
Mata MOTM?
Rashford with 2 assists, 1 penalty, and 1 goal. Mata was just brilliant. I'm over the loss against Spurs now. Thanks, lads!

Edit: At first glance, I got pissed as DDG just froze like a deer when the ball got a deflection. The ball literally traveled for 0,8-1,0 sec after the deflection. DDG even makes to steps, standing on the same spot. He made up for it with the great save in 2nd half.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.
Another one for the ignore list. If you can't enjoy that then what's the point

bondsname

Like to see us going for it late in the game, that's what United is all about, very good from Ole and the players today.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Emphatic win but feck me Newcastle are a woeful side. I genuinely had no idea what their tactics were other than pass to ASM and hope for the best. Perfect game to play after Spurs, freedom to have lots of the ball, space etc. Still though, impressive end to the game, killing them off like that.
Yet if they had won would have gone second in the league. What a crazy season this is turning out to be.

MattofManchester

That was dire until the last 8 or so minutes.
Newcastle were thoroughly awful. They weren't even compact in defence.

But nonetheless, we won, and maybe we'll kick on now.

Wheato

Everything we moaned about on here was addressed today. Both full-backs got forward. AWB scored a goal and had 2 saves from the keeper! He couldn't cross the halfway line 2 weeks ago! Shaw was in the final 3rd too, and always tried to get forward. His link up play with James was good, too. Mata rolled back the years. And the one touch passing between him, Bruno and VDB is just what we need to keep the ball moving quickly. With the full backs getting forward and the pace of Rashford and James, there was always an outlet for the midfield to slide balls through the gaps. When we lost the ball, everyone hunted the ball back. Harry Maguire looked the player he was for England during the world cup. He was confident, made the right choices, came forward. Scored one, had another saved off the line, and was unlucky with his dragged shot from outside the box. De Gea had a good game too. Rashford had his best game for quite some time. Same again on Tuesday please.

Glorio

So it was ok to go full on panic stations after TWO bad results 3 games into the season, but then we turn Newcastle (who came in with 7 points) over 4-1, and we're not allowed to go the other way?

And the fans happy about a 4-1 result is why we're going nowhere?

Pavl3n

So much to enjoy about that performance. Even at 1-1 I'm thinking how well we have played.

Firstly, the team selection. I knew the masses would see Mata and James and groan, but I was pleased to see a Fred & McTominay combination in midfield. We do look a much more balanced team with those two in there. How much of this was down to the upcoming fixture list i dont know, but I did get a sense of 'Oles going with his trusted XI here'.

Going a goal down so early after losing 6-1 is a big test, but the team just got on with it, showed our character, played our football, and pretty much dominated the entire game. 4-1 is a result that justifies how the game played out despite those goals being so late.

Everybody played well, but for me McTominay was MOM today. I look at my notes and its full of 'good forward pass McT, good defensive cover McT, good forward pass McT'. It was everything that Matic has been doing lately with extra energy, and he and Fred have an understanding that provides a platform that allows us to dominate games like this one.

Rashford looking like his pre-injury self. AWB getting a goal. Maguire getting back on it. Mata playing his way into being a good option. Its a good night for the club and the fans
My thoughts as well. Really impressed by McT. But I saw flashes of good football from Shaw, AWB and James.
Both fullbacks were getting forward on regular occasions and AWB got rewarded with a goal. With regards James - well it wasn't his best game, but I still saw quite the improvement. Instead of hugging the sideline and pushing the opposing fullback towards his goal, James was droping deep to pick the ball and drifting into the free spaces that Bruno was vacating. His shots were hurried and his dribling was lacking confidence, but his overall performance was above average.

Redbandito

Van de Beek is a starter for me. Brings precision, one touch passing. Good movement. Excellent energy and communication. You could hear him talking as soon as he got on the pitch.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd