PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

GenZRed

The general performance was encouraging. Pogba didn't play badly either. VdB really is an intelligent player.

I just wonder why we can't play like that every match.

Tibs

We turned up once Pogba and Donny came on.

Good result though, was expecting the worst tbh

Maticmaker

Apart from getting caught in the early minutes, we looked the stronger and it seems their keeper was having the game of his life and keeping us out especially second half ( how often do keepers seem to do that against us?).
That performance from most of the team, restored some belief in that we know the players can do it, just don't know when!
Enjoyed my supper and had a good nights kip!

cyril C

The general performance was encouraging. Pogba didn't play badly either. VdB really is an intelligent player.

With VDB, Pogba, McT, Bruno is MF, you said performance was encouraging? It was static and everyone seem to be in the wrong position during the attacking phase. In fact, our team was much more balanced during 1st half even when we were behind. This diamond formation might work against PSG, if we determined to park the bus and went for counter-attack.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not as good as his volley from the Greenwood cross last season surely?
That move was exquisite but the angle he had to work with last night, reminded me a bit of Kroos' free kick in the world cup where he had to score and there was only one tiny part of the goal where he could place it. The placement is just immaculate.

Both amazing, but last night I thought it takes a supreme talent to execute that finish.

croadyman

Much better performance but certainly helped we were given the freedom of the city for most of the game

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I see youre very upset. Its okay.. we all have our own opinions and its really nothing to cry about. You dont need to be a tactical genius to not like how ole set up the team today or to even see that we have been outplayed by almost every other team we play against. We are consistent bailed out by the quality of the players we have, lack of quality of our opponents players or a penalty kick.

The only thing ole really got right today was not making subs with under 10mins left again and playing mata. We struggled for long periods of the game to carve out good chances and could have easily lost this game. We only turned it on when vdb came on. Alot of people consider this our best performance in quite sometime and it was against a terrible Newcastle side. Coached by maybe the only manager in the league worse than ole.

If you want to praise ole for beating Newcastle after 85 minutes I wont hate on you for you. Just remember though before you go crying and chatting rubbish about people not liking oles "tactics" We lost 6-1 to spurs and got completely out played. we should've lost 6-2 to brighton and got completely out played/saved by the goal post and bailed out by a pen. We lost 3-1 to crystal palace and got completely out played.

Psg up next in the week. Lets gooo united!!
You must be blind as he quite clearly is not upset. He is happy the team he supports won with a good performance scoring great team goals. It sounds like you are the one who is upset that the team you supposedly support won as you are whingeing about the manager and tactics despite winning 4-1?

Giggzy P

It was good to see Rashford up for the game, hope he kicks on from yesterday's performance. That was an important win especially looking at our our next fixtures.

We did play some good football in some parts of the game, Mata had a brilliant game, clever pass to Rashford for Bruno's goal, who's passing is starting to worry me a bit, I thought bar the goal, didn't have his best game.
James did a lot of running which made it look like he was having a decent game when he really was ineffective, looks lost for ideas apart from running when with the ball.

Also nice to see Ole communicating with the players instead of watching the monitor on the bench, hope he also uses Fred more, as i think Matic needs to be used sparingly, a bit like Fergie did with Giggs in his latter football years, to get the best out of him.

Ps: What a save from De Gea

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

I really want to see VdB do 90 minutes. His movement is really good.

gorky_utd

Much needed confidence booster. Played well. Now want to see the likes of Telles, Cavani in the team.

Mercurial

Interesting to hear the players banter on the pitch when they are not crowded out by fan noise. Like the bench running up after James tackle yelling "keep your head cool!!!!"
Specially NUFC players and particularly Jonjo Shelvey screaming quite rudely and some at the ref to "do your f**k*ng job" on his free kick, and quite many other 'lyrical word' incidents, not exactly in the good spirit of fair play or family friendly. Things like that get crowded out normally. I recall Rooney incident picking a ban on swearing. Standards are different clearly.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Good game. Midfield tight, good linkup play between Bruno and Mata. James even looked like a footballer.

Happy for Maguire and Wan Bissaka to get their first goals. Rashford and Bruno mom, both were dangerous.

Rolaholic

Looked levels above in the opposition half with the injection of quality in the MF after struggling to create much, bar that set piece goal, the first half when they sat back.

Newcastle were completely overwhelmed with Donny, Bruno, Pogba and Mata out there for those final 20 minutes or so.

We might've got away with the XI against a poor Magpies side but I do hope we opt for the more technically sound midfield in the XI against Paris. We'll need it if we're expecting to be able to put up the goals needed against them because Lord knows their attack will give us fits all match long.

Hope Ole learns to trust VDB a bit more after his cameo, he can offer us quite a bit more moving forward when he's on than most of our mids.

roseguy64

It was an important win albeit Newcastle were a poor side, this will build confidence.
Im glad Ole dropped Pogba (although behind the scenes the fact that they have activated the 12 month add on to current contract now probably means they or he dont want to extend the contract past that and will be gone in Jan or summer). McTom in his place protected the backline and mainly stopped Newcastle breaking.
Mention to De Gea who had a good game as well. In fact no one really had a bad game. although Lindelof was lightweight again a couple of times.
Saying that we cant sit on our laurels as 2 bad performances results wise against PSG and Chelsea will have us back to square one.
We extended Pogba to protect his value. And to allow us more options. It doesn't automatically mean we're getting rid. Just means things are in limbo.

Also, McTominay was playing instead of Matic.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Rashford played like he had a point to prove about body language. Roy Keane must be proud.

Luke Shaw clearly had his eyes opened at training by Telles of how a left back should be getting forward. He now knows his time is up as first choice and played like it after his shocker of an own goal.

VdB changed that game tonight with his one touch passing showing everyone how its done in midfield. VdB and Mata should be undroppable at the moment.

Our best "footballing" players are VdB, Mata, Fernandes and Pogba. Seeing them playing together is worth watching.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Telles
Pogba VdB
Mata Fernandes Rashford
Cavani
"his shocker of an own goal." Are you kidding me?

Cantonagotmehere

Very happy for Rashford, AWB and Harry. Great stuff.

Please get Telles in for Shaw and hopefully he is the real deal and we never look back.

Coincidence.....VDB comes on and 3 goals in 5ish minutes......;)

MrSingh2002

"his shocker of an own goal." Are you kidding me?
No not really. He's a one footed player and the own goal came from his stronger foot. He made a lazy stab at the ball and could've done alot better knocking it out for a corner.

De Gea being frozen didn't help him but two wrongs don't make a right.

mattsville

I thought it was an excellent performance, when I got the lineup and given the form of Maguire and Rashford I thought we would get beaten, no Martial, Greenwood or any of the new signings involved and after the poxy start with the og we were focused and moved the ball with speed, confidence and fluidity the entire match, we were very good. Delighted for Maguire, he is a top guy and he had a great match, AWB scoring a side bonus too, might bring him out of his shell a bit offensively. Get the new lads involved in the coming weeks, good for competition and keeping performance levels high hopefully. Given all the absentees and the Maguire situation, credit to Ole and the coaches for that performance, the players were clearly highly motivated and focused.

matt23

I was hammered by the time we got in front. Woke up today and forgot we nearly drew the game.

Thought we were excellent after going behind to be fair. Game stagnated a little bit at 1-1 but overall we definitely deserved 3 points and it's been a while since that was the case.

jeff_goldblum

No not really. He's a one footed player and the own goal came from his stronger foot. He made a lazy stab at the ball and could've done alot better knocking it out for a corner.

De Gea being frozen didn't help him but two wrongs don't make a right.
Ludicrously hypercritical.

bsCallout

That move was exquisite but the angle he had to work with last night, reminded me a bit of Kroos' free kick in the world cup where he had to score and there was only one tiny part of the goal where he could place it. The placement is just immaculate.

Both amazing, but last night I thought it takes a supreme talent to execute that finish.
Yeah it was a lovely finish. I preferred the build up for his volley.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
You must be blind as he quite clearly is not upset. He is happy the team he supports won with a good performance scoring great team goals. It sounds like you are the one who is upset that the team you supposedly support won as you are whingeing about the manager and tactics despite winning 4-1?
Hes upset I dared to critize our beloved ole not with the result. I think we are all happy we actually managed to win a game without depending on a penalty kick.

Its crazy how many united fans have lowered their expectations and ambitions for this club. Ole is a terrible manager.. our rivals pray that he stay in the job because they all know united is zero threat to them under him. Ole probably has more fans in liverpool than he does in manchester at this point.

Most people agree that tactically united has been terrible under ole.. so getting upset at me for saying we were poor tactically just tells me youre spineless fans who are content with mediocrity. I cant even fathom to understand the mind of someone whos backing ole to bring us the premier league title.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just a quick question: why wasn’t the missed penalty taken again as their goalie clearly went off his line before Bruno shot.
He had one foot on the line (or behind it).

Crimson King

Just a quick question: why wasn’t the missed penalty taken again as their goalie clearly went off his line before Bruno shot.
So from what I've read, both on here and in the media, he had one foot behind the line so technically he kept to the rule.

However, it's frustrating because he was actually further off his line than DDG was against Palace, but he was punished because neither of his feet were touching the line, even though they were both very close to it.

Basically, the save yesterday made a complete farce of the new clamp down on the rule using VAR, and now it already needs a rethink.

I imagine every GK will be trying that same move now until they do clarify if better.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Basically, you’re allowed to have one foot over the line. So de Gea was punished for having both feet marginally over the line, but Darlow got away with having one foot well over the line. It’s a technicality that’ll help keepers still get an advantage without actually breaking the rule.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Finally some watchable football from us. All 4 goals were really well taken, no penalty, no deflected shot, just quality.

We played some nice stuff when Donny and Pogba also were on the pitch, those plus Bruno and Mata are just good on the ball.

Also great to see Rashford showing glimpses of his quality.

But Newcastle have not really been up to it, no real pressing from them. I am afraid our defense will be back to their shaky self once we face a decent team.

The next weeks will be massive in judging which direction we are heading to.

wolvored

We extended Pogba to protect his value. And to allow us more options. It doesn't automatically mean we're getting rid. Just means things are in limbo.

Also, McTominay was playing instead of Matic.
Oh must have dropped him for Fred then

giggslover

Random Thoughts

We looked good, not great today.

Over on the match day for PSG people are predicting starting team on Tuesday, with alot of people including Mata in the first XI?? Mata???? They expect someone of his age to go an almost full game then turn around and do at least 60 minutes within 72 hours??. Naw don't see it.

Think Both Pogba and VDB were benched so they will start on Tuesday, as we will have to rotate alot over the next 2 weeks. We will have to use every available player, which begs the question, has Lingard been forgotten totally? Has Williams been dropped down the pecking order with the purchase of Telles?? Shaw seems to be set in stone at LB at the moment.

Martial obviously comes in, Cavani should come in, maybe Greenwood.

Fred and D. James probably worst of the lot today, bad but not horrible, James needs match time IMO. Getting more comfortable with McTominay being available for "big" games if needed. Matic being saved for Tuesday?? Looks like he's aging right before our eyes, we got good value on last year's money for him but we may be paying for it now and going forward.

Worrisome part for me is that it is clear we will be getting NO 50/50 calls our way anytime soon, at least in the EPL. And if what goes around comes around, I'm really not looking forward to the 2nd leg against PSG.

Think we now have an almost top and bottom in the EPL, legit 10 teams who can do us and anyone in former "top 6". Other than maybe Wolves who I "sense" has taken a step back, almost everyone else has strengthened.

Going to be a long road, still up in the air if we can hang onto top 4.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd