PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

roseguy64

Just what this doctor ordered! 3 points, any which way. Well done boys. Penalty monkey off Bruno's back as well. Never a pen anyway from the clip I've seen. Cavani and Telles in for midweek. We march on...
Martial is starting. Cavani won't be.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That last 10 minutes really released the tension that had built up, especially the Wan Bissaka hit. Hopefully Bruno never does that run-up again.

Okey

By the way, how's there still just 6 pages of this??? Aren't fans buzzing on a high?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
VdB, Mata, Bruno and Pogba are brilliant footballers who should play together more often. When you surround players who play quick football with one another, you get great football.

Mata especially was sensational tonight.
This is the way forward.

HaliRed

Thought we played very well and controlled the game from the third minute on. Match stats don't always tell the whole story but tonight they did: 64% possesion, 28 shots to seven (14 on target), seven corners, four goals and all that having missed a penalty. Great performance from the lads - Rashford and Bruno were outstanding.
Not to mention a slick goal ruled out for offside.

roseguy64

This is why we’re going nowhere under this management. One decent performance against fecking Newcastle and everyone’s creaming themselves. Ole will get a few good results when his job is on the line then we’ll turn to shite soon enough, rinse and repeat.
Finding a win negative. Lovely

Lee565

Mata just like matic could have his uses if managed right over a season.

Mctominay and fred may not be the most glitzy midfield but time and time again they have delivered well as a midfield partnership.

Untd55

Its the modern redcafe. They only post when we lose
People aren't excited about the performance because it was only decent. A lot of people seem to only think in terms of results, but the game was not great. It was a game that had some sparks, but for long periods it was actually pretty dull.

Newcastle didn't offer anything to the game, and we sort of made it a struggle to score against them. In the end, football is for entertainment and I would say the entertainment value of today was pretty low, aside from the win. It was a game of very low quality.

It was a very flat game that seemed to be played at a slow pace.

People want to see some real improvement rather than these small sparks.

Glorio

By the way, how's there still just 6 pages of this??? Aren't fans buzzing on a high?
You underestimate how miserable folks on here like to be. Wouldn't be surprised if to some "fans", this is a terrible result

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No complaints from me.
5 goals were scored and we scored all of them.

The other point of note was that when Dan James came off for DVDB, we won the match.
Dan James really isn't cut out for this level.

stevoc

Liverpool may have lost Mane and VVD for months, so who knows. Maybe we are winning the league. Stranger things have happened... Like - us finishing 3rd last season? I doubt it of course.
Given out form after Christmas last year we deserved to finish 3rd.

Bestofthebest

The reason for only six pages is because most people on here, including myself, haven’t seen the match just the result. Yes, it is a good result and sounds as if the football was better but it is hard to comment more on the scant information available. That is what pay per view does for the ordinary fans. Just set up to tape MOTD so will catch a few minutes tomorrow.

GazTheLegend

Has anyone asked why the Fernandes penalty wasn't retaken? Goalkeeper was half a foot off his line!!!! Knew there'd be no consisteny in that bullshit rule.

Jack-C20

Just watching MOTD and although it doesn’t matter now, the Newcastle keeper looked off his line for the penalty. Didn’t get a decent replay so might have had a foot on there.

baskinginthesun

Has anyone asked why the Fernandes penalty wasn't retaken? Goalkeeper was half a foot off his line!!!! Knew there'd be no consisteny in that bullshit rule.
His other foot was on the line, wasn't it? I thought both feet had to be off the line. But, not entirely sure.

roseguy64

My thoughts as well. Really impressed by McT. But I saw flashes of good football from Shaw, AWB and James.
Both fullbacks were getting forward on regular occasions and AWB got rewarded with a goal. With regards James - well it wasn't his best game, but I still saw quite the improvement. Instead of hugging the sideline and pushing the opposing fullback towards his goal, James was droping deep to pick the ball and drifting into the free spaces that Bruno was vacating. His shots were hurried and his dribling was lacking confidence, but his overall performance was above average.
Yeah you can see the talent that James has. He just needs to put it together to be worthy of keeping his place in the squad.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just watching MOTD and although it doesn’t matter now, the Newcastle keeper looked off his line for the penalty. Didn’t get a decent replay so might have had a foot on there.
They showed it in the studio after the game and it looked like he had a foot on the line.

Glorio

28 attempts, 14 on target, 4 goals and people want to whinge

Reiver

Very good result at a point when we needed a result badly.
Great to see Maguire put in a performance. I was also happy to see Mata put in such a good performance. I'll put my hand up and say I honestly thought he was past it as far as the EPL was concerned. Very happy to be proven wrong. Also happy to see McTominay have a good game. Pogba, rightly, started on the bench.
Rashford was exchanged great to see him bag a goal which his performance deserved.
Comments above on why there aren't that many comments on this thread. Its because the majority of the Ole out brigade would rather we had lost and have nothing to say after such a resounding win.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Tactically im not happy with ole in this game.. but his subs did work. The players did well.. overall i cant really be mad at anyones 90minutes and our subs.. i think even some of the most frustrating player lately all did well today apart from a mistake from shaw and lindelof for the first goal. James looks a threat and release the ball for some decent play instead of running into dead ends.. awb was useless going forward and his first touch was bad but he got a goal today... rashford isnt a striker.. and he got hia goal basically coming from the lw. He shouldnt play there.. neither should martial. They arent out and out strikers and we lack penetration when they play in the middle

GazTheLegend

His other foot was on the line, wasn't it? I thought both feet had to be off the line. But, not entirely sure.
True but they pulled de Gea back for all of half an inch of movement. It seems arbitrary as with most things in football these days I spose

True but they pulled de Gea back for all of half an inch of movement. It seems arbitrary as with most things in football these days I spose
I’ve not seen any keeper picked up like DDG was, and it was mm, but he was off the line. The Newcastle keeper clearly had part of his left foot behind the line.

HaliRed

Good performance from the lads.

McT and Fred providing the energy that allowed us control the game bar a couple of long range Newcastle shots.

Fullbacks played well, as did the Captain and Lindelof.

Would really like to see Mata and Bruno get a run of games together. Not in the big matches, but I bet they would be able to carve up teams defending en masse, once they develop some chemistry.

DeGea was very good and Rashford was back to his best.

James was the only subpar player for us out there, and that is just down to his decision making. He really needs to work in the video room on that.

Looking forward to see what Ole does against PSG. I have a feeling a Cavani/Martial frontline will be featured.

Hope Mason is alright, the lack of news on him is concerning.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rashford deserves a run up front, Martial has had his chance.

Mata and Bruno were great.

Van der Beek should start.
Eh? Martial has played 2 games this season and was sent off early in 3rd. In those 3 everyone including Rashford was crap.

If by chance you are saying our top scorer last season then not sure how he hasn't taken his "chance"?

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd