PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 February 2021

Dudu

Because James was no threat at all (cue the but he scored comments) until a lucky deflection left him 8 yards one on one
He’s a smaller weaker less productive Valencia, runs down blind dead ends and can’t cross past the first man
He played decently, and has done for a couple of games now. Works his socks off defensively too. His crossing needs some work, but he's a naturally a Left winger and Tony could have done better on a few of his crosses. We also attacked more from Rashy and Shaw's side.

And what do you mean, but he scored? That's the bloody point of the game, and what we struggled to do against the likes of SHU and WBA. Not to mention we were 1-1, and the goal changed the dynamic of our play. Also you make it seem like it was some dumb luck goal.. It was still a good finish.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I felt comfortable all match, looked like a game we were always going to win.

lex talionis

:confused:The Caf is such a sad place. So much negativity. Even when we win easily and have 70% possession, most people are posting negative crap.

so telling that the post match comments are 6 pages in a win and 19 in a loss...
Very telling indeed. Truth is, we weren’t horrible in the first half. Yes, a few players did suffer a few mental lapses but the outcome of the match was never in any doubt.

croadyman

Did well after we got the second, scrappy before that, though. We need to stop giving underperforming players important minutes, but at least we can enjoy a win. :drool: Good results in other matches for us as well.
I don't even bother mentioning Ole considering dropping underperforming players because he just closes his ears to the idea of doing that

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mean, is this supposed to be a serious argument? So if he scores one fecking goal out of nowhere, him being shit for 99.9% of the game is fine?
I mean, isn't that what football is about? Scoring goals?

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Martial needs to be dropped for the season.

Another set piece goal conceded. Has to be over 40% of our goals.

Mcguire is terrible.. just all around not a good player.. i dunno how he managed to convince anyone hes worth 80m.

People were harsh on james all game but i thought he did pretty well today. Considering how poorly we played.

People also harsh on shaw but i think he was our best player overall.

I dont expect us to play amazinf every weekend but we need to stop conceding pathetic goals

Denis79

These type of games are usually very difficult for us, I think we did very well.

croadyman

Comfortable home win which hasn't happened enough this season.

with 13 games to play 2nd in table, 6 points ahead of Chelsea in 5th and 9 points ahead of Liverpool in 6th i think most United fans would have taken that before this season that started.
I would but can't help feeling gutted how we lost crucial ground in the games against Sheff Utd, Everton & WBA

croadyman

Mental that we are top scorers in the league and have been banging them in across Europe too.....playing with basically a man down up front all season with Martial playing.

Can't get my head around it. Just keep thinking if we had a real talent in his place we be still in Europe and prob neck and neck with city.

Should be main priority during next transfer to bring in real quality up front to start games.
Do you not think we need to cut down conceding so many sloppy goals first because 32 is not acceptable for a team 2nd in the league

Crustanoid

Dan James an option on the right. How dare he score when he's clearly no good?!
I think we should keep him around as a squad player for a couple of years. If he makes it brill, but if not it’s win win as we can sell him for a profit and he gets developed. We saw what happened with Lingaard

croadyman

I think we should keep him around as a squad player for a couple of years. If he makes it brill, but if not it’s win win as we can sell him for a profit and he gets developed. We saw what happened with Lingaard
Yeah maybe we can get some cash for Jesse in the summer if he keeps on performing well for West Ham, however if they want him that bad then Rice should be brought up in the conversation too.

alexthelion

Just seen the replay of the Newcastle goal. Maguire should have headed the ball out of play. It seems he just throws his head at the ball and hopes for the best.

He's a terrible header of the ball.
IMO the blame mostly lies on DDG. he should have come for the cross (but we all know he won't) and also should have saved the shot.

Crustanoid

Yeah maybe we can get some cash for Jesse in the summer if he keeps on performing well for West Ham, however if they want him that bad then Rice should be brought up in the conversation too.
That would be an ideal scenario. I’d take a 50mil + Jesse deal for Rice

always_hoping

I would but can't help feeling gutted how we lost crucial ground in the games against Sheff Utd, Everton & WBA
That's the way a season goes, some games you are expected to win you drop points in. It even happened during the day's of Fergusons.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The goal annoyed me. First off, why is De Gea going all Hollywood and tipping a ball over the goal and diving on a shot straight down the middle. That was very catchable. He just wanted to make it look a lot harder of a save than it was. Secondly, why is Maguire heading it back into trouble. Head that to the corner. And finally, why is nobody marking Maxima? No way should have be able to hit that on the volley from 15 yards out. Other than that, solid performance. Surprised at how much Newcastle pressed...

dave1956

A couple of observations : 1 Maguire can head a ball but does not appear to have the ability to put direction on his heading of the ball. So there will be times like Newcastle's goal when he will head back into the danger zone. It is also a reason why he misses so many goal scoring opportunities from corners and cross balls, his headers lack direction. ( He should look at Cavani's headed goals where he puts direction on the header and not just heading the ball )
2. Teams have scored a number of goals against us this season from between 18 and 25 yards out just like Newcastle's goal, miss- directed clearance out of defence or opposition player collecting the ball and nobody goes towards him either to make a tackle, block or making the shot more difficult.
Number 1 could be over come by coaching, practice and continuous practice. Number two by again coaching, practice, training drills and on field communication by the players themselves.

SirMattlives

Not terribly exciting but some comments here are over the top. We won. Comfortably in the end with a slightly weakened team. If some other team had this result we’d be saying ‘look, X always crank out a win, why can’t we be more like that’. Well we were like that.

I was impressed enough with James. He used to just run fast in whatever direction he was looking but at least now seems to be intent on moving toward goal and shutting opponents down. For the first time in a while I thought we looked ok on the right side, as opposed to it going to AWB who inevitably passes back. Consequently everything constructive has been going down the left for a long time and everyone we play knows it. James’ crossing needs improving but I’d have said the same about Shaw until recently so there’s hope. Hell, I even saw Lindelof pass forward today instead of knocking it two yards sideways to Maguire...who knew?

I do think our defense is so fragile still. I dread corners, our spine seems so weak - If Maguire does not head it well clear, anything can happen, and usually does. de Gea so rarely cuts out crosses, Lindelof is no physical presence and other teams know these things and it gives them encouragement. Defend deep then hope to press our defenders into an error on a set piece or defensive clearance— seems to work. I don’t think this can be corrected without at least one of our CBs being changed. I like Bailly but he’s made of glass, so we need another option.

Martial? I don’t know...he’s in a fallow period....I’d hope there’s a plan here but hoping he’ll play himself out of it seems less viable as the games go on. But hey, 2nd, top scorers, there’s some progress here (Just don’t think about how 5-6 points we lost in games against Everton, WBA and Sheff U might have placed us....we’re doing ok).

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Despite being the cliched "fallen giants" am surprised at how we are still every wee team's cup final. I think there is second competition going on within the league. The "Don't let United win" trophy.

Red00012

:confused:The Caf is such a sad place. So much negativity. Even when we win easily and have 70% possession, most people are posting negative crap.

so telling that the post match comments are 6 pages in a win and 19 in a loss...
I’d advise not going into the OGS discussion now re branded as the “Ole out” discussion

cyril C

Very telling indeed. Truth is, we weren’t horrible in the first half. Yes, a few players did suffer a few mental lapses but the outcome of the match was never in any doubt.
Agree. We did not presented too many gaps in 1st half apart from Maguire's soft "assist". It was newcastle's effort that caused us problem, predictably after European games. It was a much improvement compared with Sheffield and WBA game, in terms of concentration and effort.

JustinC00

Somehow we won a game 3-1 with current form Martial at striker, the MF 2 being Fred-Matic, Lindelof-Maguire-DDG and Dan James at RW. Who cares how we played, wasn't ever gonna be pretty when you are playing with a team that if you were ranking the current team's strongest possible starting xI to weakest it wouldn't even be top 5

downunder red

I'm sorry everyone but I really enjoyed that game. After traveling to Turin and with the injuries mounting up I could see a banana skin of a game coming but it didn't. At the age of 19 it was good to give Mason more rest because I really think he is showing some form for the end of the season. We played a 17 year old ffs that is brilliant. James scores again and runs his socks off for the team, fkn brilliant. Hopefully a confidence boosting goal for Rashford, brilliant. Another good game from Shaw. He looks dangerous every time he goes forward.

The only real downer is Martial. Needs to be dropped and I would rather have some one like Mata as a false 9. Seriously he could not do any worse than what we have there at the moment.

RashysTekkers

We must have won, seeing there's only 6 pages of post match thread. Wish we had lost the game so that I can further my stupid agenda towards the players, the manager and the club.

Saltiness aside, this is a typical bumpy game after the midweek European game. Shaky at the start and end up cruising comfortably.

SirScholes

He played decently, and has done for a couple of games now. Works his socks off defensively too. His crossing needs some work, but he's a naturally a Left winger and Tony could have done better on a few of his crosses. We also attacked more from Rashy and Shaw's side.

And what do you mean, but he scored? That's the bloody point of the game, and what we struggled to do against the likes of SHU and WBA. Not to mention we were 1-1, and the goal changed the dynamic of our play. Also you make it seem like it was some dumb luck goal.. It was still a good finish.
Because a more effective player could have led us to scoring more. It was dumb luck how the goal came about so the % of us having successful attacks drops if we are relying on luck. He didn’t beat his first man almost at all I think one he chipped in.
Then times he didn’t run blindly to the corner he ran blindly into the centre so we were easy to defend against.
Don’t get me wrong martial was much worse, having them two in the same starting 11 was the death of our goal threat

I had the same convo regarding lingard “but he works his socks off”, he may do but ultimately that’s not enough

SirScholes

Because a more effective player could have led us to scoring more. It was dumb luck how the goal came about so the % of us having successful attacks drops if we are relying on luck. He didn’t beat his first man almost at all I think one he chipped in.
Then times he didn’t run blindly to the corner he ran blindly into the centre so we were easy to defend against.
Don’t get me wrong martial was much worse, having them two in the same starting 11 was the death of our goal threat (see wba match)

I had the same convo regarding lingard “but he works his socks off”, he may do but ultimately that’s not enough

Alek M

Da manic one
If you do not vote Matic as motm then you are clueless about football

Why can't we make simple square passes and score simple tap ins in the box. Game is done and for the last 15 min we overcomplicate things

James was awful apart from the goal. Many poor decisions and not a single good cross

Andy_Cole

Why can't we make simple square passes and score simple tap ins in the box. Game is done and for the last 15 min we overcomplicate things

James was awful apart from the goal. Many poor decisions and not a single good cross
You’re clueless about football

Flexdegea

Do you not think we need to cut down conceding so many sloppy goals first because 32 is not acceptable for a team 2nd in the league

Will I have been moaning about the defence the most.

Comedy show at the back. Not sure who you fix it at this stage without have to buy players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Not sure about MOTM as he started really poorly first half, but I agree in the second half Matic was very good. Fred had a really off day so it was vital that Matic got his passing right and in the second half he played some lovely passes between the lines.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle