PL W FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2020

RedBedlam

Random Thoughts

We looked good, not great today.

Over on the match day for PSG people are predicting starting team on Tuesday, with alot of people including Mata in the first XI?? Mata???? They expect someone of his age to go an almost full game then turn around and do at least 60 minutes within 72 hours??. Naw don't see it.

Think Both Pogba and VDB were benched so they will start on Tuesday, as we will have to rotate alot over the next 2 weeks. We will have to use every available player, which begs the question, has Lingard been forgotten totally? Has Williams been dropped down the pecking order with the purchase of Telles?? Shaw seems to be set in stone at LB at the moment.

Martial obviously comes in, Cavani should come in, maybe Greenwood.

Fred and D. James probably worst of the lot today, bad but not horrible, James needs match time IMO. Getting more comfortable with McTominay being available for "big" games if needed. Matic being saved for Tuesday?? Looks like he's aging right before our eyes, we got good value on last year's money for him but we may be paying for it now and going forward.

Worrisome part for me is that it is clear we will be getting NO 50/50 calls our way anytime soon, at least in the EPL. And if what goes around comes around, I'm really not looking forward to the 2nd leg against PSG.

Think we now have an almost top and bottom in the EPL, legit 10 teams who can do us and anyone in former "top 6". Other than maybe Wolves who I "sense" has taken a step back, almost everyone else has strengthened.

Going to be a long road, still up in the air if we can hang onto top 4.
Watching from afar I liked the look of Williams. What has happened that he has fallen so far down the pecking order?

Sea-Cow

All the ones moaning about Bruno. It is easy to get great passing stats if you are playing short safe passes in the middle of the pitch. Bruno takes risks and tries to make passes that will hurt the opposition. He will produce even on an off day. I wouldn't change him for the world. Did Bruno take the corner for Maguire's goal and didn't he make the pass for Rashford's goal, so shouldn''t he have two assists. He had a brilliant goal disallowed and a penalty saved. Would people be moaning if he had got a hattrick?
I mean, yeah, I would still be annoyed with how cheaply he gives the ball away even if he had a hattrick. I know he his high risk but god it can be infuriating.

Sea-Cow

The general performance was encouraging. Pogba didn't play badly either. VdB really is an intelligent player.

I just wonder why we can't play like that every match.
Because we don't always play Newcastle, mate.

Hammondo

]
Mata is brilliant whole match. MOTM.

DDG what a save at 1-1.

Rashford best game since the covid restart last season.

Bruno passing and link up play was bad all match but what a goal and assist at the end.

James look like a new player and need more confident to have end product.

AWB what a goal.

McGuire good header and very solid in defence.

Fred, McT, Lindelof, Pogba, VDB all look good and sharp.

Most importantly, finally we are able to play as a team. The short one touch passes all over the pitch from our players are a joy to watch. This is the fist time I see we play like this. Usually, the players will take a lot of touches before they pass that slowed down the game.
Bruno's finish was amazing.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Watching from afar I liked the look of Williams. What has happened that he has fallen so far down the pecking order?
The normal hype him up to Evra levels then find out he's not as good as initially thought. He'll probably be decent enough cover for AWB though so not all is lost with him.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I dont think anything has happened. Just managing his development. Like many young players coming in they start off very well and then tail off a little for various reasons. We had opportunities to loan him out and refused so I think he'll get his chances

Zlatattack

Loved the Bruno goal. Great to see AWB score, it'll help his confidence. Dave made a great save too, I hope thats a sign of him getting back to his best. Keepers thrive on confidence.

House Mkhitaryan

Great win yesterday.

As bad as we've started the season, I'm just realizing now that if we were to win our game in hand, we'd be 1 point ahead of Spurs & Chelsea; level with Arsenal, 1 point behind Liverpool and at most 1 point behind City (who also have a game in hand).

RedBedlam

I dont think anything has happened. Just managing his development. Like many young players coming in they start off very well and then tail off a little for various reasons. We had opportunities to loan him out and refused so I think he'll get his chances
Hopefully he continues to develop, liked his energy up and down the flank. Also like to see the young players get a chance. Being from a different generation with a different viewpoint, if you were good enough you played irregardless of age.
These days more about managing development, which also includes loaning out players in order that they get game time.
Not sure once they return are they at a standard required to dislodge players in team?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Hes upset I dared to critize our beloved ole not with the result. I think we are all happy we actually managed to win a game without depending on a penalty kick.

Its crazy how many united fans have lowered their expectations and ambitions for this club. Ole is a terrible manager.. our rivals pray that he stay in the job because they all know united is zero threat to them under him. Ole probably has more fans in liverpool than he does in manchester at this point.

Most people agree that tactically united has been terrible under ole.. so getting upset at me for saying we were poor tactically just tells me youre spineless fans who are content with mediocrity. I cant even fathom to understand the mind of someone whos backing ole to bring us the premier league title.
His tactics were spot on against PSG.

Maybe some of us are sick of the club changing the manager every 2 seasons which is what you seem to be happy with.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
His tactics were spot on against PSG.

Maybe some of us are sick of the club changing the manager every 2 seasons which is what you seem to be happy with.
I gave him plently of credit for psg game on these forums. When he gets it right I have no issue giving him his praise, but when he gets it wrong as he often does.. he'll get criticism. obviously we all want stability in the club, but we also want a good manager. Maybe ole will prove me and many other wrong. If he does I'll be just as happy as all the people who've supported him this whole time.. in the end we all just want to see this club return to where it belongs..

SirAnderson

This is all on Ole and his shit decisions today. Stupid lineup, gave both Mata and James 55 minutes. Diabolical decision to even let James go out for the second half. Then he fecked up again by moving Bruno to the right, completely taking him off the game and letting McTominay and Fred pass the ball around like if we were 3-0 up. Put Greenwood on way too late too, the kid created two chances out of nowhere and made more in 5 minutes than James has done the entire season.

Crazy how he can smile about this at the end. And what is the point of VDB? He's been great in every game that he's played and yet nowhere to be seen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

VivaRonaldo85

Why do I always feel a great level of sadness when I watch Pogba’s contribution in games like that. Sorry, I mean lack of..... 30 mins to change the tone yet.... nothing. That’s not what we signed is it? Dull as dishwater that game.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Newcastle 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd