PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

Giggsy13

Haven’t seen Mata play at that level in quite some time. Overall a great win and momentum is needed with a very tough schedule coming up.

Denis' cuff

Fitness clearly had something to do with the slow start and 1-6 was the wake up call

much better with the energy McTom and Fred bring, as shown in our best run of the year a few months ago. Team should be rotated according to oppo, rather than sticking too rigidly to a winning line- up, although you can see the temptation. Much better movement off the ball and energy was good to see.

Not only was their keeper off his line but they had a couple of players in the area before Bruno touched the ball. If that attention seeking cnut that reffed vs Palace had been on duty, I’m sure he would’ve spotted it but then again... depends on the team involved.

Crashoutcassius

classic tiny thread when we win, everyone that looks like an absolute dope for moaning about the ling up mysteriously gone into hiding, raging that the team they 'support' won a game of football

Withnail

By the way, how's there still just 6 pages of this??? Aren't fans buzzing on a high?
You get way more pages from losses than wins.

Good result, some decent performances, everyone looked fitter and sharper which was to be expected at this stage and great to see Maguire score, Rashford doing well and AWB banging one in.

The season starts here.

Sylar

4-1 flattered Newcastle

Players getting into fitness after a slow start looks to be helping
International break looks to have helped too

Need to follow that up now

Withnail

I see youre very upset. Its okay.. we all have our own opinions and its really nothing to cry about. You dont need to be a tactical genius to not like how ole set up the team today or to even see that we have been outplayed by almost every other team we play against. We are consistent bailed out by the quality of the players we have, lack of quality of our opponents players or a penalty kick.

The only thing ole really got right today was not making subs with under 10mins left again and playing mata. We struggled for long periods of the game to carve out good chances and could have easily lost this game. We only turned it on when vdb came on. Alot of people consider this our best performance in quite sometime and it was against a terrible Newcastle side. Coached by maybe the only manager in the league worse than ole.

If you want to praise ole for beating Newcastle after 85 minutes I wont hate on you for you. Just remember though before you go crying and chatting rubbish about people not liking oles "tactics" We lost 6-1 to spurs and got completely out played. we should've lost 6-2 to brighton and got completely out played/saved by the goal post and bailed out by a pen. We lost 3-1 to crystal palace and got completely out played.

Psg up next in the week. Lets gooo united!!
We didn't play well against Brighton but you can't get saved by the goal post.S Shots that hit the post are off-target.

Also if you watch those back 4 of the 5 are from outside the box and De Gea had his angles covered. There's only one of them that is what you would call a good chance.

USREDEVIL

Finally a header from maguire. Big head of his...
Wel done in general under some tough circumstances. Let’s keep up the good display as we’ve got some hard games coming up.

Jericho

We looked pretty good. But I would also say Newcastle were terrible and that's helps. In the same way pundits shouldn't get carried away with how 'amazing' some teams have been when they've been us, I wouldn't get too carried away yet with us beating a terrible Newcastle team.

And I know Mata was great today but I've seen him do it against shite teams in the Europa League and then do feck all the very next weekend.

Not trying to rain on the parade, I've just been burned too many times in the past.

MrSingh2002

Rashford played like he had a point to prove about body language. Roy Keane must be proud.

Luke Shaw clearly had his eyes opened at training by Telles of how a left back should be getting forward. He now knows his time is up as first choice and played like it after his shocker of an own goal.

VdB changed that game tonight with his one touch passing showing everyone how its done in midfield. VdB and Mata should be undroppable at the moment.

Our best "footballing" players are VdB, Mata, Fernandes and Pogba. Seeing them playing together is worth watching.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles
Pogba VdB
Mata Fernandes Rashford
Cavani

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We should be playing VDB and Mata most weeks I reckon. 2 players who do the simple things exceptionally well. Allows Bruno who takes risks to make mistakes at no cost. When we’ve got Bruno AND Pogba together it doesn’t work for me. Pogba doesn’t keep the game simple enough.

Hammondo

Rashford played like he had a point to prove about body language. Roy Keane must be proud.

Luke Shaw clearly had his eyes opened at training by Telles of how a left back should be getting forward. He now knows his time is up as first choice and played like it after his shocker of an own goal.

VdB changed that game tonight with his one touch passing showing everyone how its done in midfield. VdB and Mata should be undroppable at the moment.

Our best "footballing" players are VdB, Mata, Fernandes and Pogba. Seeing them playing together is worth watching.

De Gea
Pogba VdB
Mata Fernandes Rashford
Cavani
Some people never learn.

Tarrou

De Gea
Pogba VdB
Mata Fernandes Rashford
Cavani
You must be a horror fan if you want to see that midfield line-up in the PL

Fletchageddon

Good win. Felt inevitable. Good to see how the lads opened up a team sitting deep against us. Midfield was immaculate. Mctominay had a great game. Mata was superb. Rashford really led by example. With that attitude and work rate we will do well.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Meh. Newcastle are shite. 1~4 in an empty stadium is the least I would expect.
That said we played some good stuff, especially for Bruno's goal.
Glad Bruno's inevitable penalty miss came in a game where it didn't matter.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
I think you have a weird definition of crying. Invest in a dictionary, or at least Google.

Question: are you not glad we won? 28 shots, 14 on target, 4 goals, does that not do it for you?
We just came off a good win after a troubling start to the season, why on earth would I be upset? What I do find ludicrous is folks trying to dismiss the good and nit-pick at perceived negatives

Btw Ole took us to 3rd last season and he's the second worst manager in the league, on what wealth of knowledge did you make that call?
Today was a good result on paper.. the stats look good on paper but it wasnt a great performance at all over 90minutes. it was an extremely nervy game. We could have easily came out of this game with a loss the way it was going till the 85th minute.

I am happy we won though and im happy with how everyone preformed overall.. maybe not awb but he bagged a nice goal. This doesnt mean ole is safe from critisism.

I wont attack any fan who thinks ole is good enough to win titles at manutd.. but i strongly disagree with them.. ole isnt good enough.. despite not being backed by the glazers.. ole is not good enough for what i want to see from this club. Top 3 last season means nothing.. look at our win loss draws.. most seasons that a europa league pt tally.

automaticflare

He wasn't out and out defensive. He was a deep lying playmaker with defensive qualities.
he was. Watch how he played for spurs before he signed for United.
oeople compared him to Hoddle he was much more attacking.

fergie turned him into a defensive player because of his infelligence and he learned the role and covered space immaculately. He moved the ball around the pitch effortlessly and these are reasons he was under valued by the English press

in the scholes/carrick midfield he was degensive

same in the champions league winning team

Marzo

So what I’ve learned today:

Ole can’t coach the team
Ole doesn’t make subs before 80 min
Ole’s in game management is shite
Bruno can’t miss a penalty
Rashford wouldn’t pass in the box
AWB can’t attack
Maguire’s head is useless
Mata is useless
We can’t score from open play
We can’t scaro feom corners
We can’t score is Fergie time anymore
We would never have Pogba, Bruno and AWB on the pitch together
James is shite
We should burst Rashy MBE’s bubble

Am I missing something?

Ole can’t coach the team
AWB can’t attack
Mata is useless
James is shite

Am I missing something?

Tarrou

Were Scholes and Carrick out and out defensive players? They did quite well.
Carrick and Scholes are better than any of our current midfielders

Even with Matic next to him our midfield with Pogba gets by-passed with ease, so I'm not sure what you're seeing here

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So so much that I likes about tonight’s win.

firstly massive credit to the manager for making some tough team selections: retaining Maguire despite everyone saying he should be rested, dropping Pogba for his appalling start to the season and lack of commitment, and picking a hard working engine room of Fred and McT, despite neither getting a look in post lockdown. And picking James and Mata up front. All of these decisions were criticised by the haters pre match.

.AWB, Shaw Fred and McT provided constant pressure on the wings and centre of the park, allied by a rock solid defensive display from De Gea and Maguire. ans James was energised and confident and we hope his decision making inproves. But the treat was our midfielders purring with pass and move interplay, bulldozing a tired Newcastle in last 20 mins linking up with Rashford who was full of beans.

it was on my Newcastle but I’m confident this level of performance is goin enough to beat anyone. Which is why it was important to get such a perfor under our belt to remind us what we are capable of.

looking forward to next few games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Ole can’t coach the team
AWB can’t attack
Mata is useless
James is shite

Am I missing something?
We need you to post in the ‘keep or sack Ole’ thread where you will find many to answer your questions :wenger:

shoegazing

Jeez we needed that. Few players really stepped up there. Think teams that sit back and allow us to control the game always lend good performances to us. I also think the goals coming late shouldn't distract from the fact we were in control for most of the game. Stoked for the goal scorers as they had all been under pressure going into this game.

MrSingh2002

Carrick and Scholes are better than any of our current midfielders

Even with Matic next to him our midfield with Pogba gets by-passed with ease, so I'm not sure what you're seeing here
I wouldn't be against excluding Pogba if it meant we played VdB and Fernandes in a midfield three but Oles not done that once. Even today when Pogba was dropped he started Fred and McTominay.

If we take Pogba out it should be:

VdB Matic Fernandes
Mata Cavani/Martial Rashford

Yakuza_devils

Mata is brilliant whole match. MOTM.

DDG what a save at 1-1.

Rashford best game since the covid restart last season.

Bruno passing and link up play was bad all match but what a goal and assist at the end.

James look like a new player and need more confident to have end product.

AWB what a goal.

McGuire good header and very solid in defence.

Fred, McT, Lindelof, Pogba, VDB all look good and sharp.

Most importantly, finally we are able to play as a team. The short one touch passes all over the pitch from our players are a joy to watch. This is the fist time I see we play like this. Usually, the players will take a lot of touches before they pass that slowed down the game.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Rashford thumping the ball into the goal a second time after he scored showed the release of frustration he'd had. Interesting reaction with Maguires goal too, not much celebrating they looked focussed and determined to me. Strong reaction after last matchday, important for a lot of our players.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Today was a good result on paper.. the stats look good on paper but it wasnt a great performance at all over 90minutes. it was an extremely nervy game. We could have easily came out of this game with a loss the way it was going till the 85th minute.
I think this is the difference between watching the game as fan and watching it as a neutral. Almost all fans do this watching their own team, worry far more than they need to and ignore positives they're seeing, I do it watching Brighton.

But from a neutral point of view, this wasn't a nervy game at all, you dominated that game from beginning to end and Newcastle never looked like scoring at all. It did feel for a bit that you might be very unlucky and end up with a draw, but in the end the score line reflected your game.

For me Mata, James and McT all played brilliantly. DvB looked great when he came on as well. The Maguire and AWB goals will give a what was nervy backline a huge boost and your defence as a whole was pretty much perfect all game. Rashford's workrate was impressive and his sharpness is definitely back. Even DDG had a great game, there's a lot to be happy about for United fans.

With Martial, Cavani, Greenwood and Telles all to come in suddenly your options are looking pretty good.

Bondi77

Fred would be a decent player if he could pass and shoot a ball,
Smalling is better with the ball at his feet.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think this is the difference between watching the game as fan and watching it as a neutral. Almost all fans do this watching their own team, worry far more than they need to and ignore positives they're seeing, I do it watching Brighton.

But from a neutral point of view, this wasn't a nervy game at all, you dominated that game from beginning to end and Newcastle never looked like scoring at all. It did feel for a bit that you might be very unlucky and end up with a draw, but in the end the score line reflected your game.

For me Mata, James and McT all played brilliantly. DvB looked great when he came on as well. The Maguire and AWB goals will give a what was nervy backline a huge boost and your defence as a whole was pretty much perfect all game. Rashford's workrate was impressive and his sharpness is definitely back. Even DDG had a great game, there's a lot to be happy about for United fans.

With Martial, Cavani, Greenwood and Telles all to come in suddenly your options are looking pretty good.
That’s pretty much how I also viewed the game. 14 shots on target, a missed penalty and disallowed goal .... they were lucky to get away with a 1-4 loss.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Well done. Hard to pick a MoTM.
Not hard at all, his name is Juan Mata. Our beloved little diamond is far from done! What a beautiful player to have in our squad. Might not be a solid fit in many games, but in some games.. like the one today, he is an absolute treasure. He is so light on the ball, smart as hell, and rarely if ever send a pass where it shouldn't.

Hope he retires here.

Robertd0803

Feared the worst after conceding so early again. (And seeing the starting 11).

Happy with the win obviously now, the 3rd and 4th goals adding a shine to it.

Hopefully the goals from Maguire and AWB are start of many this season.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd