PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

Faetheshire86

The team showed a lot of character after that own goal to start. A defeat would have been a disaster. Controlled the game for the most part and scored a couple of really good goals.

Hopefully the catalyst to kick start our season

Glorio

Tactically im not happy with ole in this game.. but his subs did work. The players did well.. overall i cant really be mad at anyones 90minutes and our subs.. i think even some of the most frustrating player lately all did well today apart from a mistake from shaw and lindelof for the first goal. James looks a threat and release the ball for some decent play instead of running into dead ends.. awb was useless going forward and his first touch was bad but he got a goal today... rashford isnt a striker.. and he got hia goal basically coming from the lw. He shouldnt play there.. neither should martial. They arent out and out strikers and we lack penetration when they play in the middle
You're not happy with Ole tactically in this game?

Well done - maybe we should ship you and your armchair to Carrington to go and pass down your superior knowledge to actual professionals who have been in the game for years and years

Eh? Martial has played 2 games this season and was sent off early in 3rd. In those 3 everyone including Rashford was crap.

If by chance you are saying our top scorer last season then not sure how he hasn't taken his "chance"?
Martial had the striker role since football returned. A good initial run and then faded. Rashford deserves a run centrally for a few games, his movement is better.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Couldn’t watch the game today - just seen the highlights on MOTD. Seems we played really well.

mid we win our game in hand we are only one point behind Liverpool and City I think? Been a rough start but hopefully that game is a turning point and we can start to kick on a bit.

Well done - maybe we should ship you and your armchair to Carrington to go and pass down your superior knowledge to actual professionals who have been in the game for years and years
Its astonishing isint it.

Fitchett

That was a really good performance and a well deserved win. The right changes were made after the Spurs debacle, with the team much quicker and more positive.

Martial had the striker role since football returned. A good initial run and then faded. Rashford deserves a run centrally for a few games, his movement is better.
Rashford is best from the left as an inside forward. If anyone is replacing Martial, it’s Cavani. We don’t need/ want to be taking Rashford away from his best position.

Cpt Negative

Tactically im not happy with ole in this game.. but his subs did work. The players did well.. overall i cant really be mad at anyones 90minutes and our subs.. i think even some of the most frustrating player lately all did well today apart from a mistake from shaw and lindelof for the first goal. James looks a threat and release the ball for some decent play instead of running into dead ends.. awb was useless going forward and his first touch was bad but he got a goal today... rashford isnt a striker.. and he got hia goal basically coming from the lw. He shouldnt play there.. neither should martial. They arent out and out strikers and we lack penetration when they play in the middle
Tactically you're not happy in a game we dominated from the 2nd minute, had 30 shots on their goal and scored 4?. Jesus Christ

ThinkTank@Cafe

I watched the best save in my life. De Gea has a superhuman level of reaction. Unfortunately, he’s become too error prone. His brilliance is outweighed by his cons as a keeper.

Cardozo

Excellent counter attack for the Fernandes goal. That’s the United way!

Gordon S

Delighted!
Our best game of the season so far, if our attacking players were in red hot form the game would have been dead and buried after an hour or so.

Rashford is still one of our best players but i get the feeling he is overthinking situations far too often, making it too difficult for him.
Mata is probably our most in form player right now, playing as well as he has ever done for us. Was a smart move to keep him.
Maguire seemed more switched on this game, was nice to see. We desperately need him in good form.

Bruno was good but still a far cry from the beast he was just a few months ago.
Can`t wrap my head around what to think of AWB, his ability to control the ball seems poor at times but you can still see he is a good talent. Fantastic goal tonight, hope it can give him more confidence in attack!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Good performance from the lads.

McT and Fred providing the energy that allowed us control the game bar a couple of long range Newcastle shots.

Fullbacks played well, as did the Captain and Lindelof.

Would really like to see Mata and Bruno get a run of games together. Not in the big matches, but I bet they would be able to carve up teams defending en masse, once they develop some chemistry.

DeGea was very good and Rashford was back to his best.

James was the only subpar player for us out there, and that is just down to his decision making. He really needs to work in the video room on that.

Looking forward to see what Ole does against PSG. I have a feeling a Cavani/Martial frontline will be featured.

Hope Mason is alright, the lack of news on him is concerning.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
This was a beautiful game to watch.

I started the game thinking that Ole's faith in out of form players will be his downfall, but Maguire and DDG put in very good performances and vindicated themselves and the manager.

All the goals were beauties. Rashford MOTM, Mata a close second. Overall the whole team played well, and everyone deserves a rating of 6 or above.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
If we play like this the rest of the season I'll be a happy fan. This match was fun to watch. I thought we did get a little sloppy the last 20 minutes which is sort of ironic because we scored 3 goals in that time. However, the first 70 included some very nice interchanges and quick passing while creating good but not great chances. If we continue to play like that we will be a feared team again.

Hopefully the PSG match goes well and we can keep this feeling. A big loss, though, would hurt.

RedIan

Very enjoyable win. looking like the main issue in the early games Was fitness. Delighted for Maguire, he needed that performance and goal.. mata looks like a new man, not everything went right for Bruno but he never ever hides and just keeps trying until it comes right. Some cracking goals - suddenly we have hope.

Foxbatt

It was good in parts. At the start of the second half still at 1-1 they were still in the game. Especially in the first half they were in with a chance and DeGea pulled off a world class save to keep us in the game.
Yes in the end it was a good win and one we desperately needed but lots of points to ponder still in midfield and in defence. Mata had a very good game and so did Bruno. Good to see AWB score a goal and DVB should play with Bruno and Mata in midfield.
Tactically we were not good or else we would have scored a lot more. Lot more individual play around their box instead of passing around. Too much shooting when passing would have been the better option. There is also too much space in front of our CBs.
Newcastle were terrible too.
This win has given United some impetus and I hope Martial can play in the CL game but in the same formation we played today with Rashford. I worry about our defence though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That was as scary as it was delightful in the end. I'm a happy man after that:D

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

:lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Couldn’t watch the game today - just seen the highlights on MOTD. Seems we played really well.
MOTD didn't show the half of it. It looked a little more even than what it actually was. Newcastle had 3 good chances - all were shown. United dominated almost everything apart from those 3 incidents. The match stats give a better representation of how the game went

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I've said it before: the Ole era is all about ups and downs. Inconsistency. Day and night. Good enough for Top3-6.

This 1-4 was mandatory (sacked if defeated today?) but it's still too early to say if we are back on track. Newcastle ain't Leicester, Everton or even late 2020 Villa.

The interplay between Mata and Fernandes in the final 3rd was fantastic, got even better when Pogba and DVB came one because then we had technical players playing deeper so our build up play from deep appeared to also improve.

AWB got into some great attacking positions, if he improves he’s final ball he can become a deadly RB.

Very happy to watch us play some beautiful football. Happy Bruno has finally missed a penalty in a match where it didn’t end up mattering, hopefully he can go on another long pen conversion streak.

GazTheLegend

I've said it before: the Ole era is all about ups and downs. Inconsistency. Day and night. Good enough for Top3-6.

This 1-4 was mandatory (sacked if defeated today?) but it's still too early to say if we are back on track. Newcastle ain't Leicester, Everton or even late 2020 Villa.
How do you compete with the spending power of Chelsea and City though?

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
You guys have already said it all

I just wanna had that James is less awful in the left than in the right. Still awful mind, but less

Mata my motm. Hugz

FreddieTheReddie

So what I’ve learned today:

Ole can’t coach the team
Ole doesn’t make subs before 80 min
Ole’s in game management is shite
Bruno can’t miss a penalty
Rashford wouldn’t pass in the box
AWB can’t attack
Maguire’s head is useless
Mata is useless
We can’t score from open play
We can’t scaro feom corners
We can’t score is Fergie time anymore
We would never have Pogba, Bruno and AWB on the pitch together
James is shite
We should burst Rashy MBE’s bubble

Am I missing something?

CM10

The most encouraging thing was was how much better balanced we looked than the previous games. Part of that may be down to Newcastle not actually playing that well but it was disheartening to watch teams play through us so easily before.

I hope Solskjaer doesn't neglect that stability once everyone is available again.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!

I see youre very upset. Its okay.. we all have our own opinions and its really nothing to cry about. You dont need to be a tactical genius to not like how ole set up the team today or to even see that we have been outplayed by almost every other team we play against. We are consistent bailed out by the quality of the players we have, lack of quality of our opponents players or a penalty kick.

The only thing ole really got right today was not making subs with under 10mins left again and playing mata. We struggled for long periods of the game to carve out good chances and could have easily lost this game. We only turned it on when vdb came on. Alot of people consider this our best performance in quite sometime and it was against a terrible Newcastle side. Coached by maybe the only manager in the league worse than ole.

If you want to praise ole for beating Newcastle after 85 minutes I wont hate on you for you. Just remember though before you go crying and chatting rubbish about people not liking oles "tactics" We lost 6-1 to spurs and got completely out played. we should've lost 6-2 to brighton and got completely out played/saved by the goal post and bailed out by a pen. We lost 3-1 to crystal palace and got completely out played.

Psg up next in the week. Lets gooo united!!

Last edited:

Pennywise

Better players win you games shocker. Hopefully Ole has learned his lesson today.

meamth

So what I’ve learned today:

Ole can’t coach the team
Ole doesn’t make subs before 80 min
Ole’s in game management is shite
Bruno can’t miss a penalty
Rashford wouldn’t pass in the box
AWB can’t attack
Maguire’s head is useless
Mata is useless
We can’t score from open play
We can’t scaro feom corners
We can’t score is Fergie time anymore
We would never have Pogba, Bruno and AWB on the pitch together
James is shite
We should burst Rashy MBE’s bubble

Am I missing something?
Change captain.

meamth

I see youre very upset. Its okay.. we all have our own opinions and its really nothing to cry about. You dont need to be a tactical genius to not like how ole set up the team today or to even see that we have been outplayed by almost every other team we play against. We are consistent bailed out by the quality of the players we have, lack of quality of our opponents players or a penalty kick. The only thing ole really got right today was not making subs with under 10mins left again and playing mata. We struggled for long periods of the game to carve out good chances and could have easily lost this game. We only turned it on when vdb came on. Alot of people consider this our best performance in quite sometime and it was against a terrible Newcastle side. Coached by maybe the only manager in the league worse than ole. If you want to praise ole for beating Newcastle after 85 minutes I wont hate on you for you. Just remember though before you go crying and chatting rubbish about people not liking oles "tactics" We lost 6-1 to spurs and got completely out played. we should've lost 6-2 to brighton and got completely out played/saved by the goal post and bailed out by a pen. We lost 3-1 to crystal palace and got completely out played.

The feck is that abomination.

Put some paragraphs and space. didn't even bother to read that shite.

United492

I don't think Ole is the right person long-term, let's get that out there. That being said, there are a few weasels on the match day thread still calling for his head after today. I don't get it. His CV means cock all. It's the here and now. He's doing alright in my eyes, don't get me wrong, I'd love to win every game, who wouldn't!? Who does!? We're building, and we'll get there, but this is a multi-year project, not a quick fix, with Ole or without. Let these players mature into a team, stop being pricks. Feck knows what OT will be like if and when the gates open again.
Point is, some people on this forum are in need of a life. They think they're owed something. Entitled.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Insulting another member
The feck is that abomination.

Put some paragraphs and space. didn't even bother to read that shite.
I dont care.. it wasnt for you to read. Why even bothering replying to it? Feck off virgin

Gator Nate

Ole's lineup for this looked a bit weak... except we have PSG on Tuesday night. Once I remembered that, I thought he did well.

James isn't great, but in a 4-1 win over an EPL team, he started and played 76 minutes. He won't feature in Paris; his job was today and I'm good with that.

Fred and McTominay put in a great shift. Pogba will still start on Friday, and so might Matic, or van de Beek.

Mata was beautiful, a lot of folks' MOTM, but I don't see him starting in the CL. I still say he and Bruno are on the same wavelength. I'd like to see more of him, Bruno and VdB.

Bruno can be stopped. He can also work magic and he did.

Maguire was the big worry. Some thought he should be dropped. Many doubt his partnership with Lindelof. Yet Ole put him out there with the Captain's armband again. Lo and behold! A goal and a good defensive performance. Ole's man management has been one of his strong points from day one and this is a prime example. I do worry about Harry's hamstring, though.

Lindelof did some things. I think. We didn't allow another goal after 2', so something was right.

Felt sorry for Shaw, but he made up for it. He works better offensively from about 15 yards from the side, not right down it. If the midfielder moves to the right corner, or the winger stays there, he's much more effective.

AWB did most of the work on his goal and I'm pretty sure his intent was for Rashford to take it. Good defensive shift, too.

Rashford had an excellent match. Drew a penalty. Two assists. And the icing on the cake, giving me the score prediction bonus points and moving me second in the score prediction league.

DeGea had a good save. A really good save. Other than that, he kicked a few balls back into play when the line decided he should have it. I'm curious if he gets the nod for PSG or Ole goes with Henderson.

On the whole, I can overlook mistakes - they happen - and 4-1 is nothing to balk at no matter the opponent. Newcastle are now 2-1-2, smack in the middle of the table. They were at the level we put them.

For all the criticism of Ole's lineup and substitution habits, he picked a lineup that could rest probable PSG starters, hold a team within reach, and then sub in at opportune times fresh, better talent to take control and finish off the game. Three well deserved points.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
People on here wanted Mata gone. He’s one of the few players we have, maybe even the only one, who does the simply things brilliantly. Pure quality. Shame his legs have gone a little but the link up he’s had with Bruno and VDB this season when he’s started has been class. He was ridiculously good at Chelsea because he had Hazard and Oscar with him. Give him better players close to him and he flourishes.

Glorio

I see youre very upset. Its okay.. we all have our own opinions and its really nothing to cry about. You dont need to be a tactical genius to not like how ole set up the team today or to even see that we have been outplayed by almost every other team we play against. We are consistent bailed out by the quality of the players we have, lack of quality of our opponents players or a penalty kick.

The only thing ole really got right today was not making subs with under 10mins left again and playing mata. We struggled for long periods of the game to carve out good chances and could have easily lost this game. We only turned it on when vdb came on. Alot of people consider this our best performance in quite sometime and it was against a terrible Newcastle side. Coached by maybe the only manager in the league worse than ole.

If you want to praise ole for beating Newcastle after 85 minutes I wont hate on you for you. Just remember though before you go crying and chatting rubbish about people not liking oles "tactics" We lost 6-1 to spurs and got completely out played. we should've lost 6-2 to brighton and got completely out played/saved by the goal post and bailed out by a pen. We lost 3-1 to crystal palace and got completely out played.

I think you have a weird definition of crying. Invest in a dictionary, or at least Google.

Question: are you not glad we won? 28 shots, 14 on target, 4 goals, does that not do it for you?
We just came off a good win after a troubling start to the season, why on earth would I be upset? What I do find ludicrous is folks trying to dismiss the good and nit-pick at perceived negatives

Btw Ole took us to 3rd last season and he's the second worst manager in the league, on what wealth of knowledge did you make that call?

Last edited:

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd